PDA

View Full Version : I found this interesting.

walruskkkch
05-04-2002, 19:53:15
Cash Offered for Dead Westerners
Fri Apr 5, 1:25 PM ET
By MICHELLE BOORSTEIN, Associated Press Writer

BAGRAM, Afghanistan - Al-Qaida and Taliban forces are distributing pamphlets that offer rewards for dead or captured Westerners and threaten Afghans who support the U.S.-led coalition, U.S. Army officials said Friday.

Photos

AP Photo

Maj. Iris Hurd said leaflets have been found in the last few weeks that offer $50,000 for a Westerner delivered dead and $100,000 for one who is alive.

The pamphlets are known as "shabnama," or "night letters," because they are distributed clandestinely, often at night. Hurd said they are sometimes slipped under people's doors.

The leaflets say that "if you support the coalition or the AIA, we will threaten your family with violence," she said. The AIA is the interim administration of Prime Minister Hamid Karzai, which took over after the coalition toppled the conservative Islamic Taliban militia late last year.

She did not show any of the pamphlets, but said allied forces had some in hand. She would not elaborate on who may have written them, or how they instructed Afghans to cash in on the rewards.

Another set of pamphlets calling for armed struggle against the U.S.-led allies began circulating early last month among Afghan refugees in Pakistan, as well as here in Afghanistan (news - web sites).

Those pamphlets denounced Karzai's interim government as "traitors to Islam" and warned Afghans and others who fight alongside the Americans that they will someday "suffer the consequences."

The pamphlets sometimes include unsupported allegations that the Americans used chemical and biological weapons to kill thousands of people in last year's bombing campaign against the Taliban and the al-Qaida terrorist network it was sheltering.

Others include stories of personal sacrifice and so-called "miracles" in the battle against the U.S.-led coalition all apparently designed to inspire young Afghan males to take up the fight and to drive home the message that God is on the Taliban side.

Hurd works for the U.S. Army division called Information Operations, which distributes pro-U.S. information. A colleague from the same division said the pamphlets prove that al-Qaida and Taliban forces are desperate to counter the positive humanitarian work the allies are doing.

"The main reason they're doing that is because of our actions because of the good works we are doing. They know it is working," said Sgt. 1st Class Danny Eller.

The Information Operations division also disseminates pamphlets, but Eller said there was a major difference: "They can put out anything they want, any time they want, and no one will hold them accountable. We've got the reins on us to keep us on the straight and narrow. If I put out something false, I could go to jail."

The Banana strikes again!

Chris
05-04-2002, 19:56:18
I have a few corpses I can send them for quick cash.

Sean
05-04-2002, 19:58:02
Bah. I hate all the poorly-researched stories going around. Didn’t show them the pamphlet? Is this journalist going to dig or are they going to be a mouthpiece for the Army? Especially when they are distibuting pamphlets like an Omnian in Ankh.

Having said that, at least we can have journalists that question the Government.

Venom
05-04-2002, 19:58:12
Yeah, we should start selling them our own dead people that we don't need anymore.

Sean
05-04-2002, 19:59:51
Glad you agree with me.

Sean
05-04-2002, 20:00:40
Oops, wrong account :o.

Chris
05-04-2002, 20:08:15
Selling them the dead could make the war pay for itself.

Lurker
05-04-2002, 20:12:35
Once they're dead, its hard to tell whether they're a westerner or not. Maybe we can sell them their own dead.

MDA
05-04-2002, 20:45:57
Anyone with decent dental care can pass as a dead Westerner. Even WITH bad teeth, you can't rule out West Virginia and Kentucky.

Venom
05-04-2002, 20:57:53
Plus we've got some a culturally mixed country that, as long as they dead still don't speak you'd never know where they came from.

walruskkkch
05-04-2002, 21:06:18
I hear they got extra bodies just laying around in Georgia.

Lurker
05-04-2002, 21:20:45
Originally posted by Venom
Plus we've got some a culturally mixed country that, as long as they dead still don't speak you'd never know where they came from.

Been hitting the bottle a little early today?:clueless:

MDA
05-04-2002, 22:02:30
Lucky bastard, I'm off to watch women's indoor soccer and drink beer. Soon. It's win-win unless you require a skillfully played game.

Sean
05-04-2002, 22:04:31
So that is American women playing indoor football? Could this be any worse?

Lurker
05-04-2002, 22:06:54
There's always the crippled women midgets' indoor soccer league.

Snapcase
06-04-2002, 09:45:26
So is this how you finance your extravagant lifestyle, venom?

Funkodrom
06-04-2002, 13:07:28
Originally posted by Sean
So that is American women playing indoor football? Could this be any worse?

I don't think the idea is to watch the football is it?

Sean
06-04-2002, 13:16:19
Would anyone go if it was?

MDA
06-04-2002, 16:26:30
Originally posted by MikeH

I don't think the idea is to watch the football is it?

Own Goal. :)