PDA

View Full Version : CD RW help!!

Nills Lagerbaak
15-07-2005, 17:33:19
Hi y'all, (feel I must be formal in the techie forum)

My CDRW suddenly stopped being recognised by my PC (it didn't appear on explorer and wouldn't play audio)

So I sent it back to the manufacturers and they sent me a new one. Same thing happens (i.e. nothing)

It gets passed the dos stage, and the Bio recognises it and I can open and close the tray (which I guess just means the power is on), but as soon as I put a CD in it whirs for a little bit then just stops.

It can'[t be the CDRW twice in a row can it?!?

How can I re-=install the driver if the CD won't play???

Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debaser
15-07-2005, 17:46:38
Have tried updating your drivers?

(I don't really know what this means, but I didn't say it someone else would...)

Gary
15-07-2005, 18:04:57
I suppose it could be, but it's unlikely.

Have you tried replacing the PC ?

Gary
15-07-2005, 18:06:09
Oh and if you can resist the 100-0, you get the latest drivers off the Net. :rolleyes:

Spartak
15-07-2005, 18:15:13
alternatively have you tried the drive in afriends PC to see whether it works there?

Gary
15-07-2005, 18:56:10
:lol: I think that's what I said ;)

Cruddy
15-07-2005, 21:28:30
Could be a connection problem - the data cable might have come loose from the motherboard, or the power cord might not be in right.

Could also be a Windows problem with it not being recognised - did you try a system restore to when it did work?

No longer Trippin
17-07-2005, 21:44:21
Could be the IDE cable in general or how it is connected. Or the firmware which I noticed hasn't been mentioned.

Is it on it's own controller or not (cable)? What do you have the jumper set to?

If you know it's already pluggeed in right, then I'd take it to a friends and use one of their cables and system. If it works, then I'd replace the cable. If it still doesn't work after new firmware (different than drivers) and after replacing the cable on your computer then I'd return it and grab a different brand. If you want to test your cable, just bring it with you and use it to test your drive there again if yours works on his cable. If your still having the same problem and it isn't the cable, then your up shit creek and will either have to be content on going without one, buying a new one, or spending a long time (or paying someone to) find the problem.

Nills Lagerbaak
19-07-2005, 14:07:36
Aha, many thanks.

Problem with getting drivers off net is that I have no internet connection at home. I have tried to get the latest driver on a floppy, but I only seem to be able to find updates and not the actual driver I require....

I have the CD RW on a seperate data cable and the jumper is set to slave. I could try another lead I suppose....

I could also do a system restore, but what exactly will that do to my computer, and how do you do it?

Cheers guys

DevilsH@lo
19-07-2005, 19:33:58
Is it set to slave but sitting on the end connector? And is it an 80 core as opposed to a 40 core cable?

If its set to slave and its sitting on the middle of an 80 way connector it may not be detected (Master needs to be final connector, slave the middle), another thing which windows occasionally has problems with is detecting cdrw driver with DMA enabled, try disabling it in bios and set to PIO4 and disable the DMA auto select feature in windows.

Nills Lagerbaak
20-07-2005, 08:19:42
Very helpful, I will try that. I don't think it's anything to do with the position on the cable (as it's the same connection that the old one was on). I'm guessing the bios might have something to do with it.

Cruddy
20-07-2005, 11:59:45
System Restore puts the system back to a known working date - the way I get to it is is usually Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools.

If there are no restore points then you can't do one = but have a play and see what you've got.

If you've changed your hardware since a restore was created, Windows will find new hardware after a system restore. The drivers should still be OK on your hard drive though, so after a restart or 2 the system gets back to normal. Remember, at least one restart per piece of hardware.

You'll also lose shortcuts after a restore - it's usually a small price to pay.

Nills Lagerbaak
27-07-2005, 10:15:41
Thanks guys!

The problem was highly technical, it would appear that the CDRW cable had become detactched from the motherboard.

Now please explain how this could happen with the case still on having never been opened?!?!

Anyway, got a free new CDRW out of it, thanks for all the help!

Gary
27-07-2005, 12:10:58
Glad it's solved.

Shows how much I know, if the Bio recognised it I'd have figured that the cable must be in ok. Still with hindsight it is one thing to check.

Venom
27-07-2005, 15:33:13
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
Thanks guys!

The problem was highly technical, it would appear that the CDRW cable had become detactched from the motherboard.

Now please explain how this could happen with the case still on having never been opened?!?!

Anyway, got a free new CDRW out of it, thanks for all the help!

All kinds of stuff spinning and vibrating in there. It's unlikely, but not impossible that a poorly connected or constructed cable could be shaken loose.

Nills Lagerbaak
27-07-2005, 16:43:56
True. It has been transported a few times too....

Venom
27-07-2005, 17:52:20
Not that I'm calling your computer poorly constructed. But you know how somethings just break.