PDA

View Full Version : help


protein
23-06-2005, 12:24:17
team 17 have asked me for a quote to do the music for the new Lemmings game.

How much do I say?

Scabrous Birdseed
23-06-2005, 12:27:14
Don't you have a union to ask?

Debaser
23-06-2005, 12:27:25
Can you ask for a smaller lump sum and a percentage of future profits, or does it have to be a fixed amount?

Gary
23-06-2005, 12:31:19
How much is that place in the country that you have your eye on ?

The Higgelhoff
23-06-2005, 12:31:32
Originally posted by protein
team 17 have asked me for a quote to do the music for the new Lemmings game.

How much do I say?


GAMES FORUM!!!


Actually no... MUSIC FORUM!!!


That's great news, can't wait for a new version of Lemmings :D

protein
23-06-2005, 12:35:57
I panicked and phoned my publisher. I can't handle things like this on my own. I'd end up saying "200 and a copy of the game please"

Could be a fake email. It's happened to me before.

Lurker the Second
23-06-2005, 13:02:48
And they'd probably just offer the free copy of the game.

mr.G
23-06-2005, 13:05:51
Originally posted by protein
team 17 have asked me for a quote to do the music for the new Lemmings game.

How much do I say?

zeven point two kazillion bucks and free icecream for mrG of course.

good news rob :beer:
it sure is the good news week waaaahoooooooooo.

kick a seagulllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllll just for fun

Cruddy
23-06-2005, 14:46:02
How the fuck would Team 17 have the contract to do a new Lemmings?

Anyway, I'd work out the hours, multiply by 50, and charge them that.

EDIT: To find out if it's really Team 17, ask for Dr D. If he's not there (prolly left years ago) go no further.

If he is there, ask him what Gary is. If he says "uh" say Amiga Format.

If he stills says "uh" and not "Garyisthedevil" in a Yorkshire accent, he's a fake.

MDA
23-06-2005, 14:47:17
Lifetime supply of hot dogs, please.

Debaser
23-06-2005, 14:53:30
Originally posted by Cruddy
Anyway, I'd work out the hours, multiply by 50, and charge them that.


I think he'll want a bit more than 25!

Venom
23-06-2005, 14:59:15
:lol:

mr.G
23-06-2005, 15:03:20
:lol:

hey Rob, if you've got the contract can you put a nice
doooooooooo
di
doooooooooo
in the music?

The Norks
23-06-2005, 15:17:17
ask them to pay you in gold dubloons

King_Ghidra
23-06-2005, 15:38:30
2000

protein
23-06-2005, 15:41:01
2000 initial fee and then mechanicals would be okay-ish. There are 12 songs to recreate though. I'd need session guitarists etc.

mr.G
23-06-2005, 15:49:09
I will do the doooooooooo di dooooooooo part for free.

King_Ghidra
23-06-2005, 15:51:08
ah, well if you know that, then can't you work out an average for recording time for each song then multiply that by your usual studio rates and by 12 and then add a few hundred quid for bullshit factor

The Norks
23-06-2005, 15:51:12
shouldnt you get paid MUCH MORE?

Lemmings is a big game- dont you get royalties or anything?

King_Ghidra
23-06-2005, 15:52:49
i doubt it. it might be a game but effectively rob will just be a contractor on the project. do you think the coders at EA get royalties on the FIFA games or whatever?

King_Ghidra
23-06-2005, 15:54:17
and also they're asking for a quote, that seems to imply that they will be receving more than one quote...

Venom
23-06-2005, 15:54:30
EA coders are lucky to not be beaten to death.

protein
23-06-2005, 15:56:16
Originally posted by The Norks
shouldnt you get paid MUCH MORE?

Lemmings is a big game- dont you get royalties or anything?
Mechanicals are royalties per unit manufactured. 2000 plus mechanicals would be a tidy sum in the end.

They might want to buy out the tracks which means I'd have to charge more.

I dunno, it's tricky because they are going to go for the cheapest quote probably.

Cruddy
23-06-2005, 16:03:51
Originally posted by protein
2000 initial fee and then mechanicals would be okay-ish. There are 12 songs to recreate though. I'd need session guitarists etc.

You probably won't break even. Unless you know some cheap studio musicians that will play for food.

Japher
23-06-2005, 16:06:44
Just tell 'em you'll match the lowest bid, but do it better

Venom
23-06-2005, 16:06:49
Sonic Undermind rides (and eats) again!

paiktis22
23-06-2005, 17:45:55
Always go for the highest level you have in your mind! And ask for percentages of the sales if possible. Money pa ra rara ram

mr.G
23-06-2005, 17:52:48
ask yourself one thing.
am i good...... if the answer is yes, let them paythe big fee or screw'm.

It's a hell of a way to get rid of the cheap label you get when you do it for less money. took me 5 years

protein
23-06-2005, 17:53:03
Originally posted by Cruddy
You probably won't break even. Unless you know some cheap studio musicians that will play for food.
I can do the drums, bass and rhythm guitar, I'd just need someone for guitar and I know a few shit hot players from recording their bands. Funko's singer/guitarist springs to mind but there are plenty more.

That said, it will probably be dance remixes, which will be easypeasy. I could even sample the originals and work them in.

Fingers crossed!

Cruddy
23-06-2005, 17:55:20
Well, best of luck - Dr D did leave years ago so he's a complete nonstarter for verification.

protein
23-06-2005, 17:59:37
The person is "Kel - Production Assistant"

protein
23-06-2005, 18:01:14
Kel

Kel is into his second spell at Team17 having been a senior QA member for years and also having a spell at Sony. His current role involves play balancing and weapon tweaking for Worms 3D and he's worked on all previous Worms games. Don't feed this man beer. It's not a pleasant sight! Kel's also been busy scripting and designing missions as well as laying out all of the Worms 3D menu interfaces.
http://www.worms3d.com/about.html?area=thet&thet=desi

Funko
24-06-2005, 11:28:36
Good luck, sounds like a good thing to get. :)

The Norks
24-06-2005, 11:47:24
don't sell yourself short just to get the job- its got to be worth your while to do it, so you should probably work out a nominal hourly rate, what your costs are (or should be if you used professionals) and how long it will take. People don't always want cheap, cheap means low quality to a lot of people, and these companies aren't poor, so they'll pay for what they want which is a professional but good value product. Good value is different to cheap ;)

Have you ever thought about doing a spot of benchmarking with other people who do the same sort of thing, and asking what they charge? Its a really valuable exercise for positioning yourself.

Go for it :)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
24-06-2005, 20:05:24
You should ask for the exclusive review of the game to be done by CGers.

BigGameHunter
24-06-2005, 20:16:21
Make them downpay with a blowjob, just to prove they take this very seriously.

protein
24-06-2005, 21:32:56
Originally posted by The Norks
don't sell yourself short just to get the job- its got to be worth your while to do it, so you should probably work out a nominal hourly rate, what your costs are (or should be if you used professionals) and how long it will take. People don't always want cheap, cheap means low quality to a lot of people, and these companies aren't poor, so they'll pay for what they want which is a professional but good value product. Good value is different to cheap ;)

Have you ever thought about doing a spot of benchmarking with other people who do the same sort of thing, and asking what they charge? Its a really valuable exercise for positioning yourself.

Go for it :)
I've got a professional to deal with the wheeling and dealing side of things. I don't know enough.