PDA

View Full Version : Sunburn

Lazarus and the Gimp
16-07-2005, 19:34:38
I have frazzled myself. A day trip to the Gower, and it was cloudy. I thought "Ooooooh, no need for sunscreen. I'll just go without"

Mistake! Fun day, though.

alsieboo
16-07-2005, 19:49:15
Ha ha, gutted. I'm sitll delightfully pale and interesting.

Lazarus and the Gimp
16-07-2005, 20:17:13
Aw, bless. The Eden Prosper of wherever-you-come-from.

alsieboo
16-07-2005, 20:31:26
Yep :D I've always wanted to be just like her

Lazarus and the Gimp
16-07-2005, 20:35:35
She used to post on one of my other forums. While she's an attractive lass, let me assure you that you appear to have a distinct advantage where brains and communication skills are concerned.

alsieboo
16-07-2005, 22:49:31
whoo, go me! and :( Eden's not allowed to be dumb.

Diss
16-07-2005, 23:04:12
what is this object called the sun?

alsieboo
16-07-2005, 23:16:28
tabloid

Oerdin
16-07-2005, 23:34:00
I have freckles on my sholders in the shape of backpack strapes because in 2001 I was in Nevada doing a geologic field study in White Pine County, NV. I had convinced myself that I didn't get freckles when I burned (since I had never gotten freckles before) and that I didn't need sun screen. The Irish-Australian TA tried to convince me that sun screen was very necissary and he even told me that Australia had the world's highest skin cancer rate because people with my complection (I'm half Scottish, 1/4 English, 1/4 French-Canadian) spent to much time in the sun.

The short story is I got the worst sun burn of my life and because I was wearing a backpack the area covered by the strapes wasn't burned but everything else was. To this day I have soft white unblemished skin where those strapes were and freckled skin where they weren't. I wish I had worn sunblock.

KrazyHorse@home
17-07-2005, 07:02:52
Or at least taken off your backpack

devilmunchkin
17-07-2005, 07:58:43
i also have freckles on my shoulders from a bad burn i got when i was in the fourth grade..
anyone else love the smell of aloe on a sunburn?

Diss
17-07-2005, 08:06:00
Originally posted by Oerdin
I have freckles on my sholders in the shape of backpack strapes because in 2001 I was in Nevada doing a geologic field study in White Pine County, NV. I had convinced myself that I didn't get freckles when I burned (since I had never gotten freckles before) and that I didn't need sun screen. The Irish-Australian TA tried to convince me that sun screen was very necissary and he even told me that Australia had the world's highest skin cancer rate because people with my complection (I'm half Scottish, 1/4 English, 1/4 French-Canadian) spent to much time in the sun.

The short story is I got the worst sun burn of my life and because I was wearing a backpack the area covered by the strapes wasn't burned but everything else was. To this day I have soft white unblemished skin where those strapes were and freckled skin where they weren't. I wish I had worn sunblock.

:lol:

it doesn't help there's a hole in the ozone layer in Australia.

And in Nevada, well... we just get lots of sun.

Greg W
17-07-2005, 08:21:56
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
i also have freckles on my shoulders from a bad burn i got when i was in the fourth grade..
anyone else love the smell of aloe on a sunburn? It does have a rather nice smell. And a better feeling if you're the sunburnt one.

Originally posted by Diss
it doesn't help there's a hole in the ozone layer in Australia. I think that'd be a hole in the Ozone layer over Australia. :cute:

Oerdin
17-07-2005, 12:57:54
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
anyone else love the smell of aloe on a sunburn?

Oh yeah. Though it feels even better; aloe is just the best stuff for a sun burn.

alsieboo
17-07-2005, 15:33:35
I love my freckles

DevilsH@lo
17-07-2005, 15:52:32
I've been burnt once, when i was about 11.

Which was so horrendous i try to avoid the sun at all costs. my back was covered in yellow puss filled blisters (varying from 1 to 2 cm's in diameter) for about 2 weeks and then all my skin fell off, how lovely.

Hence my unhealthy aversion to the sun.

Wish i had photos now, it was completely :vom:

KrazyHorse@home
17-07-2005, 16:07:10
I've been badly burned at least 25-30 times

And almost all of those were from hanging out in the sun in Montreal and other parts of Quebec (where the sun is likely stronger than in Britain, but not even close to what it's like in Australia or California or even Baltimore). I burn so fucking easily it's not funny.

KrazyHorse@home
17-07-2005, 16:11:20
Sunburns (and burns in general) are some of the most unpleasant injuries you can get.

No joking when I tell you that just in terms of pain (not inconvenience) I've had a number of sunburns that were worse than any broken bone I've had. Things like cuts (as long as they're not life threatening) are on the other end, and don't really bother me at all.

alsieboo
17-07-2005, 16:13:53
why is it that threads these days end up making me want to throw up?

JM^3
17-07-2005, 16:25:34
my freind went to a party

at a guys place who had some disease such that he needed a high powered sun lamp thing

my freind and his freinds decided it would be cool to turn it on, and drink next to it

they were all in their bathing suits

they were there for 30-60 minutes

when I saw my freind two days later he was as red as a lopster, and in intense pain... the doctors had given him perkasets (spelling??) to deal with the pain...

this was right when we went to alantic city, he still went, but was in pain (and on meds) the whole time

when the doctor saw him, the response was :you are going to get skin cancer, you know...

the girls were their longer, and were topless... :scared: (I didn't see any of them, these weren't my freinds)

JM

JM^3
17-07-2005, 16:26:48
his skin came off in thick sheets...

paper size...

his skin has a tint to this day..

JM

alsieboo
17-07-2005, 16:47:19
nice

MOBIUS
17-07-2005, 18:51:25
Well I've just driven back from Brecon due south for about an hour in the scorching afternoon sun - my right arm, face and neck feel like they've done a tango with a blowtorch!

And that was with my naturally swarthy complexion and sunblock!:eek:

Though I was a bit tender after my Beacons mission yesterday when I thought I didn't need any protection...:cute:

What part of Gower did you go to Laz? I was out at Rhossili Beach and Worm's Head about a month ago which was brilliant - apart from fucking up my ankle which still isn't right yet...:):(

Oerdin
17-07-2005, 19:13:08
Puss filled blisters? Sheets of skin coming off? Wow, I thought mine was bad but it wasn't even close. No blistering just a really bad and painful burn with a fair amount of skin flaking off in little pieces. I aloed the shit out of it though so that might have helped.

alsieboo
17-07-2005, 19:15:16
aah, there's always someone here who can out-do you:P

JM^3
17-07-2005, 19:23:59
yeah, my freind had puss filled blisters also

I think that you were onyl suppose to use this thing for a couple minutes at a time..

JM

Oerdin
17-07-2005, 19:30:49
Jesus. I guess so.

DevilsH@lo
17-07-2005, 19:37:04
HUGE AND YELLOW AND PUSSY!

Mine were by far the best, they out yellowed and out pussied the lot of you!!!

:nervous:

JM^3
17-07-2005, 19:46:06
I think the number of blisters you had beats my freinds.. maybe color as well?

JM

Oerdin
17-07-2005, 19:55:14
Puss is a sign of infection. Did you not put any ointment on it? I suppose if it was really that bad then it must have been very painful so I can understand why you wouldn't want to put aloe or any antibiotic ointment on it.

Did you go see a doctor? I'd guess that after an infection had set in seeing a doctor would be key.

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-07-2005, 20:54:57
Originally posted by MOBIUS

What part of Gower did you go to Laz? I was out at Rhossili Beach and Worm's Head about a month ago which was brilliant - apart from fucking up my ankle which still isn't right yet...:):(

Oxwich Bay. It's angled away from the Atlantic fetch, so you can forget about surfing. However that makes it a very safe beach for kids.

Spartak
17-07-2005, 21:15:52
Kids love beaches...

mr.G
17-07-2005, 22:19:01
i love bitches

DevilsH@lo
17-07-2005, 22:20:30
Originally posted by Oerdin
Puss is a sign of infection. Did you not put any ointment on it? I suppose if it was really that bad then it must have been very painful so I can understand why you wouldn't want to put aloe or any antibiotic ointment on it.

Did you go see a doctor? I'd guess that after an infection had set in seeing a doctor would be key.

Went to a pharmacist to begin with, but then went to a doctor when i returned from the holiday, it all went back to normal ok, but i've never been a fan of the sun since.

How can i attach an image by the way

Oerdin
17-07-2005, 23:10:11
If it's hosted on the internet then use IMG tags or if it is a small photo then just use the attach file button.

Immortal Wombat
17-07-2005, 23:15:41
Nice one Oerdin. I'm never opening this thread again.

HUGE YELLOW PUSSY!

DevilsH@lo
18-07-2005, 00:34:04
Here you go, mine looked something like this, only there were alot more of them and they were bigger.
But this gives you the general idea.

Koyaanisqatsi
18-07-2005, 00:44:00
.......thanks.

DevilsH@lo
18-07-2005, 00:48:04
No problem :D

Greg W
18-07-2005, 00:59:55
Sunburn is just as bad as getting burnt by fire if you get enough sun. People have been known to get third degree burns from falling asleep in the sun on Sydney beaches. Especially those with ale complexions.

The Norks
18-07-2005, 01:29:32
Originally posted by DevilsH@lo
I've been burnt once, when i was about 11.

you were also burnt when we went to Delos.

Dh wore a red T shirt, insisted he didnt need sunblock (despite Delos reputedly being the sunniest place on earth) and we didnt realise how bad the burn was until we got back to our room and he took off his shirt to reveal he was now the colour of his t shirt, except pure scottish white where the T shirt had been.

I had a red stripe across my back in between my skirt and top that hadnt even been thought of. cue much aftersun.

The Norks
18-07-2005, 01:30:26
also my uncle fell asleep in a hammock in Saudi, and he said he literally shed his skin in the shower- bleuuurgh!

jsorense
18-07-2005, 01:34:55
Originally posted by Greg W
Especially those with ale complexions. :lol: Ain't that the truth.:beer:

Greg W
18-07-2005, 01:44:00
:lol:

DevilsH@lo
18-07-2005, 02:09:51
Ahhh Delos, most spiritual and historical venues of the greek islands, and what did the norks do whilst there???

She :vom: over the temple of apollo. That was a fun day. :D

Originally posted by The Norks
you were also burnt when we went to Delos.

Dh wore a red T shirt, insisted he didnt need sunblock (despite Delos reputedly being the sunniest place on earth) and we didnt realise how bad the burn was until we got back to our room and he took off his shirt to reveal he was now the colour of his t shirt, except pure scottish white where the T shirt had been.

I had a red stripe across my back in between my skirt and top that hadnt even been thought of. cue much aftersun.

The Norks
18-07-2005, 02:46:12
that was ouzo hangover + boat travel

it was actually the trader stalls outside the temple of apollo- call it a tip if you will.

Oerdin
18-07-2005, 03:28:21
Originally posted by Greg W
Especially those with ale complexions.

I don't think I drink enough beer to have an ale complection. Now a beer gut...

devilmunchkin
18-07-2005, 04:03:04
i had blisters like that sans the puss.... the puss sounds really icky :( the raw skin that became exposed then the blisters popped must have caused agony :(

DevilsH@lo
18-07-2005, 08:47:46
I could only wear pure cotton T-shirts for about 3 months. Thinking back on it now, the 3 days in bed thing was probably caused by dehydration, but i was 11 so what did i know, and the people i was with didn't have any kids or a clue as it turns out.

All that from about 5 hours of british sunshine at Skegness. Who would have thought it.

alsieboo
18-07-2005, 09:00:41
skeggy!!

Chris
18-07-2005, 14:41:40
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
I have frazzled myself. A day trip to the Gower, and it was cloudy. I thought "Ooooooh, no need for sunscreen. I'll just go without"

Mistake! Fun day, though. Ha hah

http://www.jrj-socrates.com/Cartoon%20Pics/Fox/Simpsons/Nelson_Muntz_300.gif

MOBIUS
18-07-2005, 17:06:43
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Oxwich Bay. It's angled away from the Atlantic fetch, so you can forget about surfing. However that makes it a very safe beach for kids.

Very nice and sheltered from westerlies too, I stopped at the Hotel there for a drink on a recon mission through the area and have been meaning to return and do the place justice!

I particularly enjoyed the walk along from the hotel to the hidden church on the wooded hillside...:)