PDA

View Full Version : !

Gary
21-06-2005, 12:24:51
Now don't forget, these congestion charges have nothing whatsoever to do with squeezing more money from the public, it's all to do with encouraging you to swop to a different form of transport. It's your choice if you opt to attract the charge. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4112360.stm)

Clearly the sooner we get everyone back into cars, the better.

HelloKitty
21-06-2005, 12:27:44
Didn't CNN have an article about London having the most expensive public transportation in the world?

MDA
21-06-2005, 12:27:44
Just stay the hell off Greg's bus, whatever you do. :)

yeah, wrong continent

The Norks
21-06-2005, 16:20:33
"Rail passengers could face congestion charge-style price hikes at rush hour to combat rising passenger numbers. "

Fucking hell :rolleyes:

As a long time non driver and train user, I know that prices are ALREADY higher in peak times. If you have a discounted railcard of any kind it doesnt apply during 'rush hour' which apprently lasts from 7-10 am and 5-7pm.

If they really wanted to encourage people back onto trains, they'd discount rush hour, and hike up off-peak rates.

:Tory style rant:

King_Ghidra
21-06-2005, 16:26:50
yeah but they clealry don't want to encourage people back on to trains because there aren't enough trains or carriages to handle te number of current passengers, never mind those who they are apparently trying to deter from travelling by road.

i can only imagine the govt. wants us all to work from home...

Funko
21-06-2005, 16:36:16
Options are:

Flexi time, work from home, move away from the south east, work closer to home, move closer to work.

Anyway we already pay peak rates on the trains. So what's new? :confused: Do some people not have peak rates? I think it's nearly double an off peak fare for a Reading - Paddington peak ticket.

Funko
21-06-2005, 16:36:49
Mine's about 10% higher at peak time.

Funko
21-06-2005, 16:43:44
Just checked

Peak time Reading to London Paddington Return is 23.80, off peak is 12.00

I am not sure how they could make it any more attractive for me to travel off peak.

The Norks
21-06-2005, 17:41:12
most commuters cant travel off peak, thats the point. That swhy adding even more to peak times will just drive the sane driver even further away

The Norks
21-06-2005, 17:43:13
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
yeah but they clealry don't want to encourage people back on to trains because there aren't enough trains or carriages to handle te number of current passengers, never mind those who they are apparently trying to deter from travelling by road.

i can only imagine the govt. wants us all to work from home...

yeah virgin trains have four carriages- the amount of times I've had to stand between Brum and Reading. Grrrr

Oerdin
21-06-2005, 17:51:58
Wouldn't an off peak discount work as just as large an incentive as a peak time price hike? I'm surprised at how transparent the UK government's money grubbing is yet you folks put up with it. In the US the government tries to create toll roads at various times and most often it results in some politicians losing his job because outraged citizens point out that their tax dollars have already lbeen taking obstensively to build said road yet the politicians misappropriated the funds.

The Norks
21-06-2005, 18:18:59
but Oerdin the problem is that
a) the railways are now privately owned, therefore we can't protest to the government
b) a peak time discount would (I think) tempt back drivers as opposed to penalising people for travelling during normal working hours. Penalising commuters is just shooting themselves in the foot because not only does it mean missing a massive chunk of business, they also miss the chance to promote leisure travel by train to those clients.

Its pitiful, and the trains used to be the pride of Britain.

I hope Margaret Thatcher is tortured in hell by a demon dressed as a ticket inspector, asking her for her off peak pass.

Oerdin
21-06-2005, 19:04:00
Train service is one area where the government should own everything though the service providers should have to compete in order to win contracts. This keep the system running efficiently and prevents much of the bloat which occurs in government monopolies. There is no way a private company is going to come up with the capital to expand the railway network beyond what is already built.

The Higgelhoff
21-06-2005, 19:17:51
I suppose it's all about demand. If they can charge higher rates and get away with it, they will.

I've had to use Buses the past 12 months to commute to work. They are bloody awful. Hardly ever on time, over crowded and expensive.

I think staggering the time of work would make a lot of sense. The working day should range from 7am-7pm.

Japher
21-06-2005, 19:21:21
I think staggering the time of work would make a lot of sense. The working day should range from 7am-7pm.

That would be nice. However, what if the milkman worked from 7am to 3pm, but the dairy worked from 11am to 7pm, and the preschool opporated from 930am to 530pm?

The milkman would be able to get his milk until 4 hours after he started working and the kids would go thirsty!! Yet, there would be no kids of milkmen there because he'd have to drag them around for 2 and a half hours before the school opened!

Not to big of an example but you see what I mean. It's like getting a German to do something in August.

Oerdin
21-06-2005, 19:29:40
Is it really so expensive to own a car in the UK? Around here everyone but the poorest 16 year olds all own a car.

The Higgelhoff
21-06-2005, 19:30:43
If the day was staggered then employers could afford to be a little more flexible. The milman's wife could look after the kids, drop them off and he could pick them up.

The kids could get their milk from the 24 hour petrol/gas station :p

The Higgelhoff
21-06-2005, 19:32:56
Originally posted by Oerdin
Is it really so expensive to own a car in the UK? Around here everyone but the poorest 16 year olds all own a car.

To park for the day in Manchester it costs around 6. Petrol/Gas for the week, on a 10 mile round trip per day, would cost 10 ( about 30 mpg)

That's 40/week just in petrol and parking. It's rediculously expensive.

Funko
22-06-2005, 10:01:27
+ insurance, tax etc.

They reckon the average spend is 3000 a year on a car (not including stuff like parking fees)

We don't have space for every 16 year old to have a car (and you have to be 17 to get a license) and our towns are more predestrian friendly.

Gary
22-06-2005, 14:44:26
Assuming you bother going there, since you can't park.

If I have a choice I shop out of town. No problems there.

Funko
22-06-2005, 14:55:42
Towns in general not just the town centers.

Anyway, I just walk to the shops.