worth it?

I don't really need the onboard sound

MDA
01-07-2005, 16:31:29
also under consideration:

BFG BFGRNF4U

and

ABIT Fatal1ty AN8

suggestions on other "for athlon" boards are welcome - I'm planning on getting a processor in the 3500 to 4000+ range.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
01-07-2005, 18:33:20
Orgrimmar lags too much?

No longer Trippin
04-07-2005, 12:21:10
AN8 out of those choices... personally I'd get a DFI LanParty. The SLi versions will run you btw 150-200 US. Seems to have tested better in the reviews I've read than the AN8, but your slicing it pretty damned thin to really make a comparison.

Please don't tell me your considering wasting you money on an SLi setup. 7800 GTXs are running pretty even with 6800 Ultra SLi rigs (in games with eyecandy, not stupid 3D mark with no AA/AF) without all the problems of SLi (slowly getting fixed admittedly).

MDA
05-07-2005, 04:43:56
No SLI, thanks :) Sounded like useless overkill, pretty much the way you described it.

Now I'm being told I should wait until next month.

Here's another one - is XP going to freak if I just swap my old HD into a new system? I have a new copy of XP, but don't really want to go to the trouble to set it up right away. It'd be better if I could swap my old drive in and install the new XP on the new drive at my leisure.

Ogrimmar lags like a whipped dog.

I'll take a look at that other board, too Trip.

Mostly looking for ease of use.

No longer Trippin
05-07-2005, 05:47:43
If your not punishing your system in any way, shape, or form the AN8, the DFI's, and even the MSIs can be overkill. I wouldn't even worry about a board that is "SLi" capable. Just get one with one 16x slot since that is all you need for one card anyhow. The board you mentioned in the title, the AN8, and the top end DFIs are all boards which cater to a really small market. They are damned solid boards, but your paying out the ass for what you don't need if you don't overclock. I'd look at the "lower" end boards from DFI, MSI, or Abit given the fact that your not pushing the board and components. Why pay 25-75 extra for components on a board you don't need - larger caps, heavier duty MOSFETs, more PCB layers, along with all the other crap that is "marketable" like dual gigabit, soundblaster live onboard, 15 USB ports or whatever.

You will be hard pressed to find a board without onboard sound as even most old A-XP boards have at least AC-97 capabilities. If you do, it probably wouldn't be from one of the three companies mentioned but from ECS or something (which I'd avoid unless you love troubleshooting motherboards).

XP could play nice (unlikely) on the old drive as master without a fresh install. If installed to a new drive (set to master) it'll be okay. If not and you only have that one drive, it'll likely throw a shit fit and require a reinstall or a repair at the very least (close enough to an install). You won't need a new copy unless your running it on two machines or just too lazy to call India.

MDA
05-07-2005, 12:32:42
No plans to overclock at present, but who knows?

Probably not, though, if I can save money and reduce risk to my components at the same time.:)

Not sure I even have install disks for my old copy of XP - it came on a Gateway box - I'll have to look through my box of lost software and see if its in there. I got the new copy just before leaving school - XP and Office and a bunch of other stuff for $99, figured I'd grab the student discount while I still could.

zmama
05-07-2005, 13:29:39
And as for Orgrimmar...just throw as much RAM at it as possible. One gig is the min for playing the capital cities without too much lag

MDA
05-07-2005, 18:25:25
I dealt with the worst of the lag with a defrag, I still have to wait quite some time when I first come into Ogrimmar for things to stabilize, but after that, its not bad with 512 MB

god forbid I had been there when the alliance tried to raid - I saw a pile of skeletons outside the gates last night

No longer Trippin
06-07-2005, 03:19:11
If it came with a Gateway box, the CD won't work. It checks the BIOS for a Gateway code. You'll need a new disk (non dell, gateway, etc.).

MDA
06-07-2005, 11:47:20
I figured something like that would happen. Thanks.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
06-07-2005, 17:41:26
Don't make the mistake of buying a retail version of XP - the OEM versions are just as good and will set you back about $120 instead of $300.

I seem to recall Trip saying you could get them cheaper than that somewhere (legal!) but I'll be damned if I know where. Could have used that a month ago when buying a new CoA for the kids.

MDA, go for more than 1 Gig if you can afford it. Sure, WoW works with 1 gig with minimal lag, but if you want to do something else as well in the background (say, a spreadsheet and browser) the more RAM the merrier. Plus you'll be futureproofing your PC for when the next version of Windows ships :D

Deacon
06-07-2005, 19:49:35
For hard drive transferring, it might be possible to use the MS sysprep tool. I have Windows 2000, so I don't know for sure if there's anything like that on the XP CD. Anyway, sysprep more or less uninstalls the drivers and dumps the user data. If sysprep works as advertised (I haven't tried it), either the disk itself or an image of the disk can be installed to any other computer. Starting the machine triggers OS setup. I believe that applications are preserved. In any event, it would be advisable to try it on a test system first.

I found this with Google:

http://www.motherboard.windowsreinstall.com/winxp.htm

No longer Trippin
07-07-2005, 04:26:40
newegg...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151

That's the home version... they throw in a Y-cable or something for 99 cents to get you the discount. Used to be able to get pro for about that much IIRC and home for much less - I heard rumors awhile back that MS was getting pissed off at about such deals, seems they've leaned on them a bit as the price has gone up.

Pro is 140 or so, but you don't need that unless your running a serious home network.

MDA
11-07-2005, 14:56:33
case, board, and chip on the way, the rest should be here next week :beer:

Got the MSI board - but I don't think this one has the SLI, which I decided was overkill after all.

Wife convinced me to upgrade my plan with an FX-55 San Diego, not that she needed to twist my arm. She's the CFO, though.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
11-07-2005, 17:49:42
Originally posted by No longer Trippin
newegg...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151

That's the home version... they throw in a Y-cable or something for 99 cents to get you the discount. Used to be able to get pro for about that much IIRC and home for much less - I heard rumors awhile back that MS was getting pissed off at about such deals, seems they've leaned on them a bit as the price has gone up.

Pro is 140 or so, but you don't need that unless your running a serious home network.

I would still go for Pro just in case you decide to add to your home network in the future. When I bought XP Pro a few years back, it just for standalone, but since then I added a wireless PC, laptop, wired DSL router, one of those nifty cheap Linksys NAS interface servers. I'm not sure Home would have handled it as well, and heck, it was only $30 more for Pro. Still, I feel dirty giving Microsoft extra money...

No longer Trippin
12-07-2005, 02:35:34
Seems like it'll be quite a setup - and if your wife is letting you grab an FX-55, sounds like she's happy. Personally about to rebuild with an X2. Waiting for the low end release (should be soon) to see if they are binned heavy - if they are I'll just have to spend a decent bit more for one that'll play nicer. Good luck on getting it all running, and good luck on your wife not taking a hammer to it once she realizes where you'll be wanting to spend most of your time.

MDA
12-07-2005, 12:58:36
She's usually 2 feet away, watching closely. She's a computer game wife. :beer: Most stuff she just watches, but she really likes Age of Wonders/HOMM3, Tropico, Thief, and Railroad Tycoon. and Zangband :lol:

She watches and advises WoW with me and we still get crushed. We're getting 2 1 Gig sticks of memory just because of WoW. Memory is too damn cheap to skimp on really.

I initially balked at the FX-55 because of the greater price, but she said it fits in the budget, and I wasn't about to argue.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
12-07-2005, 15:19:44
LoC would strangle me if she had to watch me play any flavour of Angband :lol: I've had people ask me if I was running some kind of electronic circuit design software.

MDA
12-07-2005, 16:06:51
ah, the games I listed she plays - except for Thief, not sure that one is in there except that she loves it so much

She's a permanent lurker on the TTLG forums

No longer Trippin
13-07-2005, 09:06:16
Mine doesn't play any games at all - doesn't mind that I play them (although I haven't really played for any real length in quite some time). So the jury is out on that one if she REALLY minds.

The FX-55 is one expensive chip - and it being the only unlocked one is just plain evil IMO. You two must be doing well for yourselves. Congrats there. Last I remember you were still mired down with school or just starting to look for work IIRC.

Personally going to be grabbing an X2 somewhat soon given the encouraging news I've seen on how it performs and takes abuse.

As for ram, I'm going to be grabbing a tonof it soon because of gigabyte's new ramdrives along with new system ram for the X2 when that purchase comes around. Ram won't be this cheap forever, and I'm just grabbing it before micron, samsung, etc. rebalance their stocks of DDR to DDR 2 and pump the prices back up and i don't want to be caught buying in that kinda market. Forget the ramdrives if prices rise before I can get them. I would like the performance, but not at what DDRs usual price is at. I'd grab two gigs as well if gaming, you shouldn't need more than that down the line as 1 gig is only broken by a small handful of games and applications right now, and those only need it because of online play or piss poor coding and memory leaking patches.

MDA
13-07-2005, 11:59:34
Thanks, got out of school a little over a year ago and got a nice stable government job for good pay - we've been looking to replace our old computer for about a year and a half, so I guess she felt like we deserved a better chip. I'm not usually the one recommending cheaper options, its a new, not altogether unpleasant thing.

MDA
14-07-2005, 19:43:29
got the MSI board, the fx-55 and the case yesterday - in the mail: 450W power supply, 2x1GB sticks of RAM, DVD-RW drive, hard drive is around somewhere from buying it over a year ago - 120 or 80 gig, IIRC, it'll do for a while, if I can hook it up.

No longer Trippin
15-07-2005, 04:08:35
You need to find it first to hook it up. :D

MDA
15-07-2005, 15:41:07
Found it- it should work just fine I think - Ultra ATA should work fine, right?

I forget why I chose that particular drive- I think it was on sale and had a ridiculously huge rebate.

No longer Trippin
17-07-2005, 21:35:17
SATA offers no real benefit so I wouldn't worry - it's benefits are mostly going to be realized in the distant (for computers anyhow) future.

Nav
18-07-2005, 09:51:10
Originally posted by MDA
Here's another one - is XP going to freak if I just swap my old HD into a new system? I have a new copy of XP, but don't really want to go to the trouble to set it up right away. It'd be better if I could swap my old drive in and install the new XP on the new drive at my leisure.
If XP detects your drive is in a different computer it will ask you to re-activate it (that happened to me when I had a harddrive failure and had to swap in another XP drive).

For future drive purchases SATA is definately the way to go, they are far easier to install (though insure you use a quality cable), while they might not offer amazing speed increases, they are becoming more and more the industry standard.

Lurker the Second
18-07-2005, 17:26:45
The XP activation is crazy. I get the point, but there's no reason it should be set up to do that when all I did was (a) replace one fan (b) add another fan, and (c) boot the computer while the cd drive was out so I could test the fans. I had to reactivate even then.

MDA
18-07-2005, 17:38:40
That's good information Lurker.

"Put entire computer together before installing XP"

and get a SATA drive next time around.

Have to drive to Hagerstown tonight to pick up the rest of the bits b/c FedEx won't deliver when I'm not home without being releived of responsibility, and I don't want hundreds of dollars in electronics left on my front porch.

~relieved~ :bash:

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
18-07-2005, 18:29:08
They did that with my PC parts when I was buying them. UPS and FedEx both left them in different spots, and I think FedEx actually went to the trouble of making them as difficult as possible to find, to the effect of my not finding one component until I was leaving for work the next day. Not good in frosty wintertime weather. Good thing it wasn't the harddrive.

MDA
19-07-2005, 11:41:24
Wow, FedEx was nice enough to let me pick up my package between 7 and 7:15 pm. Bastards can only be bothered to stay open 15 min after the trucks are due back in.

Got everything assembled and almost finished installing XP - Fun, but it was over too fast. The only thing I messed up was putting power to the video card - I guess that's to run the fan on it, which is something I've never had before.

The power and HD LEDs on the case even light up!!!

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
19-07-2005, 15:17:37
What's your video card? To my knowledge, the power cable is to run the GPU - they're making them power hungry these days I guess.

MDA
19-07-2005, 16:18:48
x850 something or other - from Powercolor

It was one of the higher end ones you could buy, but I got another "go for it" from Mrs. MDA.

Once I have this up and running I plan on doing some modest overclocking. No watercooling, though.

MDA
20-07-2005, 11:58:11
Didn't install the soundcard before I installed XP, but I already knew I could get away with that one. :)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
20-07-2005, 21:27:18
x850 isn't bad. I'm still waiting for an overall "My computer is better than Darkstar's!!" post :D

MDA
21-07-2005, 11:41:49
It is! I can play SMAC on maximum settings! The hot pink planet-fungus writhes about and gives me seizures, though. On the brighter side (brighter than hot pink? yes!), The infinite range planet buster bug dissappeared and the AI no longer spam-builds needlejets. All that was due to bad hardware.

Eat it, Darkstar! Yeeeeeaaaaaah!

PS. Darkstar, if you come back I expect a page long reply including an apology for leaving us alone with Mr. G

He's still got a space shuttle, but it does't work, either :lol: