PDA

View Full Version : Disabled Norton Anti-Virus

Lurker the Second
29-06-2005, 14:38:36
Why is that when I disable Norton Anti-virus I keep getting a split-second flash message on the monitor about every 15 seconds? I assume it's Norton related because it has Symantec colors, but it's too fast to even read. That's fucked up.

The Higgelhoff
29-06-2005, 15:35:07
It says on the image, think it's 2005.

Lurker the Second
29-06-2005, 15:52:05
Huh?

protein
29-06-2005, 16:45:16
Maybe there's a virus attacking your antivirus?

MDA
30-06-2005, 12:43:51
Originally posted by The Higgelhoff

You're fired. :)

No idea Lurker

fp
30-06-2005, 12:51:08
Learn to read better.

Cruddy
30-06-2005, 19:41:07
Lurker my new freind, Norton is the devil's work.

Burn it to avoid contagion, then pay for an alternative firewall and nod32 as a virus checker.

The cost compared to the hassle saving is trivial. Expect to change or at least update both AT LEAST once a year and preferably daily.

The trouble with having defences like firewalls, virus checkers and spam washers is that you get noticed and marked down.

It's a bit like havng a burglar alarm - people reckon you've got things to destroy or steal.

EDIT: Envornmentally concious people, aka treehuggers, would find an alternative holistic way to purify the bad spirit contained within the CD and packaging.

Lurker the Second
30-06-2005, 20:53:02
Well, I don't need the firewall any more b/c I just got a wireless Router/Firewall (Netgear - please don't tell me that sucks, too). At least I don't think I still need a software firewall, do I?

Another question: if my wireless connection strenth is showing up as "low", can that affect performance? I've been assuming that as long as there is a connection, whether strong or weak, the date flow will be unaffected.

The Higgelhoff
01-07-2005, 08:03:23
Originally posted by The Higgelhoff

Odd, this was a reply to another thread. :confused:

Sir Penguin
01-07-2005, 14:12:50
It's useful to have a software firewall as well as a hardware firewall. There are some firewall functions, like application control, that are not usually performed by a hardware firewall.

Kerio is a good free firewall, and AVG is a good free virus scanner. You don't have to pay for basic security.

SP

Cruddy
01-07-2005, 17:37:14
Originally posted by Lurker the Second
Well, I don't need the firewall any more b/c I just got a wireless Router/Firewall (Netgear - please don't tell me that sucks, too). At least I don't think I still need a software firewall, do I?

Never used one. Never thought about it. More fool me I guess, but thanks for revealing a complete blind spot.

Originally posted by Lurker the Second

Another question: if my wireless connection strenth is showing up as "low", can that affect performance? I've been assuming that as long as there is a connection, whether strong or weak, the date flow will be unaffected.

That one I do know. If the wireless system handles gigabit but can't get a steady enough connection, it will drop down in speed to 11 megabits per second - so very likely it wil affect connect speedl.

You are using that encryption thingy on your network so other people can't steal your bandwidth?

Lurker the Second
01-07-2005, 18:18:03
I dunno. Wouldn't it have to be someone close by if someone were stealing it? If so, I can absolutely guarantee that it ain't happening.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
01-07-2005, 18:41:13
Netgear sucks :D The newer Linksys models with proper WPA encryption methods are better. Anything with WEP (even 128-bit WEP) can be hacked easily. Static IP, 128-bit encryption, non-broadcast SSID - none of that will save you. And someone with a high power directional antenna (or a Pringles can) can leech off your wireless access point from a few miles away.

You also need a software firewall to go with that hardware firewall. Go get ZoneAlarm Pro or something similar. Then you'll need spyware checkers - preferably two. Some kind of decent anti-virus (though with good Internet-usage-practices like don't open strange attachments, don't go to warez sites etc. should minimize any exposure you might get) as well.

Sir Penguin
01-07-2005, 22:44:18
ZoneAlarm Pro is ass. The firewall itself is bloatware. Paying for the Pro version adds maybe two useful features, neither of which is really important, and at least one of which is included in the Windows XP SP2 firewall.

SP

Lurker the Second
04-07-2005, 16:23:50
I also have the Norton firewall enabled. It cracks me up that someone could steal my bandwidth and yet I can't even get a good signal the way I've got things located within the house.