PDA

View Full Version : Movies about young British children who discover worlds of magic

Sir Penguin
09-05-2005, 09:01:32
The fourth Harry Potter movie is being released in mid-November. I'm looking forward to it, and I'll probably pay to see it. I can't say I particularly liked the third one. It was too stylistic for me.

Two weeks later the first Chronicles of Narnia movie is going out. The trailer looks pretty Disney, and although the girl playing Susan is cute, I'm not too excited. I never really got into the Narnia books.

Far more interesting to me is that Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising has been optioned for film. I loved the books when I was younger, and if the movie ends up getting made, it will be the best thing to come out of the Harry Potter craze. Hopefully.

SP

Nav
09-05-2005, 19:19:08
I still remember the BBC TV series of Narnia with much fondness, I think I liked the books too but the tv stuff definately sticks in my mind more.

JM^3
09-05-2005, 19:25:13
does she get beat and almost drowned?

JM

Immortal Wombat
09-05-2005, 19:39:03
Yeah, me too, Nav. It was shown in that Sunday tea-time slot while I was young enough not to have homework to do in at Sunday tea-times. I keep meaning to re-read the books, but I suspect I won't enjoy them as much now.

The Dark is Rising book(s) should make for a good film. There's so much atmosphere in the books. They'd have to be quite dark compared to (say) Harry Potter, which would be really good if done properly.

HP4 will have to be faster paced than 3 especially, and it'll have action all the way through rather than just in the last ten minutes. But Dan frikking Radcliffe has grown his hair, and again I end up looking like Harry Potter. Must have haircut before trailers arrive. Oh wait, too late (http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/harry_potter/thegobletoffire/).

Funko
11-05-2005, 10:49:54
I liked 3 the best of all the movies so far. Much prefered the stylistic approach.

Lazarus and the Gimp
11-05-2005, 10:55:58
"The Dark is rising" is an unbelievable book. If they cutesy it up, I'll kill them in their beds.

Sir Penguin
11-05-2005, 23:55:32
Originally posted by Funko
I liked 3 the best of all the movies so far. Much prefered the stylistic approach.
I found it to be extremely distracting. I was never absorbed into the movie.

SP

sleeping_satsuma
12-05-2005, 00:06:32
Originally posted by Funko

moi aussi. I think no 4 should be fantastic. It gets really scary now. How the hell are they going to fit Phoenix into one film tho?

Immortal Wombat
12-05-2005, 02:08:54
By gutting it of adolescent histrionics, hopefully.

Beta1
12-05-2005, 08:32:38
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
"The Dark is rising" is an unbelievable book. If they cutesy it up, I'll kill them in their beds.

dam right.

The Norks
12-05-2005, 19:07:21
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
By gutting it of adolescent histrionics, hopefully.

everyone made a big deal of that, but I hardly noticed anything. I felt Harry was justified given the trauma he's been through in the last 4 years. I was glad he was standing up for himself.

Funko
13-05-2005, 09:48:20
And he's an adolescent why shouldn't he have histrionics?

Immortal Wombat
13-05-2005, 16:55:14
In a choice between plot and histrionics, I venture that the former would make a better film.

devilmunchkin
22-05-2005, 07:41:47
who cares as long as Snape is in it :)