PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo - 2 new jobs!

Cruddy
23-06-2005, 13:50:22
Having not had permanent employment for the last 6 years, I'm very happy to have had 2 job offers.

They are both shift work, giving 24 telephone support.

The first is PC technical support, 4 days on - 2 days off, rota based, with lots of training - 13.5K a year.

The second is Health Advisor for NHS Direct, 5 days on, 2 days off, split shift patterns, really all over the place hours BUT it pays 16K a year.

Which one would you go for? I'm really tempted to stick with the tech support - is the extra money worth the extra hours?

mr.G
23-06-2005, 14:00:19
i'll take the architect job

Lurker the Second
23-06-2005, 14:03:02
Go with the one that offers the best chance of advancement.

The Higgelhoff
23-06-2005, 14:06:10
I'd take the Tech Support job, this way you can use the experience for better Technician/ IT Support jobs and eventually Network Management.

I can't see any future in the NHS Direct job.

Beta1
23-06-2005, 14:08:17
just out of interest - do you have any healthcare experience?

Cruddy
23-06-2005, 14:21:47
You don't need any. There's a lot of onsite health techs to handle the important calls - I'd be there to redirect people to other services or call out the ambulance if they have a heart attack on the phone.

Spartak
23-06-2005, 16:47:39
I wouldn't do either but then a) I'm not qualified to do them and b) I don't know what your circumstances are like.

Provost Harrison
23-06-2005, 17:11:05
Originally posted by Cruddy
Having not had permanent employment for the last 6 years, I'm very happy to have had 2 job offers.

They are both shift work, giving 24 telephone support.

The first is PC technical support, 4 days on - 2 days off, rota based, with lots of training - 13.5K a year.

The second is Health Advisor for NHS Direct, 5 days on, 2 days off, split shift patterns, really all over the place hours BUT it pays 16K a year.

Which one would you go for? I'm really tempted to stick with the tech support - is the extra money worth the extra hours?

Paywise, I'd say they're both taking the piss...

protein
23-06-2005, 17:12:35
take the money

Venom
23-06-2005, 17:17:26
DOOR NUMBER 1!!!!!!

Japher
23-06-2005, 17:21:41
dress up like a chicken!

Cruddy
23-06-2005, 17:43:02
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Paywise, I'd say they're both taking the piss...

Really? Sitting on your arse all day answering questions?

Try lifiting mailbags for minimum wage on a night shift. Now THAT is taking the piss.

Hardly work is it. And I'm not in the South East, can easily afford a mortgage on that, so it's quite good for my circumstances.

Provost Harrison
23-06-2005, 18:14:45
Oh well fair enough but I just remember how much I earned in my last job ($6.40ph) for doing the same job I do now. Despite the fact it gave me valuable experience, I still can't get over how insulting the pay rate was...

Japher
23-06-2005, 18:30:45
You gotta start somewhere.

The job I have now pays $70k/year, mifey makes another 40/year. We thus bring in 110/year.

The job we are moving to Cincinnati for pays 50/year to start with a raise in December. So, in about 6 months I will be making 54/year, which is what I was making when I started my current job. However, the cost of living there is about 1/3 to 1/2 of what it is here. So, we will be breaking even.

Still, what I like is that because I am starting over the growth potential for me is very high, compared to someone who has been sitting in the same spot for some time. Thus, I think within 2 years time I can be back to my original salary, which compares to my current cost of living as "we will be making the same but wifey won't have to work" (and if she does?). And, this doesn't include all the other compensation; merit pay, profit sharing, stock options, etc...

Not meaning to toot my own horn, but what I am getting at is that when you chose a job don't chose it for salary, chose it for job growth, or more importantly experience and future salary possibilities. Play your life like you play a game, think 5-10 years forward and you will be happy.

As a contrary example my wife has a friend who works for a pivate company that does drug research. My wife interviewed for the job but didn't get it, and was really upset. however, when we found out what her friend was doing my wife realized why she wasn't hired; wifey wouldn't do it. It was a step backwards, even though the pay was better. This girl now says things like, I can't ever imagine going back to making 40k, while my wife says I don't think I ever want to the job she is doing again.

My wife has gotten herself into management, and is very good at it. She will be working on contract for Stanford university for a while as they get her replacement trained. Wifey may make less then this girl at the private company, but that girl is doing a job that HS drop out do. It will get her nothing, and will lead her nowhere. Yet, she is blinded by money. Whereas, my wife is going to be able to make twice as much as this girl in a few years time. All because she is too stubborn to settle for anything less than what she is worth.

Japher
23-06-2005, 18:32:50
Sorry about that Darkstar post.

Provost Harrison
23-06-2005, 19:05:22
No worries. At the moment I have the best of both worlds - my skills are appreciated (although damn well utilised) at my present place of work, and are keen to promote me (I'm already looking towards senior analyst in a short while despite only being permanent since March). Plus the money ain't bad...33-35k once I have done my odd little bit of overtime (that's only with a few hours a week which I generally do to keep on top of things). It's nice to be in a, careerwise, non-panic situation...

No longer Trippin
24-06-2005, 01:58:18
I'd take the helldesk job.

What ever happened to DS BTW?