PDA

View Full Version : Royal Mail

The Norks
28-06-2005, 12:45:02
/rant/ I had a recorded delivery letter posted to me on the 8th June, and because I wasnt in, it was delivered back to the local Royal Mail. They don't answer their phone or have an answer phone, so in desperation I today called customer services who informed me it has long since been returned to sender and they dont keep the address of who the sender was.

I am really pissed off about this as it presumably was pretty important. When I asked why they don't have even an answer machine, the customer service woman told me it was because they sometimes didnt work and customers assumed a redelivery would be made if they left a message (well-duh!).

I've made a complaint, and she said no one will call me back they will just log it and 'refer to it'. I mean wtf? In this day and age how can it be fucking difficult to install a system whereby people can actually contact their local delivery office with enquiries? Especially as thats what it tells you to do on the fucking delivery card!!! What about old and disabled people who dont have the option of actually physically going there? And what about people who are unfortunate enough to be on holiday when their letter is delivered?

I wasnt expecting a recorded delivery, or indeed any delivery, so now I'm left wondering what was so important. I'm livid. I entered loads of competitions recently and at the beginnng of the year and I can't help thinking thats the only reason I would be receiving a recorded delivery letter. I am pissed pissed pissed, and more so because of the total lack of apology or explanation offered by the Royal mail. Fucking incompetent idiots.

/rant/

Nills Lagerbaak
28-06-2005, 12:57:00
One thing I've learned is to always have shit delivered to my work address. But then I guess if you entered a competition you can't dictate how they may contact you.

I remember the good old days when your neighbours could sign for it. I also remember the good old days when we knew our neighbours. :(

Venom
28-06-2005, 13:07:52
Round these parts you can just leave a note for the postal worker and they'll leave it.

Gary
28-06-2005, 13:12:38
An email went around my place of work asking for personal mail not to be delivered here :(

I also bought and installed a reasonable-sized, lockable, 'post-box' for parcels to be left in, when I'm out. Do any of the delivery firms use it ? Of course not.

Of course if you want to get in touch with the PO depot you can always drive down and pop in. Have to do that here most of the time.

I think the PO are not really trying for customer satisfacion really. I think they must've become too demoralised over the years what with others coming in to cherry-pick the best custom etc.. Can they last much longer at this rate ?

The Norks
28-06-2005, 13:42:44
i dont drive tho, and recorded has to be signed for, which is why its more complicated, but thats what I mean- my nan would be stuffed in that situation, and she doesnt have the internet to find out what their CS number is. I think its shocking that they cant handle this stuff. There's no excuse for it.

Yours, angry of Bracknell :)

protein
28-06-2005, 13:46:53
I had thousands of pounds worth of my studio gear delivered to a student house down the road once. I was extremely pissed off. Thankfully they were some of the good type of student and the stuff was still there when I got to them.

Beta1
28-06-2005, 14:25:01
your lucky they even tried to deliver it.

Around here they frequently just stick the "we tried to deliver" card through your door regardless - I spoke to someone I know who used to work for them and it turns out most of the delivery staff are temps and the management dont trust them with the parcels so you have to pick them up.

Sad isnt it.

Gary
28-06-2005, 14:36:50
I've had some delivery firms leave a card in the door saying that they've left the parcel "over the fence".

Err... that's a public right of way guys !!!!! Anyone can pick that up !!!!!

But the major roll eyes situation, just after I put up the lockable post-box. A card through the dorr saying they've hidden it behind the green box. Behind ?!?!?!? Why not in, with the door locked ?

The Norks
28-06-2005, 15:04:27
its appalling really- I get some parcels left in my bin! One sat there for a week once before I even realised.

Beta, that doesnt surprise me at all I suspect that goes on a lot, as well as theft.

Privatisation for you

Cruddy
28-06-2005, 15:06:50
If it's special delivery, they will usually leave it somewhere accessible.

If it's recorded, then they SHOULD leave a note saying it's at the local depot - and you only have a week to pick up recorded packages. If they just leave it without a signature then they're breaking the rules.

No note? I think you've got grounds for a complaint.

All recorded stuff has a tracking number on it, and the details really are logged. So it should be possible to track down the sender. Although the operator on the phone won't be able do it (data protection act and all that).

I'm very lucky, in that my local depot realy is local (about 15 mins walk). Most people don't have that luxury.

The Norks
28-06-2005, 15:09:30
they left a note but they dont answer the number they give you, and as i cant get there by car that made it pretty redundant

Cruddy
28-06-2005, 15:13:22
Well, if they never answered the phone that's a different "failure" for which you can make a complaint.

I doubt you'll get compensation, but if you're lucky they might release the address of the sender.

The number on my cards does get answered - by a bloody answering machine.

The Norks
28-06-2005, 15:29:36
they dont keep the address and the complaint is 'logged' but not responded to (I did make one however)

fp
28-06-2005, 17:50:20
The Royal Mail recently tried to deliver a package to my cowie's house while she was at work. When they foun she wasn't in they just threw it over the fence of a house a few doors down. Astonishingly they even admitted that they had done this.

fp
28-06-2005, 17:50:46
Fortunately the person who lived there was nice and so my cowie got the package in the end.