PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for a cd?

Mr. Bas
09-07-2005, 15:32:32
I'm currently making a cd for myself with all kinds of odds and sods, mostly tracks that are from compilations or singles or for some other reason did not make it onto an album I have, and in some cases I just couldn't be arsed to buy the album so far. If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to burn a couple of extra copies and send them out. It's a bit heavy on hardcore at the moment, but there's no definitive tracklisting yet.

Do you want me to be more specific about bands/songs that'll be included or should I keep the bands unknown, LWP-style?

So anyway, if you want a copy, pm me your address or post it here and a cd will be flying your way whenever I finish the thing.

BigGameHunter
10-07-2005, 18:01:26
I'll take one...PM on the way.

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-07-2005, 18:35:17
Yes please. Post info beforehand if you want, but I'll probably ignore it. I like to go in blindly, but I'm weird like that.

BigGameHunter
10-07-2005, 19:33:31
I'm sure it's made your sex life interesting.

Provost Harrison
10-07-2005, 20:09:23
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Yes please. Post info beforehand if you want, but I'll probably ignore it. I like to go in blindly, but I'm weird like that.

Do you go in for David Blunkett-style sex then? :p

Funko
11-07-2005, 09:00:07
Yeah, I'd like one, thanks. :)

Mr. Bas
11-07-2005, 11:31:03
Okay, I finished the compilation yesterday, still have to get some cases and make an attempt at artwork. It's quite long in order to fit everything onto it that I wanted to, and especially the first half is rather heavy on hardcore. The tracklisting is as follows:

...And you will know us by the trail of dead - Fake fake eyes
Bad Brains - How low can a punk get?
Black Flag - My war (I hope... it's a different version than the one I originally had)
Husker Du - Real world
Husker Du - Afraid of being wrong (live)
Botch - Vietmam
Converge - The saddest day
Converge - My great devastator
Dead Kennedys - MTV get off the air
Soundgarden - 4th of july
Alice in chains - Am I inside
Death from above 1979 - You're a woman, I'm a machine
Dead kennedys - Police truck
Husker du - Eight miles high
Husker du - Green eyes
Cave in - Jupiter
Botch - Rock lobster
Mastodon - Iron tusk
Temple of the dog - Hunger strike
MDC - I remember
Meshuggah - Personae non gratae
Nasum - Doombringer
Nirvana - Moist vagina
Nirvana - I hate myself and want to die

Eklektikos
11-07-2005, 12:29:41
I'll take one too, if that's alright with you.

Mr. Bas
11-07-2005, 14:07:28
Sure!

Laz, could you pm me your address?

Mr. Bas
13-07-2005, 15:18:48
Never mind, I just saw I already have it.

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-07-2005, 19:11:48
I haven't moved.

OK- I peeked. I can assure everybody that "Eight miles high" and "Green eyes" are brilliant tracks.

Mr. Bas
30-07-2005, 13:05:08
Shit.

You'll have to wait a bit longer, everything's ready in principle but I left the cd's in Groningen, and I don't think I'll get back there before next weekend. I'll send it out asap after that.

Scabrous Birdseed
05-08-2005, 20:03:59
Is it too late to get one?

Mr. Bas
16-08-2005, 16:46:49
Yes and no. I'll be happy to send you one later on, but right now I don't have a cd burner at hand and I also don't have the 'artwork' over here... But pm me your address and I'll send one out somewhere during the next weeks. To be honest though, I don't think you'll like it at all. :)

Okay, I've got everything ready now, and I'll send it all out tomorrow. I'll also post my own thoughts on the songs soon, probably this weekend.

Eklektikos
23-08-2005, 09:47:20
Turned up in the post yesterday and I've just managed to give it a first listen. So far I'm liking what I'm hearing, although that probably shouldn't be too surprising.

Bas, have you heard the album/EP thing that that Meshuggah track comes from?

Thankee kindly, by the way. :beer:

Mr. Bas
23-08-2005, 12:33:48
Fine, Mike has received his cd too so I guess the other two will arrive soon as well. Hope you'll enjoy it!

I haven't heard the rest of the Meshuggah album, but apparently the song is from their latest album, catch 33. They played songs from the new album live though, and it sounded quite impressive. But to be honest, they blew me away live but I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about their studio output. I've got the same problem with Strapping Young Lad, brilliant live but not really enjoyable on cd.

Mr. Bas
30-08-2005, 15:44:22
Have the other two arrived as well by now, BGH and Laz?

I'll also post some more info/comments on the first half of the cd in a minute. The second half will follow sometime.

Mr. Bas
30-08-2005, 15:50:21
...And you will know us by the trail of dead - Fake fake eyes
This is from their first, self-titled album and is a fun, straightforward rocker. My first choice was the brilliant 'Ounce of prevention', but unfortunately I did not have that track available on mp3 at the time. Still, although it’s not as evolved as their later albums, it already shows quite a lot of promise and is diverse enough to remain fun throughout its playing time.
Bad Brains - How low can a punk get?
One of the few tracks here that I actually already do have on cd. I simply included this one because it’s totally brilliant. This is the version from ‘Black Dots’, which is far, far better than the annoying ‘Rock for light’ one.
Black Flag - My war (I hope... it's a different version than the one I originally had)
Like I said, this version is different from what I heard earlier, and to be honest I don’t like this one as much. It sounds a bit too tame, especially the drummer sounds way too calm for what’s essentially a very, very angry song. It also lacks all subtlety, but hey, that’s not what hardcore or Black Flag is known for.
Husker Du - Real world
Bob Mould’s anti-anarchy rant Real World is possibly my favourite track from the Metal Circus EP, although everything I’ve heard from it sounds quite good. The recording quality is a bit mediocre, which is unfortunately quite common for Husker Du, but they more than make up for it with a very passionate, energetic delivery with Bob Mould at his most guttural.
Husker Du - Afraid of being wrong (live)
To be honest, this track is a bit shit. 'Afraid of being wrong' is a typical early Husker Du hardcore track and is actually a song I quite like, but in this version it sounds like most of Land Speed Record, a burst of noise where it’s hard to actually pick out the song. It’s really included because of its rarity and not because of its quality.
Botch – Vietmam
We’re now getting into what’s probably the heaviest part of the album. Botch is probably my favourite metalcore/mathcore band, and one of the reasons I put this track on is to remind me that I have to get ‘We are the Romans’ someday soon. It’s a bit like a more groovy, less schizophrenic Dillinger Escape Plan, and this is my favourite track from the otherwise unspectacular ‘Anthology of dead ends’ compilation.
Converge - The saddest day
This is the epic opener from ‘Petitioning the empty sky’, and is considered one of Converge’s classic tracks. It’s quite diverse, with a full-on beginning, some quieter parts, after some time it goes all Slayer and then more metalcore parts. It probably lacks a bit of focus here and there, but I think this is still brilliant stuff.
Converge - My great devastator
Another song by Boston metalcore giants Converge, from one of their split albums. I really like the dynamics of this track, with very slow parts alternated by much faster hardcore pieces. All in all I don’t care too much for Jacob Bannon’s screaming (although it fits), but musically, there are few bands that sound as impressive as Converge IMHO.
Dead Kennedys - MTV get off the air
What can I say? Great band, great track, and probably already known by most of you.
Soundgarden - 4th of july
Like the Bad Brains track, this is purely included because it kicks ass. And because I don’t really listen to Superunknown that much.
Alice in chains - Am I inside
Alice in Chains did both acoustic and heavy quite well, as this track demonstrates. It’s from their first acoustic EP, Sap, and it features Chris Cornell as an additional vocalist. Typically depressive, but quite beautiful if you ask me.
Death from above 1979 - You're a woman, I'm a machine
The title track from the most recent album by this very hip Canadian duo. Their songs tend to sound a bit the same after some time, but it’s still fun to listen to. I especially like this track quite a lot.
Dead kennedys - Police truck
Early single from the Dead Kennedys, and like the other DK track, a song that’s probably familiar to most of you. Which reminds me that I forgot to include Too drunk to fuck, another brilliant single.

Mr. Bas
13-09-2005, 15:52:58
So, has everyone received the cd by now? Any comments or insults to make so far?

BigGameHunter
13-09-2005, 19:08:56
I'm so sorry I haven't listened yet...I haven't had time to listen to my own music in weeks (always disapproving Sarah Mclaughlin/Tori amos loving wife and Barney/Carole King loving kids around).
I recognize a lot of the songs and know it will be awesome when I'm in training for my fight.

Mr. Bas
15-11-2005, 11:29:45
Mike's thread reminded me that I had a set of cd's sent out as well. Johan: I'll send you one eventually, but it'll take at least another month or so. I only have the tracks available on my brother's pc and I won't be seeing him for several weeks, and I don't know where my own copy is. :(

So, any comments from the others? Don't feel obliged to give a track to track review or anything, and if you think it was wank, just say so... But any general impressions? Tracks you liked? Tracks you thought were complete shit?

Lazarus and the Gimp
16-11-2005, 19:51:09
I feel slightly fake in offering comments as I already knew many of these.

Of those I hadn't heard, I was very impressed by Death from Above 1979. So much so that I added their album to my Christmas wish-list.

Converge were mental, but in a fun way. Not sure I'd actually buytheir stuff, but it was an enjoyable one.

Botch are certainly technically impressive, but this sort of thing loses me. It's a bit similar to the effect Tool have on me- I can see the attraction, but it's does a little too studied. Needs more screaming blood and guts stupidity.

I'd be interested to hear what any first-timers made of Bad Brains. They were a real one-off.

Mr. Bas
04-01-2006, 13:31:21
Crap. I knew I forgot something. Johan, I'll send out the cd in the near future, hopefully.

As this thread shows, I'm not the only lazy bastard here. Mike? Eklektikos? BGH? Any comments?

Funko
04-01-2006, 13:42:26
Nope. :)

I generally liked it, I had heard a lot of the bands before if not the actual tracks... it was like a cd of obscure songs by bands I mostly already liked so I was struggling to come up with interesting comments.

Eklektikos
04-01-2006, 17:16:39
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Fake Fake Eyes
I've rarely ever heard this band on record despite having seen them live a few years ago and I must say I initially found this track somewhat underwhelming. Over successive listens it's grown on me quite a bit though, but still never seems as visceral as I remember them being. Qualified thumbs up.

Bad Brains - How Low Can A Punk Get
This, on the other hand, is as good as I'd always hoped Bad Brains would be. Somehow I'd contrived to never hear them before even though I've long had a soft spot for old hardcore punk. Fast, bitter and fun, what more could I ask for from such a band?

Black Flag - My War
Not too impressed with this one. I've got a copy of Damaged but hadn't encountered any of their later material before. I can hear elements that have since been appropriated by other bands that I like, but in and of itself it doesn't do an awful lot for me.

Hüsker Dü - Real World
Brilliant, but I already knew that since Metal Circus was the first Dü album I ever bought.

Hüsker Dü - Afraid Of Being Wrong (live)
A new one on me this time, having not listened to any of Hüsker Dü's old hundred-mile-an-hour hardcore stuff. Not bad as it goes, but extremely weak compared to the vast majority of the other (later) material of theirs which I've heard.

Botch - Vietmam
Another song I already possessed, but a pretty good one all said.

Converge - The Saddest Day
I love it when Converge indulge in extended composition and this one is no exception. Makes me think that I should probably explore their back catalogue more fully at some point, having only really heard the last two albums and the odd track off the Agoraphobic Nosebleed split.

Converge - My Great Devastator
See above.

Dead Kennedys - MTV - Get Off The Air
Jello Biafra is a very, very silly man. This does not, however, prevent this song from being very, very good. Pointed and fun at the same time.

Soundgarden - 4th Of July
Deceptively catchy. Not sure why I like it when Soundgarden do slow and pompous, but I do.

Alice In Chains - Am I Inside?
Took me several listens to realise that I already owned the album that this is taken from. Since I'd completely forgotten how good said album is I'm really rather grateful for this song's inculsion. So, er... Ta.

Death From Above 1979 - You're A Woman, I'm A Machine
Does absolutely nothing for me. Sure, it charges along at a decent pace, but I just don't seem to get anything out of it. Oh well.

Dead Kennedys - Police Truck
With the daftness of the previous DK song stripped away, it's easier to spot how good a lyricist Biafra really is. The music's not exactly bad either - I like.

Hüsker Dü - Eight Miles High
Exactly how I managed to fail to hear this song before I don't know, but it's bloody good. Didn't think so at first listen, but it's grown on me like fungus on a bathroom cupboard wall.

Hüsker Dü - Green Eyes
Grant, I thought better of you. Really, I did.

Cave In - Jupiter
Jury's still out on this one. I orginally wrote it off as an emo-ish waste of space, but it may be growing on me. Not there yet, though and may never be so.

Botch - Rock Lobster
I've never really forgiven Kate Pearson for making Shiny Happy People even worse than it should have been, so hearing a big be-stetsoned mentalist and his mates give a B52s song a goodly smacking around warms the cockles of my heart.

Mastodon - Iron Tusk
"Not bad but nothing special" would be my view of this song. Certainly good enough that it doesn't usually suffer the indignity of the track skip button.

Temple Of The Dog - Hunger Strike
Nice but unremarkable in my opinion. Good vocals but I find the song as a whole to be a tad pedestrian.

MDC - I Remember
Pretty much what I'd expect from an old hardcore band really. Decent lyrics, but for some reason the song doesn't stand out for me. Compares badly with the Dead Kennedys tracks earlier on the CD.

Meshuggah - Personae Non Grata
This track was taken from an album which is essentially a series of subtle variations on a single bassline/riff and as such I don't think being heard in isolation does it any favours as, taken out of its intended context, it doesn't really seem to go anywhere.

Nasum - Doombringer
I can't decide whether this wants to be solo-less death metal or hardcore, but whatever it is I rather like it.

The Nirvana tracks I like well enough but really could never be arsed to listen to as I find them too familiar by this point.