PDA

View Full Version : Predict my first fiction sale!

Kory
08-06-2005, 23:12:23
I will personally send a copy of the printed material to the closest guesser, unless I get web-published, in which case you're out of luck. :)

Funko
08-06-2005, 23:42:43
12th november 2005

jsorense
08-06-2005, 23:48:36
What do we win if we guess right?

JM^3
08-06-2005, 23:50:18
19th of Sept

JM

Greg W
09-06-2005, 01:15:47
15th August 2005

chagarra
09-06-2005, 02:51:15
August 1st.

jsorense
09-06-2005, 02:56:20
What can I say, I like Holloween. :)

Kory
09-06-2005, 17:17:16
I'm curious. The three people who picked 'Never' -- you do realize that I've had non-fiction published, right?

-- Kory (Well, whatever.)

alsieboo
09-06-2005, 18:24:51
27th Nov, purely selfish reasons :D

The Shaker
09-06-2005, 19:49:11
20 september.

Venom
09-06-2005, 20:17:41
Later.

Lazarus and the Gimp
09-06-2005, 21:38:46
How much hot sex is in them?

Kory
10-06-2005, 00:20:34
So far, there is nothing with sex, I'm afraid. I gave up writing erotica years ago.

There is a sex scene in the second book but it's very brief and anyhow I'm not shopping that around yet. :)

-- Kory (Rather have sex than write about it.)

protein
10-06-2005, 00:56:26
When, will I, will I be famous? I can't answer that. I can't answer that. When, will I, get my picture in the papers? I can't answer that, I can't answer that. Groeer.

King_Ghidra
10-06-2005, 09:39:30
Originally posted by Kory
I'm curious. The three people who picked 'Never' -- you do realize that I've had non-fiction published, right?

-- Kory (Well, whatever.)

5 people now :cute:

and hey if you don't want to hear the answer don't ask the question

Kory
10-06-2005, 14:30:14
Wow, did the words "I didn't want to hear the answer" come out of my fingers while I wasn't looking?

No. That post was basically a code phrase for "Boy, are you guys morons who I'm going to laugh at when I cash my first check for my first fiction sale."

-- Kory (Also my second, and third, and fourth, etc.)

novacane
10-06-2005, 14:37:49
Looks like its gone to your head already

protein
10-06-2005, 14:37:50
and boy are you all going to be jealous when I get an oscar for best music on a martial arts film.

Kory
10-06-2005, 15:27:55
So sorry to have self-confidence.

Wait. No, I'm not. :)

-- Kory (Y'all mock all you want.)

protein
10-06-2005, 16:00:28
i'm not mocking

Japher
10-06-2005, 16:27:10

"Predict my first fiction sale!" - I think you just did;) Assuming someone believed that lie!!:lol:

The Higgelhoff
10-06-2005, 17:55:14
Wow, did the words "I didn't want to hear the answer" come out of my fingers while I wasn't looking?

No. That post was basically a code phrase for "Boy, are you guys morons who I'm going to laugh at when I cash my first check for my first fiction sale."

-- Kory (Also my second, and third, and fourth, etc.)

Just because it's published doesn't mean it's good.

I wrote a play once that got put on in the contact theatre in Manchester, then toured the UK. I sold te rights to a Liverpool based theatre soon after. It was a apile of shit that I wrote in 3 hours.

Kory
10-06-2005, 18:06:34
Japher, you want me to send you copies of the magazines? I'm sure I can get some extras; the managing editor lives in the same city as I do. newWitch magazine, if you're curious.

TH: But we're not predicting whether or not anyone but the editor will like it. Just when I'm going to sell it. :)

-- Kory (Which reminds me, I have to go fill out my form for about.com for the book reviews I'm going to do for them...)

Japher
10-06-2005, 21:54:51
oooh, I bet if I keep pushing that button I'd put you back in the hospital;)

I believe you, I'm just being stupid.

New Witch? What are you, wiccan?

Kory
11-06-2005, 07:00:59
Nope, I'm not Wiccan. I just will review books for anyone. :)

Which is kind of funny, considering how much I hated doing book reports in school.

-- Kory (Of course, they didn't pay me to do book reports in school...)

The Norks
11-06-2005, 17:03:01
Its not *that* hard to get a book review published or to get published on the web (Funko has had loads of music reviews published on the web and I don't think he struggled for years as a jobbing journo), its very hard to get modern fiction published, unless you go the vanity route or woman's own route.

That's not to say you can't/won't do it of course, but plenty of people better than you will have fallen by the wayside. A lot of it is down to luck, meeting the right people, being in the right place at the right time, although as they say, if you keep trying your 'luck' improves. Statistically though I would say your chances are 'never' as thats how it is for most writers, but it will also depend on your chosen genre, style and persistence (you certainly seem persistent) as to your chances.

Of course you know all this. :)

The Norks
12-06-2005, 01:41:36
Originally posted by Japher
oooh, I bet if I keep pushing that button I'd put you back in the hospital;)

I believe you, I'm just being stupid.

New Witch? What are you, wiccan?

not all witches are wiccan you know- wicca is a neo pagan religion that incorporates ceremonial magic, witchcraft is a non-religious practice.

DevilsH@lo
12-06-2005, 01:51:09
Ahhhhhhh a good old ego massaging thread!!!!

I personally don't give a flying fuck when/if you get published although the "don't give a flying fuck" option wasn't listed in the poll.

Wouldn't this question be better aimed at your significant other or maybe your therapist????

Kory
12-06-2005, 04:13:04
I'm sorry you're too stupid to understand 'other' could include "don't give a flying fuck", DH.

Perhaps you could spend some more time posting really meaningful posts and show us how it's done, though. I know the main forum is full of many such meaningful threads, such as the one you recently participated in about blow jobs -- with a joke that was old when England was founded, and as stale as the smegma you lick nightly from your hand.

-- Kory (Now forcing people to read her threads for 5 years and counting!)

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-06-2005, 10:21:19
Originally posted by DevilsH@lo
Ahhhhhhh a good old ego massaging thread!!!!

I personally don't give a flying fuck when/if you get published although the "don't give a flying fuck" option wasn't listed in the poll.

Wouldn't this question be better aimed at your significant other or maybe your therapist????

That was unnecessary. If I ever look like getting my monster published I'd post here about it too.

DevilsH@lo
12-06-2005, 14:45:29
I'm sorry you're too stupid to understand 'other' could include "don't give a flying fuck", DH.

Perhaps you could spend some more time posting really meaningful posts and show us how it's done, though. I know the main forum is full of many such meaningful threads, such as the one you recently participated in about blow jobs -- with a joke that was old when England was founded, and as stale as the smegma you lick nightly from your hand.

-- Kory (Now forcing people to read her threads for 5 years and counting!)

Yes very very stupid, so stupid infact that i feel the need to cry out for acceptance and worthiness on an internet forum.

I didn't realise there was a no non-meaningful threads clause attached to this forum, are you sure it exists??? Or is this another case of you're deluded psyche telling you that you must be right because the odds on you being wrong in your own little world are absolutely zero.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-06-2005, 14:49:33
Do men get PMS?

DevilsH@lo
12-06-2005, 14:49:40
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
That was unnecessary. If I ever look like getting my monster published I'd post here about it too.

Perhaps a little unnecessary Laz, but, and im making an assumption here, you would post when you were part way down the road to having your book published, not when you believe the members of this forum think you are worthy of being published.

The difference is one is news, one is egotistical.

And kory obviously wanted opinions or the thread wouldn't be here, all i did was post mine.

As KG said "if you don't wanna know, don't ask."

DevilsH@lo
12-06-2005, 14:50:31
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Do men get PMS?

Ask AH/SS/TN mate, she goes on about moon cycles affecting men and the like.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-06-2005, 14:53:14
Originally posted by DevilsH@lo
Perhaps a little unnecessary Laz, but, and im making an assumption here, you would post when you were part way down the road to having your book published, not when you believe the members of this forum think you are worthy of being published.

The difference is one is news, one is egotistical.

I already know they think I'm worthy of publication, and anyone arguing the point is a fool and a communist.

DevilsH@lo
12-06-2005, 14:54:15
:lol:

Kory
12-06-2005, 19:58:19
DH: Oh, yes, that's right, ALL MY SELF WORTH is tied up in the Counterglow people's opinions on when I'm going to get published. Why, without your attentions, I would wither and die, which is why I sometimes spend months without dropping by.

You fucking dolt.

It was for the fun of it. I'm excited over the prospect of being published, and I can tell that I'm getting close.

You get a lot of exercise jumping to conclusions?

-- Kory (PS: I am partway down the road to being published. That's what rejections that read "send this to our sister publication" and "send us something else" mean.)

The Norks
13-06-2005, 02:55:28
hang on- a rejection is a rejection, no matter how encouraging....surely to be considered partway to being published, you should have an actual contract in your grubby mitt?

Sir Penguin
13-06-2005, 03:02:07
No, that would be "all the way" to being published.

SP

Kory
13-06-2005, 04:51:11
What SP said.

See, rejections come in many styles. There's the old form rejection, which could mean anything from "you totally suck" to "we get 1000 submissions a week and don't have time to tell you what we didn't like." There's phrases like "not right for us" which usually mean "I didn't like it" or "there was some flaw I don't have time to go into". Moving up from there, you get things like "characters were one-dimensional" or "not enough action" or "ending was unbelievable" -- a quick sentence or two telling you why the editor turned it down, which means you're probably writing reasonably well but either not quite matching your stories to the right places or not quite hitting the peak of your ability.

And then there are the things like four paragraphs explaining what the editor liked and didn't like. This generally means you've written a good story overall; for an editor to take the time to tell you in detail what worked and didn't, they had to have thought you (or the story) had some promise.

And then there's "not quite right for us, but I suggest our sister publication" and "please submit again". Which is where I am, after my last one being the aforementioned 4-paragraph reject.

That would be 'almost published'. That would be "I'm writing well enough for someone to pay attention, and maybe even well enough to get this same story placed somewhere else where it's more to someone's taste".

Which is why the two stories in question are now out at other places, and why I think one of them will be the first sale, even if it takes a couple more submissions each to get them placed.

-- Kory (Really, not pulling this shit out of my ass.)

The Higgelhoff
13-06-2005, 11:17:47
Never is in the lead with 7 votes.

Funko
13-06-2005, 11:52:01
Surely even if you think it's never you should vote for a date on the off chance you might win something.

:hmm:

King_Ghidra
13-06-2005, 12:00:00
clearly the prize wasn't enough of a lure

The Higgelhoff
13-06-2005, 13:13:54
Unfortunately the last book I read was Mankind's Autobiography when I was 14 years old.

I love reading books, but I just find I don't have the time. When I commute in the morning (approx 45 mins) I just read The Times.

King_Ghidra
13-06-2005, 13:31:48
is it possible to claim that you really love reading books when you haven't done it for x years?

put the times down and pick a book up man! my train journey is like 15 mins each way and i got through war and peace (over several months :D )

The Norks
13-06-2005, 15:11:37
I find it really hard to accept new books. I get very hooked on one and then I'm on the rebound for two years. I'm a terrible person for part reading or skimming as well.

Cruddy
19-06-2005, 03:17:28
No idea Kory. But even if it doesn't happen for another decade, never give up.

"You've got to have a dream
You've got to have a dream
Else how you gonna have a dream
Come true?"

Getting non-fiction published is a good start.

I'm still umming and ahhing over what genre I want to start writing in - only thing I really know much about is contemporary subculture and computers...

...so contempory cyberpunk is about it, I think.