PDA

View Full Version : Wierd bugs

Oerdin
13-06-2005, 20:16:57
When I was in Costa Rica I took a tour of this Butterfly reserve in Monteverde. One of the exibites was that they showed other insects native to Costa Rica and spoke about their ecology, native habitate, and impact upon humans. The place was filled with Norte Americanos (meaning USians and Canadians) students who were interning there and it was interesting to see them pick up and hold the various insects.

Our tour guide was a rather cute blond haired Canadian girl who picked up and showed use huge numbers of arthropods including several toranculas, a one pound horned dung beatle, a six inche long flying cockroach, and several millepeds. None of those were harmful or carried contagious diseases but there was a small blue and black beatle which she wouldn't pick up. Supposedly that beatle caused more deaths in Latin America then heart disease, aids, and cancer combined.

I forgot the name of the disease but this beatle carriied a virus so that when it bit you the victim would become deathly ill for 2-3 days then recover. People would then think they had recovered and go about their life but the virus would reappear 15-20 years later and result in the vicitm dying no matter what medicine the doctors tried.

Talk about a fucked up bug. Supposedly this beatle's bite cause a decent sized scare so that was when you knew it wasn't just a cold but was something serious which you needed to see a doctor. Anyone else have any weird bug stories?

Cruddy
13-06-2005, 20:19:42
I remember once encountering a hornet under my bed.

I was impressed with the size of the beast and tried to trap it under a mug.

Went to get a sheaf of paper to ease under the mug - came back and the mug had moved about 2 feet and was still travelling...

Took no chances and squashed the bugger. Took about a dozen stomps in boots as well.

Oerdin
13-06-2005, 20:20:25
Ah, hell. I have another. One of the millepeds they had in the rainforest gave off a super strong pherimone smell to attract a mate. The males smelt horrid but the females smelt kind of good so supposedly the perfume companies tried to harvest the females to capture their sent and sell it in perfume. I never found a female since they're so valuable people have hunted them near to extinction but we did find several males who stunk like rotten eggs.

Cruddy
13-06-2005, 20:21:01
Wouldn't that attract bugs to you?

Oerdin
13-06-2005, 20:23:33
That's one big honet if it was moving a mug.

Oerdin
13-06-2005, 20:28:54
Originally posted by Cruddy
Wouldn't that attract bugs to you? If these millepeds lived in Paris, London, or New York where the perfume was being sold for god knows how much then I imagine it would. I doubt you will find rain forest insects in those cities though.

I am reminded of a TV commercial I saw a few years back. It was about pherimones and it claimed that humans have pherimones (true) and that women would line up to fuck guys who used a certain after shave (not true). The problem was that human pherimones are only found in the pituitary gland and the only way to recover them is to cut open someone's brain and recover the gland. Obviously this isn't going to happen on a commercial scale so this company instead used the pituitary glands from pigs. That's great if you want to attract the attention of a lady pig but horride if you want to attract the attention of a female human. :lol:

Lurker the Second
13-06-2005, 20:32:01
Venom has that after-shave.