PDA

View Full Version : Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

BigGameHunter
17-07-2005, 22:09:10
I liked it, though it did get a bit repititious after awhile. Another movie that depicts Americans as completely crass and twisted, the British as either suffering noble poor or elitist scum and the Germans as fat pigs. Pretty accurate.
Depp was very "queer" in this one and some dude named Deep Roy stole the show as the ubiquitous Oompa Loompa.
Needed a bit more flesh on the bone, but highly entertaining--especially so, I imagine, if you partook in a good dose of Wonka Weed before you went.

protein
17-07-2005, 23:41:58
Strange, I thought all films depicted Americans as the good guys and the British guy was always without a doubt the villain.

This does look good. Although the original adaptation is still one of my favorite films so I will probably be comparing it to the "original".

The Norks
17-07-2005, 23:45:36
I think Johnny Depp is in danger of becoming a modern curiosity.

MDA
18-07-2005, 11:22:29
that's dangerous?

alsieboo
18-07-2005, 11:36:43
I love Johnny and I can't wait to see this

The Norks
18-07-2005, 15:17:35
well I mean, that he seems to accept these twee sideshow roles now and hardly makes good use of his not inconsiderable acting talent.

Debaser
18-07-2005, 16:10:04
These "twee sideshow roles" are his trademark. Think back to Edward Scissorhands, Benny & Joon, Sleepy Hollow, Nick of Time, Don Juan, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Dead Man etc... All fairly small budget stuff. C&tCF is about the 4th Tim Burton film he's made, and by far the most high profile, and the 3 PotC films are far more mainstream than anything he's ever done before.

protein
18-07-2005, 16:20:38
I'd hate for him to go mainstream. He picks good scripts and interesting ideas over cliches and predictability.

Funko
18-07-2005, 16:25:58
She didn't say he should go mainstream she said he should take more challenging acting roles...

I think he's particularly good at playing weirdos though, and think they are a good use of his talents (well stuff like Gilbert Grape more than Pirates or CatCF maybe...)

The Norks
19-07-2005, 02:51:41
yeah I just think he is being categorised as a slightly campy character actor, or 'asexual weirdo'. There's no doubt he can do that, but I wish he'd do something different for once. He is probably the best actor of his generation, and yet he doesn't really do anything that anyone will remember in 20 years time. I think, ironically, Pirates was his best recent film. It would be a shame if he was best remembered for that, he's so much better than just a pantomime dame.

Greg W
19-07-2005, 03:38:01
What's eating Gilbert Grape was another odd role...

The Norks
19-07-2005, 12:53:32
At least JD was playing a normal guy in that though, and wasn't required to wear facepaint for at least half the film. I dunno, I'm a huge Depp fan, I'm just a bit bored of the typecasting. I'd like to see him play a really evil murderous villain (not that Stephen King tripe he did- although that could have been could excellent given a decent script) or an action hero or a shakespearean lead or just Something, anything other than a goodhearted but odd looking outsider with a camp voice. I know he's Tim Burton's muse but I think its a mistake to stick with the same director so much. I will of course, be sure to express these views to him should I ever have a chance, and not just dribble on his pirate boots :D

Whats eating GG- I thought Leo 'Chickpea face' Di Caprio stole that film.

I saw a really good quote about him a while back, it said Leo could have been the Paul Newman of his generation, but instead he chose to be the Tom Cruise.

I think its quite true.

HelloKitty
20-07-2005, 06:00:52
Originally posted by protein
Strange, I thought all films depicted Americans as the good guys and the British guy was always without a doubt the villain.

This does look good. Although the original adaptation is still one of my favorite films so I will probably be comparing it to the "original".

I just got back and I was comparing it to the original as well, and also the book.

I no longer have any urge to see the original again.

I am also creeped out by squirrels now.

Greg W
20-07-2005, 06:58:02
I thought JD was pretty good in the Matrix films, and didn't have paint all over his face...

Funko
20-07-2005, 09:16:23
Originally posted by HelloKitty
I just got back and I was comparing it to the original as well, and also the book.

I no longer have any urge to see the original again.

I am also creeped out by squirrels now.

Hey, that's high praise indeed.

Funko
20-07-2005, 09:16:55
Assuming you liked the film... I loved the book but thought the film was a bit shit.

devilmunchkin
23-07-2005, 07:26:09
i laughed the whole way though the move..although i do agree, after the first 2 oompa lompa songs i was ready for those to stop

BigGameHunter
27-07-2005, 05:32:17
It was very formulaic: scene/song/scene/song/scene/song...I seem to recall the first was pretty much that way too.

I think I'll read all of Roald Dahl's books again. I loved them as a kid and he has a really neat style. As usual, the film doesn't do it justice...no emotion connection. Damn...UK writers are so fucking good!

protein
01-08-2005, 21:03:58
Great film! The squirrels were awesome. They actually trained real squirrels to do that shit.

I quite liked the song and dance routines, the chap who starred as the oompa loompas was fantastic. He must have worked ridiculously hard.

I still prefer the original but this is very good in a different way.

I might have to dig out some old Roald Dahl books too. I remember really enjoying his biographies. I've never tried any of his adult books, that might be worth a go.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
01-08-2005, 23:39:59
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
...after the first 2 oompa lompa songs i was ready for those to stop

So just like the original film then.

Debaser
03-08-2005, 23:13:43
Saw this yesterday, and it's shit. Really really dull and insubstantial. The bit before they enter the factory is good, and if you've never seen a Tim Burton film before then it looks pretty, but if you have then it's nothing you haven't seen before and done better in Edward Scissorhands and the Nightmare Before Christmas. Depp was rubbish (and I'm a big fan), really hamming his role up well beyond the call of duty, and the song and dance numbers are trite, and will date really fast and badly.

The best thing was the random 2001 bit, and I'm still not sure why it's there 'cos it makes no sense as far as I can work out.

4/10

protein
03-08-2005, 23:17:59
Strange. This is the first Tim Burton film I've genuinely liked.

RedFred
24-08-2005, 03:31:33
Well I haven't seen it.

But my friend's 12-year old daughter said it sucked compared to Willy Wonka.

alsieboo
19-09-2005, 12:33:24
I loved it, I want the soundtrack and I think I'm going to buy the dvd so I can enjoy it over and over again in the comfort of my own home