PDA

View Full Version : Dear lord, what have I done.

Pages : [1] 2

Oerdin
01-07-2005, 07:54:11
So I've been intrigued by Laz's posts about English scumpy so I decided to follow the directions HERE (http://www.devon-calling.com/food%20and%20drink/cider.htm) and make my own. The problem is I just sort of skimmed the directions then went out and bought the ingredients. I saw the "one gallon of 70 degree water" and I thought that meant the directions made 1 gallon of scrumpy. Since I have a 6 gallon carboy for brewing I decided to multiply everything by six.

I didn't want to fill the carboy all the way up so I decided to times the recipe by five. For the math challenged, like me, that means instead of 12 lbs of apples I bought 60 frigging pound of apples, 2.5 lbs of raisins, and 2.5 lbs of ground raw beef.

It turns out the original recipe makes right around five gallons of scrumpy. WTF am I going to do with all those fucking left over apples? I guess I could make more cider though I'd need to buy more carboys and fermintation locks which I'd never use again. There is also the fact that I'm not sure what I would do with 25 gallons of scrumpy nor where I will be storing said 25 gallons of scrumpy for the next year. I was planning on putting it in the closet but I'm not sure the closet is big enough for all that frigging cider. :bash:

The Higgelhoff
01-07-2005, 07:55:21
Beef ?!

eeeeww.

Oerdin
01-07-2005, 08:03:25
That was the traditional English recipe which Laz recommended. Raw ground meat tossed in. I believe both the meat and the raisins serve as nutrients for the yeast since apples don't have everything it takes to get the yeast going. In beer brewing we use special packets of yeast nutrient just to make sure the fermintation doesn't stall but I wanted to try this the REALLY OLD FAHIONED way.

I think I will make a few more batches since I don't know what else to do with the remaining few dozen pounds of apples on my sink. Likely, I'll try a few different cider recipes to see how things turn out each way. In the others I will skip the raw meat.

mr.G
01-07-2005, 08:33:50
go to a school and give every teacher an apple, let's call it give-the-teacher-an apple-day.

Oerdin
01-07-2005, 08:42:20
They'd likely think I was some nut ball trying to poison the teachers.

fp
01-07-2005, 08:44:03
:lol:

Nice one Oerdin. :beer:

I suggest you have a really big party and put the paramedics on speed dial.

The Higgelhoff
01-07-2005, 08:45:39
Realise everyman's dream and have a bath in it! :beer: :beer:

Gary
01-07-2005, 08:56:19
Sod it, buy the extra carboys. You should easily be able to sell them again afterwards to enthusiasts.

Shove the produce up in the loft, it'll keep the 6 months before you finish it.

It's one of the bonuses of home brewing, make 5 times as much it not only ferments better but it lasts almost twice as long.

(Note : Fermentation benefit probably not applicable if you're not using a 25 gallon vessel.)

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-07-2005, 08:56:49
I'm going to move in with Oerdin and cuddle him.

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-07-2005, 08:57:55
Originally posted by The Higgelhoff
Beef ?!

eeeeww.

The traditional scrumpy method used dead rats. Any that were killed around the farm were chucked in.

The Higgelhoff
01-07-2005, 09:07:27
That is absolutely foul; which would of been a great pun if they used dead chickens :(

Spartak@work
01-07-2005, 09:11:50
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
The traditional scrumpy method used dead rats. Any that were killed around the farm were chucked in. Alternatively, if they fell in the vat so much the better.

Nills Lagerbaak
01-07-2005, 09:16:03
Wow, I knew about the dead rat thing, I prefer the "romantic" story of how they descovered it. Rats used to scurry along the rafters and fall into the open vats sometimes. That created the taste. It might be bull, but I like it.

I didn't realise they still use raw meat though. I wonder how many of my vegetarian friends have inadvertently been drinking raw meat (albeit once digested) ha ha ha

Funko
01-07-2005, 09:20:46
:lol: @ Oerdin but also - AWESOME that he is making traditional scrumpy.

This is possibly the best CG story since Venom came out as a pirate.

Nills Lagerbaak
01-07-2005, 09:36:56
I know. It is amazing, I think it will earn him poster of the year, you mark my words.
We'll all come over and have a scrumpy ho down to celebrate, maybe we could hire the Wurzles! Sweet!

I want to make some now, but I have no idea what a carboy is?

Funko
01-07-2005, 09:43:12
I think getting a scrumpy ho down might mean something different in california.

Is a carboy a boy racer?

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-07-2005, 10:12:59
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak

I want to make some now, but I have no idea what a carboy is?

http://www.ecofunnels.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/EC-20020-300pix.jpg

The Higgelhoff
01-07-2005, 10:17:32
That's a jerry can.

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-07-2005, 10:17:35
Originally posted by Spartak@work
Alternatively, if they fell in the vat so much the better.

There was a legendary batch produced at the Oakhill brewery in the 1920's that was still talked about decades after as the best scrumoy ever. At the bottom of the vat they found the mortal remains of one of the brewery's cats.

The Higgelhoff
01-07-2005, 10:18:10
:vom:

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-07-2005, 10:18:40
That's a jerry can.

Aye. AKA a carboy.

In rougher establihments, washed-out oil cans are used.

The Higgelhoff
01-07-2005, 10:23:06
This is a carboy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/images/brentalikes/boyracer.jpg

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-07-2005, 10:24:41
Oerdin- a couple of tips for you.

The real traditional scrumpies used no added yeast, and relied on the natural yeast traces on the apple skins. You need to bear in mind that unless you use organic apples, modern farming methods seriously reduce the presence of that yeast so you might be well advised to add some. Even if you use organic apples, fermentatio can still be haphazard and you might end up with moose piss.

Secondly- if you're going to filter it (an optional extra, seeing as most scrumpy drinkers like it murky) try filtering a batch through packed hay. Again, this is a traditional filtration method and it adds a (not unpleasant) "agricultural" taste to the batch.

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-07-2005, 10:25:30
[B]This is a carboy:

You can store it in one of those too, but it'll keep longer in the can.

MDA
01-07-2005, 11:41:11
This is awesome - blog it and we can post it with Keggerlord's article, wherever that may be.

The Norks
01-07-2005, 12:27:33
why do I think oerdin is going to end up with jars full of rotting beef in apple juice?

as for the spare apples- you're an american! make apple pie!

fp
01-07-2005, 12:37:36
The opening post still makes me laugh out loud whenever I read it. :lol:

Provost Harrison
01-07-2005, 12:43:56
I like Laz's cider fact of the day :D

Lurker the Second
01-07-2005, 13:06:02
Good thread. Stupid Oerdin.

Venom
01-07-2005, 13:07:16
Fascinating. And stupid at the same time. Well done Oerdin.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
01-07-2005, 18:13:12
CG in a nutshell.

Cruddy
01-07-2005, 19:25:17
Originally posted by Oerdin
So I've been intrigued by Laz's posts about English scumpy so I decided to follow the directions HERE (http://www.devon-calling.com/food%20and%20drink/cider.htm) and make my own. The problem is I just sort of skimmed the directions then went out and bought the ingredients. I saw the "one gallon of 70 degree water" and I thought that meant the directions made 1 gallon of scrumpy. Since I have a 6 gallon carboy for brewing I decided to multiply everything by six.

I didn't want to fill the carboy all the way up so I decided to times the recipe by five. For the math challenged, like me, that means instead of 12 lbs of apples I bought 60 frigging pound of apples, 2.5 lbs of raisins, and 2.5 lbs of ground raw beef.

It turns out the original recipe makes right around five gallons of scrumpy. WTF am I going to do with all those fucking left over apples? I guess I could make more cider though I'd need to buy more carboys and fermintation locks which I'd never use again. There is also the fact that I'm not sure what I would do with 25 gallons of scrumpy nor where I will be storing said 25 gallons of scrumpy for the next year. I was planning on putting it in the closet but I'm not sure the closet is big enough for all that frigging cider. :bash:

Well, it could have gone worse... had I made a similar blunder I would have just upped the volume of containers and vessels and brewed the lot.

Which would probably have yieled me 25 gallons of moose piss.

At least you've saved yourself the luxury of a few attempts to get it right.

So long as your pack the unused ingredients well, they'll keep. Use traditional packaging (paper and cardboard) and keep them dry, cool and sterile, they'll be fine.

Eat the beef and freeze any you don't eat.

Oerdin
01-07-2005, 21:55:01
OK, here is the update. I decided I need professional help so I went down to my friendly neighborhood brewer's supply store at American Home Brewing Supply (http://www.redkart.com/ahbs/) in order to get some idea of how to brew quality cider. The owner is a crusty old man in his early 60's who has an encyclopedic knowledge of all things alcoholic and he had a good laugh at the idea of putting in raw meat. He told me that back before people had figured out that yeast were the microbes responsible for making alcohol that people would toss all sorts of stuff into their brews in order to try to get fermintation started though it often resulted in crap which was barely drinkable. He told me the Raisins were added back in the old days since they were often covered in wild yeast cells while the meat was thought to help. The truth is the meat just brought in a ton of outside bacteria and ended up fouling stuff up unless you aged it for a good long time to get rid of the off tastes.

The long story is that he gave me a couple of recipes, some new fermination containers, more champagne yeast, and some campden tablets to make a more traditional cider. Campden tablets fill the brew with hydrogensulfid which kills off all the wild yeasts & bacteria then you wait a day and pitch in the champagne yeast.

With my first batch I followed the directions exactly adding in the apple seeds, skins, raw meat, and raisins then tossing in wet (live) champagne yeast and putting the fermintation lock on it. It has only been a day but that stuff is already bubbling a fizzing away. I'm almost scared to think of what bacteria the raw meat has added in there but this will be my batch of traditional English Scrumpy. I plan on keeping it in the carboy for 10 days before moving it to a secondary fermintation carboy for another 10 days before I bottle it. Those bottles will be aged in the back of the closet for 1 year.

The next batch will be made the same except sans raw meat and I will first use the campden tablets to kill any wild organisms before I add in the champagne yeast. The third batch will be the same but minus pipes (seeds) while the fourth will have skinned and cored apples used.

I'm hoping to see how these little changes end up changing the taste of the finished product. I think I'm going to be spending most of this weekend chopping and pureeing apples but the pay off a year from now should be good. :beer:

Oerdin
01-07-2005, 21:57:52
BTW these are traditional glass beer brewing carboys. The fermintation lock in on the top of them and it is designed to let excess CO2 blow off without letting outside air into the fermenting brew.

Edit: The img tags arent' working for just go HERE (http://hbd.org/carboy/) to see the picture.

Venom
01-07-2005, 22:06:18
Yes. It's the image tags that aren't working.

Chris
01-07-2005, 22:14:25
http://hbd.org/carboy/images/carboys.gif

Chris
01-07-2005, 22:15:26
You were writing the tags wrong, for images, you go [img] <--

NOT [img=

Gary
01-07-2005, 22:28:00
Yes you can sterilise it and add the lab breed yeast, but that's hardly "traditional".

I think you should have at least one batch with the raisins.

Still it should go well, best of luck with it.

Venom
01-07-2005, 22:32:59
Still...HARR! Nice one Gary.

Oerdin
01-07-2005, 23:26:49
OK, new update. I have finished the second batch and I've made it exactly like the first batch (raw meat and all) except I made use of the campden tablets. The tablets will sit in their for for a day then I will try to air it out and get rid of the hydrogen sulfide then pitch the campagne yeast.

The first one was done the traditional way and it is bubbling like mad. I can already tell that transfering it to the secondary fermentation carboy will not be easy as there is a huge amount of crushed up fruit in the bottle which must be pressed to get all the juice out of it. I'm beginning to think Laz's idea about the hay might be a good one for the traditional batch of scrumpy.

I'm about to start on the third batch and this will be the one without the raw meat in it but I will use the raisins. From now on I will be using the campden tablets and only the first one shall be "au naturale" with all the wild crud in it. Still, I think the first batch will be the one I'm most interested in trying.

Oerdin
01-07-2005, 23:32:02
Originally posted by Gary
Yes you can sterilise it and add the lab breed yeast, but that's hardly "traditional".

I think you should have at least one batch with the raisins.

The both the apples and the raisins should have all sorts of microbes on them even though I washed them in iodine water. The raw meat no doubt has still more in it so the first batch should be fairly traditional even though I used wet champagne yeast (meaning live instead of dormant dry yeast). I wanted the brewing yeast to have a head start over the wild yeast and bacteria but the wild stuff is still in that batch. It should be interesting to see how it turns out compared to the other stuff.

Oerdin
01-07-2005, 23:49:56
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!

The first one just went pop. I knew the pressure was building up since it was bubbling all the time but I thought the fermintation lock would be enough to keep it from blowing it's top. Boy was I wrong.

I was in my room talking on the phone when I heard a big "POP" sound and I ran to go look. I found the fermintation lock had totally blown off the carboy and there was pureed apple and raw meat every where! I'm not joking; there was shit all over the ceiling, the walls, the furniture, and the carpet. When I got there the stuff was still bubbling out and piling up on the floor next to it.

Shit this is a mess. :(

Provost Harrison
02-07-2005, 00:04:52

fp
02-07-2005, 00:48:51
:lol: and :(

self biased
02-07-2005, 02:17:44
:points and laughs:

protein
02-07-2005, 02:21:12
I've heard the urban myth about rats and beef. I've never heard of anyone actually doing it.

Let us know when you end up in hospital.

Gary
02-07-2005, 07:06:57
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I've occasionally had demijohns of wine pop the cork/lock on me, but not often. (Which reminds me, I must get back to making wine again sometime.)

So, a bit vigorous, your fermentation then ? Sounds like them apples had a load of sugar.

Never done cider, but have brewed beer. The stuff was done in a tub though, so narrow air escapes didn't cause problems. Thinking about it, maybe cider ought to be done the same, at least during the initial stage.

Funko
02-07-2005, 14:22:45

Sorry Oerdin but :lol:

I hope some of the batches don't explode!

mr.G
02-07-2005, 15:18:01
TOP OF THE POPS

Oerdin
02-07-2005, 16:44:58
The other batches I am doing in buckets that have gaskets and locking tops. I've drilled a small hole in the top just big enough for the air lock and I've used a bit of rubber tube as a gasket for the air lock. These things will hopefully not blow off during the intial stages and then I will later transfer the cider into carboys for secondary fermintation after they've calmed down a bit.

The Norks
02-07-2005, 16:59:07
BEST.THREAD.EVER

MOBIUS
02-07-2005, 17:25:53
Damn! I was going to say that!

Oerdin for poster of the year!:beer:

Tizzy
02-07-2005, 18:07:35
I can't decide if it'll be hilarious or tragic if the others do explode.

MOBIUS
02-07-2005, 18:16:59
A hilarious tragedy?

Oerdin as the inaugural inductee into the CG Hall of Fame?

Oerdin
02-07-2005, 22:02:03
The last batch has been completed. I must have used to many apples in the other batches because I came up short on apples thus I went to the store and I bought four cans of apple juice concentrate along with two large jars of apple sauce. I also had a bunch of raisins left over so I pureed them and tossed them in as well. I'm not really sure how that will effect the final product but I thought it couldn't hurt.

The store bought stuff had a lot of corn syrup added so I expect this stuff to be stronger then the others. It will probably also be less complex and tasty but at least it will have more kick. I didn't use raw meat in the last few batches though I did use the campden tablets so these ones won't need as much time to age.

I plan on aging all of them for the same one year though just so I have an equal base of comparision. I've taken a look at the closet in the spare room and since it is extra deep it should have enough room for the boxes of cider. I'm going to bottle each of them in 22 fl oz bottles after the secondary fermintation is finished. That means I will have to buy a few more carboys and fermintation locks but, what the hell, it's for a good cause.

The Norks
02-07-2005, 23:21:53
Does the phrase 'quit while you're behind' mean nothing to you Apple Jack? :D

Oerdin
03-07-2005, 08:59:18
There has been a few hick ups but I am refining the system. ;)

Provost Harrison
03-07-2005, 10:47:30
hick ups? :lol:

Lazarus and the Gimp
03-07-2005, 18:17:52
Oerdin- the meat isn't meant to add anything to the fermentation process. It's purely done to add colour and flavour.

Anyway, a few decent explosions are just the signs of a promising batch.

Oerdin
03-07-2005, 21:13:34
Thankfully there have been no additional explosions. The fist one is still busy bubbling away but enough of the brew was ejected during the eruption that there is no danger of the air lock becoming blocked again. I stirred up the other batches to get rid of the hydrogen sulfide gas then I put in a bit of yeast nutrient and the champagne yeast. Those batches are looking very good, even the ones which I put the raw meat into.

Now I'm going to let them sit for 10 days or so then I have another choice. Do I decant the liquid into a secondary fermentation carboy or do I leave them in the original container so that they remain in contact with the skins, seeds, and rotting meat? If I filter and transfer then I will take away the potential flavors the skins, seeds, and meat provide but maybe that is a good thing. I'm not sure how to proceed.

Provost Harrison
03-07-2005, 21:36:41
It all sounds a bit too gory for my tastes I'm afraid ;)

Lazarus and the Gimp
03-07-2005, 22:11:39
Now I'm going to let them sit for 10 days or so then I have another choice. Do I decant the liquid into a secondary fermentation carboy or do I leave them in the original container so that they remain in contact with the skins, seeds, and rotting meat? If I filter and transfer then I will take away the potential flavors the skins, seeds, and meat provide but maybe that is a good thing. I'm not sure how to proceed.

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!

The Norks
03-07-2005, 23:56:48
it sounds like something Jeffrey Darmer would do (is that how you spell his name?)

self biased
04-07-2005, 06:03:51
dahmer, i believe.

Gary
04-07-2005, 08:42:46
Whoever he might be.

fp
04-07-2005, 12:28:42
Serial killer and cannibal, I believe.

Oerdin
04-07-2005, 19:13:16
Yes, he especially loved rapping women then eatting them. Everyone said he was such a nice boy until they found out about his little hobbies.

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-07-2005, 20:52:18
Actually it was men he raped and killed.

Provost Harrison
04-07-2005, 21:01:50
Yes, he especially loved rapping women then eatting them. Everyone said he was such a nice boy until they found out about his little hobbies.

Yeah, his penchant for bone bleaching should set alarm bells ringing ;)

Oerdin
05-07-2005, 03:17:08
Back on topic, the last few batches don't seem to be bubbling like the first one. I used to campden tablets so maybe that is the reason nothing is growing in those buckets though I did try to stir them up & airate them extra well before I put the champagne yeast in. After how vigorous the first batch was I was expecting these batches to be the same but now I'm wondering how to unstall this fermintation without contaminating the batches.

MDA
05-07-2005, 11:54:02
I had no idea that guy was a rapper.

Good luck with the sulfites, I never knew how or why those got into my Mad Dog in college.

JM^3
05-07-2005, 11:54:54
I think they are in bad wine also...

JM

The Higgelhoff
05-07-2005, 11:55:08
Yeah, all this talk about his batches. *PHD

MDA
05-07-2005, 11:58:07
Jon, are you saying Mad Dog isn't bad wine? :)

BigGameHunter
06-07-2005, 03:43:31
It's not bad...just misguided.

I've been wanting to brew something for years...cider, beer, vodka, whatever.

What are the basic supplies and what's a good first attempt? I'm not interested in Laz's Salmonella Surprise right off the bat.

I have a 5 gallon glass lab bottle (unused) in my garage I've been dying to grow something in.

JM^3
06-07-2005, 08:25:08
Originally posted by MDA
Jon, are you saying Mad Dog isn't bad wine? :)

having never had mad dog, I Dont' know what it is

JM

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-07-2005, 09:16:06
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
It's not bad...just misguided.

I've been wanting to brew something for years...cider, beer, vodka, whatever.

What are the basic supplies and what's a good first attempt? I'm not interested in Laz's Salmonella Surprise right off the bat.

I have a 5 gallon glass lab bottle (unused) in my garage I've been dying to grow something in.

Just follow the scrumpy recipe, but leave out the meat if you're going to be a big poof about it.

BigGameHunter
07-07-2005, 00:42:45
I've got enough mice running around here--I think we'll see if one can get itself in there for historical accuracy's sake. Or maybe one of the kids...I could call it Tottering Toddler Scrumpy.

MDA
07-07-2005, 03:30:05
Originally posted by JM^3
having never had mad dog, I Dont' know what it is

JM

What, did you go to a fancy ivy league university or something? :)

It's cheap wine, like Boone's makes, only much, much worse.

Drekkus
07-07-2005, 09:13:25
:lol: @ oerdin. Great stuff.

Oerdin
11-07-2005, 12:32:59
Latest update: The fermination has slowed down to a crawl judging by the bubbles coming out of the air lock. I'm supposed to let it sit another three days then transfer the liquid into new carboys and discard the solids. Speaking of solids most of the apple bits have stopped floating and have sunk down to the bottom though most of the meat has turned a dark brown color and is still floating.

I have two five gallon water jugs in the garage so I think what I will do is transfer the cider into them, clean out the old carboys, then transfer the cider back to the (now clean) carboys. Doing this will be labor intensive but it will save me $60 on new carboys. I've been reading up on cider brewing and I think I might put in a bit of sugar and more yeast to kick start the second round of fermination though just leaving it alone would also work (abeit more slowly).

Provost Harrison
11-07-2005, 13:06:21
Oh God no, not more fermentable substances...you are going to take out a whole city at this rate, and then leave nothing but burning alcohol...

Oerdin
13-07-2005, 22:03:04
Today is the day. I have a bit of rubber tubbing and two spare five gallon jugs. My plan is to drain off the liquids then just dispose of the apple & meat bits down the garbage disposal. Speaking of meat bits they're looking thoroughly nasty with a puffy brown black appearance and 2/3 to 3/4 of the meat bits have stopped floating and have sunk to the bottom.

The idea is that I transfer the liquid to the holding judges, clean out the carboys, then transfer back to the carboy. If all goes well then the secondary fermintation should start tonight. I'm thinking about adding in a bit of sugar and some more yeast to kick things off right though that may mean I'll have to let the batches rest a bit longer before bottling. Other wise I risk having bottles pop.

The other option is using a clarifying agent like Irish Moss. The fellow at the brewing supply place recommended it so as to make it clearer faster but I'm thinking I'll go the traditional way and skip the Irish Moss. Well, I'm off to buy some more yeast. Expect a report this evening.

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-07-2005, 22:33:27
Round this way "Irish moss" is a cocktail of Guinness and condensed milk.

Gary
13-07-2005, 22:43:02
:vom:

The Norks
13-07-2005, 22:48:01
oerdin are you really going to drink this stuff?

Oerdin
13-07-2005, 23:15:12
Yes, oh, yes.

Oerdin
13-07-2005, 23:17:18
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Round this way "Irish moss" is a cocktail of Guinness and condensed milk.

http://www.thehomebrewstore.com/HTMLCatalog/irish-moss-powder.htm

The Norks
13-07-2005, 23:34:41
Yes, oh, yes.

class! :beer:

can we expect some before and after photos?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
13-07-2005, 23:42:35
You'll have to contact the coroner for the afters.

Oerdin
14-07-2005, 00:25:56
The good news is that both alcohol and carbonation kill bacteria. The one year of aging should help mellow out any funk which the raw meat caused leaving just the smooth natural tastes.

That's my hope anyway. :nervous:

The Norks
14-07-2005, 00:34:04
lol, or..... it might taste like horse piss ;)

Oerdin
14-07-2005, 03:10:19
I think that's why I'm going to combine the four batches into two batches; one with meat and one without. Atleast then half of it will still be good no matter what while the other half will remain traditional. I was considering blending all of it together at the end in order to make a consistantly tasting beverage but I was afriad it might be consistantly bad. ;)

The filtering process is going much slower then I thought. The syphon keeps getting clogged by bits of apple so I resorted to pouring it through a strainer. That risks introducing outside bacteria but there is just to much crud to do other wise. I've taken a cooking strainer and I've lined it with paper towels which I use like a coffee filter. This is a very slow process and it envolves me having to lift 6 gal carboys over and over again. Those things are heavy. :(

The Norks
14-07-2005, 03:15:24
somebody send the boy a crate of bloody scrumpy!!! :D

Oerdin
14-07-2005, 05:13:27
I have lots of scumpy in the making. Thank you. ;)

Funko
14-07-2005, 09:23:19
All this stuff is the fun part. The fact it's hard work just makes it better. :)

This thread makes me want to make cider.

mr.G
14-07-2005, 09:24:38
This thread makes me want to blow things up.

like seagulls or frogs.

Nills Lagerbaak
14-07-2005, 09:36:56
As it's scrumpy season in the wonderful west country the weathspoon pubs are selling a litre flagon of 8% rocket fuel for £3.00. I mean that is a bargain. You know where all the tramps are now...

Still I want to make my own. I might start growing some weed again, but I won't bother trying to cultivate shrooms, that has to be one of the hardest things to grow.

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-07-2005, 17:47:01
They grow in the kids playground just round the corner from my house.

Oerdin
14-07-2005, 18:08:05
Just use sterilized cow shit to grow your shrooms and keep it in a cool dark place. The shrooms will do the rest.

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-07-2005, 18:12:00
Sterilised cow shit? Has the scrumpy experience taght you nothing?

Oerdin
14-07-2005, 18:14:05
It's taught me how to clean apples and raw meat off of my ceiling. ;)

fp
14-07-2005, 18:17:01
Oooh, sneaky edit there. I thought the first version of that post was more interesting Oerdin. ;)

The Higgelhoff
14-07-2005, 18:31:29
I don't like the idea of raw meat being used. It just sounds.... wrong.

Oerdin
14-07-2005, 19:57:24
It certainly smells like something is slightly off at this point but supposedly aging will cure this.

Oerdin
11-08-2005, 23:31:58
Well, here's another update. I went and put it into a secondary ferminatation about 2-3 weeks ago and forgot about it. I was only supposed to leave it for 5-10 days but the airlock was still in place so I decided to bottle it anyway. I filtered and mixed the batches when I put them into the secondary firmentors and I mixed them again when I bottled them so the taste should be very consistant. I just hope it isn't consistantly bad.

Speaking of which the batch had a strong bacterial smell so I'm hoping there isn't ecoli bacteria in it. I put in a large dose of priming sugar so hopefully the carbonation will kill any bacteria found in the bottles and aging will smooth out the rough edges.

I'm just a bit concerned though since there have been cases of ecoli found in cider before. I imagine putting ra meat into the batch greatly expands the possibility of that happening.

Gary
12-08-2005, 07:58:43
Boil it, that'll kill all the germs :)

Funko
12-08-2005, 09:24:22
The alcohol should help kill the bacteria too.

Oerdin
12-08-2005, 10:11:14
I'm afraid to boil it because I'm afraid it will change the taste. I'm hoping a combination of alcohol, carbonation, and UV light (if I leave it out in the sun) will kill the critters. To late to boil anyway since I already bottled it.

Funko
12-08-2005, 10:11:35
So when is it ready for drinking?

Gary
12-08-2005, 10:14:14
Next year, or the earliest CG get-together near Oerdin, whichever comes first ;).

protein
12-08-2005, 10:38:31
If you know anyone who works in a bio lab it will only take them a day or so to check it out. It might be worth doing.

Provost Harrison
12-08-2005, 11:02:39
Yes, well I don't think I will be partaking in this lethal bacterial cocktail thank you very much :p

Oerdin
12-08-2005, 11:45:29
Originally posted by Funko
So when is it ready for drinking?

One year from now if the directions are to be believed. The stuff smelt like rotting meat so I believe them.

Provost Harrison
12-08-2005, 11:46:43
Oerdin, just one point though: the word is spelt fermentation. Commit to memory ;)

Oerdin
12-08-2005, 11:47:56
Bitch, bitch, bitch...

Provost Harrison
12-08-2005, 11:48:31
Just that I've seen every conceivable spelling of the word but the correct one :p

The Norks
12-08-2005, 14:57:00
This thread is classic

I love you Oerdin

be my wife!

:love:

Oerdin
12-08-2005, 18:08:13
Originally posted by The Norks
This thread is classic

I love you Oerdin

be my wife!

:love:

Any time, baby. ;)

Gary: I've been doing some online research about pastuerization. It appears mass market cider makers use a process called "flash pastuerization" in order to kill most of the bacteria without changing the finished product the way boiling does. Supposedly at 175 degrees the pectin in the cider coagulates forming a jelly like substance; cider makers want to avoid that because it changes the taste and "mouth feel" of the finished product. However, if you heat it to 160 degrees for 6 seconds then you'll kill 99% of the bacteria without causing the pectin to gum up.

http://www.windyhillorchard.com/everythingapples/article.htm

I'm still not sure if the carbonation will kill ecoli or not.

Japher
12-08-2005, 18:11:08
HTST (high temp. short time) is like that flash sterilization and is used in the processing of biologics in which you don't want "deactivate" the protein.

Gary
12-08-2005, 18:15:56
It should be fine, but it's all an experiment.
Thing to do is send a bottle to Norks first and ask how she liked it :D

Japher
12-08-2005, 18:19:19
I haven't read this thread - FACT!

Spartak
12-08-2005, 18:39:44
Best thread Evah - Factoid

Japher
12-08-2005, 19:01:15
because I haven't read it...

Caligastia
12-08-2005, 20:04:18
This thread is hilarious...go Oerdin!!!

Oerdin
13-08-2005, 21:12:20
FYI after I filtered it the 25 gals became about 15 gals just be removing all the pureed apple and raw meat from the mix. I put them into three six gal carboys for the secondary firmentation and to top them off I split a two gallon bottle of pure apple juice so the final mix was between 17-18 gallons. I left it in the secondary for two long but the extra time allowed the yeast to go inactive and sink to the bottom. Finally I filtered it again, mixed all three containers together and then bottled the final product.

I think it will be a good batch though the aroma certainly smelled a bit "off". The recipe said this would happen due to the raw meat and that aging would clear that up. I remain very hopeful that one year from now this stuff will be liquid gold.

self biased
14-08-2005, 01:53:38
CG meet at oerdin's place next year.

Spartak
14-08-2005, 10:02:26
And the local emergency room about an hour later.

devilmunchkin
14-08-2005, 10:26:00
i guess i'll be driving those two to the hospital then..i no longer drink :/

The Norks
14-08-2005, 18:57:20
Any time, baby. ;)

I'm still not sure if the carbonation will kill ecoli or not.

Yaaay! We're engaged!

How sad it would be if Oerdin survived Iraq just to self poison himself with Ecoli, yet what a superb ending!

Keep this thread alive!!

Provost Harrison
14-08-2005, 19:30:27
Put bleach in it. That'll kill the E.coli!

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-08-2005, 19:39:04
Bugger off. No mixers with scrumpy.

The Norks
14-08-2005, 20:05:26
it might be safer drinking bleach

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-08-2005, 20:12:00
Nobody ever drank scrumpy as a move towards making themself safer and healthier.

The Norks
14-08-2005, 20:13:59
still, if we apply the Darwin test- would you be considered more dumb if you died drinking bleach (of which you presumably know the suicidal component parts) or Oerdin's scrumpy (of which no one knows the magical horrors)?

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-08-2005, 20:17:15
Died? This is scrumpy, not curare. Sure, you might get the odd bad experience, but we're not talking death.

OK- blindness and insanity is a real risk, if you leave crushed pips in. But that takes years to develop.

Oerdin
14-08-2005, 20:18:00
That's what makes it so fun.

The Norks
14-08-2005, 20:23:38
ecoli doesnt equal death?

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-08-2005, 20:29:36
Not in most cases, no.

The Norks
14-08-2005, 20:45:54

Provost Harrison
14-08-2005, 21:17:45
Depends on the strain. Your digestive system is full of e. coli...it's not very specific...

The Norks
14-08-2005, 22:51:52
the dirty killing kind.

Oerdin
15-08-2005, 02:16:10
I did leave the pips in and I do know the commercial cideries never put the pips in because they contain small quantities of cyanide and other bad things. The quantities are tiny but it is there.

The Norks
15-08-2005, 02:34:32
jesus christ. Ecoli and cyanide- Cali look out.

Greg W
15-08-2005, 02:52:08
I think I shall point this thread out the government, just so that if Oerdin ever tries to come to Australia, we can kick him out before he gets in. Talk about WMD! :nervous:

Oerdin
15-08-2005, 03:22:28
Like Laz said you'd have to drink huge quantities of it for years before dementia would kick in. ;)

The Norks
15-08-2005, 03:32:27
just keep telling yourself that ;)

Greg W
15-08-2005, 03:52:56
He's just not telling us that he's been drinking huge quantities of it for years...

MDA
15-08-2005, 11:49:47
How well did you wash the apples? - sometimes they'll get soil bacteria on them (they're not supposed to "harvest" from the ground, but it happens). That could be bad.

Then again, the E. coli could probably outcompete them in apple juice.

The Norks
15-08-2005, 13:17:44
lol excellent so it could have some anthrax too :lol: this just keeps getting better.

Funko
15-08-2005, 13:19:58
I want to try it.

Oerdin
15-08-2005, 17:38:26
When the time is right I will mail bottles to people. I expect it to be quite good though it will be drink at your own risk. ;)

Lurker the Second
15-08-2005, 18:28:08
lol, you better check with the postal authorities before putting that stuff in the mail. The Homeland Security Act is not something you want to fool with.

Japher
15-08-2005, 18:42:32
Yaaay! Send me some!

The Norks
15-08-2005, 20:49:45
Originally posted by Lurker the Second
lol, you better check with the postal authorities before putting that stuff in the mail. The Homeland Security Act is not something you want to fool with.

because thats the danger here
:clueless:

Lurker the Second
15-08-2005, 21:12:53
Only from Oerdin's perspective. You know, it's never the drunk driver who causes the accident that gets killed......

Japher
15-08-2005, 21:18:35
that's because when you are drunk you are more limber and have a lower blood oxygen level so you need to bleed more to die.

MDA
15-08-2005, 22:12:45
I can here the postal worker now. "WHAT! Its got batteria in it?! Anthrax is batteria!"

Oerdin
15-08-2005, 23:34:06
18 gals = a lot of bottling. :(

It's good to have it all done now though. I have the bottles packed into their original boxs with "Do not open until September, 2006" written on the side. :)

I can't wait.

The Norks
16-08-2005, 00:32:47
neither can I, I have a sink that needs unblocking.

Oerdin
16-08-2005, 00:50:02
Har Har Har.

The worst part is they ripe you off to buy the bottles. I wish I'd been saving beer bottles because I hate having to pay 75% the price of buying beer at the store for empty bottles.

Still, at least I can reuse them again in the future.

Gary
16-08-2005, 08:16:15
Actually all that tells you is how little a brewer really gets for their work of art.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
16-08-2005, 22:21:01
Har Har Har.

The worst part is they ripe you off to buy the bottles. I wish I'd been saving beer bottles because I hate having to pay 75% the price of buying beer at the store for empty bottles.

Still, at least I can reuse them again in the future.

So why didn't you pay 100% for beer-filled bottles and drink the beer? Or, if 18 gallons of beer is too much for you, I'm sure there are plenty of vagrants and hobos with whom you could have shared it. And you'd have made new friends into the bargain!

Caligastia
16-08-2005, 22:45:52
How many bottles did you end up filling Oerdin?

Oerdin
17-08-2005, 03:56:57
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
So why didn't you pay 100% for beer-filled bottles and drink the beer? Or, if 18 gallons of beer is too much for you, I'm sure there are plenty of vagrants and hobos with whom you could have shared it. And you'd have made new friends into the bargain!

Like I'd share my beer with Lurker. ;)

Oerdin
17-08-2005, 03:57:27
Originally posted by Caligastia
How many bottles did you end up filling Oerdin?

About 8 dozen 22 oz bottles.

Oerdin
17-08-2005, 04:05:55
The ten pound poms must have tiny balls or else they'd be eleven pound poms.

Caligastia
17-08-2005, 21:19:38

You'd better like it, that's all I can say...

Provost Harrison
17-08-2005, 22:18:22

Erm...96 bottles? What's wrong with the decimal numeric system? :p

Oerdin
18-08-2005, 08:36:55
They sell the bottles in packs of a dozen so it is easier for me to just say how many dozens. ;)

Gary
18-08-2005, 09:18:05
Besides, try dividing ten bottles into 4.

Batch 1. Apple seeds, skins, raw meat, raisins, wet champagne yeast

Batch 2. Sans raw meat, use campden tablets to kill any wild organisms before adding the champagne yeast.

Batch 3. Minus pips

Batch 4. Skinned and cored apples used.

:p

Lazarus and the Gimp
18-08-2005, 09:28:52
Batch 1 being the hardcore version, eh?

Oerdin
18-08-2005, 09:36:01
Yeah, but in the end I mixed all for batches together to give everything a common flavor. I used raw meat in the first two but not in the last two while the pips stayed in all of them but the last one.

When I was bottling it certainly smelled like something died in it so I have high hopes. ;)

Oerdin
16-09-2005, 09:01:33
OK, here's a new update. I went into the closet and decided to check on things after one month of aging. Sfter 1/12 the aging process the bottling yeast used to add carbonation have all gone inactive and sank to the bottom of the bottles. This has left about 2mm of fine yeast at the bottom. I suppose I might have used to much yeast but I figured since bacterial contamination was a worry it was better to put excess yeast in there to out compete the bacteria.

Holding the bottles up to the light I can see that it has clarified considerably though it remains some what cloudy. Again this is exactly according to the recipe. The only large solids which seemed to pass through the two filtration processes was the yeast (which has naturally sank to the bottom) and the pectin in the cider. The pectin can supposedly remain in suspension for months so it will a while before it reaches the gold green color from the pictures in the recipe given in the original post. Still everything appears to be going according to plan.

I placed the boxes back into the closet under my stairway. I origninally was going to put them in the spare room's closet but I decided to put some boxes of old toys and crap I picked up from my parent's house in there instead. Now the dark spot under the stairs works just fine for them. I'll wait until we are half way through with the aging process, 1 March 2006, and then I will give another update. If things look promising I may even give a half time report on the scrumpy. That should tell us if there is ecoli in there or not.

Gary
16-09-2005, 09:18:11
Ah the monthly update :D

Not sure this is worth anything but, in my limited experience (mainly wine making and a little beer brewing) it is a mistake to let the brew sit on the dead yeast for any length of time. Imparts flavours you'd rather not have.

Ruined a couple of wine batches like that, until I learnt better.

MDA
16-09-2005, 12:58:00
trying to outcompete bacteria at the bottling stage doesn't sound like it would work

Venom
16-09-2005, 13:22:53
Oerdin's Scrumpy sounds like it's going to be shit.

Lurker the Second
16-09-2005, 15:05:11
I'm rooting hard for the e-coli.

Funko
16-09-2005, 15:06:47
E-CO-LI, E-CO-LI, E-CO-LI
E-CO-LI, E-CO-LI, E-CO-LI-I
E-CO-LI, E-CO-LI, E-CO-LI
E-CO-LI-I, E-CO-LI

Venom
16-09-2005, 15:11:19
The Scrumpy's shit, and it knows it is

Oerdin
16-09-2005, 18:48:27
We shall see. 11 months left and counting down.

mr.G
05-12-2005, 11:00:59
update !!!!!!

BigGameHunter
05-12-2005, 11:10:20
uh...still fermenting, probably.

Kitsuki
05-12-2005, 12:05:24
11 months of rotting meat in the backyard?

Boy, I wish I was your neighbour! ;)

mr.G
05-12-2005, 12:06:41
I have some eldery ppl living next to me, same thing.

Japher
05-12-2005, 14:17:55
through some yeast on them

Japher
05-12-2005, 14:19:10
I meant throw

throw some yest on them

Monday

mr.G
05-12-2005, 14:24:54
so tell me Japher, how long does it take to get rid of the sound of a bleeeerring baby when you just enter the office?

Japher
05-12-2005, 14:27:49
It never stops as I have a baby/coworker at work too

first thing this morning she goes into a whole cherade how she is tied in the office football pool, with tonight's game's score determining the outcome. She had to be explained how the over/under works.... AGAIN

SUDDUP VOICES!

mr.G
05-12-2005, 14:28:43

Tizzy
05-12-2005, 14:33:31
Your cowie sounds like annoying newbie.
Every time he opens his mouth I want to rip my own ears off so I don't have to hear him any more.

Japher
05-12-2005, 14:35:55
Mary, my "cowie", has been here longer than anyone in our office area except the boss. She is, however, the only one to not receive a promotion, except me as I have only been here for 4 months.

Oerdin
05-12-2005, 16:44:41
I should probably check up on this stuff. It has been four months and only 8 to go.

Lazarus and the Gimp
05-12-2005, 19:25:57
If you didn't lock the cupboard door, it's probably escaped by now.

Japher
05-12-2005, 19:28:29
it probably stole your registration

Oerdin
06-12-2005, 16:07:23
I think I will open up a bottle on new year's eve just to see how things are going. It's only a 1/3 the way done with the aging process so I don't expect it to be good yet but it might provide some incite.

KrazyHorse
06-12-2005, 17:05:49
To riot?

MDA
06-12-2005, 18:08:51
To poop.

mr.G
06-12-2005, 18:32:57
or not to poop that's the question!!

Japher
06-12-2005, 19:17:00
sometimes you don't get to awnser that question

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-12-2005, 19:40:49
I think I will open up a bottle on new year's eve just to see how things are going. It's only a 1/3 the way done with the aging process so I don't expect it to be good yet but it might provide some incite.

Oh God. An under-ripe scrumpy is bad news. It'll taste like a petrol-drinker's piss.

Fistandantilus
18-01-2006, 23:01:57
I think I will open up a bottle on new year's eve

We need an update!

HelloKitty
19-01-2006, 00:41:12
His funeral was on the 3rd. Thanks for sending flowers fistandantilus.

Oerdin
19-01-2006, 03:57:20
I decided to heed Laz's warning and not to taste the scrumpy until its proper time had come.

HelloKitty
19-01-2006, 04:36:17
ACK!!! A GHOST!!!!

Funko
19-01-2006, 08:51:42
Very wise Oerdin. :beer:

Nills Lagerbaak
19-01-2006, 09:09:32
Since when have cider brewers been "wise?". Unless you taste it when there is a real chance of poisoning, your cider will turn out clear, sweet and weak.

mr_G
23-03-2006, 22:46:31
bump

Oerdin
23-03-2006, 22:51:48
Just FYI, I turned the bottle on their side last weekend since I've been told that is a key part to aging any alcohol. Nills, the alcohol doesn't break down over time does it so why would it get weak? I used champagne yeast (well, on the second round I also used bread yeast since I ran out of champagne yeast) so the alcohol content should be in the 12%-15% range much like a good champagne provided there was enough sugar and nutrients to keep the yeast growing until the alcohol content killed them.

Lastly, I've packed five 22oz bottles of the stuff into my bag and will give them away to anyone who wants them at the NYC meet. I suggest not even thinking about trying them until December since that would be 1 year since bottling.

shagnasty
24-03-2006, 08:47:24
that'll be fun then. getting that lot through customs i mean.

MDA
24-03-2006, 12:59:24
well, there's always the odd chance it will explode, be sure to mention that :D

Venom
24-03-2006, 13:13:54
There's no way you're getting through security with 5 bottles of what is sure to look like some chemical agent.

Gary
24-03-2006, 13:19:28
I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that the only reason one moves/turns bottles is to slowly get the yeast deposits onto the cork, so one can remove them and recork. More of a champagne thing though.

That said, a bottle on its side keeps the cork damp, so ought to be a better seal. Maybe that's a good reason to do it.

Venom
24-03-2006, 14:00:37
this is funko but i can't be bothered to log venom out and log myself back in.

Anyway, I was lying in bed this morning thinking of Oerdin and imagining the bottles of scrumpy exploding all over the plane. :lol:

Nills Lagerbaak
24-03-2006, 14:08:19
Sounds to me like a euphamism for having a wet dream.

CAn you please bring me back a bottle!

Venom
24-03-2006, 14:11:05
I am going to have to look very carefully about the customs restrictions. I really don't want to get arrested for bringing back some kind of crazy toxic fruit!

Nills Lagerbaak
24-03-2006, 14:16:17
Just declare it then they either confiscate it or let you take it. You might have cause for concern if it was Australia (who are paranoid about produce contamination) but not here!

Cheers if you can though!

Kitsuki
24-03-2006, 15:12:03
I really want to try this too, haha! :D

Oerdin
29-03-2006, 23:26:38
Well, there are now five bottles out there in circulation. Lurker, KH, and Funko all have one while Self Biased took two. When we get closer to the one year date I will mail a few bottles out to people who are interested though I will make sure to taste test a bottle first to make sure it isn't utter rubbish.

Immortal Wombat
29-03-2006, 23:38:01
self living up to his name there. :beer:

Gary
30-03-2006, 08:18:40
:D Umm... possibly ;)

Ginfizwithatwist
30-03-2006, 09:55:29
This thread is just the tonic on a bad day I LMAO reading about oerdin's escapades! :lol:

I just hope you used sterile bottles when you decanted from the carboys.
Might i suggest a check up with a neurosurgeon in approx 8 years for symptoms relating to Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy ?

Well on that cheery note I hope your scrumpy doesn't taste and smell like sewerage and if it is truly a golden nectar and y'all haven't dropped dead from some unspecified new breed of overwhelming bacteria...... Could you send me a bottle?
:beer: :D

Funkobot
30-03-2006, 10:08:03
Might be rehearsing but I'll try and hook up with you if not. Maybe even go to the Ukranians gig.

Nills Lagerbaak
30-03-2006, 10:37:02
Cool offer. where better to enjoy Oerdin's cider than at a Ukranians gig.

Funkobot
30-03-2006, 11:08:05
Dr. Debaser, you have your computer back where's the update? Your other researchers are lost without your leadership.

Funko
30-03-2006, 15:19:05
Didn't bring the scrumpy back in the end. Which I'm glad about because security was ultra-tight on the way back. And it did basically look like a bottle of Evil...

Nills Lagerbaak
30-03-2006, 15:20:03
Noooooooooo! You bottled out! I said the worst they could have done is confiscate it :-( wuss.

Oerdin
30-03-2006, 15:20:30
I just hope you used sterile bottles when you decanted from the carboys.

I soaked the bottles in a water-bleach mix in my kitchen sink before filling the bottles. That should have killed any critters lurking in the bottles.

Well on that cheery note I hope your scrumpy doesn't taste and smell like sewerage and if it is truly a golden nectar and y'all haven't dropped dead from some unspecified new breed of overwhelming bacteria...... Could you send me a bottle?
:beer: :D

Sure thing. Next November/December I will open one up and if it's good I will mail them out.

Oerdin
30-03-2006, 15:21:37
Didn't bring the scrumpy back in the end. Which I'm glad about because security was ultra-tight on the way back. And it did basically look like a bottle of Evil...

What did you do with my beautiful scumpy?! :gasmaske:

Venom
30-03-2006, 15:29:43
Poured it on a hobo's face just to watch it melt off.

Funko
30-03-2006, 15:53:33
I left it with Lurker to drink.

Fistandantilus
30-03-2006, 15:55:30
Ah, that's why Lurker doesn't post. He's dead forerer.

Venom
30-03-2006, 16:01:22
I left it with Lurker to drink.

That's what I said.

Lurker the Second
30-03-2006, 16:05:26
:lol: at Fist and Venom.

Both bottles are securely stored in a cool dark place. They will stay there until December, at least.

Venom
30-03-2006, 17:51:49
Stored in a place where they will never be distrubed....the washing machine.

Japher
30-03-2006, 18:03:42
or Lurker's underware drawer

Oerdin
12-04-2006, 08:23:12
I'm afraid curiosity got the better of the cat and I tried one of the bottles of scrumpy today. I had gotten off work and was sitting around bored when my eye just happened on a box under the stairs; I originally didn't plan on opening a bottle,thought Iíd just taking a look, but next thing you know I'm putting a bottle in the fridge. I just couldn't help myself.

All in all it isnít bad considering how young the scrumpy is and right now it is entirely drinkable though itís clearly only aged half as much as it needs. As I poured the glass the first thing I noticed was the subdued yet slightly pungent smell which wasn't unpleasant but was... distinct. Back in November when I was bottling it the smell was so strong it was almost over powering but now it was only 1/10 as much so the aging is clearly having the desired effect. Currently the color is a some what cloudy yellowish white but that also was a big improvement over the brownish yellow stuff we started with and looking at the glass the biggest surprise was how effervescent it was. The bubbles were tiny but there were so many of them it was almost like someone had thrown an Alka-Seltzer the glass but this calmed down after a minute or two.

Taking a sip the scrumpy has a tart flavor, not unlike a tart apple, with good mouth feel and a nice dry finish. Swishing the scrumpy around in my mouth there is a whole lot of different tastes in it, not all of them good (there is a vaguely vinegar like taste to it but only slightly), but the balance is promising especially since it didnít taste like a ďgasoline drinkerís pissĒ which Las had said unripe scumpy could taste like. Iím hoping the tartness will fade in time along with some of the more wild off tones but with six months left to go itís definitely tasting better then I expected when I was brewing it. I have high hopes.

Oerdin
12-04-2006, 08:25:08
In other news It has now been 30 minutes since I drank the glass and I have not experienced any ill effects. I will update you all in the moring.

Funko
12-04-2006, 08:27:20
And that was his last ever post...

mr_G
12-04-2006, 08:30:23
I miss him already

JM^3
12-04-2006, 08:49:46
despite you sometimes being an idiot, I will miss you Oerdin... and your posts..

:(

JM

Fistandantilus
12-04-2006, 08:55:37
I hope Lurker reads this thread before it's too late.

Funko
12-04-2006, 09:02:36
Why?

Fistandantilus
12-04-2006, 09:14:34
You already almost poisoned him by giving your bottle, now you want him to drink it? How cruel.

Funko
12-04-2006, 09:18:31
:cute:

He had a bottle of his own anyway.

Nills Lagerbaak
12-04-2006, 09:29:33
Wow! Well doen Oerdin that sounds like a proper job. I'll PM you my address and would be very grateful to recieve such a bottle (thouogh I probably will wait a little longer before enjoying some!)

Funko
12-04-2006, 09:31:34
I wonder if I can get Lurker to post me my bottle. :hmm:

Nills Lagerbaak
12-04-2006, 09:33:58
Oh yeah, I forgot you were too wussy to bring it back! Surely you're too wussy to drink it?

Funko
12-04-2006, 09:44:50
Not at all.

If we hadn't had all our bags searched on the way over I'd have been much less worried about it.

Nills Lagerbaak
12-04-2006, 09:47:41
:rolleyes: You just declare it and if they don't like it they confiscate it. Unless you were worried about wasting it...then that's understandable.