PDA

View Full Version : Darn emails !

Gary
13-05-2005, 17:47:47
I have just read the front page of the site which hosts the (free) email account I use. Makes for sad reading, and I guess I was lucky to spot it in time.

Turns out they are getting out of the email game and all is to be removed at the end of next month. (I'd have thought they'd have at least sent an email, I usually link straight to the page that is linked to from the front page !)

Anyway, I just wondered what the general consensus was around here as to which are the best sites to consider as a replacement ?

Cheers.

Spartak
13-05-2005, 17:52:48
What features are you looking for?

Gary
13-05-2005, 18:04:57
Umm... never really thought about it. I suspect it almost doesn't matter since most things are "nice to have" rather than "necessary".

Lets see, I guess as a minimum the equivalent of the present one.

It's free (Don't mind the possibility of choosing to pay for it later for more functions etc. if I choose to.)
It has at least 2.5 Mb of space (more would be an advantage but that's my present limit - which I keep going over :)).
It's reliable and very rarely down.
It isn't a "honey pot" for every spammer in town, or it has good enough default spam rejection so that I don't get to see it.

Off the top of my head that's the main features.

In a second tier I guess preferred stuff is

Would prefer not to be inundated with adverts and pop-ups, and would rather avoid scanning my mail to find out my habits etc.
Would be nice to be able to access via a client on my PC (but as I don't presently have that option it's hardly a necessity). Have to say I don't know my POP3s, from my IMP4s, from my SMTPs though :)

Umm... beginning to struggle here. I guess "the more, the better" after that, unless there are things you can suggest I may desire that I've missed out ?

Thanks.

Gary
13-05-2005, 18:07:32
Oh, another 'nice to have' thing would be an encryptionisation option. I've only ever used that facility once on my existing account (it was the reason I signed up initially) but if it's going ...

fp
13-05-2005, 18:24:26
Check out www.fastmail.fm

I've been using it for a long while and am very happy with it. The basic free service is simple, but very effective and I haven't got a single spam email in the last 18 months. Or at least I hadn't until my g/f entered my email addy on some stupid piece of shit site last week. :rolleyes: Stupid girl.

The interface is clean, free of ads and loads fast even on dial-up.

If you want more advanced features and more space you can pay for the privilege.

I've only ever found the site to be down once since I've been using it.

Gary
13-05-2005, 18:26:33
Certainly sounds an option. Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Spartak
14-05-2005, 21:18:32
I have used yahoo.co.uk for over 6 years and have been very pleased with it - and it comes with pop3 as well.

Gary
14-05-2005, 21:23:46
Cheers, it's nice to have options.

Spartak
14-05-2005, 21:27:05
its mail.yahoo.co.uk if you want to sign up...

Sir Penguin
14-05-2005, 22:42:53
Yep, Yahoo's good. I didn't get spam until I signed up for the POP service (which requires that you let them spam you). Now I get one junk message every couple days. It fits all your other requirements, although I don't think it does encryption.

SP