PDA

View Full Version : Who said only women are allowed to change their minds?

Spartak
03-06-2005, 17:47:25
Well, its like this. After I turned down Shanghai and accepted Beijing, I was asked whether I would take Copenhagen. Initially the answer was no, but having done some research and discovered that the job in Copenhagen can be 9-5 and also that I'm in charge of all of scandinavia and the baltics, and then hearing the wince by the Foreign Office doctors about the pollution in Beijing when I mentioned by asthma, I have decided to change my mind and stay with the daytime posters. Highly dissappointing on one hand, but on the other, I'll be in Riga at some point trying to ponce a drink off RC!

Feel free to tell me how awful a decison this is...

A very finely balanced decision but allows me to do my dream job without having to work the vile hours that might otherwise be mandated.

Japher
03-06-2005, 18:09:19
You're such a woman Spartak!

fp
03-06-2005, 18:14:37
Originally posted by Spartak

Feel free to tell me how awful a decison this is...

A very finely balanced decision but allows me to do my dream job without having to work the vile hours that might otherwise be mandated.

Yeah that sounds like a really fucking stupid decision you motherfucking asshat!
:beer:

:cool:

Spartak
03-06-2005, 19:21:01
Thanks.

Lurker the Second
03-06-2005, 19:35:42
Denmark is not as big as the Death Star.

MOBIUS
03-06-2005, 20:05:43
You're a complete and utter muppet - how dare you decide to work in one of the coolest European cities I've visited...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That and the fact that it seems highly likely you'll be doing loads of travel around the Baltics - you utter fool!:shoot:

Lazarus and the Gimp
03-06-2005, 20:25:38
Denmark is supposed to be a pretty groovy place.

Spartak
03-06-2005, 20:34:20
Well, I think the comment is total lucky bastard.

Japher
03-06-2005, 21:00:36
Copenhagen? Is that were they make chew?

I hope you can "cope en Hagen":lol:

O-k, I'm a retard.

Beta1
03-06-2005, 21:41:27
nice one! :beer:

Venom
03-06-2005, 21:50:57
Some pieces of shit have all the luck.

Japher
03-06-2005, 21:53:12
Some pieces of shit have all the luck.

Provost Harrison
03-06-2005, 22:18:04
Just think of it this way Spartak...how many Danish take-aways do you eat, or how often do you go to Denmarktown? Deary me :p

alsieboo
03-06-2005, 22:23:57
I suppose you'll be too busy to come out because you're washing your hair next :cute: :p

Japher
03-06-2005, 22:30:34
Copafeelen is in Daneland?!

Dude, does it cold there?

Spartak
03-06-2005, 22:36:23
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Just think of it this way Spartak...how many Danish take-aways do you eat, or how often do you go to Denmarktown? Deary me :p I can't eat much chinese stuff anyway because of the soysauce and I really didn't want to spend 3 years using a steroid inhaler whihc kind of clinched the decision.

This is a much better job than the other one but usually the hours are crutal. In this case, they are 9-5 and lots of travel round scandinavia and the baltics.

Spartak
03-06-2005, 22:38:40
Originally posted by alsieboo
I suppose you'll be too busy to come out because you're washing your hair next :cute: :p No, childcare issues have always been the problem and I'm not agin getting to a meet. I'm just agin dumping on my Mrs.

Spartak
03-06-2005, 22:42:35
Originally posted by Japher
O-k, I'm a retard. :eek: :lol:

The Norks
03-06-2005, 23:04:10
I can't eat much chinese stuff anyway because of the soysauce and I really didn't want to spend 3 years using a steroid inhaler whihc kind of clinched the decision.

This is a much better job than the other one but usually the hours are crutal. In this case, they are 9-5 and lots of travel round scandinavia and the baltics.

Here are some reasons why you made the right decision:

Danes have the highest quality of life in Europe
They are all gorgeous with perfect bone structure
They drink like fish but dont tend to get violent and wasted
Denmark is about the size of Wales and has only 5 million inhabitants and little immigration so its a pretty close and homogenous community even now, and has little social unrest
There is an incredibly low crime rate
Danish is very close to ENglish in its construction (Vikings you see)
Danes are unusually pleasant and their biggest aim in life is to be/have/make everything 'hyggelig' which translates approximately as warmth/cosiness/happiness
Its flat as a pancake so you dont have to climb any mountains
it has beautiful summers
it has Roskilde, a festival comparable to Reading
By law there is a library in every town and Danes read more than any other European nation.
Its Hans Christian Andersen's bicentennial currently
Their Royalty are actually quite cool and marry Aussies and cycle around etc. Queen Margrethe has written plays for Danish TV (Danes DO NOT slag off their royalty like we do, and you'll get short shrift if you do).
Danes have a pagan/bohemian approach to many things and don't get all hung up on morality
They are VERY open about sex, even with their parents. Oh yes.
Danes cycle everywhere and are incredibly 'green'
Danes all speak ENglish incredibly well, and with a Yank accent no less, especially Danish yoof.
Danes have a thriving rock/social scene
Wonderful wonderful Copenhagen!
Its bang next to Sweden!

Downsides:
If you don't like pickled herrings (sild- also slang for a woman, like bird in ENglish) on rye bread, or hot dogs with sauces and pickles you're screwed!
Good luck with the accent & glottal stop (try speaking German with a French accent in Newcastle while drunk)
Denmark is hella expensive!
Slightly longer alphabet
Alcoholism and suicide rates are high as with most Northern countries

Personally I would jump at the chance of working in Denmark and I am sooooo jealous!! If you can master the language (not as hard as people make out) you'll be laughing.

Held og lykke!

Spartak
03-06-2005, 23:16:59
I learned Russian without ever doing the phonetics course you are supposed to start with, so my accent is atrocious but Russians still understand me. I'm keen to learn a few basics - of onmly hello and goodby and where is the gluten free aisle. But realistically I won't have ahope in hell in learning it fluently.

In Russia I had the advantage if interviewing for 6-7 hours a day with questions and answers repeated in both languaged by myself and the interpreter. In this job everyone I need to deal with already speaks good English. Oh well, never mind.

Venom
04-06-2005, 00:55:25
If they're so god damn perfect then why are they killing themselves so much?

mr.G
04-06-2005, 01:00:28
huh
did some strange things didnīt you

protein
04-06-2005, 01:11:35

Good decision.

The Norks
04-06-2005, 01:31:12
I learned Russian without ever doing the phonetics course you are supposed to start with, so my accent is atrocious but Russians still understand me. I'm keen to learn a few basics - of onmly hello and goodby and where is the gluten free aisle. But realistically I won't have ahope in hell in learning it fluently.

In Russia I had the advantage if interviewing for 6-7 hours a day with questions and answers repeated in both languaged by myself and the interpreter. In this job everyone I need to deal with already speaks good English. Oh well, never mind.

lol you cant do dansk without the accent- trust me on this one! Its a bit like English in that many words have totally irregular pronunciations and many of the sounds dont even exist in an english dialect. liverpudlian/geordie is about as close as we get. Once you get the hang of it, its very easy, and they run courses there as they are keen to have people learn their language (added bonus is that danes adore anyone who bothers to even try). I had a very good teacher but there are some good tape/book courses (only two exist in the uk).

I can help you a bit with the language...

hej (pronouced hi) = Hi
hej hej = bye
farvel= farewell
tak= thanks (tusind tak - thousand thanks) danes have no word for please so they say thanks after everything
har du et godt idag? = how are you today?
jeg har det godt idag, tak = I'm good thanks.
for helvede! = bloody hell!

I guarantee you that if you have never heard a danish accent, you will be reading these words wrong lol. Its not phonetic. A good place to hang out, learn and meet people is on jubii.dk which is danish lycos chat, and everyone on there loves the english and will help you no end (seriously) although for the accent you need a tape or teacher. Its a gorgeous little language though, no back to front constructions, nowhere near as many words as we have, and you learn loads about the etymology of English words and where the Geordie/Yorkie accents originated. You will also understand most Norwegian and Swedish if you learn danish.

This looks like a good and free online course, but the tapes I used are available on Amazon

http://www.speakdanish.dk/

The Norks
04-06-2005, 01:33:08
oh and beer is ol, but with a strike through the o and pronounced more like ul (where we get ale from)
skol = cheers!

The Norks
04-06-2005, 01:37:02
Originally posted by Venom
If they're so god damn perfect then why are they killing themselves so much?

lack of daylight in winter

Greg W
04-06-2005, 04:41:17
and lack of darkness in summer...

Venom
04-06-2005, 05:13:44
Thems the breaks. Whiney bitches.

Spartak
04-06-2005, 10:13:07
Originally posted by The Norks
lol you cant do dansk without the accent- trust me on this one! Its a bit like English in that many words have totally irregular pronunciations and many of the sounds dont even exist in an english dialect. liverpudlian/geordie is about as close as we get. Once you get the hang of it, its very easy, and they run courses there as they are keen to have people learn their language (added bonus is that danes adore anyone who bothers to even try). I had a very good teacher but there are some good tape/book courses (only two exist in the uk).

I can help you a bit with the language...

hej (pronouced hi) = Hi
hej hej = bye
farvel= farewell
tak= thanks (tusind tak - thousand thanks) danes have no word for please so they say thanks after everything
har du et godt idag? = how are you today?
jeg har det godt idag, tak = I'm good thanks.
for helvede! = bloody hell!

I guarantee you that if you have never heard a danish accent, you will be reading these words wrong lol. Its not phonetic. A good place to hang out, learn and meet people is on jubii.dk which is danish lycos chat, and everyone on there loves the english and will help you no end (seriously) although for the accent you need a tape or teacher. Its a gorgeous little language though, no back to front constructions, nowhere near as many words as we have, and you learn loads about the etymology of English words and where the Geordie/Yorkie accents originated. You will also understand most Norwegian and Swedish if you learn danish.

This looks like a good and free online course, but the tapes I used are available on Amazon

http://www.speakdanish.dk/ Thanks. The Embassy have a teacher and I'll be signing on with them. Where does your knowledge of Danish come from?

Greg W
04-06-2005, 11:24:16
An ex no doubt. ;)

Spartak
04-06-2005, 11:57:51
Perhaps.

Chris
04-06-2005, 13:21:38
China is cool, Copenhagen is gay.

So obviously, you made the correct choice.

The Norks
04-06-2005, 13:49:02
Thanks. The Embassy have a teacher and I'll be signing on with them. Where does your knowledge of Danish come from?

its a long story, but basically I learnt Danish for kicks. I learnt with an English guy who had lived there for 7 years and was fluent, met loads of local Danes over here etc. We had a Danish Christmas and stuff. It was fun. The irony is that I finally booked a holiday out there and was going to meet up with some people, and then I lost my job and had to cancel it and the lessons eventually too as it took me 6 months to find my current job. I still keep in touch with some poeple although my language has dwindled a bit. I would have liked to have worked out there for a bit, but i met DH and stuff, so it wasnt to be.

btw there's a really good book called 'live and work in Scandinavia' which gives you some excellent info on the culture, set up and rules and regs of denmark, sweden and norway.

I will go there one day I hope!!

DaShi
04-06-2005, 15:02:08
You suck Spartak! I shall never forgive you! :cry:

Good luck and all!

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
04-06-2005, 15:59:58
Good luck with the accent & glottal stop (try speaking German with a French accent in Newcastle while drunk)

Slightly longer alphabet

Personally I would jump at the chance of working in Denmark and I am sooooo jealous!! If you can master the language (not as hard as people make out) you'll be laughing.

Held og lykke!

These are downsides, compared against learning Mandarin Chinese?!? :eek:

Spartak
04-06-2005, 17:09:45
:lol:

The Norks
04-06-2005, 22:52:16
Danish is the hardest language to learn after japanese. Having said that I was my teachers star pupil as i picked it up really quickly and had an apparently excellent accent. He got me to do the toast at the christmas dinner.

Can't speak French or German, but take to Danish like a duck to water. Go figure :rolleyes:

I think I was a Viking in a previous life! (In fact I went to the Jorvik centre not long after, and i could understand what the animated models were saying, which was nice...)

Shining1
05-06-2005, 02:21:25
YOOOOO-HOOOOOO!!

Good on ya Spartak. =)

MRT144
05-06-2005, 03:31:40
I can't eat much chinese stuff anyway because of the soysauce and I really didn't want to spend 3 years using a steroid inhaler whihc kind of clinched the decision.

chinese people dont use soy sauce as much as youd think

Oerdin
05-06-2005, 06:31:37
How can someone be allergic to soy sauce? I thought gluten was found in grains while soy is a bean.

Spartak
05-06-2005, 07:14:52
Most Soy Sauce is made from a mixture of wheat and soya.

I know that there isn't that much in real Chinese food.

The Norks
05-06-2005, 12:51:54
Most Soy Sauce is made from a mixture of wheat and soya.

I know that there isn't that much in real Chinese food.

next you'll be telling us that crispy seaweed is actually made from cabbage... :rolleyes: :D

Greg W
05-06-2005, 12:54:03
You know, back in primary school I remember someone telling me that a spunk was a dried up cabbage leaf.

Which is of no use to anyone, but should be mentioned anyway.

Spartak
05-06-2005, 19:10:15
Originally posted by DaShi
You suck Spartak! I shall never forgive you! :cry:

Good luck and all! Sorry Dashi but after having pnumonia and suffering from Asthma I couldn't face being on steriods for 3 years.

Tizzy
05-06-2005, 21:03:29
Good luck with it Spartak, sounds like a good choice :beer:

Spartak
05-06-2005, 21:06:40
Thanks.

Funko
05-06-2005, 23:21:43
Sounds like a much better choice I think.

Apparently they have excellent beer that you won't be able to drink. :(

Spartak
05-06-2005, 23:28:19
next you'll be telling us that crispy seaweed is actually made from cabbage... :rolleyes: :D OG at at least Oerdin didn't know.

Spartak
05-06-2005, 23:29:13
Originally posted by Funko
Sounds like a much better choice I think.

Apparently they have excellent beer that you won't be able to drink. :( :lol: Yeah but since I'm pretty teetotal these days I don't think it matters anymore.

Funko
05-06-2005, 23:37:02
Oooh. I rhymed!

Spartak
05-06-2005, 23:37:49
A poet who didn't know it!

Mr. Bas
07-06-2005, 09:22:03
Copenhagen is a really, really cool city, so congrats with your decision. :beer:

Spartak
07-06-2005, 09:54:23
thank you.