PDA

View Full Version : I cancelled cable.

Oerdin
18-07-2005, 05:35:50
It wasn't a money issue but I did get pissed when the bastards raised the rate again for the second time in three months even though service hadn't been improved nor any new stations added. That was just the last straw for me. I also cancelled my cable modem and replaced it with a DSL connection which costs $10 less per month.

I never watched much TV other then CNN, PBS, and the history channel but now I doubt I'll watch much TV at all since I'll alonely have about six local stations. Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative to cable? I imagine satallite is the only way to go since we don't have digital terrestrial.

TV4Fun
18-07-2005, 07:28:54
www.ess.tv It's only $5 a month and well worth it.

devilmunchkin
18-07-2005, 08:06:53
oerdin..you have Cox? we have then and our rates have gone up quite a bit..
never got any cable b/c we couldn't afford it..but i had to redo our phone with them b/c the general phone plan we had plus internet was starting to cost us about $70 per month..we we didn't use the phone:/

Gary
18-07-2005, 08:57:52
Or you could use this as an opportunity to get a life ! Sling that TV in the bin.

MDA
18-07-2005, 11:55:52
A regular poster on an internet forum just told you to get a life Oerdin. :p

We're all in the same boat here.

Gary
18-07-2005, 13:00:04
Didn't say I had one, but my TV is still going ok ;)

Oerdin
18-07-2005, 16:10:37
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
oerdin..you have Cox? we have then and our rates have gone up quite a bit..
never got any cable b/c we couldn't afford it..but i had to redo our phone with them b/c the general phone plan we had plus internet was starting to cost us about $70 per month..we we didn't use the phone:/

Southwestern which I think is owned by Time-Warner. I got a discount on my cable bill because I had a cable modem but the speed of their cable modem service had slowed down to a crawl since the system was loaded with to many people. When I first bought it a few years ago it was blazing fast but now I get a faster connection from DSL and it costs $10 less per month.

Oerdin
18-07-2005, 16:11:36
Originally posted by Gary
Or you could use this as an opportunity to get a life ! Sling that TV in the bin.

Like I said in the OP I only really watch 3-4 stations. None of them are what most people would call pop culture.

The Norks
18-07-2005, 16:12:12
TiVo?

I dont know what that is, but they mention it on American TV a lot

Oerdin
18-07-2005, 16:15:02
It's an electronic gizmo that you connect to your TV and it automatically records what ever shows you want so you can watch them later when you feel like it. I believe it also takes out the commercials.

Personally, I would never buy one just because I would shoot myself if I watched enough TV to justify the cost of buying one.

The Mad Monk
18-07-2005, 16:48:32
You can get the same functionality on your computer with a TV tuner card and the right software.

Oerdin
18-07-2005, 16:52:02
I actually have a tv tuner card. Supposedly my computer came with one though I've never used it.

Diss
18-07-2005, 21:32:34
tivo seems like a waste of money. My VCR does the same exact thing. :p

I just hit the fast forward button to scan through the commercials.

Tivo is probably for those people too stupid to program a VCR.

I still have Cox cable. My bill is about $106 per month. This includes my cable modem access which is about $40 a month. I also have HBO, and I used the digital tuner for digital cable. That's a little extra.

Venom
18-07-2005, 21:46:01
This thread gives me a panic attack.

I love my cable and I love my DVR. You fucking luddites can eat a dick.

Cruddy
18-07-2005, 22:08:53
Well, anything to panic Venom...

...I don't even watch TV. I don't even have time to watch TV. I'll catch a sports match on the radio and other electronic entertainment is digital.

Brit for Tivo = Skybox+. Although that usually only has an 80gb hard drive so it's pretty average.

Satellite internet sucks for online gaming. In fact, at current prices it just sucks.

Unfortunately in UK EVERY SINGLE DSL connection pays British Telecom 17.50 or so a month... :(

Luckily not many people have cable TV in my area so the internet is pretty quick.

One benefit of living where I do.

Funko
19-07-2005, 10:03:37
You used to be able to get TiVo here but it bombed.

MDA
19-07-2005, 12:02:19
I'm only paying 50-odd dollars a month for extended cable TV with cable modem service - but my cable company is about to get eaten up in chunks by Comcast and/or TimeWarner. I fully expect a huge price increase when that finally happens.

Venom
19-07-2005, 13:11:28
$117 for Cable, Cable Modem, DVR, and extra HD channels. And that's with Time Warner so start looking forward to that MDA.