PDA

View Full Version : just when you thought it was safe...

Kory
17-05-2005, 13:49:14
Lo, it is time for one of my quarterly incursions.

Things perhaps half a dozen of you care about:

I am no longer in California.
I am not yet working, due to a number of factors. (Anyone want to lend me next month's rent? Didn't think so.)
I am living with someone.
My lungs are currently trying to escape my body. (Anyone want to ship me some prednisone? Didn't think so.)

That is all. For now.

-- Kory (Just woke up coughing up lung pieces. No, not literally. Quite.)

Oerdin
17-05-2005, 13:50:53
Where'd you move to?

zmama
17-05-2005, 14:01:12
Awww hope those lungs stay in your body!!

Get well wishes (I don't have any drugs)

Drekkus
17-05-2005, 14:02:15
Are you always sick, or only when you post here?

Get better, btw.

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-05-2005, 14:03:41
Lung are overrated. Graft some gills onto your neck, and emphasise them by wearing plunging necklines. Amphibianism is where it's at for 2006.

King_Ghidra
17-05-2005, 14:04:22
Posting here certainly is sick.

Drekkus
17-05-2005, 14:15:45
(sick)

MDA
17-05-2005, 14:23:23
Ug, sorry. Asthma sucks. :(

Had an old gf that had horrible trouble. I blamed her short temper on oxygen deprivation. Its probably truth.

jsorense
17-05-2005, 17:16:55
Hey Kory!
Back in Chicago? You should look up Ming and haj.
Very sorry about your lungs and hoping your room mate is loving, cool, and a great editor. :)

Kory
17-05-2005, 17:47:44
So, here's the "I'm sick" story:

In February, I moved to Indianapolis. This required, not surprisingly, a plane trip. Usually when I take a plane trip, I end up getting someone's cold. So, I wasn't surprised when a couple days after I got here, I was stuffed up and feeling like crap.

Because moving companies ship your stuff at approximately the speed of snail, I spent the first few weeks I lived here sleeping on the floor. Also, the day I got here, it snowed. Combine cold-floor tempeartures with a cold, and you get a lasting cold.

Only it kept on lasting. And on. And on. And on. Until finally, I apparently had managed to get all the congestion in the entire world into my head and lungs.

So I looked at my bank balance, sighed, and went to a local clinic, where for the dubious sum of $100, I got to have a doctor tell me that I had a sinus infection and a mild case of bronchitis. I was assigned anti-biotics and an inhaler to help with the shortness of breath.

Fast-forward 12 days. I am feeling better, though not cured. I took my last antibiotic a couple days before this. The congestion is coming back. Sigh.

So I end up digging out of my stuff some leftover amoxycillin, enough for another week's worth of treatment. This finally seems to kill off the sinus infection, and mostly help the lung issues.

About a week later, I go with the guy who has been staying with me back to Colorado to get his stuff, as he is moving in with me. For those of you who do not realize this, Colorado is Very High Up. Like, a mile up. Like, about 5 times higher up than my lungs can, apparently, deal with. The entire time we are in the Denver area, my lungs are extremely unhappy.

We leave CO and head back down to flatland territory. I am feeling much better, until we actually get home, where suddenly I start getting congested again. Naturally, it all moves directly into my lungs. Equally naturally, the timing is really really poor; neither of us is working yet and there is no money for drs. I am going to go to a temp agency tomorrow if it kills me, though, which at this rate it may very well since the last time I got up to go to the bathroom it took two doses of albuterol...

I really need to win the lottery.

-- Kory (Yeah, I know, stop whining.)

Kory
17-05-2005, 17:57:17
Other things to know:

Yes, I would have preferred Chicago in an ideal world. But in this world, Indianapolis is cheaper. Besides, it's close to Chicago.

The trip to CO was filled with melodrama, causing it to take 5 days longer than it was supposed to. This, combined with illness, is the primary reason I am not yet working at a temp agency, which I hope to go to tomorrow if I can walk across the room without my lungs leaping out of my body. (Also, would have gone yesterday or today, but the hot water heater has b0rken and I haven't had a shower in several days. It's fixed now.)

[The melodrama was on the part of former roommates.]

My new roommate and I are involved, which is at least as much of a shock to he and I as it is to anyone reading this. Yes, he's a writer. I'm currently editing a story of his; he's currently reading a novel of mine.

-- Kory (I apparently don't hate men any longer.)

Japher
17-05-2005, 17:57:59
Sucks... I hope you get better soon

--Japher (meaning it for once)

MDA
17-05-2005, 18:02:07
Well, there's at least one you don't hate. :)

Sounds like a good thing once you tame your lungs.

Why did I assume asthma? Whatever it is, get well soon.

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-05-2005, 20:02:34
That's nasty, Kory. It makes me very grateful for our commie free medical care over here.

Koshko
17-05-2005, 22:46:02
I live near Chicago.

alsieboo
17-05-2005, 22:50:22
Sorry to hear that Kory, about the bloke thing ;) Hope you manage to get sorted soon

Greg W
18-05-2005, 00:34:12
What a strange country where it costs you $100 to see a quack!

Get better soon.

MDA
18-05-2005, 12:51:54
100 dollars to have a quack refer you to another more expensive quack(s).

The bright side: If I need surgery, I can get great (not just government-defined "adequate") medical care, if I can pay for it.

On a side note: if you're sick and you get into the US illegally and make it to a hospital, they fix you up for free before either sending you home or releasing you inside the US and telling you to go home. So sayeth the conservatives.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
18-05-2005, 13:13:53
Hi Kory, hope you get to sort your problems out. I'd send you some prednosomething if I knew what it is.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
18-05-2005, 13:14:16
Originally posted by MDA

The bright side: If I need surgery, I can get great (not just government-defined "adequate") medical care, if I can pay for it.

Bah.

I can get "great (not just government-defined "adequate") medical care" on my 700 private insurance. :D

MDA
18-05-2005, 13:17:04
I can get "good" with my insurance, but I'm paying part of the costs most times.

Funko
18-05-2005, 13:41:41
Originally posted by MDA
100 dollars to have a quack refer you to another more expensive quack(s).

Yes, if people are rich enough they can pay here too.