PDA

View Full Version : HAHAHA! More proof our beer is better then yours. :p

Oerdin
15-07-2005, 18:20:59
http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/24/pf/goodlife/best_beer/

From CNN. Yes, my home town did well. ;)

Koyaanisqatsi
15-07-2005, 18:24:33
Bah. Web poll. What do nerds know about beer?

protein
15-07-2005, 18:39:50
American voters vastly outnumbered other nationalities

protein
15-07-2005, 18:40:19
the survey wasn't exactly "scientific"

Gary
15-07-2005, 18:43:28
No offence, but Fullers doesn't readily spring to mind when considering best beers. They're ok but any Beer Festival will offer many brews more suitable to what I recall of their range.

I've probably said it before, but you'd be pushed to find a pint better than draft Marsden's Old Peculiar.

Gary
15-07-2005, 18:45:19
Served at room temperature, of course.

Gary
15-07-2005, 18:48:17
Sam Smith's at 42 :)

Again ok but nothing to write home about. I think these only include pints available in the US, right ?

Spartak
15-07-2005, 18:49:31
7 pr the world's top beers American?

I mean come on...

protein
15-07-2005, 18:56:39
I'm British and yet I think the best beers are Belgian. Some proper English bitters are very good though.

I really like Asahi (Japan) and Singha (Thailand) in terms of nice refreshing lager.

I've never had an American beer that isn't just a bland lager. Drinkable on a hot day but not really something I'd go out of my way to find.

I guess that's because we get the mass market crap like Bud, Miller and Coors. I'd love to come over there and get hold of the real American artisanal stuff.

Gary
15-07-2005, 18:58:46
Fair comment. It's hard to judge brands other than your own nationality, since you may not get it at its best, especialy if it doesn't travel well.

Still one good test, if it comes in a can, cross it off your "best beer" list. :)

Lazarus and the Gimp
15-07-2005, 19:09:11
Funnily enough, only last weekend I tried a decent US beer. It was Anchor Steam.

Lazarus and the Gimp
15-07-2005, 19:13:13
My favourite beers.

1- Brains SA
2- Bath Gem
3- Bass
4- 6X
5- Smiles Exhibition
6- Old Peculier
7- Staropramen
8- Waggledance
9- Duvel
10- Budvar

Dyl Ulenspiegel
15-07-2005, 19:39:06
"two-thirds of the brewers judged the best were made in the U.S.A. American voters vastly outnumbered other nationalities, too."

In other news, a survey among a billion flies found that humana should eat more garbage.

Gary
15-07-2005, 19:51:08
Not a bad list.

Not sure I can ever recall enough next day to make one myself :)

But Bass & 6X are good fairly easy to find pints. Smiles make a very good range, exhibition probably being the best.

Never really got into Bath Ales, although the one I had last week (Mad Hare ?) was reasonable.

Quite like some of the good bottled ones from the supermarket. Tanglefoot, Bishop's Finger, etc. It's good to experiemnt but when I buy beer from there I take an age to get around to drinking it at home. Beer should be drunk at the pub.

The Higgelhoff
15-07-2005, 20:04:56
My favourite beer has to be Corona with a Lime, but it has to be on a hot summer's day.

Otherwise I prefer something like Carlsberg Export or Boddingtons.

mr.G
15-07-2005, 20:29:36
yep summertime Corona+lime or Brahma+lime :beer:

Diss
15-07-2005, 22:19:41
Newcastle Brown Ale is my favourite Beer

followed by Samual Adams.

all the rest are crap

Diss
15-07-2005, 22:21:04
This has been bugging me for a while, but I must ask.

Does anyone like Beck's beer? I tried it once, and hit was horrible. I thought germans were supposed to be good at beer. Heinekin sucks as well. That is dutch. It was like the only thing we had to drink in St. Martin :(. (dutch island). That and rum, and I don't like liquor.

Drekkus
15-07-2005, 22:41:32
Pilsner Urquell :D

And Grolsch

Oerdin
17-07-2005, 20:05:14
Originally posted by Gary
No offence, but Fullers doesn't readily spring to mind when considering best beers. They're ok but any Beer Festival will offer many brews more suitable to what I recall of their range.

I've probably said it before, but you'd be pushed to find a pint better than draft Marsden's Old Peculiar.

Yeah, I've had old peculiar and it is very good beer. My favorate beer though is Rochefort 10 from Belgium though Ale Smith's Speedway Stout is a close second.

Beta1
17-07-2005, 20:32:35
youngs, far better than fullers.

Pint of youngs special.

lovely.

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-07-2005, 20:51:41
Originally posted by Diss
This has been bugging me for a while, but I must ask.

Does anyone like Beck's beer? I tried it once, and hit was horrible. I thought germans were supposed to be good at beer.

If I'm out on the town and drinking lagers, I usually drink Becks. It's a good one, though your American palate is probably a bit too jaded to appreciate its hardcore simplicity.

Heineken, on the other hand, is shit.

Oerdin
17-07-2005, 21:06:57
Originally posted by Beta1
youngs, far better than fullers.

Pint of youngs special.

lovely.

I like Young's Outmeal Stout though it's only available in 1.5 pint bottles for to damn much.

Beta1
17-07-2005, 22:02:47
I live about 1.5 miles from the brewery.

Diss
18-07-2005, 08:14:12
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
If I'm out on the town and drinking lagers, I usually drink Becks. It's a good one, though your American palate is probably a bit too jaded to appreciate its hardcore simplicity.

the beer is a little too rough for me. Why taste beer that is rough, when I can drink smooth beer that tastes good?

Mr. Bas
18-07-2005, 11:34:14
<=

Funko
18-07-2005, 11:37:11
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

Hmm.

Now that we get imported Dutch Heineken here (rather than the 3.6% piss water) it's probably my favourite on-tap lager.

Mind you most British brewed lagers are horrible.

Mr. Bas
18-07-2005, 11:37:11
Belgian beers in general are the best ones around. We only do a few decent lagers, although Brand is one of the best lagers I've ever tasted. I'm not really familiar with American beers, the few ones I've had were horsepiss though.

Funko
18-07-2005, 11:38:15
German and Czech lagers are my favourite by miles.

I remember Vinnie and Cath being shocked by how much Becks cost here, it's just a normal beer for them back home.

MDA
18-07-2005, 11:42:55
Yaay, Great Lakes Brewing Co. at 31.

Mr. Bas
18-07-2005, 11:44:33
True, the Germans and Czechs can do a nice lager as well.

Personally I like Heineken, but like Funko said a lot of the exported stuff is different from the standard Heineken we have here.

It's not completely true that we only do good lagers here, BTW. Bock is brilliant beer and there are great ones around here. A lot of the smaller breweries make nice special beers, but it's already hard to get here in the Netherlands, let alone out of the country. But I guess that's true for most countries.

MoSe
18-07-2005, 12:28:55
Originally posted by Gary
Sam Smith's at 42 :)

is that the drinking age?

Oerdin
18-07-2005, 16:38:02
So I decided to go to beverages & more (a local warehouse store specializing in all things liquor related) in order to stock up. I spent way to much but here's a list of the beers I bought:

Celebrator
Old Peculier
Reaper Ale - Ritual Dark Ale (From Vista in North County. drank last night; decent but not exceptional)
Anchor Steam (brewed in San Francisco since the 1860's; a classic California beer)
Samichlaus Bier - never had before. Supposedly the world's strongest beer.
Hopf Weiber bock - I've had Hopf but not this one.
Ayinger Ur-Weise - I've always liked Ayinger
Tusker - From Kenya. Unexception but I like the idea of an African beer.
Sam Smith's Old Tadcaster - Had before, ok.
Rare Vos - Never had before. Belgian style ale from NY.
Skull Splitter - hjad like 4 years ago but I've forgotten what it tastes like.

I also bought a number of wine bottle sized bottles from Alesmith breweries which is our local brewing hero. You may remember them from the internet poll which named them #1 brewery in the world. Anyway I bought Horny Devil (their volume leader), Speedway Stout (best stout I've ever had bar none), IPA (not my thing), Grand Cru (never tried but supposedly very good), Barrel Aged Old Numbskull (also never tried but British beer expert Michael Jackson loved it).

Spanish wines were 50% off so I picked up a few of those as well. Right now I have it all in my spare fridge in the garage and I'm betting it will be sometime before I'm able to work my way through this lot.

Funko
18-07-2005, 16:38:30
Old Peculier made Greg sick - FACT.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
18-07-2005, 17:00:43
"Hopf Weiber bock"

:lol:

MoSe
18-07-2005, 17:30:22
Grand Cru - it's a general denomination of excellence (i.e. coming for specially select "vineyards", I wonder how that does translate correctly in the beer world, malt coming from selected patches?).That is, any brand can have the Grand Cru option.
for instance, talking offhand of belgian ones, you have Hoegarden and Hoegarden Grand Cru, Rodenbach and Rodenbach Grand Cru...

Samichlaus - I thought it was out of production since long, if not even the company out of business... a swiss "meditation" beer brewed for Xmas season (San Nichlaus, Santa Claus...)

Oerdin
18-07-2005, 18:27:12
Originally posted by Dyl Ulenspiegel
"Hopf Weiber bock"

:lol:

I don't have your fucked up Germanic Keyboard so I had to make due. :gasmaske:

Oerdin
18-07-2005, 18:29:29
Originally posted by MoSe
Grand Cru - it's a general denomination of excellence (i.e. coming for specially select "vineyards", I wonder how that does translate correctly in the beer world, malt coming from selected patches?).That is, any brand can have the Grand Cru option.
for instance, talking offhand of belgian ones, you have Hoegarden and Hoegarden Grand Cru, Rodenbach and Rodenbach Grand Cru...

Samichlaus - I thought it was out of production since long, if not even the company out of business... a swiss "meditation" beer brewed for Xmas season (San Nichlaus, Santa Claus...)

In the brewing world Grand Cru simply means the brewer's best. Oten this is the batch that has been specially aged in oak whiskey barrels for a few years.

I'm not sure about the Samichlaus but they were selling it as single bottles only at the store.

MoSe
19-07-2005, 08:57:20
OK with me, but then saying you have bought a bottle of "Grand Cru" says us nothing, which brand's Grand Cru is it?

Funko
19-07-2005, 10:23:34
Fosters Grand Cru...

Oerdin
19-07-2005, 10:40:39
Originally posted by MoSe
OK with me, but then saying you have bought a bottle of "Grand Cru" says us nothing, which brand's Grand Cru is it?

From the post in question:

I also bought a number of wine bottle sized bottles from Alesmith breweries which is our local brewing hero. You may remember them from the internet poll which named them #1 brewery in the world. Anyway I bought Horny Devil (their volume leader), Speedway Stout (best stout I've ever had bar none), IPA (not my thing), Grand Cru (never tried but supposedly very good), Barrel Aged Old Numbskull (also never tried but British beer expert Michael Jackson loved it).

The first sentence named the brewery while the subsequent sentences named the types of beer purchased from said brewery.

Nills Lagerbaak
19-07-2005, 11:15:52
German: Fransiskanner (delicous wheat beer available in light, dark and cloudy)
Holsten Pills - still can't go wrong with the claccis pilsner

Belgian:
Duvel, hoegarden, Stella Artois - all good beers

British:
Old Speckled Hen, Bath Ales - White Hair, Tribute. (With very few exceptions English make shit lager - FACT)

Indian - Kingfisher, Cobra
Japan - Kirin - ichi ban, Samporo (SP?)

Oh and of course Nigerian Guiness!

Funko
19-07-2005, 11:20:23
Talking of Stella. I heard a theory about why English Stella is so evil. Allegedly the water by the brewery has high (but within allowable limits) mercury levels which might be what makes people go loopy drinking it.

Evil, evil stuff.

Nills Lagerbaak
19-07-2005, 11:23:01
Jesus christ. Doesn't matter if it's allowable, it's bloody accumative surely.....it could explain a lot. I don't drink it any more.

Funko
19-07-2005, 11:27:32
I stopped years ago.

I have found no supporting evidence for that though - not that I've looked very hard.

Vincent
19-07-2005, 11:28:46
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak

Holsten Pills -[/B]You sure mean Holsten & Pills

Drekkus
19-07-2005, 11:30:35
Holstein Piss.