PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Episode III


Venom
19-05-2005, 12:55:20
Saw it at midnight. Pretty funny with all the dressed up people there and stuff.

As for the movie. Not bad actually. In fact it was pretty good. WAY better than the first 2 for sure. That said, there was a bunch of cheese and it could have definitely been written a little better, but not a bad way to end new Star Wars movies at all.

MOBIUS
19-05-2005, 15:41:44
Do you think that George Lucas prefers Cheese to Chocolate then?:cute:

Lurker the Second
19-05-2005, 15:47:51
When the first trilogy was being made, I remember it was characterized as the middle of three trilogies (ys?). Why is this movie called the final Star Wars movie? Did Lucas come to realize he had used up his lifetime quota of good material?

Funko
19-05-2005, 16:07:03
Yeah, he can't be bothered making the last trilogy and now denies there ever was one.

Venom
19-05-2005, 16:09:16
I don't think he knows what do do with the last 3. And I'm very glad he's not going to try. Also, after all the shit he's gotten for these last 3, I don't blame him for not trying.

novacane
19-05-2005, 16:09:50
I heard that the last trilogy was going to be a TV series. But I don't care if I ever have to hear about a light sabre or dwarf robot again.

STAR WARS :sleep:

King_Ghidra
19-05-2005, 16:16:11
dwarf robot?!?!

Funko
19-05-2005, 16:19:11
R2 D2 he means.

King_Ghidra
19-05-2005, 16:19:41
thank you :rolleyes:

novacane
19-05-2005, 16:19:53
Yeah, the one that looks like Dusty Bin from 3,2,1 (The early 80's quiz show) with Ted Rogers (??)

King_Ghidra
19-05-2005, 16:20:24
reminiscent of my gf's description of luke skywalker 'who is a gardener in the empire'

novacane
19-05-2005, 16:21:33
Originally posted by Funko
R2 D2 he means.
:lol:

I did know what IT was called. Was just being deliberately ignorant to show my disdain for the saga.

Funko
19-05-2005, 16:21:52
:lol:

The reality is possibly even more dumb. Farming moisture out of the atmosphere. :lol:

Funko
19-05-2005, 16:22:24
Originally posted by novacane
:lol:

I did know what IT was called. Was just being deliberately ignorant to show my disdain for the saga.

I knew you knew, and thought it was obvious what you meant - and your point - but I was educating King_Ghidra.

King_Ghidra
19-05-2005, 16:23:27
or not, hence the :rolleyes:

Venom
19-05-2005, 16:24:56
It's so cool to show your disdain for a film franchise. You are sooooo awesome.

Lurker the Second
19-05-2005, 16:28:52
Bah, I could write it.

Scene 1: It is 500 years after the conclusion of the final episode of the first trilogy. As the Ewoks continue their dancing, a small but ominous shadow begins to grow across their sun. It takes them a while to notice it, but when they do they realize it is some sort of spacecraft. As the craft gets closer, we see it is enormous -- by far larger than the Death Star. In fact, it is approximately the size of Denmark and looks exactly like a lawnmower. It slowly and quietly hovers, then finally lands. As the Ewoks look on in amazement, a loud rumble is heard and the ground begins to shake. Soon, the entire planet has been mowed completely down and all have perished.

Away, way off (across the seas and such), a lone jedi is jarred from his (ok, maybe her) sleep. A black labrador retriever, clearly alarmed, rushes to the bed. "Yes", says the jedi, "there has been a powerful disturbance in the force."

Funko
19-05-2005, 16:29:10
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
or not, hence the :rolleyes:

Oh, I missed that post.

:rolleyes: back.

novacane
19-05-2005, 16:34:46
Originally posted by Venom
It's so cool to show your disdain for a film franchise. You are sooooo awesome.

:lol:

So I'm not allowed to say I don't like it?

I HAVE to like it do I?

What?

King_Ghidra
19-05-2005, 16:40:08
Yes you do, now stand in the corner and face the wall until we say you can stop

novacane
19-05-2005, 16:48:03
Thought my opinions might cause a stir.

Mission accomplished.

Debaser
19-05-2005, 16:49:40
Originally posted by novacane
:lol:

So I'm not allowed to say I don't like it?

I HAVE to like it do I?

What?

Craig, this is a geeky internet forum, best keep those dissenting opinions to yourself...

I couldn't give a toss about this film either.

novacane
19-05-2005, 16:54:24
Originally posted by Debaser
I couldn't give a toss about this film either.

In case anybody missed that :lol:

Funko
19-05-2005, 16:54:58
He's probably too busy watching the OC!

:nervous:

novacane
19-05-2005, 16:58:25
:vom:

Californiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Gramercy Riffs
19-05-2005, 17:01:55
Despite the fact it will probably be crap, I'm quite excited about this film.

Any Readingers fancy going Sunday?

Funko
19-05-2005, 17:02:37
I'm going Sunday 2:30pm.

Debaser
19-05-2005, 17:04:15
If the latest 3 Star Wars films were just generic sci-fi films without the Star Wars name attached the'd just be seen as the badly acted, scripted, and plotted kids films they really are. I think it's a shame that the first three films (bollocks am I calling them the 4th 5th & 6th episodes or whatever), which were genuine classics of their time, will now forever be associated with this toss. *shrug*

mr.G
19-05-2005, 17:33:49
Originally posted by Funko
He's probably too busy watching the OC!

:nervous: coool

Venom
19-05-2005, 17:43:56
No, you don't have to like it, but your whole "I'm better than these movies. Look at how cool I am" attitude sucks donkey balls and is beyond trite.

mr.G
19-05-2005, 17:47:55
Lurker knows

Debaser
20-05-2005, 00:31:38
Originally posted by Debaser
If the latest 3 Star Wars films were just generic sci-fi films without the Star Wars name attached the'd just be seen as the badly acted, scripted, and plotted kids films they really are. I think it's a shame that the first three films (bollocks am I calling them the 4th 5th & 6th episodes or whatever), which were genuine classics of their time, will now forever be associated with this toss. *shrug*

Having said all that, I now find myself in an awkward position... I didn't realise it would be on the net this quick...

*currently downloading it face*

Venom
20-05-2005, 03:01:44
You're worse than a fanboy. You're a fanboy in denial.

Funko
20-05-2005, 09:17:22
The other star wars nerd in the office saw it last night and said it was "really good" he "wouldn't take a child" and "it made episode one totally pointless".

Nills Lagerbaak
20-05-2005, 09:23:46
I hear there is one bit in it that defies all quality checking. Apparantly it is unintentionally hillarious!

I wasn't told what it was in case I ever do watch it and notice it too.....

Funko
20-05-2005, 09:39:35
From my friend Dave:

Well, Iím not giving anything away, and will speak to you all on Monday so I will give you my sonís verdict and after all they are kids movies.

He left the cinema and immediately asked for a DVD copy. He really enjoyed it, although there are at least two sequences that I thought might bother him hence the 12a certificate. He said it didnít bother him.

The best part for me was when I bought popcorn. Standing next to me was the spitting image of the guy from the simpsons who works in the comic book store. He was a dead ringer. Had I searched the carpark, there would no doubt be a cr*ppy car with the sticker Ďmy other car is a millennium falconí. He was very fat, blue denim shirt, and long greasy hair. I half expected him to say Ďno! I think you will find the millennium falcon can make .5 past light speed and not .3í

:lol:

novacane
20-05-2005, 09:54:06
Originally posted by Venom
No, you don't have to like it, but your whole "I'm better than these movies. Look at how cool I am" attitude sucks donkey balls and is beyond trite.
Why bother trying to read between the lines of my posts when you're clearly not very good at it?

Your "attitude" to non-believers of Star Wars is so typical and an additional turn-off to the actual movies. The fact that you seem to take personal offence, merely to an opinion contradictory to your own, about a movie you doubtless had no personal involvement with is beyond (;)) sad. Just roll with the punch. Dude.

Sir Penguin
20-05-2005, 11:03:49
As the craft gets closer, we see it is enormous -- by far larger than the Death Star. In fact, it is approximately the size of Denmark and looks exactly like a lawnmower.
Do you realise how much bigger the Death Star is than Denmark?

I remember hearing somewhere that that important stuff from the third trilogy was condensed into RotJ.

SP

Venom
20-05-2005, 12:56:12
Originally posted by novacane
Why bother trying to read between the lines of my posts when you're clearly not very good at it?

Your "attitude" to non-believers of Star Wars is so typical and an additional turn-off to the actual movies. The fact that you seem to take personal offence, merely to an opinion contradictory to your own, about a movie you doubtless had no personal involvement with is beyond (;)) sad. Just roll with the punch. Dude.

I really don't give a damn if you like it or don't. But you clearly have a superior attitude toward Star Wars fans, and on that front you can clearly fuck off.

Beta1
20-05-2005, 13:43:50
Originally posted by Lurker the Second
Bah, I could write it.

Scene 1: It is 500 years after the conclusion of the final episode of the first trilogy. As the Ewoks continue their dancing, a small but ominous shadow begins to grow across their sun. It takes them a while to notice it, but when they do they realize it is some sort of spacecraft. As the craft gets closer, we see it is enormous -- by far larger than the Death Star. In fact, it is approximately the size of Denmark and looks exactly like a lawnmower. It slowly and quietly hovers, then finally lands. As the Ewoks look on in amazement, a loud rumble is heard and the ground begins to shake. Soon, the entire planet has been mowed completely down and all have perished.

Away, way off (across the seas and such), a lone jedi is jarred from his (ok, maybe her) sleep. A black labrador retriever, clearly alarmed, rushes to the bed. "Yes", says the jedi, "there has been a powerful disturbance in the force."

I like it. Could we change the labrador to use lassie instead. You could have a side story where the dog rescues some jawas that got stuck down a old disused well. Possibly the dog could be tempted by the dark side...

novacane
20-05-2005, 13:51:07
Originally posted by Venom
I really don't give a damn if you like it or don't. But you clearly have a superior attitude toward Star Wars fans, and on that front you can clearly fuck off.

:sleep:

The first sentence there is the most important one. The rest I will choose to ignore (because I'm supposedly better than you right?). If only you'd taken the stance set out in your first sentence at the outset, then you would have saved us both a lot of unneccessary bickering. Clearly.

MOBIUS
20-05-2005, 20:30:22
Saw it. Pretty Pathetic a childish plot still but light years ahead of the other two!

5/10

Funko
23-05-2005, 13:12:54
Best of the first three definitely and made everything come together really well I think.

Lurker the Second
23-05-2005, 16:50:24
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
Do you realise how much bigger the Death Star is than Denmark?



SP

:lol: You have no idea how glad I am that I didn't know that.

Funko
23-05-2005, 16:55:15
Ok, I have to ask, is that a Comic Shop Guy quote?

Lurker the Second
23-05-2005, 17:20:28
:lol: Sure sounds like one.

BigGameHunter
23-05-2005, 20:13:30
God...I hate it already. Too many nerds coming into the store and snapping up all the action figures. What is their deal?

Sir Penguin
23-05-2005, 22:14:16
Originally posted by Lurker the Second
:lol: Sure sounds like one.
Oh my God, it's true. :cry:

SP

Mightytree
28-05-2005, 01:09:36
Finally saw it. The movie had a couple of bad scenes, but overall it was really surprisingly good. Way better than Episode 1 and 2 by far and at least on par with the original trilogy IMO. Not even Hayden Christensen's terrible wooden acting could ruin the movie.

8/10

The Mad Monk
28-05-2005, 01:12:39
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
God...I hate it already. Too many nerds coming into the store and snapping up all the action figures. What is their deal?

Look, you will just have to buy your own to play with.

Sir Penguin
30-05-2005, 00:32:19
TheForce.net estimates the second Death Star to be at least 250 km in diameter, which works out to 196,349.541 sq. km Denmark is 43,094 sq. km, so the Death Star II is at least 4.5 times the surface area of Denmark.

SP

JM^3
30-05-2005, 00:40:55
some spoilers ahead..























































there was some better stuff... (best of the prequals)

but I still wanted to break out laughing at some scenes (like the melodramatic noooo with Darth Vader at the end, reminded me of the robot soap opera guy in Futurama)

I REALLY didn't get the romance in ep 2, so when Padme started to get a little creeped out and upset by Ani's dark side I thought the interaction was a lot more beleivable

my frenids didn't understand how he went from trying to be a Jedi to killing younglings, I think that he had it in him the whole time (see the Tuskan children/women in EP 2) but that he restrained himself to be a Jedi

when he decides that being a Jedi isn't what he wants to be, insn't meaningful (after he sees Mace Windu killing Darth Sidius), then the gloves come off and he acts as he was always capabale of acting

Jon Miller

MDA
31-05-2005, 12:53:55
The wookie-on-the-vine tarzan yell. That was Awful.

The last hour or so of the movie was really fun though. There was just a very slow start.

Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen are BOTH positively wooden. Are they both shit actors or do they just have no chemistry together?

As Mightytree said, Hayden was wooden in general.

Venom
31-05-2005, 13:00:41
Portman is a really good actresss. At least in Closer.

Walrus Feeder
31-05-2005, 20:15:38
The really dramatic scene at the end of the film was really (unintentionally funny) DV: "Where's Padme?
EMP: "You killed her"
DV: "NNNNNNNNOOOOOOO!"

....I spoilt the ending for you, well any Star Wars fan would have seen it by now!

Lurker the Second
01-06-2005, 15:41:47
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
TheForce.net estimates the second Death Star to be at least 250 km in diameter, which works out to 196,349.541 sq. km Denmark is 43,094 sq. km, so the Death Star II is at least 4.5 times the surface area of Denmark.

SP

I think you've just proved that Denmark would be a bigger lawn mower.

Shining1
02-06-2005, 00:57:40
Portman isn't a bad actor at all - Christiansen was a total disaster. And Lucas is a crap director. She had no hope.

JM^3
02-06-2005, 05:52:22
Originally posted by Walrus Feeder
The really dramatic scene at the end of the film was really (unintentionally funny) DV: "Where's Padme?
EMP: "You killed her"
DV: "NNNNNNNNOOOOOOO!"

....I spoilt the ending for you, well any Star Wars fan would have seen it by now!

I almost cracked up laughing...

Jon Miller

Diss
03-06-2005, 04:43:43
Originally posted by Debaser
If the latest 3 Star Wars films were just generic sci-fi films without the Star Wars name attached the'd just be seen as the badly acted, scripted, and plotted kids films they really are. I think it's a shame that the first three films (bollocks am I calling them the 4th 5th & 6th episodes or whatever), which were genuine classics of their time, will now forever be associated with this toss. *shrug*

the first three films are not that good. Empire Strikes back was on tv the other day, it's just not as good as I remembered it as a kid.

The only reason people think those films are good is because of childhood nostaligia. Guess what, I also though the movie: Cobras was good as well.

ROTS is as good as any of the original movies.

Sir Penguin
03-06-2005, 04:57:28
That's funny, because I was born a few months before Return of the Jedi was released. I think the original movies are good because the good stuff is awesome, and the bad stuff is easily ignored. Same thing goes with the new movies, except the bad stuff is more distractingly bad.

SP

Diss
03-06-2005, 05:34:18
I just got back from seeing this in the theatre. Perhaps the excitement hasn't worn off yet.

In fact, this is the first star wars movie I have seen in the theatre. I was too poor when I was growing up to go to the movies. I had to wait for movies to come out on broadcast television.

empire strikes back did have some corny lines. And the design and tactics of the imperial walkers...

MOBIUS
03-06-2005, 11:15:11
The new Star Wars movies are shit.

ROTS is the least shit but it still doesn't hold a candle to the originals...

As for the nostalgia, I saw the remasters when they came out only a few years back, so this isn't about what I remember as a child...:p

Shining1
05-06-2005, 02:32:06
That's funny, because I was born a few months before Return of the Jedi was released. I think the original movies are good because the good stuff is awesome, and the bad stuff is easily ignored. Same thing goes with the new movies, except the bad stuff is more distractingly bad.

Quoted For Truth.

There are enough bad scenes in the original trilogy for it to be annoying, and certainly nothing to win an Oscar (heh), but the story is still pretty cool. Also, you don't suffer from having the cronically bad characters present all the way through during the first movies like you do the prequels (Jar Jar in the first movie, Anakin in all three).

There's less to despise, and it's not shoved in your face every couple of scenes.

Diss
05-06-2005, 09:16:41
Jar Jar isn't as bad as everyone says he is.

BigGameHunter
06-06-2005, 03:26:59
This movie proved to me that I was now, oficially, old.

All the explosions and sea-sicky chase scenes made me want to grab my cane and limp home to a tall glass of ice-cold Geritol.

*sigh*

devilmunchkin
06-06-2005, 04:35:58
i didn't believe the portrayl's of anakin's fall...... visually stunning but the character's just didn't grab me or make me believe what they were trying to portray

Venom
06-06-2005, 13:04:54
It was rushed, which is why this movie should have been streched out and the first two combined.

Funko
06-06-2005, 13:06:23
Could have ditched 80% of Episode 1 and expanded on the good stuff.

MOBIUS
06-06-2005, 13:47:22
And you'd still have a shit movie...:p

BigGameHunter
08-06-2005, 01:10:27
I just don't understand why/how the acting is so frigging abysmal in these new ones...I mean, atrocious enough to seem purposeful. The "love" scenes made me want to spend the night in a rat filled POW pit in '69 Nam (no offense to those who did) rather than watch them and are the single most potent detractor to me seeing it again in the theater.

Shining1
08-06-2005, 02:13:38
i didn't believe the portrayl's of anakin's fall...... visually stunning but the character's just didn't grab me or make me believe what they were trying to portray

Yes, that's cos he's a shit actor.

No longer Trippin
16-06-2005, 17:19:28
Ditto the above. They couldn't find anyone better to play the part, or was he available on the nearest street corner. The storylines already sucked, no need to make it suck more. At least this one wasn't nearly as bad as the first two, especially the first one. Eugh.

jsorense
01-07-2005, 18:54:10
Finally saw it. It was entertaining.
Since they dropped just about everone elses name in this one, they should have include a young, brash and stupid Han Solo.
imho