PDA

View Full Version : I am not sure what to do...

JM^3
14-07-2005, 19:20:40
I have done about 3 years of grad school, but the only thing I have to show right now is classes (which are about meaningless, as far as getting a PHD is concerned)

2nd year I was wanting to do particle physics (was one thing I was interested in from undergradaute (the three things I though I was interested in were nuclear/particles/chaos))

second part of the year, I discovered that the theorists were so far from experiment so much as to be rediculous (for some of the predictions would take a collider, as we know how to make now, bigger then the universe in order to investigate)(I mean the experimental verification they are hoping to get is for the standard model, which is over 30 years old)

it is also true that there isn't much money for particle physics

then I decided since I liked field theory I would check out many-bodied physics (like condensed matter)

I got into that some last year, but never really got going with anyone, and currently don't have anyone willing/able to pay me (there is still an outside chance..)

so now I am looking for a group, and I really need one that I can graduate with, and that can pay me

but I don't like Chaos, I don't want to do nuclear (is basically a dying area, most current nuclear people either do really fast nuclear stuff (basically particles) or really low energy stuff (basically atomic), and while I am interested in the physics, condensed matter and high energy experiment appears boring to me

I don't really know anything about plasma, but I think it would be too late to start doing that... same with biophysics and space..

so I feel really lost, and a bit disappointed

JM

MDA
14-07-2005, 19:24:39
Sounds like you'd be perfect for Uncertainty.

sorry, though :(

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
14-07-2005, 19:33:15
Have you considered a career in the fast food service industry?

JM^3
14-07-2005, 19:38:06
I did work as a dishwasher at a restuarant

unfortunately I was incredibly awful at that, and probably would have been fired if they did not know that I was going to be quiting in a couple of weeks (and the night manager sort of liked me and helped covering for me long after the usual grace period was over)(worked there for two months)

I also worked in a canary, and there I should have been fired (don't know why they made a colorblind person look at green cucumbers for the red spots..) but I think that there was no one paying enough attention to discover how much I sucked

also for both those jobs I could basically do them, then collapse in front of the TV for a couple of hours and go to bed

unless I had a child to upkeep, I would sooner become a bum then live life like that

JM

JM

Oerdin
14-07-2005, 19:50:27
Everyone goes through these periods of self doubt and discouragement. I went through after I came back from Iraq and didn't really know where I wanted to go; I'd finished college, I'd finished the military, I didn't like my old career, yet didn't know what or where to go from there. Unfortunately, I went back to what I had the most experience with and what I could get the most money for but I still don't like it and am planning on changing careeers.

It could be worse though. A friend of mine was working towards his PHD in EE at UCLA and was a little over halfway through when his advisor decided to up and move to another university out of the blue. Basicaly this guy is going to have to restart his PHD with a new advisor (losing years of work) or just forget about getting a PHD.

I suggest taking a hard look at what you realy like, what you really dislike, and what you can live with. Then check out the financial impact of each choice and make then make a decision. It might not be your ideal but at least you'd be making an informed decision about the best option available.

JM^3
14-07-2005, 19:56:46
I dislike things that are boring

repetitive tasks, tasks that don't require me to think

I like things that require me to think, to be creative, and things that are important/matter

Jon Miller

Oerdin
14-07-2005, 19:59:02
Maybe you could write physics books explaining physics concepts to the common man.

Immortal Wombat
14-07-2005, 20:01:49
Originally posted by JM^3
I also worked in a canary, ...
Best. Spelling mistake. Ever.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
14-07-2005, 20:05:22
:lol:

JM^3
14-07-2005, 20:22:56
Originally posted by Oerdin
Maybe you could write physics books explaining physics concepts to the common man.

hmmm

honestly, though, writing is generally not considered to be one of my strong points

JKM

Venom
14-07-2005, 20:29:47
I think you should start sucking cocks for a living.

Provost Harrison
14-07-2005, 23:02:50
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Best. Spelling mistake. Ever.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Beta1
14-07-2005, 23:05:05
Originally posted by JM^3
I dislike things that are boring

repetitive tasks, tasks that don't require me to think

I like things that require me to think, to be creative, and things that are important/matter

Jon Miller

sounds like you should look into teaching.

Oerdin
14-07-2005, 23:34:57
I hadn't thought about that but teaching would fill all of your requirements. If you could finish your PHD and maybe work on a teaching credential then you might be able to get a job at a JC and make twice as much as a school teacher.

The Norks
14-07-2005, 23:47:00
hmmm I know nothing about physics or how it all works, but maybe you could go and promote yourself to some groups you like?

Or would changing Universities help?

Its important to do something you like, otherwise its soul destroying.

Good luck :)

jsorense
14-07-2005, 23:49:24
Originally posted by The Norks

Its important to do something you like, otherwise its soul destroying.

Good luck :) That is true to the nth power in grad school. FACT!

Asher
14-07-2005, 23:56:34
Teach high school grammar.

Oerdin
15-07-2005, 00:07:26
On the upside if you followed Asher's advice then you wouldn't need to finish your PHD and instead could just settle for a Master's. If you really disliked the programs offered to PHD candidates then that might be an option.

JM^3
15-07-2005, 00:24:27
I have my master's basically

but I have been a lousy teacher, although that is what most of my expereince is in (I have mostly been a teaching assistant)

one thing is that I don't particularly care for teaching to people who don't care to learn

it might be an attitude problem on my part

if I got a PHD and wanted to teach, then I would look to work in a Liberal Arts college like where I went to school, I really like the atmosphere there (far better teaching their then anywhere else that I have seen)

Jon Miller

JM^3
15-07-2005, 00:25:18
btw talked to someone about Quantum Computing

that is a real interesting field, although I am still unsure about it being experimental..

JM

Provost Harrison
15-07-2005, 00:25:51
Don't worry, it's still experimental...

JM^3
15-07-2005, 00:28:12
I am unsure about wanting to do experimental

JM

Provost Harrison
15-07-2005, 00:29:10
;) :p

Oerdin
15-07-2005, 00:49:53
If you like the idea of teaching at a liberal arts school then maybe you ought to make that your goal. You could suffer through a few years of a subject you hate in order to get your PHD then try to get a teaching position. Since liberal arts schools don't offer advanced science degrees you'd likely end up teaching freshmen courses or something.

JM^3
15-07-2005, 01:37:54
it is what I would like teaching best, I think

I still don't tihnk I want tod o that

I have showed no capacity to be a teacher..

JM

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
15-07-2005, 03:44:17
Write software. Kpm Nukker's Typing Tutor has a catchy title.

Provost Harrison
15-07-2005, 10:31:28
:D

Spartak
15-07-2005, 12:17:52
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
Write software. Kpm Nukker's Typing Tutor has a catchy title. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: