PDA

View Full Version : Scary work stuff...


BigGameHunter
09-07-2005, 19:15:52
Just finished another 70 hrs+ week. My work center got hammered with two double trailers in one week, which is the first step of a major freight snowball. My receiving area is jam packed and there is no end in sight.
I've got a new boss (@3 wks in) who put the clamps down on payroll to make a committment to his boss. We generally overspent our daily payroll by @25 hours and the extra time is what is killing us. Not having it, that is.
He has out a very big broom and has already taken out one of our hourly Team Leads. Yesterday, he called me into his office and told me that my overnight peer is next. As soon as you get a write up now you are pretty much doomed. My peer gets his this week and will know the score.
He told me that his boss and he are both huge fans of me and that I am "going to be a major player" in the company...but I'm so paranoid right now I'm in "sure...just don't want me to tank it until you fire me" mode.
A Logistics manager is typically given a year to become adept at their process and I've been in position since November.
I have now gone golfing with the boss twice and am dancing the razor's edge between suck up and concubine...
Yeesh...the next 6 months (retail is already ramping up for all the holidays at this point) are going to be quite hellish.
Sympathy, advice, ha ha's welcome.
http://sisyphus.nada.kth.se/images/sisyphus-front.jpg

JM^3
09-07-2005, 19:21:26
yeah

dont' know how to handle that stuff

I woulr probably disappear for a week

then come back fired..
.
JM

Chris
09-07-2005, 19:25:28
I can't be bothered to read all of that.

BTW Pat, the football sign up thread is posted, go add your name for a team this year.

paiktis22
09-07-2005, 19:36:46
I didnt understand everything but about the boss suck up, I don't know. I know it is techincally beneficial to have good relations with the boss even if they're fake on your part. That's one thing I never got the hang of though. I fevershly dislike my bosses and I can't help but showing this to them (by not pretending to be convusling with laughing at every wankery (read joke)they say like most of the others do for example). Hasn't really helped me but I don't think it would have made any difference if I had tried the sucking up method. OTOH a new boss in my dep came in which I really like and we're in good terms and I was surprised to see how EASIER all things are when you're in good terms with your boss.

BigGameHunter
09-07-2005, 20:02:54
It's do or die time for me and my career. I've been downsized, quit/fired from pretty much every job I've had and just can't keep doing it. I've tried to put aside my intense problem with authority and seem to be cashing in on the dividends.
If it was just me, that would be one thing...but I've got my family to consider and I will ingratiate, debase, whatever to benefit them.
It has added a layer of grit to my persona that I didn't think I'd ever have. I have been so strident with my team that one up and quit because I hurt his feelings (rolleyes)!
That is pretty much not my style at all...but hey, it's them or me and people are really fucking lazy!

Drekkus
09-07-2005, 21:12:48
Sympathy haha.

fp
09-07-2005, 22:00:23
Originally posted by BigGameHunter

I've got my family to consider and I will ingratiate, debase, whatever to benefit them.


:brwncard:

Cruddy
09-07-2005, 22:08:38
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
...It has added a layer of grit to my persona that I didn't think I'd ever have. I have been so strident with my team that one up and quit because I hurt his feelings (rolleyes)!
That is pretty much not my style at all...but hey, it's them or me and people are really fucking lazy!

Well, if it's them or your family, who wouldn't go heavy on them?

Just try and keep up with the flow... and arranging some morale boosting and team building.

:vomit: I meant get drunk with your team at every opportunity. Sheesh, I'm getting my workhead back on.

Suggest you play less golf with the boss - cite workload and pressing duties. It's a good thing you've got close in a short space of time... now don't get too close or you'll end up in bed with 'em.

Provost Harrison
09-07-2005, 22:43:25
Sounds like a truly awful environment to work in...

BigGameHunter
10-07-2005, 00:07:42
I've seen worse.

Oerdin
10-07-2005, 00:31:26
I'm not sure I followed you but was the problem that over time is making your boss look bad so he's clamping down on it? If he isn't paying over time which was worked then that is breaking the law unless you are a salaried employee.

BigGameHunter
10-07-2005, 02:46:49
No...that's not it. In retail they watch payroll on a daily basis and cut when sales are soft. Our process can't seem to get done in the prescribed amount of hours, so by keeping us right on the mark, a snowball effect occureed and my area got jacked up.
I'm salaried, so they own my ass.

The Norks
10-07-2005, 18:55:21
Patrick

you big goon

why are you not writing your big American Novel?

Oerdin
10-07-2005, 19:07:19
"Why Corporate America sucks" by BGH. ;)

The Norks
10-07-2005, 19:13:05
it sounds like indentured slavery to me.

He should be travelling round America catching fish and writing about storms

BigGameHunter
10-07-2005, 19:35:47
Yes, me, my wife and two toddlers, living on a raft and the kindness of strangers in modern America.
Eeeeh. I don't think so!
But I vow to write something sellable by the end of the summer.

Provost Harrison
10-07-2005, 19:36:34
Have you ever considered beheading your boss and kicking his bleeding, dead head out of the window?

Chris
10-07-2005, 19:36:47
That pice you worked on a few years ago wasn't bad Pat, you should have followed up on it.

RC's AE
10-07-2005, 19:38:14
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Have you ever considered beheading your boss and kicking his bleeding, dead head out of the window?

Seconded.

The Norks
10-07-2005, 19:40:06
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Yes, me, my wife and two toddlers, living on a raft and the kindness of strangers in modern America.
Eeeeh. I don't think so!
But I vow to write something sellable by the end of the summer.

all the best male american writers leave their wives, fuck underage prostitutes and spawn at least on illegitimate child

get with the program!

BigGameHunter
10-07-2005, 19:41:10
I don't know what you're referring to Chris.
I happen to know that the guy who wrote fight club was supposed to be writing technical manuals for Freightliner the whole time.
I think my "rounds" are going to include a clip board from now on.

Chris
10-07-2005, 19:44:38
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
I don't know what you're referring to Chris.
I happen to know that the guy who wrote fight club was supposed to be writing technical manuals for Freightliner the whole time.
I think my "rounds" are going to include a clip board from now on. Well, it was years ago, you were writing about what it was like when you worked for that power authority, had to be four years ago or more.

BigGameHunter
10-07-2005, 19:46:24
Oh, right.
That was already published and paid for my "Oregon Business Magazine". Just a little 1st person deal but hey...@$400 if I recall.

Chris
10-07-2005, 19:49:47
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Oh, right.
That was already published and paid for my "Oregon Business Magazine". Just a little 1st person deal but hey...@$400 if I recall. You should have followed up, there is potential there you know for you.

BigGameHunter
10-07-2005, 19:50:58
Yeah...I think I have a lot of stuff to put together and submit to parenting/women's/men's magazines now. It really can't be that hard.

RC's AE
10-07-2005, 19:51:29
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
I don't know what you're referring to Chris.
I happen to know that the guy who wrote fight club was supposed to be writing technical manuals for Freightliner the whole time.
I think my "rounds" are going to include a clip board from now on.

That sounds really cool. Hats off for that fellow because he likely made a bundle.

Chris
10-07-2005, 19:53:10
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Yeah...I think I have a lot of stuff to put together and submit to parenting/women's/men's magazines now. It really can't be that hard. I can help you with that, but we can talk about it elsewhere.

BigGameHunter
10-07-2005, 19:54:39
Will do...send me a PM if you want to tell me the basics...I'm going to sneak off to a movie (Batman) and then another 14 hour shift. Yay!

Chris
10-07-2005, 19:56:47
Sure.

We will see Batman this week, looking forward to it.

Chris
10-07-2005, 20:00:10
Your PM box is filled Pat, clean out all those nude pics of Nav so I can send the info.

BigGameHunter
12-07-2005, 00:52:51
I kept falling asleep in Batman...middle of the morning and these girls come and sit right next to me in an empty theater....god...I hope I didn't snore or anything.
OK...I'll print out the Nav pics...wife be damned!

Beta1
12-07-2005, 08:38:22
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Just finished another 70 hrs+ week. My work center got hammered with two double trailers in one week, which is the first step of a major freight snowball. My receiving area is jam packed and there is no end in sight.
I've got a new boss (@3 wks in) who put the clamps down on payroll to make a committment to his boss. We generally overspent our daily payroll by @25 hours and the extra time is what is killing us. Not having it, that is.
He has out a very big broom and has already taken out one of our hourly Team Leads. Yesterday, he called me into his office and told me that my overnight peer is next. As soon as you get a write up now you are pretty much doomed. My peer gets his this week and will know the score.
He told me that his boss and he are both huge fans of me and that I am "going to be a major player" in the company...but I'm so paranoid right now I'm in "sure...just don't want me to tank it until you fire me" mode.
A Logistics manager is typically given a year to become adept at their process and I've been in position since November.
I have now gone golfing with the boss twice and am dancing the razor's edge between suck up and concubine...
Yeesh...the next 6 months (retail is already ramping up for all the holidays at this point) are going to be quite hellish.
Sympathy, advice, ha ha's welcome.
http://sisyphus.nada.kth.se/images/sisyphus-front.jpg

sounds like you hanging in there

GO PAT!

BigGameHunter
13-07-2005, 05:57:53
Thanks...it's going to be a hell year though. Just got a call from my dad (he never calls...let's my mom do it) to tell me his cancer is back and he's got a fungal infection in his ONE remaining lung. Frankly, I don't think any cure wouldn't kill him faster at this point.
My poor parents...they just keep getting hammered, one after the other...yeesh.
Is it my imagination or has earth passed through the tail of a giant comet made out of shit and bad luck recently?
:(

No longer Trippin
13-07-2005, 06:55:18
You could sue NASA claiming they misaligned the heavens :rolleyes: Seriously though, sounds like a real shitty situation. Hope the work and family issues sort themselves out for the best and soon. Your handling it better than I probably would have. I'm betting I'll be fired before you at the rate I've been going the past few days. They've kept you on probably because you are new to some degree and if the store was underperforming, they are going to go for people who've been there for awhile as companies like Target keep very meticulous records of sales by the hour even I'd expect. Firing management just means they have to hire more - and get them acquainted with everything. Your still probably in that phase, so they are just seeing if your able to do your job, and so far you have. Best of luck.

fp
13-07-2005, 07:04:36
:(

Funko
13-07-2005, 09:15:08
Shit BGH. :(

Tizzy
13-07-2005, 09:29:10
:( That sucks, BGH.

Venom
13-07-2005, 13:06:49
It's never too early to start planning the death of your boss. That's my advice.

Provost Harrison
13-07-2005, 13:11:03
It's like a shower of shit isn't it?

Funko
13-07-2005, 13:13:04
Never had one of those, but I'll take your word for it.

Venom
13-07-2005, 13:17:55
Look at his avatar. He's apparently had a shit shower this morning.

jsorense
14-07-2005, 00:33:50
Very, very sorry BGH. My brother is in the hospital for the second time in two years for different cancers. That sucks.:(

The Norks
14-07-2005, 00:37:46
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Thanks...it's going to be a hell year though. Just got a call from my dad (he never calls...let's my mom do it) to tell me his cancer is back and he's got a fungal infection in his ONE remaining lung. Frankly, I don't think any cure wouldn't kill him faster at this point.
My poor parents...they just keep getting hammered, one after the other...yeesh.
Is it my imagination or has earth passed through the tail of a giant comet made out of shit and bad luck recently?
:(

sorry to hear that :(
Maybe Mr G can send healing mindwaves? :)

jsorense
14-07-2005, 02:13:07
Originally posted by The Norks

Maybe Mr G can send healing mindwaves? :) Mr G has a mind? Hell, that's news to me. :hmm:

BigGameHunter
16-07-2005, 01:30:03
Knowing mr. g it would probably end up being a candygram by mistake!