Funko
14-06-2005, 10:08:19
CDs are now winging their way to

LazGimp, Eklektikos, Shaker, Scabby, Stefu, Bas, Greg, Shiny and BGH

3 UK, 3 Europe, 3 overseas - all posted for under a tenner! :eek:

Track Listing

Song title - Band (Album/single)

Rock 'n Roll - Gruppo Sportivo (Back to 19 mistakes) mrG's contribution
Nuendo - Pete and the Pirates (Get Even)
Our Trip - The Thermals (Fuckin A)
Evening on the Ground (Lilith's Song) - Iron and Wine (Woman King)
Pig Latin - The Dillinger Escape Plan with Mike Patton (Irony Is
A Dead Scene)
Swearings For Art Students - Elle Milano
Wooden Tree - Ivor Cutler (Jammy Smears)
Je Suis Un Baseball Bat - Ipanema (Je Suis Un Baseball Bat vs Skull)
Down the Drain - Cave In (Bootleg)
Elefante - Verdena (Il Suicidio Dei Samurai) MoSe's contribution
Sunny Beach Road - The Mad Capsule Markets (CiSTM K0nFLiqT)
Star Wars Jr - Supershit 666 (Grand Master)

Bonus Tracks:

Suck You Dry - Mudhoney (Piece of Cake)
Pacifier - Shihad
Sonny - Pete and the Pirates (Get Even)
Silent Effusion - Müf (We Could Be Friends)

zmama
14-06-2005, 11:38:56
Rock 'n Roll! good choice :D

Debaser
14-06-2005, 12:00:45
I thought that P&tP track was called "Nuona".

Funko
14-06-2005, 12:04:40
Pete told me it was like that... *shrug*

mr.G
14-06-2005, 12:37:50
hmmmmm tokio is my fav.
makes me dooooooo di dooooooo instantly

Funko
14-06-2005, 12:43:24
Rock'n'roll worked...

Tizzy
14-06-2005, 12:55:25
Rock 'n' Roll is brilliant

Lazarus and the Gimp
15-06-2005, 17:43:39
Ivor Cutler! Genius!

Funko
15-06-2005, 23:40:52
He is. :beer:

I figure everyone getting the CD will probably know at least one song but hopefully at least one will be new to them.

More CDs are available on request.

Greg W
16-06-2005, 01:26:52
Can't say that I have heard of any of them, so it should be an interesting experience to me. Cheers, mate. :beer:

Eklektikos
16-06-2005, 20:05:31
Only one I've heard on there as far as I'm aware is the Patton/DEP track. Very much looking forward to checking out the other stuff though.

Mr. Bas
22-06-2005, 16:24:32
I received it this weekend, but I haven't really had time to listen to it properly so far. A good amount of bands I'm familiar with, but I've heard only 3 of the songs before as far as I can remember (Mudhoney, Muf, Dillinger Escape Plan). I'll give it a proper review next week, most probably.

Funko
22-06-2005, 16:27:05
Anyone else got theirs yet?

mr.G
22-06-2005, 16:34:10
I wemt to the postoffice and went bzzzzzzurk, killed the girl at the other side of the counter. but no no no no, no CD for mr G.

hey that rymes

Funko
22-06-2005, 16:38:25
Did mr G ask for a CD to be sent?

No he didn't.

I can send him one if he wants though.

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-06-2005, 18:21:20
Yep- got mine. Just giving it a listen.

Tizzy
22-06-2005, 18:21:36
Or he could pick one up next weekend :gotit:

Eklektikos
23-06-2005, 14:17:56
Got mine but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

Greg W
24-06-2005, 01:19:21
Got mine, listening to it now.

Eklektikos
24-06-2005, 16:40:39
So what's the mystery extra song? :hmm:

Funko
24-06-2005, 16:43:57
Shit, where does it come? give me some lyrical/style clues.

answer before 5pm or don't hear 'till Thursday.

Funko
24-06-2005, 16:46:50
Oh I know, it's Shihad :lol:

Pacifier I think, I was going to take it off the playlist but I must have not done that.

I am a genius.

Eklektikos
24-06-2005, 16:48:06
It's track 14, is quite slow with a big muffly, swirly guitar sound, only about one riff and a borderline emo chorus that features the phrase "come on and take a look outside".

Eklektikos
24-06-2005, 16:49:20
Completely redundant x-post. :beer:

Funko
24-06-2005, 16:50:50
Yeah, that's it then.

Updated the op.

that means all the covers are wrong. :lol:

:nervous:

Funko
24-06-2005, 16:52:23
Er...

Congratulations to Eklektikos for being the first one to spot the deliberate mistake!

Eklektikos
24-06-2005, 16:52:39
Nicely done, sir. :lol:

Funko
24-06-2005, 16:53:57
Thanks!

I was probably drunk or something

The Shaker
24-06-2005, 19:28:53
Originally posted by Funko
Er...

Congratulations to Eklektikos for being the first one to spot the deliberate mistake!

Which made me look a loon.
Given i aint heard any pete and the pirates of muf,
I assumed pete was shihad, and you were pete.
And was busy discussing the tracks with my gf when the last one popped up.
:clueless:

BigGameHunter
24-06-2005, 19:59:13
Not bad...10 days to the wilds of Oregon...that Pony Express may be antiquated, but damn if it ain't got grit!

Funko
30-06-2005, 17:03:30
Well...

any comments?

:beer:

Stefu X
01-07-2005, 09:17:43
I've got mine fyi

I've got a lot of other listening however, don't know when I'll get to this CD

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-07-2005, 10:33:55
Well...

any comments?

:beer:

I'm working on it. The presence of naughty words restricts my opportunities to play it.

Funko
01-07-2005, 11:10:54
Ah...
That is interesting, I totally hadn't thought of it, how many naughty word songs are there? High proportion?

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-07-2005, 11:24:52
Here's my notes from the first listen (so they're a bit rough). I hadn't read the track listing, so it's done under LWP conditions.

1- Jaunty, hoarse. Reminiscent of many semi-serious indie bands of the mid 80's. Nothing special.

2- Hints of early stereolab, VU, Telstar Ponies, "You take me to the sun". Talstar Ponies comparisons kick in towards the end as it kicks off. A bit murky, but a good one.

3- Shouty declamatory snotty punk. Nothing special.

4- Complexity caused by edits- or just just extraordinary guitar playing. Keening folky lyrics over the top. This is a great one. I'd buy it. Great mix of violins and distorted guitars. Me likey lots. Must......buy....back....catalogue........

5- OK, it's jazz. Then it's not. Nice sense of drama building. Then it wigs out and goes mental.Bonkers. Oooooh- it's gone metal now. It's like what would happen if The Boredoms covered Slipknot and were then remixed by Nurse With Wound. Hey, we're moving into ritualistic satanist chants now. Music to sacrifice a goat to. Jazz again! Outer space jazz. Mental again!

6- Shut up. When Robert Smith went emo. Having said that, I like the backing, especially the guitars. OK- it's growing on me. Yep- getting better. Yeaaaaaaaahhh, good guitars. Getting fonder of the vocalist too. Bugger- he's gone irritating again. Wish he'd stop doing that.

7- The immortal genius that is Ivor Cutler.

8- Kick off! Headbanging at my desk. Getting a bit emo, but a good one. It's not letting up, is it? That's a good thing. Bass solo! Bastard! Break his fingers!

9- Stereo effects! Purposeful. Reminds me of something a bit embarrassing. Churning effects at the back of the mix. It's like a more psychedelic version of Yo La Tengo. This is a good one.

10- Good bit of drumming there. This is a mosh like a bastard track. Anyone getting within ten feet gets beaten to a pulp. Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! It's building! Yes! I'm nearly fully erect! It's been so long!

11- It's a bit emo, it's a lot rock. Busy, busy drummer. Twin Vocals! Shouty! Death metal interlude! Melody ditched! They're going for the kill! Oh, the song's fought a brave comeback. Dead heat between tune and testosterone. Fun.

12- A hint of Iggy there. Balls-out rock'n'roll party tune. good good.

13- All front, no testicles. It's Mudhoney, but not one of their good ones.

14- Swagger it! A little too anthemic for my tastes. It's "girlfriend music". Stuff your girlfriend likes and you have to pretend to like too.

15- Short but effective. A snippet. Good one.

16- He said "destiny". Every song with "destiny" in the lyrics is shit. I don't know why, but it's true. Will this one be different? Builds well. Purposeful, with a hint of metal. Doesn't mess about. Strong melody underpinning it. Outro crunches along. Oh- it's not an outro after all. Very serious.

Funko
01-07-2005, 11:51:46
Funnily enough, I was saying last night that I need to buy all of Iron and Wine (track 4s) back catalogue.

That CD (Woman King) is the only one I have but it's particularly excellent.

Funko
04-07-2005, 09:22:07
Bump for the lazy.

Mr. Bas
04-07-2005, 10:37:02
1. I don't really care about this one. It tries to be witty and self-referential, but in general it's all a bit boring new wave-ish stuff. I'm not surprised at all that this is Mr. G.'s song, it sounds just like him.

2. Yeah, this is good. It's very restrained, but it keeps tension that way all along until it finally rocks out at the end. Is Get Even out already, BTW?

3. Brilliant! This is definitely one of the must buy-albums on my list. Very energetic rock, even though I already heard some other Thermals tracks I somehow always lumped them in with much more boring bands like The Strokes and The Killers.

4. This is a grower... I didn't like it at all at first, but I can appreciate this odd folky track more and more.

5. Not really my favourite of the Dillinger Escape Plan. It's actually quite mellow by their standards, although it features their trademark dynamics and variation. This is mainly a showcase of Mike Patton's admittedly extraordinary vocals, but I think the song itself is not quite up to DEP standards.

6. Most annoying vocalist of the entire compilation. I don't think the song is that good either, it's look-at-me-being-clever indie-ish stuff without any real drive behind it. One of the weaker tracks here.

7. Funny novelty song, that's all.

8. It kicks off like a good Therapy?-like rocker, and actually for most of the time it keeps sounding like that. The singer does not fit very well with the song though, a bit of a shame, because for the rest this is fine.

9. I'm familiar with Cave In, but everything else I've heard by them is much heavier, much more rock. I suspect this is from their newest album, as they've mellowed out hugely from originally being a metalcore band to, well, this. Still, nice pick, although not as good as their Jupiter-period.

10. Verdena, eh? I remember them from a couple of years ago, it's great, honest grunge, and they rock like a bastard. So does this track.

11. A very energetic punk-ish song, with a nice hardcore interlude, and then it goes back to its original sound. It's not very memorable, but it's definitely fun. 'Somehow I'm not really comfortable with bands singing random stuff they hardly understand, but as the singer is incomprehensible anyway (I only heard the title) it doesn't really matter.

12. ROCK!

13. Mudhoney never fails to deliver, and this is an old favourite of mine. Nice!

14. It's ofcourse nonsense to claim that slow songs suck in general, but this is definitely one of the most boring songs on the compilation. It's just not very good, and the snail-like speed only makes things worse.

15. Short and effective.

16. Nice melodic rocker, I like it. It doesn't grab you by the throat like many SU-songs did though, it really took me several listens to get into this track, but all in all, good one.

Like you can see, I really enjoyed most of the compilation, with a few definite must-buys, some bands I already was familiar with and only very few complete duds. Thanks Mike! :beer:

Funko
04-07-2005, 10:45:10
See, this is why I removed Shihad from the track listing. :) I thought it would be only me.

Get Even is out on the 24th July I think, well that's the launch gig. You will be able to buy it from Rough Trade (http://www.roughtrade.com/) apparently and they deliver overseas.

Funko
15-07-2005, 13:28:46
Any more comments? Might post my comments...

Lazarus and the Gimp
15-07-2005, 19:01:58
Don't hold your breath. Idlebastarditis has blighted many a CD swap.

BigGameHunter
16-07-2005, 01:37:32
My wife took off in the car that had the CD in it for a week...but she's back. I'll try and do some tonight or tomorrow!!

Funko
18-07-2005, 09:29:25
I'm not really holding my breath but I found that the occasional bumping of a thread was a good reminder to my idlebastardness. :)

Funko
19-07-2005, 14:38:49
Oh and let me know what your wife thought too... ;)

Funko
11-11-2005, 15:24:25
Track Listing

Song title - Band (Album/single)

Rock 'n Roll - Gruppo Sportivo (Back to 19 mistakes) mrG's contribution

MrG gave me a whole Gruppo Sportivo greatest hits when he was in London. It's all good but this was my favourite at the time of making the compilation plus it seemed to fit with the theme. Gruppo Sportivo are fantastic. There's a fine line between clever and stupid and they happily plant a foot on either side of the line and bounce.

Nuendo - Pete and the Pirates (Get Even)

I sometimes get stick for bigging up the Pirates as my brother is a band member but even if he wasn't they'd still be one of the best, most exciting local bands around. This was from the unmastered version of their mini-album. The finished thing sounds even better. A great mini masterpiece.

Our Trip - The Thermals (Fuckin A)

The first of two Sub Pop bands. Just a kick arse punky song. I love it.

Evening on the Ground (Lilith's Song) - Iron and Wine (Woman King)

Iron and Wine is a pretty misleading name for this guy's cool, clever, emotional stuff. Great guitar work too.

A Dead Scene)

This is one of those songs that I liked at the time but wouldn't have put on the CD if it wasn't new to me at the time. Oh well!

Swearings For Art Students - Elle Milano

Another band who've been making waves locally. I really like this song. Have seen them a couple of times live and they've been good... I say I've seen them. Their average height is like 2ft tall so I've watched some fat guy's back whilst they've played in the same room I was in a couple of times.

Wooden Tree - Ivor Cutler (Jammy Smears)

First heard this song when someone covered it at a local gig. It's from an album of songs/poetry which is actually really cool. I love this song the most though. It's sweet and funny...

Je Suis Un Baseball Bat - Ipanema (Je Suis Un Baseball Bat vs Skull)

Singer/guitarist Wiz used to be in Mega City Four, was never really a fan of them at the time but I really like his new band Ipanema. Now a very small time 'local' band their pedigree/experience nevertheless outshines most local acts. This song kicks arse from beginning to end.

Down the Drain - Cave In (Bootleg)

Turns out all the people who might like Cave In already knew them so... a little redundant.

Elefante - Verdena (Il Suicidio Dei Samurai) MoSe's contribution

My pick of the two Verdena CDs that MoSe gave me.

Sunny Beach Road - The Mad Capsule Markets (CiSTM K0nFLiqT)

A bit of a reprise of Sunny Beach from the Mad Capsule Market's earlier album 010. I love these crazy japanese guys.

Star Wars Jr - Supershit 666 (Grand Master)

This is one of Ginger from the Wildhearts side projects. I love this shit.

Eklektikos
11-11-2005, 16:40:24
A Dead Scene)

This is one of those songs that I liked at the time but wouldn't have put on the CD if it wasn't new to me at the time. Oh well!
I think that of the three original tracks on that EP the only one which still stands up for me is "When Good Dogs Do Bad Things". The other two got tired quite quickly once the novelty wore off, although to be fair said novelty did persist for quite a while.