PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Film Gems

BigGameHunter
21-07-2005, 01:51:41
Here's the challenge: name a film (let's start with our #1, shall we?) that you think most people have missed but really should see, no matter what. Something most of us could probably find without too much trouble--not "that one Swedish thing about the fly that lives in this guy's nose, made in 1952 and only released to Lazer Disc 30 years later".
I'd like to hunt some down and watch them...

OK...my #1 would have to be...oh, shit...I'm going to break my own rule already and give you two:

True Romance (major cool ensemble--Hopper, Slater, S. Jackson, Gary Oldman, Val Kilmer...many more)
and
The Mission (Jeremy Irons and De Niro). One of the best scenes in a movie ever.
Get 'em.

And someone feel free to start Hidden Literary Gems, if you like.

King_Ghidra
21-07-2005, 09:18:52
I don't think most people have missed True Romance....have they?
I think the mission is ok. The score is probably better than the film tbh :D

A film that would have completely passed me by had it not been for various mentions on this forum is Silent Running. Great film.

For my own suggestion i'll go with Mean Streets - Scorcese's first proper film (i think), with de niro's first proper role (i think) and superbly suported by Harvey Keitel and others. It presages every thing else scorcese has made, and every performance de niro and keitel have made. Wonderful film.

novacane
21-07-2005, 09:58:19
This seems like a place to mention City of God, a film depicting the true story of a guy who grew up in one of Rio's most notorious slums. Lots of gang warfare, great soundtrack, slick production. Its a must see. Subtitles.

Another one I stumbled across is Quiet Days in Clichy. This is a Henry Miller film and could be best described as Withnail and I set in Paris - instead of drink, the vice is sex. It boldly declares on the cover that it was banned for 33 years. There are some fairly REAL sex scenes, rather too much in the opening half an hour, but then the "plot" begins to move along, albeit quite slowly. Its perhaps a bit (too) arty in places but I found it pretty funny. Still not entirely sure that was the intention.........?

Gramercy Riffs
21-07-2005, 10:17:01
Duel

Speilberg's first film. A great film, essentially a cat and mouse story between a driver and a mysterious truck driver relentlessly following him for no apparent reason. It is never explained why, but its an excellent film. There are no characters, no real plot and only a car and a truck on a deserted highway for 90 odd minutes, yet it still grips your attention. A masterclass in film making.

Debaser
21-07-2005, 10:23:19
The Taking Of Pelham 123:
Probably my favourite film of all time if push came to shove. A proper gritty 70's New York film about the hijacking of a tube train, and the inspiration for the Mr Brown, Mr Pink type stuff in Reservoir Dogs. Stars Walter Matthau.

Rushmore:
Not really too obscure, but gerenally not given the credit it deserves in my opinion. Funny as fuck. One of Bill Murry's best performances. A million times better than the more popular The Royal Tenenbaums, Wes Anderson's follow up film.

Walrus Feeder
21-07-2005, 12:48:43
Yeah, Debaser, Taking of Pelham 123 was class. I especially love the ending when the guy thinks he's got away with it but then does his distinctive sneeze, a sound which Walter Matthau recognizes. The closing second of his face is unforgettable!
:)

Also Walter Hill's 1979 film 'The Warriors' (Recognize Grammercy Riffs??) is good and has a fantastic intro. Turned into a cult hit and I think there is a P2 game of it soon!

Walrus Feeder
21-07-2005, 12:54:01
This was really compelling too, one of De Niro's lesser known films. http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6304884419.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

novacane
21-07-2005, 14:04:01
Originally posted by Walrus Feeder
Also Walter Hill's 1979 film 'The Warriors' (Recognize Grammercy Riffs??) is good and has a fantastic intro. Turned into a cult hit and I think there is a P2 game of it soon!

The Super Furry Animals used the track from the Warriors intro for their live intro on a tour a couple of years back. To great effect.

The Norks
21-07-2005, 15:49:16
Originally posted by Gramercy Riffs
Duel

Speilberg's first film. A great film, essentially a cat and mouse story between a driver and a mysterious truck driver relentlessly following him for no apparent reason. It is never explained why, but its an excellent film. There are no characters, no real plot and only a car and a truck on a deserted highway for 90 odd minutes, yet it still grips your attention. A masterclass in film making.

that's one of my fave films. You an see early elements that were later used in films like Jaws. YOu spend the entire film gripping your chair!

Along the same lines there was a good film made called Roadkill (in the states but had a diff name here) with Paul Walker that I thought was greatly underestimated. It had some fantastic direction and the acting was fab. The plot was similar but it was even more scary. There's a great scene where they are listening though a wall and you find yourself actually leaning in to listen, a bit like the telephone scene in Rosemary's Baby.

My hidden gem, although i don't know how hidden it is really, would be Punch Drunk Love with Adam Sandler. Who knew he could act? Its mad and funny and touching.

Lazarus and the Gimp
21-07-2005, 21:11:36
"The Company of Wolves"

It was marketed as horror, but it isn't. It's a lush, Freudian fairytale that is pretty surreal. It gets pretty scary in parts, and has one of the most shattering endings ever- it just confounds expectations.

The Norks
21-07-2005, 21:18:48
Is that based on the Angela Carter story?

MOBIUS
21-07-2005, 22:59:59
There's some great picks here - I would have mentioned Silent Running as that is one of my all time faves...

Seeing as the word 'warriors' was mentioned, how about Once Were Warriors. A gritty NZ tale about a dysfunctional inner-city Maori family and their trials and tribulations...

BigGameHunter
22-07-2005, 16:28:24
Wasn't aware True Romance was widely seen. Perhaps it is more popular there than here? Most people I mention it to in the States haven't seen it yet.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
23-07-2005, 14:46:39
'The Secret of Roan Inish'- an unusual John Sayles film in that it incorporates Celtic folk tales and is set on and around an island off the coast of Ireland.

If any has small children this is ideal for a winter's afternoon- guaranteed to keep them quiet. Worked on my old boss's mother too- who was brought up on a Scottish island with Scots Gaelic as her first language.

jsorense
24-07-2005, 20:21:03
A Walk in the Sun (1945)

BTW: All John Sayles' movies are worth a serious look.

Lazarus and the Gimp
24-07-2005, 20:57:10
Originally posted by The Norks
Is that based on the Angela Carter story?

It's based on about three Angela Carter short stories, all worked into a single story- one of the is "The company of wolves". Carter assisted with the adaptation.

devilmunchkin
25-07-2005, 08:17:29
Brazil
Big Trouble in LIttle China..lol..just kidding

BigGameHunter
27-07-2005, 05:34:32
Big Trouble in Little China is a great movie. It's all about "enjoying it for what it is". Yeah, it's campy, silly, underproduced...but it has some really hilarious moments and a good vibe.

devilmunchkin
27-07-2005, 20:38:21
it's one of those "it's so bad it's good" movies..like Kung Pow

Fergus & The Brazen Car
29-07-2005, 09:56:34
The original Franco-Dutch version of 'The Vanishing'.

It makes the remake (alas by the same director) appear to be the bucket of Hollywoodized slops it is.

The 'villain' is a lot more like Mr. Bourgeois than the Joey Demento stage villain in the American version- which is of course one of the main themes of the film.

paiktis22
29-07-2005, 21:09:28
The Believer.

The interest for it came after I read in the face (i think it's a british mag which i bought in a harbor in italy) that it was banned by the jewish lobby in the US. The mag was a bit bragging that this wasn't the case in the uk. then it kind had left my mind. some weeks afterwards when vacation was over and i was back in greece, it was quoted in the "movie selections" in some newspaper. but only a few, like one or two, cinemas were playing it. so i took my car and went to some posh rich district of athens i havent been before in a dungeon of a cinema that as i found out was below the earth (!yes!) to watch it.
maybe because i was alone i focused completely on the movie and became absorbed 100%. so i left feeling strangely, it had impact on me.
now i dont know if it is shit or not but at the time i was really ecstatic about it. it was a little like "fight club meets torah". deals with self hate, atheism and rejection of upbringing on a scenery of racism, violence and jewish religion pushed to its archaic primordial limits! when god was bad! it has an amazing ending.