PDA

View Full Version : Entire (or close to) collections

Greg W
29-04-2005, 03:41:05
Just curious as to how many complete (or almost) collections you all own? I can't put down a lot, but:
- U2 (only missing Pop - lost it osmewhere)
- Bon Jovi (only missing Slippery when Wet - lost)
- AC/DC (own most on LP, slowly replacing with CDs)
- Led Zeppelin
- Cold Chisel (only missing "You're 13, you're beautiful and you're mine")

At least 1/2 of:
- The Beach Boys (I own the Capitol years on casette from 20 years ago, plus a few others)
- The Rolling Stones (collecting them atm from Ebay)

And dat's about it.

Funko
29-04-2005, 09:19:05
You're only missing slippery when wet? Surely that's pretty much the only one worth having...

Scabrous Birdseed
29-04-2005, 09:26:49
Complete? I have a few CDs of people who only released a single album, plus stuff like both Joy Division albums and all four Velvet Underground albums, but I can't see how that's more impressive than my 12 David Bowie albums or my 6 Miracles albums and 4-CD Box set. Neither of which is that impressive really. I'm more of a broad listener I think.

King_Ghidra
29-04-2005, 10:29:38
I think i've got all 6 of the Blur albums. That's about the only noteworthy claim.

On Mp3 i have complete collections of a few bands that i would never have paid for, e.g. The Dead Kennedys and The Misfits.

Still on the flip side, the complete Smiths stuff on mp3 has been like mana from heaven.

zmama
29-04-2005, 10:53:28
Complete or close?

So many I can't list all. Not a brag just an occupation thing (zpapa's)

A very partial off the top of my head list:
Dylan
Neil Young
The CNSY and variations stuff
Springsteen
Steely Dan
Robert Johnson
Hendrix
Stones
Beatles
Zeppelin
Pink Floyd (zzzzz)
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Stevie Wonder
Jerry Jeff Walker
Elvis Costello
Joni Mitchell
Warren Zevon
John Lee Hooker
Nick Drake (thanks Laz :) )
Gruppo Sportivo (partial and working on it, thanks K )

Fergus & The Brazen Car
29-04-2005, 12:28:15
I got lotsa:

Tindersticks

St Etienne

David Bowie

Brian Eno

10 000 Maniacs

Badly Drawn Boy

Portishead

Massive Attack

Aretha Franklin

Sandy Denny

Bessie Smith

Mouth Music

Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry

Yello

The Associates

Shawn Colvin

The Velvet Underground

P. J. Harvey

Talking Heads

Suicide

Patti Smith

Bjork

Nina Simone

Dusty Springfield

Gil Scott Heron

Although truth to be told, most of the long play stuff is c.d. only now. I sold off my l.p. collection due to lack of space and the fact that it would cost way too much to ship to Australia, and I hardly listened to it any more.

zmama
29-04-2005, 12:50:18
Oh yeah Talking Heads too

and The Clash
The Kinks
The Who
The Police
Bob Marley
Van Morrison

Fergus & The Brazen Car
29-04-2005, 12:58:34
I had forgotten my Elvis Costello collection.

I still have all the lovely 7" singles I collected back in the day. Although now that I have the boxed c.d. set of reissues, I suppose I should sell them too.

Greg W
29-04-2005, 13:55:29
Jeese, how many CDs do you two have? Approximations will do...

Greg W
29-04-2005, 13:55:54
Originally posted by Funko
You're only missing slippery when wet? Surely that's pretty much the only one worth having... :-P~~~~~~~

zmama
29-04-2005, 13:57:07
Um about 3000 vinyl and 3000 cds. Some cds are duplicates of the vinyl

Fergus & The Brazen Car
29-04-2005, 14:01:00
Originally posted by Greg W
Jeese, how many CDs do you two have? Approximations will do...

I've been collecting music since I was thirteen.

Since I don't smoke or drink, and have no children, that gives me ample time and money to pursue my passions.

London and Manchester and Coventry (where I grew up) had regular record fairs- London has one at Wembley in two weeks time, which should have sellers from all over the world attending.

Melbourne was also great for records too, but Sydney tends to get more of the review/promo copies.

There's a very good collectors' shop in Melbourne called Vicious Sloth Collectables.

Although I appreciate the greater access to rare and hard to find items that the internet provides, it takes away half the pleasure of rummaging through junk shops and charity shops and record fair stalls.

zmama
29-04-2005, 14:05:29
Zpapa has been in the Rock radio biz for more than 20 years and was an avid collector for years before that.

Kitsuki
29-04-2005, 14:23:56
Jimmy Eat World, No Doubt and Green Day only for me...

Greg W
29-04-2005, 14:33:40
Originally posted by zmama
Um about 3000 vinyl and 3000 cds. Some cds are duplicates of the vinyl :eek:

Holy snapping duckshit batman! There must be an entire room devoted to them. Scratch that, a house...

Greg W
29-04-2005, 14:34:36
And what's an approximation of yours F&tbc (sounds like a communicable disease)?

Fergus & The Brazen Car
29-04-2005, 14:54:20
Originally posted by Greg W
And what's an approximation of yours F&tbc (sounds like a communicable disease)?

I can't honestly say at the moment- having recently divested myself of nearly all the l.p.s (just saved things like the Robert Rauschenberg art version of Talking Heads' 'Speaking in Tongues' and the Brian Eno 'Before and After Science' with the four watercolour prints) but having also bought a boatload of collectable and much desired stuff on c.d. .

And I found a box of cassette singles too....

Haven't counted the 7" or 12" singles in donkey's years either.

zmama
29-04-2005, 15:03:29
:lol: we even have boxes of reel to reel

Concert tapes and such. Nothing to play them on of course

Greg W
29-04-2005, 15:08:07
I used to have an old reel to reel that used to be my dads. He even had a tape of the Beach Boys live on it from when he went to a concert.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
29-04-2005, 15:18:39
I had some old cartridges- Beatles, Clockwork Orange soundtracks. Nothing to play them on, crappiest repro system imaginable- " hey, let's play a song half way through- then turn over!"

Mmm, really increases your listening pleasure. Even Edison cylinders were better.

Lazarus and the Gimp
29-04-2005, 16:47:04
To the best of my knowledge, Julian Cope has released 25 albums. I own 23 of them. That's about the most impressive statistic.

I had about 1500 albums, but have sold about half of them.

Oerdin
29-04-2005, 17:57:59
I figure I own about 500 CDs with about twice that amount of digitaly copied music.

Scabrous Birdseed
30-04-2005, 13:12:24
About 700, 800 if you count the Gfs stuff.

MoSe
03-05-2005, 12:59:26
zmama, define "complete" Hendrix.
Just the 3 official, or?

zmama
03-05-2005, 13:12:33
More than the three...I can't say how many for sure (maybe 9?)I'm not going to crawl through the damn boxes of vinyl. I'd say anything with the Hendrix name on it has ended up in the collection... unofficial and bootlegs included.

I don't say complete...the question was "complete or close to" if you will re-read Greg's title

MoSe
03-05-2005, 13:18:32
oh yeah

I have a 3 official + 3 others LP case :)

MoSe
03-05-2005, 13:32:54
As of me, for what youze youths may care, I swam in a different kettle of fishes.

But I only kept "completes" until endof'70s/first'80s.
I had for sure Genesis (until And Then There Were 3), then I think Yes, Pink Floyd, VDGG, Queen, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Gong, er... Branduardi, er... can't recall.
Then I stopped caring to keep up to date musically, while most of those went on producing, often with significant (for the worse) changes in style...
Plus, most of my collection was taped from some friend's LPs, and some cassettes went lent/lost since, leaving alone that by now the ones I still have might well be unaudible, collecting dust on a shelf for over a decade now.

More recently, Peter Gabriel lasted a bit longer. I think I kept his complete only until OVO...

I also have a lot of diverse music, but in the CD times they were just occasional picks, grabbed (and... duped :cute:) what passed within reach, no quests for completeness. For instance, I think I have 5 or 6 PJ Harvey's, or Steve Vai's, some Cranberries, but I suspect (or have simply no idea) their discography might be widely vaster than that...

Curious: can anyone here boast a complete Zappa?!?!?

Immortal Wombat
03-05-2005, 13:38:37
I have the complete Sonic Undermind.

Debaser
03-05-2005, 13:40:31
Unlucky.

I think 5 or 6 PJ Harvey albums is probably a pretty complete collection.

zmama
03-05-2005, 13:43:07
:lol:

Lots of Zappa...complete? I don't think so

We have (had) the complete Phish collection too...except I think Rachel took some to NZ

Lazarus and the Gimp
03-05-2005, 13:48:54
Originally posted by Debaser
Unlucky.

I think 5 or 6 PJ Harvey albums is probably a pretty complete collection.

I've got 9.

She's done two albums of demos (one released as a stand-alone, the other released as a limited-edition with the vinyl release of "Dry") plus the album she did with John Parrish.

If I was showing off, I'd say I had 10, because I've also got an Automatic Dlamini album dating from when she was in the band.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
03-05-2005, 13:53:04
You'd still need the Too Pure sessions compilation, and the assorted singles- and of course the collection of B-Sides released as an album.

Debaser
03-05-2005, 13:54:39
:nervous:

Lurker the Second
03-05-2005, 18:28:09
I don't see how anyone could have the entire Neil Young collection. Money's not the issue, but how could anyone have the energy to go to the music store every two hours?

Lazarus and the Gimp
03-05-2005, 19:13:10
He's slowed down a bit lately.

I'm nowhere near complete on Neil Young- I've only got nine albums. They're the good ones, though- he has released some real crap in his time.

Lurker the Second
03-05-2005, 20:09:10
That last point if a FACT!

But I'm still a big Neil Young fan. No idea how many albums, though. Probably 12-15.

I think Springsteen is the only person or group by whom I have every album released.

I probably have three quarters of the Dylan albums.

sleeping_satsuma
03-05-2005, 21:01:48
the only artists I've ever collected were madonna kylie and u2, all incomplete. When I was younger it was david Bowie and the Beatles.

We did used to have the Beatles/Hendrix/Bowie/Stones complete original vinyl collections our uncle gave us, but being young and stupid my brother flogged it off to Bev in SOund Machine for some pitiful price like 70. Only after did I see an article saying that the David Bowie Hunkydory alone was the withdrawn version and worth about 250 on its own. After that I didn't even want to know about the others, but lets just say there was a complete Sergeant Pepper album and that was probably the least valuable one. Doh!

zmama
04-05-2005, 04:35:12
Originally posted by Lurker the Second
I don't see how anyone could have the entire Neil Young collection. Money's not the issue, but how could anyone have the energy to go to the music store every two hours?

Well it used to be the record companies would send multiple copies of records and or cds to radio stations. No longer though. Now its lucky to get a whole cd and not just a single from the weasles.

Neil is one we do have all...including the total shit ones. Zpapa is a big Neil Young fan

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-05-2005, 08:01:09
So how often does he sit down to enjoy "Landing on water"?

zmama
04-05-2005, 14:04:04
:lol:
never is probably the closest answer

Eklektikos
04-05-2005, 14:32:26
Have 11 Melvins albums but am still pitifully far from owning the lot. Prolific bastards that they are.

Lurker the Second
01-07-2005, 14:49:19
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
So how often does he sit down to enjoy "Landing on water"?

I was thumbing through albums looking for something different to play last night and came across this one, immediately thinking of that post. So I played it. I think I bought it during a phase where I just robotically purchased new stuff by Neil Young. I believe this album changed my ways.

devilmunchkin
02-07-2005, 09:43:34
closest i have is Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails

Mr. Bas
02-07-2005, 14:04:47
I have most stuff by Nirvana, Pearl Jam (no, not all the live albums), Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, I was really into grunge a few years ago... I've also got all Tool albums, most Therapy? albums and too many Weezer cd's (the first two is all you really need). That's all of the more prolific bands I can think of now.

Provost Harrison
02-07-2005, 14:14:37
I think I have most REM albums up to the more recent ones where I stopped and lost interest. All the Bad Religion ones and all the Pixies albums (which isn't too hard, let's face it :D)

Fergus & The Brazen Car
04-07-2005, 10:06:51
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
I think I have most REM albums up to the more recent ones where I stopped and lost interest. All the Bad Religion ones and all the Pixies albums (which isn't too hard, let's face it :D)

So now you have to collect all the Pixies singles, including the French and American releases. Tee hee.