PDA

View Full Version : Safest ever cheese race

Lazarus and the Gimp
31-05-2005, 20:23:10
Only three people hospitalised this year! The sport's really going downhill these days.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1495690,00.html

Following a patently ridiculous but 200-year-old tradition, dozens of people put their safety at risk yesterday in Gloucestershire to chase cheese down a 1-in-2 incline.

Watched by at least 4,000 spectators, contestants gathered on Cooper's Hill, in Brockworth, to chase cheeses downhill for 200m, hoping to emerge victorious and win an 8lb double Gloucester as their reward.

Chris Anderson, the winner of one of four races, was taken to hospital clutching his prize cheese to his chest after he sprained his ankle.
Anderson, a 17-year-old window fitter, believed the prize worth the pain, although he did not intend to eat the cheese.

As he was stretchered away, he said: "I went over on my ankle right at the top of the hill. This cheese is going straight in a cupboard when I get home. It's definitely not for eating."

Despite Mr Anderson's injuries, organisers yesterday said they were delighted that more people had not come to harm. Only three people were taken to hospital this year.

Jim Jones, of St John Ambulance said: "There's been a lot less injuries than we'd normally expect. Two people have been taken to hospital with suspected fractured ankles and one person was taken with a suspected fractured arm."

The organiser, Richard Jefferies, added: "It was a very good day and went very smoothly. There were a lot less casualties than normal. It is a good part of the local heritage and a tradition we would like to keep going."

And check this out....

But not everyone was happy with proceedings. Vegans branded the event "unethical" and said the cheese should be replaced with a non-dairy alternative.

Yvonne Taylor, chair of the animal rights campaign group Peta, said: "It's just not fair that vegans cannot enjoy the fun of the cheese rolling contest."

I say they use a lamb's head next time.

Japher
31-05-2005, 20:35:01
Someone's always got to protest...

Was there a counter protest?

MOBIUS
31-05-2005, 20:42:56
I thought about entering this, but couldn't be bothered...

Maybe next year!:)

Funko
31-05-2005, 20:45:20
Vegans. :lol:

Venom
31-05-2005, 20:57:19
I remember when hundreds would die during the races and cheese ruled the country side.

Beta1
31-05-2005, 21:07:48
non dairy products? Not a chance, the physics are all wrong. Far too bouncy and likely to deform in an impact. Has to be a double gloucester , unless the hill is less than 1 in 3 when a wensleydale is a acceptable alternative. The dutch would have you believe edam is the way forward but the spherical form, while better for rolling, takes all the skill out of the sport.

Lazarus and the Gimp
31-05-2005, 21:12:05
Wensleydale is too crumbly.

You can't use Cheddar, because Cheddar has its own race. Every year a Cheddar is dropped down Cheddar Gorge, and people chase it down the 500 foot sheer drop. The fatality rate is just under 100%.

Lurker the Second
31-05-2005, 21:17:20
Mmmmm, cheeese.

The Norks
31-05-2005, 21:23:08
how can it not be fucking fair that vegans can't join in?????they made that choice, they weren't banned for being tofu eating wimps! In that case I think its really unfair that I can't go to playschool because I didnt have kids, or I can't fly to the moon because I didnt take astronaut lessons. TWATS. why don't they have their own cabbage rolling contest or something? They'd probably all collapse after three metres due to lack of energy, thats why.

Provost Harrison
31-05-2005, 23:44:48
WHAT DOES HE MEAN HE ISN'T GOING TO EAT THE CHEESE?! PURE SACRILEGE!!!

I love that vegan protest...talk about fucking ridiculous :lol:

Cruddy
01-06-2005, 00:58:59
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
You can't use Cheddar, because Cheddar has its own race. Every year a Cheddar is dropped down Cheddar Gorge, and people chase it down the 500 foot sheer drop. The fatality rate is just under 100%.

The smart people just wait at the bottom and catch it. Survival of the fittest etc...

I don't know, I reckon you could use a Wensleydale if it was still in the original packaging. Although Yorkshire dales, being glacial in origin, are a lot steeper than Gloucestershire hillsides.

Provost Harrison
01-06-2005, 01:00:05
Yeah, but Yorkshiremen are much harder than those South-Western pansies...no problem :D

Cruddy
01-06-2005, 01:06:00
That's what Yorkshire people say, for sure...

...then again, a lot more drystone walls in Yorkshire - could be tricky finding a spot with a decent downhill run.

self biased
01-06-2005, 07:43:14
gloustershire! that's where my friend tefnut's from. i'll have to ask her about the cheeserolling the next time she's camwhoring for me.

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-06-2005, 09:21:02
Originally posted by Cruddy
The smart people just wait at the bottom and catch it. Survival of the fittest etc...

I'm not sure I'd attempt to catch an eight-pound cheese, falling down a 500 foot sheer drop. I imagine the rind could fuction as a crude form of shrapnel.

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-06-2005, 09:23:04
Originally posted by self biased
gloustershire! that's where my friend tefnut's from. i'll have to ask her about the cheeserolling the next time she's camwhoring for me.

It's not that far up the road from me. By now you'll have worked out that the West Country is a deeply odd place.

Spartak
01-06-2005, 09:42:55
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
I'm not sure I'd attempt to catch an eight-pound cheese, falling down a 500 foot sheer drop. I imagine the rind could fuction as a crude form of shrapnel. :lol:

Provost Harrison
01-06-2005, 11:12:47
Tefnut?!

sexylady
01-06-2005, 11:21:32
cheese :) i love cheese yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :bounce:

self biased
01-06-2005, 17:21:50
it's her online moniker, PH. unless you know a girl of dubious morality that does some goth and fetish modeling on the side...

The Norks
01-06-2005, 20:27:45
*cough* allie *cough**cough*