PDA

View Full Version : Anger at Voinovich of Ohio thread.

Deacon
27-05-2005, 01:30:29
Show up to the hearings, or you'll have something to cry about. :mad:

MDA
27-05-2005, 02:35:56
He's skipping out AGAIN?

I don't miss Ohio.

Deacon
27-05-2005, 05:51:51
I was remarking about Voinovich's recent remarks in the Senate.

Now that Bolton's out of committee, there aren't any more hearings. But Voinovich's performance on the Senate floor, complete with tears, made me mad, not sympathetic. He's a real piece of work. Maybe I'll feel more reasonable later.

I have two beefs. Maybe three.

First, his timing communicates flakiness. He missed two hearings, and finally showed up at the third, only to say that because the matter is so near and dear to him, the committee should take more time.

Second... There's real danger in the world, and here is a US Senator whimpering and crying over the mundane. The matter at hand is the US UN ambassador. Nobody died.

Third... Poor reasoning. According to his reasoning (I could be reading him wrong), instead of earning respect, America should send somebody to the UN who'll beg and plead for respect (like Voinovich). 3A... If the US (though I don't recall if he actually mentioned the US) is put in a poor position by failing to engage with the world, why is it good to have a drawn-out political fight while the US has no representative?

Now the Senate has decided that it needs more information before they can make a decision on Bolton. My interpretation is that if they had anything real, his opponents would have used it.

I think the first charge was that he got nasty with a CIA or State person who told him something he didn't want to hear. The matter is classified, and could possibly be sensitive, so the State department doesn't want to tell.

What actually happened was that somebody told Bolton one thing, but did something else. When Bolton checked back with the other party that the somebody was reporting to, Bolton found out, and expressed to his boss that he'd prefer not to work with the somebody. The somebody wasn't fired, but moved out of Bolton's department.

The second charge is from a woman who told uncorroborated stories about what happened in Kyrghyztan(?) 10 years ago. That was a dead end, so the opponents are basically stalling by asking the State department to release the intelligence that Bolton supposedly tampered with.

The third charge against Bolton is of course that he's a hothead.

I guess that brings me to Beef #4. Voinovich's priorities. The stated reasons for opposition to Bolton are weak, and Voinovich chose the weakest reason to remark about. Maybe I'm a hothead, but I'd expect an apology from Bolton sooner than from Voinovich, since he's a weakling and weaklings don't say "I'm sorry I let you down."

Grrrrr......

Dyl Ulenspiegel
27-05-2005, 08:51:54
Yaay for Bolton!

Funko
27-05-2005, 09:34:40
Yaay for Big Sam!

Drekkus
27-05-2005, 13:01:53
Micheal?