PDA

View Full Version : Save Wentwood Forest!


MOBIUS
07-06-2005, 18:58:34
Help us to save the largest ancient woodland in Wales

Wentwood Forest, near Newport in South Wales, is the remnant of a vast woodland that once stretched from the river Usk in south Wales to the Wye Valley. As well as being the largest ancient woodland in Wales, itís also one of the largest ancient woodland sites in the UK.

This special ancient woodland is part of our natural and cultural heritage, and itís under threat. Unless the Trust acts now then the remaining fragments of rare ancient woodland will be destroyed by further commercial forestry. To safeguard its future and to restore the site to its former glory the Trust wants to purchase 352 hectares (870 acres) which have come on the market.

Rest of Woodland Trust article HERE (http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/appeals/index.htm)

This is something where we can make a difference by preserving a remnant of ancient woodland for future generations, and something I feel strongly about - hence I have just donated £20...

Even if you're not interested in this - please pass it on to any treehuggers you know!

mr.G
07-06-2005, 19:05:37
why?

jsorense
07-06-2005, 19:17:40
Looks to me that you have a lot of wasted quality wood pulp standing there getting in the way of the views of the slag heaps.:coolgrin:

MOBIUS
07-06-2005, 21:18:18
Originally posted by mr.G
why?

Because otherwise we'll look like Holland - flat and boring and overcrowded...:gasmaske:

Sweeper
07-06-2005, 22:49:48
£10

Cruddy
07-06-2005, 23:00:52
I'm English, this is a Welsh forest.

If the Welsh want to cut down their forests, who am I to argue?

Sweeper
07-06-2005, 23:05:54
The English have a fine tradition of interfering in welsh business. Why stop now?

The Norks
08-06-2005, 00:49:43
The Welsh are the Queen's subject's, lets ask her what she thinks.

Cruddy
08-06-2005, 01:03:43
Queen? Think?

Shaking hands and waving, fair enough... but I don't recall anyone asking her what her thoughts were.

Most likely she'd just forward it to the regional assembly.

Rothy
08-06-2005, 07:26:29
Originally posted by Sweeper
The English have a fine tradition of interfering in welsh business. Why stop now?

I think we that we might actually help the people of wales if we did what you wanted here..

sexylady
08-06-2005, 08:44:19
Originally posted by MOBIUS
Rest of Woodland Trust article HERE (http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/appeals/index.htm)

This is something where we can make a difference by preserving a remnant of ancient woodland for future generations, and something I feel strongly about - hence I have just donated £20...

Even if you're not interested in this - please pass it on to any treehuggers you know!

yeah, trees is a big help and we have to preserve it. if we cut trees, we have to plant another so that the forest will not be bald :cute: :) ;)

MOBIUS
08-06-2005, 08:53:11
Originally posted by Cruddy
I'm English, this is a Welsh forest.

If the Welsh want to cut down their forests, who am I to argue?

Well given the way the English have raped Wales' natural resources, shouldn't you give a little something back?

Besides, it's more than likely it will end up being the English who end up cutting down this forest if the appeal is unsuccessful...

MOBIUS
08-06-2005, 08:57:58
Originally posted by sexylady
yeah, trees is a big help and we have to preserve it. if we cut trees, we have to plant another so that the forest will not be bald :cute: :) ;)

The point is that if these are cut down, a whole fragile ecosystem hundreds or thousands of years old is lost - it is not just the trees.

Also it is not as simple as replacing these trees with conifers you essentially kill the land, they are like ecological deserts on the land...

Funko
08-06-2005, 08:58:30
Originally posted by Cruddy
I'm English, this is a Welsh forest.

If the Welsh want to cut down their forests, who am I to argue?

If you're English that means you are in charge of them so they have to ask your permission to do anything. :rolleyes:

Cruddy
08-06-2005, 10:46:17
"Come home to a real fire... buy a cottage in Wales."

EDIT: I'd actually like to help on this... but if 3 million Welsh can't do it, I can't really see me making much difference.

It's not like there are no ancient woodland sites in my country.

Oerdin
08-06-2005, 11:38:03
Damn it! What about my little paper umbrella s for my drink? Somebody's forest needs to die so I can have a paper umbrella in my drink. :p

Rodgers
08-06-2005, 12:06:11
I thought the English had raped the natural resources of Scotland rather than Wales.

Anyway, I was walking through the Wye valley month ago and there are some nice woodlands there. They should save this one too.