PDA

View Full Version : I got my 10 yr high school reunion invitation in the mail ...

Koshko
29-04-2005, 06:41:30
I've accomplished absolutely nothing, and I feel so damn old now. :gasmaske:

mr.G
29-04-2005, 07:59:19
rent a bentley
taaadaaaaa

Diss
29-04-2005, 11:08:43
I would have went, but they were doing it at a fancy place. A couple hundred bucks to go. For people I don't even know. :). Most of my friends were juniors and a couple of sophomores. I didn't really know any seniors.

Funko
29-04-2005, 11:20:45
I went to my 5 year anniversary. Remembered why I am not in touch with any of them.

zmama
29-04-2005, 11:22:29
I never looked back or went back

Funko
29-04-2005, 11:23:24
The worst thing is, no matter how much you change all the high school issues come back. The same people are still the cool ones, the nerds etc. etc.

King_Ghidra
29-04-2005, 12:09:53
you didn't go to high school you americanised twat

Funko
29-04-2005, 12:12:23
Does that mean I can't use the term "high school issues" to help explain a situation we are all familiar with to a trans atlantic audience? You word nazi. :p

mr.G
29-04-2005, 12:13:27
come on, tell us all about boyschool

King_Ghidra
29-04-2005, 12:15:55
Originally posted by Funko
Does that mean I can't use the term "high school issues" to help explain a situation we are all familiar with to a trans atlantic audience? You word nazi. :p

'high school issues' is even worse, are you in the Dawson's creek dimension?

Why not say, 'The worst thing is, they were still all a bunch of wankers'.

Funko
29-04-2005, 12:16:19
It is Katie Holmes day...

King_Ghidra
29-04-2005, 12:16:46
mmmm :love:

Funko
29-04-2005, 12:17:19
Exactly.

Nav
29-04-2005, 12:34:19
god-damn Tom Cruise. :(

MDA
29-04-2005, 12:36:09
I just skipped my fifteen year last year. The 5 and 10 year reunions were... interesting. We just did cheap stuff - picnic at a pavilion in the local park, that kind of thing. Fairly fun.

Nobody turned out the way I thought they would. Some never left town or changed at all (OK, that wasn't so surprising).

One girl/woman at my ten year was already a divorced single mom with 2 boys. She got completely wrecked at the reunion and told her sad story over and over again.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
29-04-2005, 12:37:15
I've never been back to my old school. Occasionally I look up a few names of people to see what they're doing- one's a radio host in Georgia, U. S. A. . Another's working for umm, Unesco or the Foreign Office, I think.

One was killed on the Lockerbie jet.

Scabrous Birdseed
29-04-2005, 13:27:22
Swedes all have year 9 reunions, for some reason. So the fact that I moved from Tanzania to Sweden in year 11 kinda messes up my chances of either a High School or 9th year reunion...

Fergus & The Brazen Car
29-04-2005, 13:31:05
I haven't even been back to where I was born since 1986. Can't says as I miss it greatly.

Occasionally I bump into people I used to go to school with- one write a biography of Diana Dors and gave me a mention in the dedication, which was kind.

I used to be in a tutorial group at university with the B.B.C. film critic, Mark Kermode (whose surname was Fairey then- gee, wonder why he changed it ?) and remember seeing the B.B.C. news reporter Liz Kean (?) at the union's Lesbian and Gay group

King_Ghidra
29-04-2005, 14:58:30
Originally posted by Fergus & The Brazen Car

I used to be in a tutorial group at university with the B.B.C. film critic, Mark Kermode (whose surname was Fairey then- gee, wonder why he changed it ?)

:lol: well that's interesting, i didn't know that. Must have got in the way of being cool i guess. But equally i wonder, why Kermode?

Funko
29-04-2005, 15:00:48
Yeah... I always think his name is funny anyway 'cause it's like Mark Toilet.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
29-04-2005, 15:03:57
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
:lol: well that's interesting, i didn't know that. Must have got in the way of being cool i guess. But equally i wonder, why Kermode?

Apparently it was his mum's maiden name (his parents split up or divorced, I forget which).

Yeah, sure, right. He was full of it at university too. Couldn't afford the retro greaser look then. I remember seeing the band he was in, 'Border Incident' play support to 'The Fall' at the union.

Worth missing. Then of course he managed to get on that god-awful Danny Baker Show ripoff of the Letterman Show.

He's a big fan (read stark raving bonkers about) 'The Exorcist', the novel and film.

King_Ghidra
29-04-2005, 15:18:14
Originally posted by Fergus & The Brazen Car

He's a big fan (read stark raving bonkers about) 'The Exorcist', the novel and film.

yeah my first experience of him came from his appearances as film critic on mark and lard's late evening shows on radio 1, he made mention of the exorcist thing various times.

that was great show actually, will self used to do a reading of a cult-type book on there (introduced me to the wonderful world of books like 'crash' and 'a rebours' amongst others) until they 'fell out with him big time' apparently)

Fergus & The Brazen Car
29-04-2005, 15:22:14
I can't stand Will Self unfortunately.

His short stories and short novels always read like someone's found a thesaurus, the Oxford Unabridged and a logorrhoeic typewriter and has been afflicted with Tourette's and St Vitus's Dance simultaneously.

Much effort expended over small meat.

Still if it menat you became interested in Huysman's work and Ballard, all good.

Lurker the Second
29-04-2005, 16:35:19
I went to my 10 year HS reunion last summer. It was good. The guys actually looked worser for the wear than the wimmins.

Funko
29-04-2005, 16:38:02
Women have the advantage of make-up.

Did you mean 110 years?

Lurker the Second
29-04-2005, 16:41:11
The guys got fat and bald. Most of the women were in fairly good shape.

I'm pretty sure I didn't mean 110 years. I think.

Koshko
29-04-2005, 21:32:47
I see no reason to go. I mean I got nothing to brag about. Maybe in another 10 years my life will be better than theirs. Plus I am only curious about the life of like 3 people and I doubt that at least 2 of them would go anyway. They were like me ... Get the hell out of there and not look back.

Japher
29-04-2005, 21:34:20
I didn't go to my mine... the idiots had it the weekend after Thanksgiving and I already had plans to go to another town for that.

Koshko
29-04-2005, 21:53:00
Well if you can't create an aura of superiority over all the bastards, why bother.

Lady_of_Chicken
30-04-2005, 04:31:22
YOU feel old? My twentieth is in two years. :D

Diss
30-04-2005, 08:30:14
my 20th will be in 2011. So that makes it 9 years away. I'm still young. :smoke:

Sir Penguin
30-04-2005, 09:54:20
Hmm... something about that doesn't add up...

SP

sleeping_satsuma
30-04-2005, 12:04:46
Gosh with all this high school related insecurity, you'd think someone would have exploited it and made it into a film!! :D

If my secondary (all girls) school had a reunion, I would probably attend just to firebomb the bitchy witches I had to endure for 7 years. Plus, loads of them are now lawyers and doctors and executives of varying descriptions (even the one who got knocked up at 17 is now a legal executive lol), so I would no doubt feel hopelessly inadequate, not that I've done badly, but there's no point going unless you need your own helipad to do so :)

I would however like to seek out my teachers and wave my english degree in their faces, seeing as I was told by them I wasnt good enough to do English A-level. Bunch of twats. I'd also like to point out that if someone collapses during gym class, it doesn't mean they are unfit and need a stern lecture about heart attacks, it means they have fucking asthma and need medical attention.

I'm still in touch with one girl from that school tho and we are meeting up with another friend, so it wasn't all bad.

urrgh, just looked at my school website, and now feel simultaneously nostalgic, and glad I'm out.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
30-04-2005, 13:10:57
http://www.bablake.com/home.asp

My old school's website.

sleeping_satsuma
30-04-2005, 13:25:22
oooh very posh! If i ever produce spawn I'd like them to go somewhere like that. I've read far too many Enid Blyton books and girl's comics not to love the idea of private school. Having said that, my school was about as close as you get to private within the state sector, but I would have loved to have been a boarder at school and they didnt do that....the greatest sadness of my youth lol!

My school: http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupHomepage.asp?GroupID=21374

its a rubbish website, but the virtual tour took me right back!! I see the library has had a total refurb. I'm surprised they don't mention the school's history actually, because its quite convoluted and interesting.

thinking about it, it was only the last two years I hated, I had a pretty good time up until sixth form.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
30-04-2005, 13:34:06
Originally posted by sleeping_satsuma
oooh very posh!

It never felt that posh when I was there, but I benefited (being a crusty old fossil) from the 11 plus examination.

In that respect we were the last of the working class filth allowed through the hallowed portals of the remaining grammar schools (as was).

Nowadays of course you just have to throw money at them, and not actually be intelligent or scholastic at all- as the Royal family have proven again and again (surely one of the worst advertisements ever for the public school education in Great Britain).

But yes, I certainly thank my old grammar school for the breadth and depth of the education it offered- everything from Russian and Ancient Greek to metalworking and pottery.

sleeping_satsuma
30-04-2005, 13:50:39
I'm lucky that my grammar school was free :) Although a lot of the comprehensives round here are ex-grammar or very good in their own right, so I would have been ok at a comp I think. I guess the benefit of grammar schools is that they provide an environment where kids who have high abilities can be given the attention they need to develop academically. We certainly couldn't have paid for the education I received, and as much as I have certain lingering resentments, I think I did pretty well out of it, although I didnt really apply myself, and I wish I had.

Martini
30-04-2005, 14:03:07
Never looked at the website for my old school before....think I should let them know one of their ex pupils dropped out of uni and works behind a bar?

http://www.spgs.org/website/index.html

:lol:

I am definitely going to my reunion - assuming I get an invite.

sleeping_satsuma
30-04-2005, 18:26:45
blimey we're all very well educated aren't we lol? What went wrong??? :D

mr.G
30-04-2005, 18:49:14
woooohooooo : We believe in education in the broadest sense, and provide talented young women with a dynamic and stimulating environment in which to learn and develop as individuals.

Gibsie
30-04-2005, 20:12:49
I got an invitation from someone at my old school to join their Freemasons guild through friendsreunited.com. First time anyone's messaged me through that as well. Still, I think I do enough man-on-man activities as it is.

self biased
01-05-2005, 04:35:43
i plan on going to my ten-year with half a dozen girls in bondage gear on leashes.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
01-05-2005, 13:22:11
Originally posted by mr.G
woooohooooo : We believe in education in the broadest sense, and provide talented young women with a dynamic and stimulating environment in which to learn and develop as individuals.

So you have a fetish for convent school girls, right ?

Provost Harrison
01-05-2005, 13:23:00
Originally posted by Gibsie
Still, I think I do enough man-on-man activities as it is.

:brwncard:

Koshko
01-05-2005, 22:27:39
:gasmaske:

MoSe
02-05-2005, 13:18:23
We got the 20yrs reunion ~4 years ago, skipping directly there from the 5yrs one, most of us hadn't heard each other since.
We managed to track at least 25 mates, and met 20ish, no all together tho.
It was good fun, (almost) everyone was still down to earth.
We had one cardiologist, one violinist, no other "celebrity" (we can choose between two dentists tho).
The only one most others didn't recognise was me: I weighed double my HS weight, they mistook me for the class fat nerd at the time :o
Most were married, with children (albeit all pre-teen). A few girls were even better in their 40 than we remembered them at 18... Most the guys have still all their hairs, and none's greying yet! And they all kept fit! The bastards.
We kept contacts since then, regularly by e-mail, we meet 4-5 times a year, at least a core of up to a dozen regulars.