PDA

View Full Version : New Boss

BigGameHunter
12-06-2005, 16:11:22
Our new manager arrives for a "visit" tomorrow with our district manager (his boss).
Should I:

a) affect a rough and tumble "get er done" sort of persona that befits my labor intensive work center

b) affect a hyper intelligent "this is beneath my abilities but I'm happy to take one for the team" persona

or

c) just be myself, crack some inappropriate jokes and stutter and stammer a lot.

First impressions!

Cruddy
12-06-2005, 16:14:33
Just do your job as normal and keep your head down.

Alternatively hire a stripper to welcome them.

Funko
12-06-2005, 17:06:31
That's when you find He is a She.

Cruddy
12-06-2005, 17:07:48
<sigh> Obviously you match the stripper to the sexual inclination of the new boss.

So even if the boss is a she, hiring a male stripper isn't necessarily the best idea.

Funko
12-06-2005, 17:08:44
Even if your boss is a he. All kinds of sexual harassment type scenarios...

Cruddy
12-06-2005, 17:22:22
No risk, no gain.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
12-06-2005, 17:38:04
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Our new manager arrives for a "visit" tomorrow with our district manager (his boss).
Should I:

d) Welcome them with a "wtf do you want chairfarters, we got shitloads of work to do"

The Norks
13-06-2005, 00:07:37
kill your boss, skin him, wear his skin, hope that no one notices- instant promotion and recognition!

Oerdin
13-06-2005, 04:07:38
How Hannibal Lecter of you.

JM^3
13-06-2005, 04:13:25
Call in sick..

JM

Drekkus
13-06-2005, 14:40:27
How about sucking up to him in the best way possible and getting a promotion?

Venom
13-06-2005, 14:42:22
Burn down the store.

Lurker the Second
13-06-2005, 14:44:53
:lol: I liked the "call in sick" idea.

The Norks
13-06-2005, 15:17:04
Originally posted by Oerdin
How Hannibal Lecter of you.

*that irritating noise everyone does when impersonating Hannibal Lecter* :D

BigGameHunter
14-06-2005, 03:04:19
Hmmm...says he's all about "accountability and 'the numbers'", which means he's going to bust anyone's balls that drives our metrics (many and mysterious) down and keeps him from getting a big fat bonus. He's 3 years younger than me and revealed he was married for two years and then divorced because his wife cheated on him for the first 1.5 years. That seemed a bit TMI for the situation. He also grilled me, basically wanting me to tell him which of my co-managers sucked. I deftly sidestepped by insinuating they all sucked, save two (out of @6).
I assured him that my workcenter was the very model of accountability, with generous helpings of firings, tears, written counsellings and general prison camp ethics.
I think I'll see if he's a golfer and go that route.
Not too smart (not dumb either) but posessed of that ruthless panache that all corporate management types seem to have.

What's my next play?

Cruddy
14-06-2005, 03:28:03
Get some dirt on him to blackmail him with.

Same goes for his boss.

JM^3
14-06-2005, 03:32:02
Hmmm...says he's all about "accountability and 'the numbers'", which means he's going to bust anyone's balls that drives our metrics (many and mysterious) down and keeps him from getting a big fat bonus. He's 3 years younger than me and revealed he was married for two years and then divorced because his wife cheated on him for the first 1.5 years. That seemed a bit TMI for the situation. He also grilled me, basically wanting me to tell him which of my co-managers sucked. I deftly sidestepped by insinuating they all sucked, save two (out of @6).
I assured him that my workcenter was the very model of accountability, with generous helpings of firings, tears, written counsellings and general prison camp ethics.
Not too smart (not dumb either) but posessed of that ruthless panache that all corporate management types seem to have.

What's my next play?

\S3e83e8 if h3e8 has a girld fr3e8ind

\JM

Oerdin
14-06-2005, 06:30:23
He's just coming on strong since he's the new guy. He's trying to lay the foundation but it's all a game. Just make sure you make your sales/profitability numbers and stay out of the finger pointing politics which are about to happen. Those people will get sucked down into the mud slinging and counter slinging while you will continue to look perfectly clean.

Drekkus
14-06-2005, 11:25:51
[i]What's my next play? [/B] Find out if he's a swinger as well.

No longer Trippin
14-06-2005, 12:43:21
Lime and a shovel

Provost Harrison
14-06-2005, 12:52:17
Sounds like the name of a pub ;)

JM^3
14-06-2005, 15:30:05
Originally posted by JM^3
\S3e83e8 if h3e8 has a girld fr3e8ind

\JM

that is

see if he has a girlfreind...

JM

Beta1
14-06-2005, 15:52:35
thats probably the most insane JM post ever

The Norks
14-06-2005, 16:15:15

What's my next play?

I'd be careful with that- he might have been sounding you out to see how loyal you are.

If he told you about his wife this early on I'd stay at arms length, he could be the sort who bears grudges and gets emotionally involved.

No longer Trippin
14-06-2005, 18:03:02
Gotta agree with the above - anytime managers have gotten personal with me, I knew something was up. Generally a nice wave of firings, so kissing ass paid off.

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-06-2005, 22:07:14

What's my next play?

Well duh. He clearly fancies you.

The Norks
14-06-2005, 22:40:41
Originally posted by No longer Trippin
Gotta agree with the above - anytime managers have gotten personal with me, I knew something was up. Generally a nice wave of firings, so kissing ass paid off.

its the sign of an insecure/unstable personality

Oerdin
14-06-2005, 23:05:27
I thought this thread was going to be abut bossman.

BigGameHunter
14-06-2005, 23:13:31
Damn...should have taken my vacation already this year.
Oh well...I've got my salesfloor equivalent as a buddy and our HR manager in my corner, as well as boss' boss...I'd have to fuck up pretty royally to get in his bad graces and I don't plan on that.

The Norks
15-06-2005, 00:05:23
dont bet on it. The boss can always find a way :)

BigGameHunter
15-06-2005, 05:16:17
Yeah, true...but I'm the bird in his hand.

Or something like that.

Chris
15-06-2005, 05:19:04

What's my next play? Ask him if he likes gladiator movies.