PDA

View Full Version : Which MMORPG?

Lurker the Second
07-07-2005, 13:16:07
Let's say I want to get one of these. Which one? (I don't know jack about any of this, btw.)

Greg W
07-07-2005, 13:24:57
Well, do you have a preference for style? Like fantasy, sci-fi, WWII, super hero? All of which exist. Fantasy and Sci-Fi are the most popular genres in terms of number of games...

I mean, off the top of my head, the list would include:
Fantasy
Everquest
Everquest II
Ultima Online
Final Fantasy X
Shadowbane
Worlds of Warcraft

Sci-Fi
Star Wars: Galaxies
The Matrix Online
Anarchy Online

Misc
WWII Online (WWII duh)
City of Heroes/Villains (super hero)

Then there's all the others that I have no doubt forgotten about, or just odn't know enough about to even begin to comment on. Like Guild Wars.

fp
07-07-2005, 13:27:34
World of Warcraft?

It really depends on what kind of experience you're after. Are you mostly looking to play by yourself, or mostly in groups? Will you mostly want to fight monsters, or other players? Are you more interested in super-heroes or orcs/elves or space ships?

For a taster of the experience you could try Guild Wars. It has no monthly fee for a start and is a very good game. It's not what would classically be called an MMORPG though.

King_Ghidra
07-07-2005, 13:31:41
wow is a nice friendly rpg

having played quite a few it is pretty much the friendliest and most suited to different styles of play i have seen

city of heroes is nice and rewarding but a bit repetitive

Venom
07-07-2005, 13:38:50
Galaxies so you can join up with Jon MIlelER and I. And maybe HelloKitty if she rises from the grave.

JM^3
07-07-2005, 13:56:13
for fantasy there is also

Asherons Call

Asherons Call 2

Lineage

Lineage 2

Dark Age of Camelot

JM

Lurker the Second
07-07-2005, 14:26:23
Originally posted by Venom
Galaxies so you can join up with Jon MIlelER and I. And maybe HelloKitty if she rises from the grave.

:lol: Marketing isn't your strong point, is it?

Ideally, I think I'd prefer a game that allows you to accomplish things solo, but which ultimately encourages group interaction for best results. Also, I'd prefer something that people here actually play, like Galaxies or WoW.

Venom
07-07-2005, 15:06:25
Galaxies does just that. I solo many missions and can do just fine, but when I grouped with some big dogs (like last night) I achieved more and had more fun. Except for one guy who was making fun of me. But I ignored him. Apparently he doesn't know that I get made fun of all the time. By my own mother.

JM^3
07-07-2005, 15:19:25
There was also that guy who you convinced I was someone famous.

That was hilarious (he sent me a number of tells).

Jon Miller
(I didn't really feel like interacting with him.. so didn't play along, right now I wish I had)

JM^3
07-07-2005, 15:21:18
also, Guild Wars

although that is a little different

but so is WW2 online

I currently play WoW about every day, and SWG a couple times a week.

WoW is a better game, SWG is a better world.

Jon Miller

The Higgelhoff
07-07-2005, 15:23:18
I've played Asherons Call2, AO and WoW.

WoW is defintely the one that can be picked up easily and great for Solo play. Groupwise it's a little lonely. :(

JM^3
07-07-2005, 15:25:46
Guild Wars requires groups btw. And can be really fun with groups. All the groups I was in last week sucked though, which is why I haven't played this week.

Jon Miller

Venom
07-07-2005, 15:27:08
Ah yes. One little innocent MTV cribs comment and people thought you were famous.

JM^3
07-07-2005, 15:37:35
oh

also the average age of WoW and Guild Wars players is much much lower then the average age of AO and SWG players

I would say that the later two have most of players in their mid 20s to mid 30s, while there is a significant portion of preteens/teenagers in WoW/GW

Jon Miller

Lurker the Second
07-07-2005, 15:43:20
Is one better in terms of reliability/lag/support, etc.?

Venom
07-07-2005, 15:49:02
I never lag in Galaxies though I've seen other's complain. Can't speak about reliability or support either.

JM^3
07-07-2005, 15:49:34
older ones generally have less players... but also worse programming (so lag ends up being about the same)

and the best looking right now would be

WoW
EQ2
CoH
GW
FFXI

basically the newer ones..

AO is basically free if you play just the original game, right now

and you can play EQ, EQ2, and SWG for 20 a month (when one game generally costs 13-15)

Jon Miller

Lurker the Second
07-07-2005, 17:00:09
Can you install the same game on two computers and play two characters at the same time by having two subscriptions, or do you have to buy two copies of the game? Is it the same answer for WoW and SWG?

Shining1
07-07-2005, 17:14:48
You'll need two boxes and two subscriptions to do that, I'm pretty sure. For WoW, at least.

WoW is a little shaky at technical stuff, but has made great strides over it's startup time. And to be fair, they've been kinda ambushed by getting 1.5 million signups in the first 9 months. Some of the community is pretty juvenile. As against that, you can solo right the way through to 60 in a reasonable amount of time, and it doesn't really recreate the kind of grind that make City of Heroes bad for me.

Getting into a good, established guild is the key to the whole game, perhaps the whole genre. Once you are able to team with people you are relatively familiar with instead of random losers, the enjoyment goes up a lot. =)

I would definitely recommend WoW. Unless Blizzard does something criminially insane, it's a game with a solid future.

Lurker the Second
07-07-2005, 18:43:42
Well, fortuity chose SWG. Went to Best Buy during lunch with the idea I'd make up my mind there, but they were out of WoW, so .....

Will install tonight. Do I need to pick a side?

Venom
07-07-2005, 18:51:56
Not yet. Though you can if you want to get a ship. Then you can go on leave and still use your ship with no consequences. You will have to pick a server though. Choose Bria and start on Tatooine.

Now head to the Galaxies thread and we'll talk more.

JM^3
07-07-2005, 19:06:05
pick Bria as your server..

if I am on tonight, it will be late

Jon Miller

MDA
07-07-2005, 20:20:49
Some of the new guys in my WoW guild are complete boobs. Unfortunately, I just got made into an officer.

I'm totally hooked on WoW, and its my first MMORPG. Lots of stuff to do - solo, group, group instances, PvP, PvP battlegrounds (capture the flag turned out to be fun, despite my hesitation to try it).

zmama
08-07-2005, 01:45:19
hehehehe thought you might.

It's a blast :D

Diss
08-07-2005, 01:54:06
all mmorpg's suck.

okay, I only tried 2 of them. But I tried the best 2.

The Higgelhoff
08-07-2005, 08:19:04
Which two did you try?

lightblue
08-07-2005, 11:02:46
I like WoW as well, stopped for a month recently after my guild merged with another and a lot of the old core left for other games (back to DAoC or to Guildwars). Came back recently though, and it's quite fun.

Molten Core is an amazing sight, not so much for the mobs which are basically bigger and nastier versions of other mobs, but for getting 40 people to work together, and work together well. VT is essential though, as are a number of add ons.

MDA
08-07-2005, 11:49:51
VT?

The Higgelhoff
08-07-2005, 12:11:56
I can't wait to do some higher level content. Last night I worked with another person when we had to raid a camp which was great fun - but so far it's lonely.

MDA
08-07-2005, 13:08:47
We have a Westfall (?) raid coming up in the guild - we're all 20 somethings with a few low 30 levels. It should be interesting.

JM^3
08-07-2005, 13:17:09
why do you need to raid anything in Westfall?

a group of 5 level 20 somethings should kill really fast, and the instance there is doable with 3ish levels 20 somethings

JM

lightblue
08-07-2005, 14:12:28
Originally posted by MDA
VT?

Ventrillo. Voice comm program used to coordinate larger groups (and for Counterstrike clans etc).

zmama
08-07-2005, 14:31:53
Originally posted by JM^3
why do you need to raid anything in Westfall?

a group of 5 level 20 somethings should kill really fast, and the instance there is doable with 3ish levels 20 somethings

JM

A pvp raid, Jon. They'll get some honor kills and then the alliance 60's will decend from Stormwind and wipe em out and corpse camp em.

Good times

Nav
08-07-2005, 14:38:09
There's also eve online which is bit like elite/x-2 in space. I played it for a couple of months before just not having time for it.

MDA
08-07-2005, 14:57:10
Originally posted by zmama
A pvp raid, Jon. They'll get some honor kills and then the alliance 60's will decend from Stormwind and wipe em out and corpse camp em.

Good times

That doesn't sound like any fun at all.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
08-07-2005, 15:01:24
Originally posted by lightblue
VT is essential though, as are a number of add ons.

I noticed your addons in your dump in the other thread. What all are you using?

MDA
08-07-2005, 15:46:00
yes, I want to know the good ones and what they do.

I know nearly nothing of add-ons.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
08-07-2005, 18:59:33
I have small parts of Cosmos added, with most of it disabled as it seems way too buggy (such as: error messages popping up when opening the quest list, plain ol' CtD's, etc.) Which reminds me: I have a few I need to turn off when I get back home, as they're not being used and I don't miss 'em. Most useful thing I've found is the ability to move various screen objects around (like the on-screen quest summary list), and a display of party and mob hitpoints (as percentages). But the ones lightblue is using look way cooler :D

Got a few others too, mostly for extra item tool tip info, and to make notes on the main map. Also very handy!

lightblue
08-07-2005, 20:30:21
The dump is one of my guildies photographing me, not sure what he uses, i think it might be Insomniax

I use the nolby pride set (http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php has it all or http://www.nolbypride.se if you want). It includes the usuals like bibbars and that sort of thing. For raiding you need CTRaid (especially if you're a healing class, lets you see all mana/hp of everyone in a raid, set Main tank/main assist, cancels heals if you threaten to overheal on someone), decursive (checks entire raid for things you can cure/dispel) and some of the Molten Core addons for encounters like Magdamar or Geddon.

Diss
09-07-2005, 09:15:56
Originally posted by The Higgelhoff
Which two did you try?

wow and EQ2

HelloKitty
11-07-2005, 22:26:49
Originally posted by Diss
wow and EQ2

Whoa! Someone who hates both WoW and EQ2.

Oh and Matrix online is now part of the Sony Access. Should be officially added int he next month or two they are working on converting the subs and moving the servers to their california location.

So its 21$ per month for SWG, EQ, EQ2, Planetside, Marix online, Their 2 crappy other games, and the Playstation EQs.

Diss
14-07-2005, 04:21:40
not that I hate them. They were fun for a little while. But there's no draw for me to invest hundreds of hours. I can't see how people do it.

Perhaps my attention span is too low now days. I need a plot or story of some sort.

HelloKitty
14-07-2005, 14:29:43
Try FFXI. Personally I hate it but it has one story. EQ had no story at all, it had thousands of little stories but your character made their own story. EQ2 has that lore behind it, but still, no central story.

WOW a little more so but still nothign you can call a central story.

FFXI is more of a console single player RPG ported to play with other people and then the exp rate dropped to almost nothing.

HelloKitty
14-07-2005, 14:31:44
OH, and City of Heroes has probably the coolest story lines for each of their quests.

EQ2 has some real nice ones as well but they are mixed in with the "kill 10 booger monsters" that WoW has tons of too.

King_Ghidra
14-07-2005, 14:53:00
Originally posted by HelloKitty
Try FFXI. Personally I hate it but it has one story. EQ had no story at all, it had thousands of little stories but your character made their own story. EQ2 has that lore behind it, but still, no central story.

WOW a little more so but still nothign you can call a central story.

FFXI is more of a console single player RPG ported to play with other people and then the exp rate dropped to almost nothing.

for those that don't really know about it, i would say FFXI is a hardcore mmorpg

by that i mean:

proper forced grouping - soloing abslutely not an option
mobs not 'tethered' and difficult to outrun when things go wrong - wipes are common
harsh death penalties - xp loss and potential delevelling
far more grinding than quest activities
level caps that require very difficult tasks to pass
named rare mobs on multi-hour timers camped for best items
complicated account concept, only one character per account, and you can't even choose the world you play on without a special item

it is a proper time sink, and very frustrating in many ways

i can see kitty's point about the story, but sure, you can play the missions and there is a strong single story running through them, but that is a minimal part of the content, you have to do a lot of tedious grinding and levelling between those missions

FFXI is good fun when you have a reliable party or guild and plenty of time to play. But it sucks for n00bs and casual types.

The Higgelhoff
14-07-2005, 18:35:27
AO used to be very user-unfriendly. To be any good you had to spend hours 'twinking' which could involve 5 other professions to flip between implants, buffs, equipment etc...

AO was VERY rewarding though. Unfortunately anyone can pick it up now and everything is too balanced.

JM^3
14-07-2005, 19:07:31
Originally posted by The Higgelhoff
AO used to be very user-unfriendly. To be any good you had to spend hours 'twinking' which could involve 5 other professions to flip between implants, buffs, equipment etc...

AO was VERY rewarding though. Unfortunately anyone can pick it up now and everything is too balanced.

:lol:

:clueless:

:lol:

believe me, there is still hours and hours of twinking involved

last august/september I spent 1 whole month twinking (it took a whole month because I could only change a perk point once per 3-days) (currently it is a lot easier to twink because you can change 1 per day)

even when I didn't have to reset a lot of perks to twink, it still generally requires hours and hours to find all te items that give one point here, and another there to get on the weapon/armor peice/symbiant/NCU I want to

eben at low levels it takes 6 hours (to do something like get on QL 100 implants at level 36)

beleive me, twinking is no where near dead in AO

Jon Miller
(and it still often requires at least 3 changes of implants (if not more), 5 different professions, and weird items which you often have to camp for hours to get (or spend millions))

The Higgelhoff
14-07-2005, 19:18:12
That's at low levels - all my chars are/were pretty much 220.

JM^3
14-07-2005, 19:22:51
right, I admit to not having a clue about what it takes to be good at those levels

looking at the stats for shade spirits, I would guess that there is still twinking to be done there (and I think that 300 would be impossible)

it is true that really good twinks are more and more only possible at low levels

did yuo see the guy who had a slayer droid in temple of three winds?

that is a pretty good twink, considering that nonnanomages use to struggle to have one by 200 (pre expansions) (or so I have heard)

JM

The Higgelhoff
14-07-2005, 19:48:07
Yeah, pre notum wars it was very hard to get a Slayer.

JM^3
14-07-2005, 19:54:04
just a reminder, you can't go into ToTW above level 60, I think he was level 58

JM

Shining1
15-07-2005, 03:57:19
City of Heroes for storyline. Flat out.

World of Warcraft has a wonderful setting, and there's obviously some scope for developement. But the feeling of being involved in a huge, overarching storyline is tangential at best. CoH has some of the best writen quests in any game, up to and including the Baldur's Gate titles.

The Higgelhoff
15-07-2005, 12:26:32
My greatest feat in twinking was getting Grid Armour on at level 10. I've still got the char and he's unbeatable at PvP.

JM^3
15-07-2005, 15:01:45
wow

really, wow

I was thinking that it would be doable at 15, and was going to try it...

but wow

since you aren't playing anymore, mind telling your setup?

JM

The Higgelhoff
15-07-2005, 17:12:08
Mmmf, good question. I think I managed to get into 70 implants. I really can't remember the rest. It was the NCU's that were a problem if I remember correctly.

JM^3
15-07-2005, 17:29:28
yeah, if I had open NCU I would be able to do it easily with mochams + wrangle...

JM

The Higgelhoff
15-07-2005, 17:36:21
I remember having two sets of armour that adds to NCU, can't remember the name of it - some kind of Omni armour I think - it was mustard yellow.

devilmunchkin
16-07-2005, 07:27:34
i wouldn't get into FFXI unless you're prepared to devote your life. I've played it for 2 years now and it's damn hard to get anywhere unless you have an assload of time to devote to it.

Here's an example: Being "high Lvl" is where it's at. TO get high lvl you have to lvl up more than one job..your main and a sub job. For all that i've played, i've still not capped out my first job...i work full time. But if you're a kid or college kid with no life it wouldn't be too hard to do. Then. for end game, you get to camp monsters for 6+ hours that you may or may not get to fight (depends on if another group gets the monster first when it pops)..... many missions and camping of monsters to get items for equipment take hours upon hours to complete...and the groups of ppl (linkshell) you would need to get into to get a change at these items often require that you devote your soul to them.\

however, the story lines are great...there are so many stories and things to do..

oh and be prepared to be hated by the japanese a lot of time...just for being american/english...anything not JP.

and to fight the chinese gilsellers for everything..