PDA

View Full Version : WOOT!

Oerdin
29-06-2005, 18:29:11
Some of you may recall a while back that the heating furnace in my house burned out and that I had to buy a new one. I had a couple contractors come out to do an estimate and they all wanted between $2500-$2700 to purchase and install a new 50k BTU furnace so I was really put back by the price.

I had tried calling the Home Depot & Lowes (two home improvement warehouse stores) but both of them said legally they could only sell furnaces to "professionals" since they only dealt with whole sale prices. The good news is that my dad runs a property management company on the side so I was able to convince the home depot that I qualified to get the whole sale price. Even better the Home Depot Supply (their whole sale branch) will install the furnace too. So what's the whole sale price of a 45k BTU low NOX furnace with installation? $865 plus tax!

I just saved around $1700 just by shopping around and doing a bit of fast talking. :coolgrin: You just have to love the Home Depot. :bounce:

Lurker the Second
29-06-2005, 18:33:51
Damn, that is pretty good. Beer's on you. :beer:

Dyl Ulenspiegel
29-06-2005, 18:33:56
"legally they could only sell furnaces to "professionals" since they only dealt with whole sale prices."

What's a legal problem there? But getting in on wholesale prices rocks - couple years ago, I saved about 1500 on a new bathroom. Congrats! :beer:

Gary
29-06-2005, 18:35:42
:D Get yourself a company name registered, and a few business cards printed ;)

Oerdin
29-06-2005, 18:43:16
Originally posted by Dyl Ulenspiegel
"legally they could only sell furnaces to "professionals" since they only dealt with whole sale prices."

What's a legal problem there? But getting in on wholesale prices rocks - couple years ago, I saved about 1500 on a new bathroom. Congrats! :beer:

I had spoken to the local Home Depot manager and he had told me they had a noncompete clause with the manufacturers. It seems that the furance and AC makers have licenced dealers just like car companis do which have the legal right to retail in certain areas. The results are sky high prices. Home Depot can sell these furnaces to business costumers (contractors, hotel companies, property management companies, etc) but not to normal retail costumers.

That's why I'm so happy I convinced them I was a business comstumer. The savings were huge. ;)

Cruddy
29-06-2005, 18:58:26
Hmm. Sometimes I think it would be useful to start up a limited company just so I could cash in on such deals.

"Cruddy General Trading Ltd".

Dyl Ulenspiegel
29-06-2005, 19:11:00
Originally posted by Oerdin
they had a noncompete clause with the manufacturers.

Bastards.

Oerdin
30-06-2005, 19:33:05
Well, I got my property tax bill so I guess I know what I'll be spending the savings on.

Cruddy
30-06-2005, 19:35:31
I'd love to find out the shadowy financial reporting system that broadcasts when you have money. :(

So I could visit them, slowly torture all their family members while they watched, then kill them.

Hey, if I got into organlegging, it might just be financially viable...

Oerdin
30-06-2005, 19:37:11
I hear there are lots of Romanians willing to sell a kidney.

MDA
30-06-2005, 21:21:32
Originally posted by Oerdin
Well, I got my property tax bill so I guess I know what I'll be spending the savings on.

The beer is still on you. Nice try though. :)

Oerdin
01-07-2005, 08:12:43
I've got more scrumpy brewing then you can shake a stick at. It will take a year or so to clear up and mature but it should be tasty when it is done.

You folks are welcome to that stuff. ;)