PDA

View Full Version : 'hiddenfaxwindow'

Gary
19-05-2005, 09:40:33
OK if my search of the Net is anything to go by I shall be fortunate if any of you know about 'hiddenfaxwindow' but keeping fingers crossed ... :)

Last night I had, on 3 occasions, to power off and on the PC due to a problem with the broadband connection. No obvious reason, it just stopped working in both directions. Simple attempts to reconnect failed, the BT app just apparently doing nothing (nothing showing on the screen, although it did get as far as the process list).

On trying to 'restart' I got a couple of error messages, the most intriguing being the inability to close 'hiddenfaxwindow', whatever that is.

Now I don't run any fax software. (Well not intentionally anyway.)

And inevitably when it's told to close it anyway, the system seems to continue closing, but fails to reach an end. IIRC forever claiming to be saving settings.

A Net search seems to indicate quite a few folk asking about this 'hiddenfaxwindow' thing, describing similar symptoms to the ones I experienced, but little in the way of explanation and simple solution. Going back some years too.

McAfee, Ad-Aware, and Spybot S&D find nothing untoward.

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

(I've left the PC running with little loaded save the stuff that comes in on boot-up, and an IE window or two. Be interesting to see if it stays connected until lunchtime.)

Gary
19-05-2005, 12:13:39
Hmmmm.. still up lunchtime then :)

Gary
19-05-2005, 15:57:27
The other two hidden windows of note are - as far as I know - only present if you have fax services and/or windows agent installed. Those hidden windows are, respectively, FaxMonWinClass - HiddenFaxWindow (the registry key on my system is 3FD224BA-8556-47fb- B260-3E451BAE2793), process ID; and AgentNotifySinkWindow - AgentControlHiddenWindow, process ID 66706.

Bringing any of these windows out of their hidden status so they show results in a snapshot of whatever is on your screen - very similar to a print screen utility. And all are connected to various Windows services that seemingly would it possible for MS or a reasonably sophisticated hacker to send screen captures in real time if you're connected to the Net, or to store screen shots for later transmission.Damn, hope that firewall is as good as claimed !

mr.G
19-05-2005, 17:45:43
Lurker knows

Gary
24-05-2005, 11:08:04
Then I wish he'd say something. This is driving me insane. Have no virus,. Have no trojans. Everything is wonderful. Except that this problem keeps cropping up and the comms stops between my PC and the Net. :(

Even tried reinstalling BT broadband access last night, but that didn't seem to go well. All it appeared to end up doing was wiping my log in data, so I had to type it in again.

It can go for a few days and I think the problem has gone, but then suddenly, there it is happening again.

Lurker the Second
24-05-2005, 21:18:08
Originally posted by mr.G
Lurker knows

:lol: Sorry, Gary, the only thing I know is that mr.G is an idiot.

MattHiggs
21-06-2006, 17:28:29
True.