PDA

View Full Version : PHP vs. Java Web Techs

LoD
11-06-2005, 23:39:39
As I have recently learned the latter lately, I'm interested in how those technologies compare with application in medium-to-large projects. Since Java has the obvious advantage of better managability and modifiability, the only issue to be concerned about is performance. I've been trawling the net in search of a good report that would compare the two. So far I've mostly found "my programming language is better than yours" dick-waving contests and 1 (ONE) good report. Said report is unfortunately 2 years old...
So I'm asking you guys - how would you rate your experiances? Is PHP really faster, or are the two comparably swift?
One note - I'm not talking about EJB here.

Cruddy
12-06-2005, 00:34:26
I would guess that PHP performance would be dependent on the server and Java performance would be dependent on the client?

I don't have ANY experience of programming either so that's just a guess.

Nav
12-06-2005, 09:48:40
Can you explain what you mean by 'Java Web Techs' are you talking about Java applets run over the net or JSP or something similar? Because I would never consider a Java applet over a traditional web scripting language like PHP, in fact they are so different I wouldn't compare them. Which is why I think you can't be talking about Java through an applet.. And I haven't had any experience of JSP. So can't help there sorry!

LoD
12-06-2005, 10:08:29
Cruddy: that depends on where the applications are running, you can have them both on the client and the server, the latter is preferred for naturally for web applications.

AND speaking of which...

Nav: No no, no applets :). Servlets, JSP, Standard Java Beans, the works. Thanks for the reply anyway :).

Funko
12-06-2005, 11:34:00
We've been analysing php based techs and J2EE based techs at work recently for medium/large commercial applications.

J2EE won easily. It's more compatible - you can use more different data sources/stores etc. and it's much more scalable. Clustering and load balancing between different servers is a big deal for us - that seems to be nightmarish on php but there are lots of really useful tools built for use in J2EE environments.

We'll probably go with Apache/Tomcat/Geronimo/Eclipse

Nav
12-06-2005, 13:34:05
LoD, thought so, just Cruddy seemed to be talking about applets so... ;)

LoD
12-06-2005, 23:42:08
Funko: thanks :beer:. Which reminds me, I need to do some more research into J2EE ;).
BTW, I've heard the the new version of NETBeans is much better for web applications then Eclipse, so you might want to try that out.

Funko
13-06-2005, 09:09:11
Yeah, fair point. Eclipse has some really useful IBM/Domino specific plugins. The IBM Websphere Applications Developer is based on Eclipse. We might actually use the websphere developer as the development environment..

LoD
14-06-2005, 01:14:01
A propos, any experience with the UML tool for Eclipse?