PDA

View Full Version : I have decided what it takes for me to enjoy MMOs..

JM^3
11-07-2005, 23:09:47
Playing with people I know.

I played WoW a ton for two weeks, but I just fired it up and turned it off after a bit.

And I think it is because my freind who plays is gone for a few days, and the people who I have met who I enjoy playing with are all not on right now.

I have had more fun in galaxies playing with Lurker and Venom, then I did all the time before (Because the freind that I started out playing with outleveled me almost instantly and never played with me again (except for one hunting group)).

And even though Guild Wars is probably the best of them, when I quit playing with this person who I had been playing with for a week, I quit playing much (met him at level 6).

I also quit EQ2, because the person I had been playing with seemed to never be online.

I think I am not a usual MMO player.

Jon Miller

MDA
12-07-2005, 00:46:11
Its hard to find good groups - finding a decent guild, even if there are only a handful of people you have fun with, can make a huge difference.

JM^3
12-07-2005, 01:09:13
that is possibly what makes FFXI the worst MMO

in that until you are at mid levels, you can't make a freinds list

Jon Miller

HelloKitty
12-07-2005, 01:26:25
ACtually you aren't unusual at all Jon. Making friends with an online group is the way to get intot he game. Its ahrd to get started ina game where you know no one.

I remember starting in EQ1. That game had no documentation was a year old with one expansion out and was hard as hell to get going in.

I met some people, always grouped instead of soloing, got to know some people, joined a low level guild, made some friends, movesd into the gay guild with my alts and a radi guild with my main and know tons of people.

I have the advantage of being able to play any of the MMOs and know people in any of them.

A big problem with the games that are too solo friendly is that it is harder to establish a community and meet people.

lightblue
12-07-2005, 10:41:53
A lot of guilds will be established guilds from other games. I guess it's quite hard as a "newb" to get into some of these.

Venom
12-07-2005, 13:00:57
If I wasn't playing with people I knew, I'd probably have quit playing Galaxies already.

Lurker the Second
12-07-2005, 13:55:38
My attitude is pretty much the same. I wouldn't have quit yet without the grouping, but the game is much more fun when the players from here group. Actually, my grouping experiences with others have mostly been completely futile. I agreed to group with one player and then he challenged me to a duel instead of going on a mission. The next grouping was ok, but they quit after one mission. Then the last time I agreed the guy disbanded the group before we even got to chat. Maybe he saw my stats. :D

We'll get a guild going before long.

JM^3
12-07-2005, 13:59:18
yeah, my pick up experience (other then in high level hunting groups) has been the most abysmal in SWG compared to any other game...

and the high level hunting groups just gets close to normal...

JM

Lurker the Second
12-07-2005, 14:01:45
You need to get the expansion so we can run quests (assuming quests are group things).

Venom
12-07-2005, 14:06:23
I've never had success with any low level group except with you guys. And I've only been in 3 high level groups, which are still the best way for a soldier like me to earn money. Still, the xp is just as good with us and I get to make fun of Lurker.

JM^3
12-07-2005, 14:07:44
quests are likely to be better in groups

quests are like missions, but have a story about them

and generally can only be done once...

missions are generic, the only other games with missions are AO and CoH (that I have tried)

but CoH might also had missions which were linked into quests..

Jon Miller

Venom
12-07-2005, 14:17:48
I wanna go to the Tusken Raider fort but they're too high level.

King_Ghidra
12-07-2005, 14:35:16
i'm with JM in the main.

strangely, through the various mmorpg's i have played, i have mainly soloed (except in ffxi where it was impossible) because what ffxi taught me was that grouping is often a horrible waste of time and a good way to meet idiots

but on the flip side, i love the incidental social contact you get in mmorpg's (the random people you bump into while adventuring and the random comments you hear shouted out) and above all the family aspect of guild membership.

It was the lack of the guild aspect that turned me off UO, whereas conversely i loved my ffxi guild, and despite the many difficulties i had with that game it kept me plugging away when i would otherwise have given up.

In WoW i once again have a great guild and it's a big factor in my continuued enjoyment of the game.

Lurker the Second
12-07-2005, 15:19:08
Originally posted by Venom
Still, the xp is just as good with us and I get to make fun of Lurker.

Oh, it won't be long before I can make useful stuff, then you'll change your tune. :D

Venom
12-07-2005, 15:25:46
Until that day.....YOU'RE A GOD DAMN ALBATROSS AROUND OUR NECKS!

Lurker the Second
12-07-2005, 15:54:02
I hope I'm a dead and incredibly smelly albatross.

Venom
12-07-2005, 15:55:30
You got dead last night, albatraoss man

Lurker the Second
12-07-2005, 16:00:18
After watching you Sunday night, I thought that is what you're supposed to do. My mistake.

Venom
12-07-2005, 16:04:43
Yes my death was a terrible incovience....caused by someone not know what the hell they were doing.

Oh and you'd better hurry and get to cl11 because my carbine has already decayed to 785/885.

Lurker the Second
12-07-2005, 16:28:02
As HK noted, weapons can be repaired by a craftsman (like me) with a repair kit (which I don't have yet).

Venom
12-07-2005, 16:32:07
God, you're worthless.

lightblue
12-07-2005, 18:16:12
Once your guild start getting more and more active on Ventrillo it becomes a lot closer very very fast. Also seems slightly less antisocial if you're chatting with people instead of typing :)

JM^3
12-07-2005, 18:18:39
I am actually to the point that I type pretty fast

and from the forum experience, I am use to the ideaof being social by typing

JM

Venom
12-07-2005, 18:58:42
Yeah. I actually don't much like chatting with people online. Then again, I do have Asperber's syndrome.

Lurker the Second
12-07-2005, 19:01:40
Is Ventrillo part of the game package or a separate program? I liked using Teamspeak in BF 1942. Chatting would be so much more efficient, plus I can't drive for shit while trying to type.

Venom
12-07-2005, 19:26:19
Fuck, I'd have to hear your voice too?

Lurker the Second
12-07-2005, 19:42:07
Yeah, and I probably cuss as much verbally as I do in print.

Venom
12-07-2005, 19:44:45
Agreed. I'd probably cuss more since it wouldn't be blocked. Though I don't know if I could cuss more and still form a coherent sentence.

First phrase: "Filter this, mother fucking bitches!"

Oerdin
12-07-2005, 21:04:43
I never got into these online RPGs which is weird since I like the single player RPGs. I guess I never really gave them a chance.

lightblue
12-07-2005, 21:13:32
Nah ventrillo is separate, similar to teamspeak, but bigger servers (I think, not a real expert). For bigger raids in WoW (40 man) you really need em.

Lurker the Second
12-07-2005, 21:21:18
Originally posted by Oerdin
I never got into these online RPGs which is weird since I like the single player RPGs. I guess I never really gave them a chance.

Go get this one, then, ASAP, and join us on Bria before we get all experienced and snobby.

HelloKitty
12-07-2005, 22:02:32
I have been in a few guilds that have tried Ventrillo and team speak. HTey are too damn annoying imo.

All the top guilds tend to have just a teamspeak or vent server for their officers/raidleaders if at all.

Oh and Venom, turn off the profanity filter in game.

As for the SWG RoTW quests, many can be soloed by high level players, some are just too slow to solo alone though and some require 8 players. Gen Grevious requires 8 awesome players with strats and maybe a jedi or two.

Lurker the Second
12-07-2005, 22:11:24
At our level (excluding HK) and considering how we play as a group, I think teamspeak would just be better for the instructional/social back and forth, rather than strats. There really isn't a great deal of strategy in the missions we've been running, although perhaps there should be.

Bah, who am I kidding. The only reason there's no strategy is b/c I don't know what to do and keep getting in the way.

Venom
12-07-2005, 22:19:17
We may need a bullet shield at times.

Venom
12-07-2005, 22:19:55
Oh and I can't believe I didn't comment on this earlier but I make everything fun so of course playing Galaxies with me is fun.

JM^3
12-07-2005, 22:27:37
currently we have lurker and venom shoot at things

I wait until they get close and beat at them, or sometimes close to encounter them

I try and keep everyone healed, and try to make sure that lurker is not attacked (and recently, venom also)

venom also does some self heals

I also daze them and knock them down, and venom knocks them down at times also

I think that you guys do the most damage from mid ranges, but that could be pre CU (sinc eyou use carbines)

noticeably bad strategy is when I am on one, and you two are on the other one (then we kill them both at the same time, but are getting beat on by two for the full time, instead of 2 for half the time, and 1 for half the time)

also noticable bad strategy is when there is one by itself, nearby us, and lurker ignores it to shoot at one in the middle of a group

Jon Miller
(I know you only did it once on the last bit, Lurker)

Venom
12-07-2005, 22:32:38
When we group the designated puller (usually me) should be the one to decide what we target. Of course sometimes the battle turns into a clusterfuck so we're surrounded (thanks to Lurker blasting the nest and causing repeated spawnings) and we're all shooting else where. We definitely should concentrate all our fire on 1 in those situations. So let's just say, in a clusterfuck situation (thanks again Lurker) whatever the group leader is attacking, we all attack.

Lurker the Second
12-07-2005, 22:39:18
I did screw up the first time by shooting at one in the middle of a group, but I didn't know it made it more likely they would all attack. I'm down with that part now. The only reason I sometimes start shooting at something first is b/c no one else is shooting at anything and usually it's the obvious next target. When we're shooting two targets at close range, that sometimes happens b/c you can't always tell which one to aim at and you end up hitting the wrong one.

Lurker the Second
12-07-2005, 22:39:58
Plus let's get this straight -- I suck at following directions.

JM^3
12-07-2005, 22:52:00
yeah, I was just giving you shit lurker

I have made similiar mistakes... and I am a veteran

JM

HelloKitty
12-07-2005, 23:03:16
If youw ant a designated targetter, lets say venom, just target venom and press your specials. Whatever he is attacking you will attack as long as you have him targetted.

You will also learn how to pull singles or small groups from social lairs, just takes time.

You should dread the day Venom gets commando weps though. :)

JM^3
12-07-2005, 23:07:10
what do you think of my idea to take smuggler (0400 or 0040) instead of commando 4000??

JM

HelloKitty
12-07-2005, 23:08:26
It would be much more usefull.

Take the line with the Root though. The slicing line is limited in its use without master.

JM^3
12-07-2005, 23:16:05
that is the feign death line, right?

JM

HelloKitty
13-07-2005, 01:36:02
Not sure, I don't have a list in front of me.

Venom
13-07-2005, 02:16:33
Many will die when I get commando weapons. Friends included.

And the reason I was pausing was to regen action points because I was tired.

Lurker the Second
13-07-2005, 13:45:54
Lazy fuck.