PDA

View Full Version : Too many cooks


Drekkus
20-07-2005, 11:11:17
do what?

Funko
20-07-2005, 11:15:43
spoil the broth

Drekkus
20-07-2005, 11:20:01
broth?

Greg W
20-07-2005, 11:21:03
It's short for brother.

Funko
20-07-2005, 11:21:46
Broth is thin soup.

Nills Lagerbaak
20-07-2005, 11:26:40
You are wrong! A broth can be quite thick. A gruel however is a thin soup.

Broth sounds thick
gruel sounds thin.

protein
20-07-2005, 11:28:53
I disagree.

Gruel is sloppy thick stuff that you'd feed an orphan with.

protein
20-07-2005, 11:29:17
Broth is what you'd get if you boiled a severed head.

Koyaanisqatsi
20-07-2005, 11:29:30
Gruel only exists in fairy tales.

MoSe
20-07-2005, 11:35:13
what a gruelty

I'll take more broth, I'll take a brother

what about consommé then?

Nills Lagerbaak
20-07-2005, 11:36:52
hmm, both wrong

gruel - of Germanic origin

n : a thin porridge (usually oatmeal or cornmeal)

Funko's right

broth ( P ) Pronunciation Key (brôth, brth)
n. pl. broths (brôths, brths, brôthz, brthz)
The water in which meat, fish, or vegetables have been boiled; stock.
A thin, clear soup based on stock, to which rice, barley, meat, or vegetables may be added.
A liquid containing nutrients for culturing microorganisms: “ [They] grew bacteria in a small flask of broth” (Horace Freeland Judson).


However I love Scotch Broth, with huge chunks of beef, potatoes and pearl barley, Yum. I'm hungry now.

Funko
20-07-2005, 11:37:44
I have been right twice in the space of an hour.

I might need to lie down.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
20-07-2005, 11:39:04
Originally posted by Drekkus
broth?

Breitje

MoSe
20-07-2005, 11:39:31
we'll leave you to simmer in your own broth

(and that's another real italian saying)

Dyl Ulenspiegel
20-07-2005, 11:39:55
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak

broth ( P ) Pronunciation Key (brôth, brth)
n. pl. broths (brôths, brths, brôthz, brthz)
The water in which meat, fish, or vegetables have been boiled; stock.
A thin, clear soup based on stock, to which rice, barley, meat, or vegetables may be added.
A liquid containing nutrients for culturing microorganisms: “ [They] grew bacteria in a small flask of broth” (Horace Freeland Judson).


Now I'm not sure whether this is related to Brot, Brei or Brühe.

MoSe
20-07-2005, 11:41:01
considering that
broth in italian is brodo,
then froth is frodo?

Funko
20-07-2005, 11:42:07
Maybe brot - normally eat it by soaking it up with bread.

If you were really poor it'd be a way of getting a hot meal out of water and bread and maybe some old meat bones or something.

Nills Lagerbaak
20-07-2005, 11:43:40
Yeah, basically hot water with a little flavour. Kind of what stock is now I guess.

Let them eat stock.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
20-07-2005, 11:43:42
Well, bread was initially a lot more like beer (Bier) - another one, maybe. And Brat-

http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/roots/zzb03600.html

"Derivatives include brew, bread, broth, brood, breed, ferment, and fervent."

Interesting in a Moseic way....

Funko
20-07-2005, 11:44:23
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
Yeah, basically hot water with a little flavour. Kind of what stock is now I guess.

Let them eat stock.

Waterman would be a tasty snack too...

I'll get my coat.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
20-07-2005, 11:45:27
"Yeah, basically hot water with a little flavour"="Stock-Aitkin-Waterman" (?)

MoSe
20-07-2005, 11:46:18
Originally posted by Dyl Ulenspiegel
"Derivatives include brew, bread, broth, brood, breed, ferment, and fervent."

Interesting in a Moseic way....

INDEED!

And braciola (di maiale = pork chop steak)!

Nills Lagerbaak
20-07-2005, 11:46:39
Oh God.

Funko
20-07-2005, 11:47:07
^ he's so excited he just came.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
20-07-2005, 11:47:41
And spoiled his broth.

Funko
20-07-2005, 11:48:08
How do you think it gets it's flavour?

Drekkus
20-07-2005, 11:48:24
Originally posted by Dyl Ulenspiegel
"Yeah, basically hot water with a little flavour"="Stock-Aitkin-Waterman" (?) God will forever give you up,
never gonna let you in,
he's gonna turn around,
and desert you

MoSe
20-07-2005, 11:49:43
what's for desert? cake? YES PLEASE!

Funko
20-07-2005, 11:50:14
You can only look at it.