PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X anybody?

Cruddy
07-06-2005, 23:14:27
Apparently Apple plan to release Mac OSX for Intel computers next year.

Anybody care? Or do you all want to carry Bill Gates' children?

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2438

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2439

Asher
08-06-2005, 01:05:15
Not so much releasing MacOS X for Intel computers...

MacOS X will only work on Apple computers, which will happen to transition to the Intel chips.

You won't be able to buy MacOS X then come install it on your PC. Needs to be an Apple machine.

Asher
08-06-2005, 01:05:45
On the other hand, Apple users can now dual-boot Windows and OS X.

Cruddy
08-06-2005, 01:19:51
Originally posted by Asher
Not so much releasing MacOS X for Intel computers...

You won't be able to buy MacOS X then come install it on your PC. Needs to be an Apple machine.

Who said buy? Probably be a dozen cracks for it within a month of release.

What's interesting is that Apple have been at this for the last 5 years - OS 9 and earlier won't be compliant, but the most recent Mac applications should be x86 compliant.

They might well be forced to sell it as a standard alone release or start prosecuting former customers - not good for public relations.

Asher
08-06-2005, 01:26:08
I'm sure you'll be able to crack it, and I'm also sure it'll be almost useless because you won't be able to find a driver for your motherboard/sound card/video card/network card that will run on MacOS X x86...

Cruddy
08-06-2005, 10:44:01
So, a bit like XP 64 then - looks lovely but can you get drivers for it? ;)

I think plenty of cards etc will get drivers, but you're right - the sticking point will be the motherboard drivers.

Mind you, could be a loophole here - Apple ain't gonna use AMD64 so maybe AMD64 board makers might see a margin in releasing Mac OSX compliant drivers.

It's not like Apple could complain, because the boards aren't directly comparable to Apple's products.

Asher
08-06-2005, 21:01:41
AMD64 = x86-64, Intel uses it too.

Debaser
09-06-2005, 12:40:10
What the hell are you guys talking about? Apple's used to (and currently) use chips made by IBM. IBM so far can't produce some chip to Apples desired specs small enough to fit in a G5 laptop without overheating, so Apple have asked Intel to make their chips from now on. That's it. No OSX for intel PCs etc...

Asher
09-06-2005, 15:58:52
That's exactly what I'm talking about.

It'll only be for Apple-manufactured computers.

And it's not an issue of IBM can't, it's IBM won't. IBM doesn't have its own market for laptop chips and Apple isn't large enough -- no incentive to develop the chip.

No longer Trippin
14-06-2005, 13:02:36
Don't forget Job's incessant bitching. IBM doesn't need that for all of what, 2% of Fishkill's capacity during Apple's biggest orders? I don't think so.