PDA

View Full Version : Leaving forever.

Oerdin
28-05-2005, 12:58:18
Tomorrow at midnight I'm catching a plane for a week of fun in the sun. I'll see you all when I get back. Please don't let Venom shoot any of the new posters.:cute:

sexylady
28-05-2005, 13:43:19
have fun and enjoy :)

Provost Harrison
28-05-2005, 13:49:06
Lucky git :p

Oerdin
28-05-2005, 14:06:43
I just figured out US$1=474 Costa Rican Colones. I've never even known there was such a currency as a colones.

Spartak
28-05-2005, 14:47:08
Sure its cojones?

Oerdin
28-05-2005, 16:48:18
You sure would need cojones to accept payment in colones.

Japher
28-05-2005, 16:51:19
Have fun down there, don't sell a kidney even though it may be tempting.

jsorense
28-05-2005, 17:47:19
Hasta luego.
:cervazas::ron:
BTW, Costa Rica makes some mighty fine rum.

Oerdin
28-05-2005, 18:09:03
I'll have to pick up a bottle.

:beer:

Oerdin
28-05-2005, 23:28:26
Well, I should be off in the next 20 minutes or so. I've got to get to LAX and traffic is going to be murder. See you all in a week.

Funko
29-05-2005, 12:28:07
New posters?

Oerdin
01-06-2005, 00:09:34
Own goal. RC's AEs.

Jujst checking in from Costa Rica. Currently I'm slightly sunburned and slightly hung over but I've rarely been so happy.
This place is heaven on Earth and the people are so friendly. Two niughts ago I went swimming in the most elaborate gardens/hot springs I have ever seen then we retired to our private hot tub in our back yard where we watched a volcano erupt. It was breath taken. Today was taken up with horseback riding through the jungle, kayaking to an island off the pacific coast then snorkling on a spactacular coral reef. Tonight is going to be drinking and dace while tomorrow I'll be attempting to surf 30 foot waves at Playa Negra. I have a feeling the waves are going to kick my ass.

I wouldn't miss it for the world. See you all later.

Provost Harrison
01-06-2005, 00:10:58
You're away on holiday in a beautiful sunny place, so you decided to find the nearest seedy and dark internet cafe and post here...GET OUT!

Oerdin
05-06-2005, 06:06:45
I'm back home now but I'm dog tired and I seemed to pick up something of a cold during my last day or two there. Perfect timing though since it was time to go home anyway.

self biased
05-06-2005, 06:53:41
so how was it?

Spartak
05-06-2005, 07:40:48
Did you get laid?

fp
05-06-2005, 11:21:15
If so, how was it?

MDA
05-06-2005, 18:06:22
Originally posted by jsorense
Hasta luego.
:cervazas::ron:
BTW, Costa Rica makes some mighty fine rum.

I asked my parents to bring me back some rum when they went.

I got a bottle of 20 proof Malibu Coconut Rum. :gasmaske:

They get half a point for trying.

Oerdin, pictures, please! :)

Oerdin
05-06-2005, 18:21:14
Costa Rica is an absolutely amazing country and I'd recommend it to anyone. The first day we landed in the capital of San Jose then drove Volcan Arenal National Park were one of the world's most active volcanoes is located along with a series of hot springs which form an entire river whose water is around 105 degrees F.

The Trebicon hot springs were filled with honeymooning couples and it was easy to see why since there were series natural pools, waterfalls, and at least four streams on the 20 acre property. The lush jungle landscaping and the maze of stone lined walking paths made for a series of secluded pools and grottos where couples could be alone or you could hang out in the many large pools (some natural and some man made) where there were both hot and cold waterfalls, a steam filled cave which acted like a sauna, and a cool swim up bar. There was also a great restaurant which served Costa Rican or European food along with miles of trails in the jungle where you could take either guided or unguided tours of the volcano and the surrounding area. That night we went back to our suite at the Lost Iguana resort where we sat in the Jacuzzi in our private backyard and watched the volcano erupt. Watching the lava shoot out of the volcano and seeing the light reflect off of Lake Arenal was just a perfect end to the day.

Next we went to the small beachside town of Tamerindo which was known for massive surf, a huge night life scene, and a total lack of the usual tourist junk shops & places owned by western multinationals. Tamarindo is pretty remote and only the main road is paved but the place was filled with both local surfers and North American kids who wanted to spend the summer surfing in a cheap but fun place. We kayaked out to Isla Capitan off the coast then spent three hours snorkeling on the coral reef. The coral on the Pacific side isn't as colorful as on the Caribbean side but there was still plenty to see including tuna, shrimp, puffer fish (the guide caught one of those and we got to see how the fish inflated itself up), shell cracker shrimp (these shrimp have claws so strong they break the shells of hermit crabs or clams so they can eat the soft creature inside), numerous lobster, and more coral then you could shake a stick at. That night we went out partying at one of the many night clubs (which were mostly filled with western tourists) and got totally drunk. It was kind of annoying that drug dealers kept asking us to buy MJ and cocaine but I guess that's just part of visiting one of these places.

The next day I tried surfing at Playa Negra and got my ass totally kicked by 25 foot waves. I'd never surfed anything that big before and the board was only 9 feet long (I normally use a longer 10 foot board) so I missed the first four sets, caught the fifth set but fell off since the wave was so steep I kind of got nervous, then totally wiped out on the sixth set and ended up breaking the rented board in two. :( That was the end of me trying to surf in Costa Rica and I had to pay a $60 repair fee to fix the broken board. Later that day we all went down to a spa and spent $40 for an hour long deep tissue massage and another $15 for a facial. I had felt tired from all the swimming, walking, kayaking, etc... But the massage really helped and it was about a 1/4 the price it would have cost in the US.

Our next stop was the Monteverde Cloud Forest National Park where some of the best preserved and most extensive cloud forests left in Central America are located. Monteverde is high up in the mountains so it's cooler then on the coast and the amount of wildlife found here is incredible. We had a family of monkeys living right by our cabin and they'd steal things you left on the porch if you weren't careful (one of those bastards stole an open bottle of beer from me then sat in the tree across from me and drank the whole thing). In Monteverde we did a jungle canopy tour where they hook you up to a series of steel cables then slide on a little harness & wheel through the tree tops to get a bird's eye view of the different layers of the jungle. They also had a section where you repelled down a cliff face and another where you did a Tarzan swing on a rope, then it ended with a 700m (!!!!) long zip line across the valley back to our starting point. The canopy tour was awesome. After that we went horse back riding on several private ranches (it was really cool since the fog came in at certain parts but cleared up at other parts) and the horses were very spirited so they'd gallup on command which was great. During the horse back riding we stopped at the farm/ranch were the horses' owner lived where his wife made us mango & milk smoothies (the milk was from the farm's cows), then we he tempted some semi-tame monkeys out of the trees with bits of bread and had the monkeys climb all over us. He told us not to reach out to the monkeys since they'd bit your hand but just to let the monkeys do what ever they want. I was fine with this until one monkey, who'd been sitting on my shoulder, decided to climb into my shirt and just hang out there. I know he was playing but the little guy had some really sharp claws (talk about having a monkey on your back ;) ). Next we got to sample some of the crops growing on the farm like papaya, mangos, sugar cane, corn, saw the live stock (horses, cows, goats, sheep, two pigs, ducks, rabbits, and curiously enough guinea pigs. That night we took a night time guided tour of the jungle and the guild showed us many nocturnal inhabitants of the jungle including a two toed tree sloth, a Kikachue (spelling? It's the size of a large cat but it looks like a cross between a lemur and raccoon but lives in trees), numerous bats, god knows how many insects (including a one pound cockroach which is known to eat young birds), and he pointed out several eatable plants along with several plants which the natives used for medicine (including the plant which scientists used to create a treatment for Parkinsonís disease which they were told about by an Indian medicine man). The last thing we did in Monteverde was take a tour of a small coffee farm; the local coffee growers have forms a co-op which specializes in organic, fair trade coffee and the high mountain setting of Monteverde is where the best coffee in Costa Rica is grown. I bought a ton of coffee to give away as gifts to family and friends. The coffee really was the best I'd ever tasted.

Lastly, we drove to Jaco so we could make a day trip to Manuel Antonia National Park. Jaco was a popular resort town in the 1970's but now days it's popularity has slid and now everything is owned by the big multinational chains. There isn't much there which can't be done cheaper/better else where in the country plus the main business in Jaco seems to be the international sex trade. Bus loads of fat bald 50 year old western "tourists" go to Jaco to take advantage of the booming prostitution business there. My friends and I quickly got bored of this town and headed south to Manual Antonia National park which is a large ocean front national park preserving an excellent example of the beach front low land jungle.

The jungle grew right up to the high tide mark and there were all manner of tropical fruits growing there while iguanas, crabs, monkeys, and these strange large tailless rodents (they looked like smaller versions of capybaras which were about the size of a cat) could all be seen feeding on the fallen fruit. The sheer amount of wildlife which can be seen here along with the rarity of finding preserved ocean front jungle makes Manuel Antonia National Park a must see.

Finally we returned to San Jose were we stayed at the Amistad Hotel and went out clubbing all night then caught a 4am flight back to the states. San Jose had a few good museums (the museum of pre-Columbian gold houses the largest collection of pre-Columbian gold in Central America) but mostly the city just sucks. It's dirty, it's over run with hookers, and there isn't much to see. The clubs are either super load clubs where the locals hang out of they are tourist orientated "clubs" which cater to the sex trade. If you go to Costa Rica I'd skip San Jose and go directly to one of the numerous wonderful national parks or other attractions in the rest of the country.

Oerdin
05-06-2005, 18:24:42
Originally posted by MDA
I asked my parents to bring me back some rum when they went.

I got a bottle of 20 proof Malibu Coconut Rum. :gasmaske:

They get half a point for trying.

Oerdin, pictures, please! :)

I've got shit loads of pictures and between the eight of use we have around 2 gigs of pictures. We've just got to sort out what's good and what's not. Give me a day or two so I can collect pictures from everyone else.

Provost Harrison
05-06-2005, 18:30:15
Come up for air Oerdin. Any chance of a summary? :cute:

Oerdin
05-06-2005, 18:36:28
Summary: It was great.

Spartak
05-06-2005, 19:07:58
Did you get laid?

Spartak
05-06-2005, 19:13:40
Ah, I see Oerdins recent poly thread (http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134619)

Venom
05-06-2005, 20:06:34
New posters?

Oerdin
05-06-2005, 20:07:04
If you read that thread you'd notice that I didn't get laid. I did find it annoying that prostitutes badgered foreign men at every opportunity and the only way I could make them stop was to walk around with my female friend.

Oerdin
05-06-2005, 20:08:09
Originally posted by Venom
New posters?

Originally posted by Oerdin
Own goal. RC's AEs.