Depends...

Tizzy
19-07-2005, 13:40:49
NEVER call tech support.

Bloody users :bash:

Immortal Wombat
19-07-2005, 14:07:11
That was a smiley typo. Should've been :bash:

The amusing thing is that this time I think it was my stupid mistake causing the problem anyway. Not that tech support found it, but nevermind.

Nav
19-07-2005, 14:11:52
Yeah throwing your PC out a window is a small mistake on your part.

Tizzy
19-07-2005, 14:12:53
Only if you forget to open the window first

Funko
20-07-2005, 18:52:29
I'm currently on hold with tech support who are more confused by my connection miraculously fixing itself than they were by the fault.

Cruddy
20-07-2005, 19:11:43
Fixing a computer will always confuse tech support people.

I mean, if there weren't any problems at all I'd be out of a job.

devilmunchkin
20-07-2005, 20:48:19
i am tech support at my company..it sucks...
sometimes i wanna scream "FIX IT YOURSELF YOU LAZY BASTARD!"

Lazarus and the Gimp
20-07-2005, 21:16:45
I phone them with a sense of dreary inevitability that they'll tell me to reboot, before giving up and sending out an engineer.

Gary
20-07-2005, 22:05:46
They send an engineer :eek: ?

Usually I find the person at the other end of the line simply knows where the help menu is, so they can suggest lots of things I've already tried. And seem to have a list of instructions that go ...

1. Try anything from the help menu.
2. If that doesn't work, reboot the PC.
3. If that doesn't work, insist the only solution is to format the hard disk and reinstall Windows again. If I don't agree, then the 'incident' is closed and I am deemed to be happy with the solution.

Lazarus and the Gimp
20-07-2005, 22:07:33
Originally posted by Gary
They send an engineer :eek: ?

At work, yes. They fear me.

devilmunchkin
23-07-2005, 07:39:34
they call them engineers on your side of the pond? we call ours the hardware guy.
had an incident where a client ran a program that required all other users to be off the software when she ran it...well..she ran it and they were on..causing errors to form in the program..and it's my job to fix her mistake. *sigh*

i also teach people the wonders of the num lock key...

Oerdin
23-07-2005, 16:54:31
Yes, it's funny when the "experts" are revealed to not know what they're doing. ;)

I must admit that on the rare occasions I have called them Dell's tech support seemed to be unusually competent in their jobs.

MoSe
25-07-2005, 09:43:55
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
they call them engineers on your side of the pond? we call ours the hardware guy.
lol, in my previous job by an industrial design company we called ourselves just the "tech support". They had hired a few 3rd party designers, some of which foreign.
I went once to fix the AutoCAD on a Turkish girl PC, and her english was even more broken than mine. She kept referring that the HelpDesk operator promised they'd have sent a "system engineer" to fix her problem, to which I replied that I didn't know squat about "system engineers", I was just the tech support guy and I was there making her AutoCAD installation work again.

It was then when I learned that in english my position was called indeed "system engineer" :lol:

BTW, she looked at me with admiration at how I was the only one in the company heeding to her problems and able to help her. I thought she was kinda cute, and had a smart conversation, once we managed to understand each other.
I was on the verge of making a move on her, too bad her 3rd party company treated her as "cattle workforce" and relocated her to Japan only 2 days later, I never heard about her again...

Forgive my oldfartish out-of-topic memories...

Kitsuki
25-07-2005, 10:23:42
She asked for a quick transfer - didnt she? Didnt she...? ;)

MoSe
25-07-2005, 10:26:43
:lol:
"please, send me to the ANTIPODES, QUICK!!!"
:lol: :(

Drekkus
25-07-2005, 10:28:53
Originally posted by MoSe
lol, in my previous job by an industrial design company we called ourselves just the "tech support". They had hired a few 3rd party designers, some of which foreign.
I went once to fix the AutoCAD on a Turkish girl PC, and her english was even more broken than mine. She kept referring that the HelpDesk operator promised they'd have sent a "system engineer" to fix her problem, to which I replied that I didn't know squat about "system engineers", I was just the tech support guy and I was there making her AutoCAD installation work again.

It was then when I learned that in english my position was called indeed "system engineer" :lol:

BTW, she looked at me with admiration at how I was the only one in the company heeding to her problems and able to help her. I thought she was kinda cute, and had a smart conversation, once we managed to understand each other.
I was on the verge of making a move on her, too bad her 3rd party company treated her as "cattle workforce" and relocated her to Japan only 2 days later, I never heard about her again...

Forgive my oldfartish out-of-topic memories... Aaah, that's the purest love, when reality hasn't spoiled a perfect image, and never will.