PDA

View Full Version : Never believed in Astrology but........


novacane
05-05-2005, 14:33:16
Was a peripheral part (thankfully) of a discussion of star signs (and characteristics of) earlier today. But, between procrastinating over various work related tasks, I decided to look up my own. interesting stuff

SPECIFIC FEATURES OF LEO MALE

You are extremely attractive to women. You are easily noticed in a crowd and you usually get a lot of attention. You can be careless at times, however you are also a master at covering up mistakes or anything else. You love and admire beautiful women, but your mate must not outshine you in any manner. You prefer your female to be reserved so as not to steal your thunder. You love to laugh, you are generous, outgoing and you love the best of everything. You have a high opinion of yourself and you want
your mate to feed your ego.

Mostly true then........

I know another Leo here who might agree ;)

Cruddy
05-05-2005, 14:36:16
Originally posted by novacane
You prefer your female to be reserved so as not to steal your thunder.

Does that mean you fart a lot?

protein
05-05-2005, 14:36:55
I'm a leo.

novacane
05-05-2005, 14:39:35
Originally posted by Cruddy
Does that mean you fart a lot?

Well quite possibly. didn't think of it like that. wouldn't want anybody stealing that.

King_Ghidra
05-05-2005, 14:41:06
craig i would say you are more easily overlooked in a crowd :lol:

Christoph
05-05-2005, 14:41:07
Originally posted by protein
I'm a leo.

I'm a wanker :)

novacane
05-05-2005, 14:42:56
Originally posted by protein
I'm a leo.
Welcome to the (apparant) brotherhood of ego's.

novacane
05-05-2005, 14:45:56
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
craig i would say you are more easily overlooked in a crowd :lol:
A cheap height jibe. Very low.

Well thats the problem I guess isn't it?:D

King_Ghidra
05-05-2005, 14:46:32
:lol:

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
05-05-2005, 16:54:39
Originally posted by novacane
You are extremely attractive to women. You are easily noticed in a crowd and you usually get a lot of attention. You can be careless at times, however you are also a master at covering up mistakes or anything else. You love and admire beautiful women, but your mate must not outshine you in any manner. You prefer your female to be reserved so as not to steal your thunder. You love to laugh, you are generous, outgoing and you love the best of everything. You have a high opinion of yourself and you want
your mate to feed your ego.

How many males does this NOT apply to though? It's pretty general. I mean, really, to say that specifically Leo Males "love and admire beautiful women" (as opposed to Cancer's who only admire bushpigs and ho's?), "are careless at times", "have a high opinion of" themselves (except for the Leo Males with self-esteem issues, or are there none?) etc. etc.

Now, I'm not saying it DOESN'T apply to Leo's in particular, but that it does also appear to apply to the other 11 signs equally well.

An insteresting experiment would be to get the text from all 12 signs WITHOUT any indicator as to which sign belongs to which description, and see how many people manage to pick their own sign just from that. That would seem much more significant than reading just your own.

Immortal Wombat
05-05-2005, 16:57:22
Doesn't apply to me.

JM^3
05-05-2005, 17:00:24
same here

JM

King_Ghidra
05-05-2005, 17:04:04
no shit, it's astrology. haven't we all had multiple conversations about what a load of toss it is.

Japher
05-05-2005, 17:05:59
I blend in, I don't "admire" hot chicks, I suck at covering things up, I hate laughing, am greedy, I have no ego, and I like the worst things in life

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
05-05-2005, 17:11:08
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
no shit, it's astrology. haven't we all had multiple conversations about what a load of toss it is.

There are new people here since then, we haven't subjected them to the viciously boring flamefests yet. It wouldn't do to let them off after we suffered through it.

King_Ghidra
05-05-2005, 17:12:49
i'm not talking about CG i'm talking about in life

if the only discussion in the world that people have is here at CG i pity them

Japher
05-05-2005, 17:17:29
I'm not a Leo though... I'm a Scorpio.

I actually have that big birthday book that does a reading for each day of the year, and it's actually pretty good.

mr.G
05-05-2005, 17:17:44
Originally posted by novacane
Was a peripheral part (thankfully) of a discussion of star signs (and characteristics of) earlier today. But, between procrastinating over various work related tasks, I decided to look up my own. interesting stuff

SPECIFIC FEATURES OF LEO MALE

You are extremely attractive to women. You are easily noticed in a crowd and you usually get a lot of attention. You can be careless at times, however you are also a master at covering up mistakes or anything else. You love and admire beautiful women, but your mate must not outshine you in any manner. You prefer your female to be reserved so as not to steal your thunder. You love to laugh, you are generous, outgoing and you love the best of everything. You have a high opinion of yourself and you want
your mate to feed your ego.

Mostly true then........

I know another Leo here who might agree ;)
yep, that's exactly mr.G

JM^3
05-05-2005, 17:20:08
Originally posted by Japher
I'm not a Leo though... I'm a Scorpio.

I actually have that big birthday book that does a reading for each day of the year, and it's actually pretty good.

scorpio also

maybe our thing sucks?

JM

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
05-05-2005, 17:20:42
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
i'm not talking about CG i'm talking about in life

if the only discussion in the world that people have is here at CG i pity them

Ah, gotcha.

And I wouldn't be surprised if there were one or two people here who fit into that last category you mention.

King_Ghidra
05-05-2005, 17:22:08
mmm, well, it certainly explains darkstar's posts

Immortal Wombat
05-05-2005, 17:35:43
I have KG's pity :love:

mr.G
05-05-2005, 17:49:47
Yaaaay you are already in that discussion thing, for me that gonna take another year or so, damn I hop i have his pity aswell

sleeping_satsuma
05-05-2005, 21:18:20
last time we had this discussion it was fairly obvious most people here didnt understand the basics of astrology, so most of their arguments against it were in fact arguments against what they *thought* astrology was. When I tried to explain that, everyone said 'tell us about astrology then!' which is kind of like me saying 'tell me about physics then!'. It takes years of study.

There are definitely cheap toss astrologers out there who generalise, but equally a good astrologer can give you some incredibly accurate readings.

Once again I will state that the sun sign is only a very basic part of astrology. Important yes, but basic. To dismiss astrology on the basis of a sun sign is like saying that chemistry is bollocks because not everything is made of copper or whatever element you choose.

I will also state once again that astrologers acknowledge free will, making the interplay between 'pre-destined' characteristics/behaviour and human psychology very complex.

I also believe that many of the famous experiments conducted by 'scientists' have shown a ridiculous lack of knowledge about even the basic principles of astrology, being instead based on supposition and assumption. Or worse proving something that astrologers don't even claim, or proving something other than the experiment is designed to do. Scientists seem to go all illogica when faced with astrology.

Funko and I debated last time what type of experiment could actually be used to give an impartial view, and we came up with something good, but I can't remember what it was!! Ultimately though, like psychology and sociology, it will never be a measurable science because its a series of descriptors rather than physical evidences. I don't believe that makes it untrue though, just difficult to pin down and open to abuse. There is a book published by a guy who actually measured various incidences across star signs and proved that certain star signs are more than coincidentally likely to do or experience certain things. Interesting stuff. I think it was called the Astrology file.

Anyway, I'm not going to get into a big thing about it, but I think you have to look more deeply than sun sign if you want to prove anything.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
05-05-2005, 22:23:07
I'm married to a woman who had her own astrological reading business. Her mother is also rather knowledgable. I know enough about it from them that I'm pretty confident when I say it's a load of old toss :)

sleeping_satsuma
05-05-2005, 23:14:22
Yeah, I think I know enough about football to decide when the ref is out of order, but realistically, I know shit all apart from how to identify a goal.

What you hear (and fill in for yourself) from other people is not the same as learning a subject yourself.

Koshko
05-05-2005, 23:16:27
Astrology sucks become I'm the only sign that doesn't have a living being associated with it.

sleeping_satsuma
05-05-2005, 23:23:31
I'm a centaur! two for the price of one!

Not all the living beings are ones you'd necessarily want to be associated with, for instance Funko is associated with the goat, and not just by astrological means :D

Koshko
05-05-2005, 23:46:31
Well lets rate the creature associated with the sign:

Scorpio the scorpian = cool
Sagitarrius the centaur = pretty cool
Capricorn the goat fish = wtf
Aquarius the sea being = okay
Pisces the fish = rather lame
Aries the ram = lollerz
Taurus the bull = cool
Gemini the twins = so-so
Cancer the crab = cool
Leo the lion = cool
Virgo the virgin = haha lame
Libra the scales = WTF

So in conclusion, I guess there are a couple of lamer signs than Libra.

Japher
05-05-2005, 23:47:43
Libra should be the Zebra!

Cruddy
05-05-2005, 23:49:15
Koshko, how can Leo's be cool if they fart a lot?

Koshko
05-05-2005, 23:52:58
I was just comparing the 12 sign's symbols.

Cruddy
06-05-2005, 00:14:13
Well, you got Gemini wrong.

When we're good, we're good. When we're bad, we're even better!

sleeping_satsuma
06-05-2005, 00:37:19
The important thing to remember about Libra, is that someone has to operate the scales. Libra should really be represented by a person weighing up choices, but thats too complicated to picture so we curtail it to scales. In the tarot deck its associated with Justice, a woman blindfolded on a throne, or impartial judgement.

Lots of cool people are Librans too, Libra being ruled by Venus, planet of the arts. ie:

John Lennon, Oscar Wilde, T.S.Eliot, Bob Geldof, Julie Andrews

Interestingly, Thatcher and Ghandhi were also Librans. Librans are consummate politicians (the scales in balance) when they wish and because they can always see both sides of an argument they become either very indecisive or very one sided (the scales tipped).... They can use this gift as a positive tool for intellectual progress, but all too frequently they know just what to say to get under someone's skin, or to cut someone down. Wilde and Lennon were perfect examples of this.

Librans are reputed to be beautiful, but its more accurate to say they have a deep apprecaition of beauty, but unlike the earthy sensual pleasures of taurus (also a Venus ruled sign), Librans have a rather detached, some might say shallow, appreciation of beauty, so status symbols tend to rank highly with them. That may extend to their partners.

Of course sun sign gives only a tiny piece of the whole picture and it can sometimes be diluted right down by other features in the chart. Equally it can be reinforced by other bits of the chart. I used to know someone who had 5 Leo major positions in his chart, thats incredibly rare though, but one to three would be fairly common.

Koshko
06-05-2005, 03:10:19
Nevermind ...

Greg W
06-05-2005, 04:01:33
Sagis rock. Nuff said. :cool:

Greg W
06-05-2005, 04:06:14
And the traits are pretty much me down to a tee...Traditional Sagittarius Traits

Optimistic and freedom-loving
Jovial and good-humored
Honest and straightforward
Intellectual and philosophical

On the dark side....

Blindly optimistic and careless
Irresponsible and superficial
Tactless and restlessThough perhaps not superficial and restless, the rest are pretty much me.

OldWarrior_42
06-05-2005, 07:29:14
Pisces the fish = rather lame

Screw you, Koshko... I could very well be a Great White Shark or a Whale or something.

They are considered fish, right?

Maybe it should be moron... the sign for Pisces.
Thats me. :D

King_Ghidra
06-05-2005, 09:15:16
Originally posted by sleeping_satsuma
The important thing to remember about Libra, is that someone has to operate the scales. Libra should really be represented by a person weighing up choices, but thats too complicated to picture so we curtail it to scales. In the tarot deck its associated with Justice, a woman blindfolded on a throne, or impartial judgement.

Lots of cool people are Librans too, Libra being ruled by Venus, planet of the arts. ie:

John Lennon, Oscar Wilde, T.S.Eliot, Bob Geldof, Julie Andrews

Interestingly, Thatcher and Ghandhi were also Librans. Librans are consummate politicians (the scales in balance) when they wish and because they can always see both sides of an argument they become either very indecisive or very one sided (the scales tipped).... They can use this gift as a positive tool for intellectual progress, but all too frequently they know just what to say to get under someone's skin, or to cut someone down. Wilde and Lennon were perfect examples of this.

Librans are reputed to be beautiful, but its more accurate to say they have a deep apprecaition of beauty, but unlike the earthy sensual pleasures of taurus (also a Venus ruled sign), Librans have a rather detached, some might say shallow, appreciation of beauty, so status symbols tend to rank highly with them. That may extend to their partners.

Of course sun sign gives only a tiny piece of the whole picture and it can sometimes be diluted right down by other features in the chart. Equally it can be reinforced by other bits of the chart. I used to know someone who had 5 Leo major positions in his chart, thats incredibly rare though, but one to three would be fairly common.

Your first post in this thread was fairly promising-sounding, but this one is just absolute twaddle.

Lots of cool people are Librans too, Libra being ruled by Venus, planet of the arts. ie:

John Lennon, Oscar Wilde, T.S.Eliot, Bob Geldof, Julie Andrews

Interestingly, Thatcher and Ghandhi were also Librans. Librans are consummate politicians (the scales in balance) when they wish and because they can always see both sides of an argument they become either very indecisive or very one sided (the scales tipped)....

This bit is incredible. Are you really suggesting that there is some link between these people's star sign and the fact that they became the people they became? Don't you think it would be possible to find people from the arts (good to see Julie Andrews i nthe same list as Oscar Wilde :lol: ) from any starsign?

And the politicians? Are you seriously suggesting that Thatcher and Gandhi have some kind of commmon mindset related to their starsign? Thatcher could see both sides of an argument?! Are you joking? Either way, famous politicians and poitical types throughout history run the full gamut of starsigns.

Picking out names of people who exhibit one characteristic or another is madness, for every one you can pick out that suspposedly exhibits some characteristic related to their starsign it will be possible to find many identical people from other starsigns who also exhibit said characteristic.

How can Astrology ever have any credibility when you have this fundamental assumption that there is some difference between people based on the day they were born?

novacane
06-05-2005, 10:28:24
I love the way this thread starts as a COMPLETE joke and is taken SO seriously by SO many. :bash:

King_Ghidra
06-05-2005, 10:46:50
who said that?

sleeping_satsuma
06-05-2005, 21:04:43
as I said K_G sun signs are the most basic indicator. Of course you can have artists in any sign, but you will usually see trends. I did list above a few diff Libras to show the different paths they took, but I'd say the first four have very obvious similarities. Julie Andrews is perceived as more your harmonious musical type. But as I said AGAIN, sun sign doesnt tell the whole story by any means, it just gives an insight into the person's psyche.

Frankly, I couldn't give a stuff if you believe any of it or not. I've had personal readings that did a proper in depth reading and they were accurate to an uncomfortable degree. Plus I've seen plenty of other evidence that astrology works. I'm not going to agree with you just because you think thats the right thing to do. As I said above, good astrologers are amazingly accurate, but I am basically a hobby astrologer, so I understand the principles but I havent ever put in the study. On that basis I wouldnt take my (not entirely serious) paragraph on Librans as a basis for serious judgement.

Chris
06-05-2005, 21:10:54
I know a guy named leo.

sleeping_satsuma
06-05-2005, 21:24:54
leo di capricorn? :D

Chris
06-05-2005, 21:36:06
Leo Schartz actually.

OldWarrior_42
07-05-2005, 00:07:42
:lol: :D

sleeping_satsuma
07-05-2005, 12:49:39
is that an american joke?

JM^3
07-05-2005, 12:55:40
the best atrology reading:

Aries: (March 21—April 19)
You’re a true role model for young people, the way you’ve achieved financial success and remained active in your community while masturbating pretty much constantly.

Taurus: (April. 20—May 20)
Despite the urgent need for the million-person interstellar starliner you designed, you’ll hide your blueprints, because you can’t think of a million people you could stand being with on a trip that long.

Gemini: (May 21—June 21)
It’s been three months since you’ve been hit by a bus, but the law of averages catches up with you this week, when you win free tickets to the Annual Greyhound Operators’ Dozen-Coach Rodeo.

Cancer: (June 22—July 22)
You might have been speaking entirely in jest, but those abductors would not have taken your wife if you hadn’t had the manners to add “please.”

Leo: (July 23—Aug. 22)
Technically, “filibusters” can only take place on the congressional floor. All you’re doing is keeping that poor waiter from attending to his other tables.

Virgo: (Aug. 23—Sept. 22)
Your friends have always referred to you as having an “old soul,” but your soul is nothing compared to your arteries.


Libra: (Sept. 23—Oct. 23)
Despite changing your number a dozen times, you’ll continue to get late-night phone calls from Owen warning you not to come sniffin’ around his women.

Scorpio: (Oct. 24—Nov. 21)
You will soon be renowned throughout the land as Furious Nine-Mile-Reach Fist, a name that sounds cool but will actually turn out to be a handicap in your job as a suburban realtor.

Sagittarius: (Nov. 22—Dec. 21)
You’ve always lived by the words of your father, who said, “Even if you’re only a ditch digger, you should be the best damn ditch digger you can be.” Well, good job, you fucking ditch digger.

Capricorn: (Dec. 22—Jan. 19)
You’ll be a very sought-after sports-page interview when the Minnesota Vikings demand that their new stadium include your head on a post at the main entrance.

Aquarius: (Jan. 20—Feb. 18)
You always suspected that no one would attend your funeral, but due to a rare coma-like neurological condition, you’ll actually be able to see all the empty pews.

Pisces: (Feb. 19—March 20)
You’re offered the chance to serve as “the most dangerous game” for a billionaire sportsman, but it’s canceled after he finds a tiger that has been trained to work a rocket launcher.

Jon Miller
(from the onion)

Provost Harrison
07-05-2005, 13:08:57
I'm a Cancer. God knows what my starsign is though...