PDA

View Full Version : Why I Love J.G. Ballard

Fergus & The Brazen Car
27-04-2005, 11:34:38
"Did you know?

He predicted Ronald Reagan's rise to president in his 1967 short story Why I Want to Fuck Ronald Reagan (contained in The Atrocity Exhibition, the title of which alone got the book pulped)."

http://books.guardian.co.uk/authors/author/0%2C5917%2C-15%2C00.html

The Atrocity Exhibition. London: Cape, July 1970,157p.

Collection: "The Atrocity Exhibition" (1966); "The University of Death" (1968); "The Assassination Weapon" (1966); "You: Coma: Marilyn Monroe" (1966); "Notes Towards a Mental Breakdown" (formerly"The Death Module," 1967); "The Great American Nude" (1968); "The Summer Cannibals" (1969); "Tolerances of the Human Face" (1969); "You and Me and the Continuum" (1966); "Plan for the Assassination of Jacqueline Kennedy" (1967); "Love and Napalm: Export USA" (1968); "Crash!" (1969); "The Generations of America" (1968); "Why I Want to Fuck Ronald Reagan" (1968); "The Assassination of John Fitzgerald Kennedy Considered as a Downhill Motor Race" (1966). New York: Grove Press, November 1972,157p. (as Love and Napalm: Export USA).

San Francisco: Re/Search, September 1990,127p.: new edition, copiously annotated by the author

King_Ghidra
27-04-2005, 11:48:21
The atrocity exhibition was very good, but the themes therein were more satisfyingly explored in crash

But to return to the thread title, the reason why you love j g ballard is because he predicted the rise of ronald reagan? how strange

Lazarus and the Gimp
27-04-2005, 17:32:58
I've got his complete short stories.

One of them, "The Index" I consider to be the greatest short story ever written.

The Norks
28-04-2005, 01:46:28
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
I've got his complete short stories.

One of them, "The Index" I consider to be the greatest short story ever written.

Mark Twain is turning in his grave.....

We studied JG at Uni, he was one of the few authors whose books I then went and bought, I found him fascinating. I think you can trace almost all his stories back to the simultaneously comforting and nihilistic experiences of war he had as a child- surreal imagery, reality in the middle of unreality (luxury hotels in the middle of swampland for instance) and the themes of not belonging/apocalyptic worlds or devastating/extreme actions crop up very often. Its a bit like being trapped in a weird dream you can't wake up from. I don't think he ever really got over the war in fact.

His collection of millennium essays is very good.

King_Ghidra
28-04-2005, 09:03:44
Perhaps the early more science-fictiony stuff. I don't see how the likes of Crash and the atrocity exhibition fit in to that theory. That stuff is more of a comment on the decadent modern (sexual) fetishisation of machinery and celebrity.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
28-04-2005, 13:56:17
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
Perhaps the early more science-fictiony stuff. I don't see how the likes of Crash and the atrocity exhibition fit in to that theory. That stuff is more of a comment on the decadent modern (sexual) fetishisation of machinery and celebrity.

I think the modern world trilogy is different in some respects from the likes of 'The Drowned World' and 'The Drought' and 'The Crystal World'.

Certainly, I think that 'Concrete Island' and 'Highrise' and 'Crash' are even harder-edged in some respects than earlier works, and that 'The Atrocity Exhibition' is related to those books.

I do like his early short stories though- and I love 'Vermilion Sands' which to me seems like a prediction of the glitterati world of today- Damien Hirst or Jeff Koons as talentless cloud sculptors parasitizing the Paris-Match plutocrats.

Lazarus and the Gimp
28-04-2005, 17:27:40
"Highrise" is my favourite novel-length Ballard. The sheer loathing that seeps off the pages is fabulous.

The Norks
28-04-2005, 18:08:07
what is a plutocrat anyhow?

Lazarus and the Gimp
28-04-2005, 19:52:14
A plutocracy is rulership by the rich.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
29-04-2005, 12:32:20
"Highrise" is my favourite novel-length Ballard. The sheer loathing that seeps off the pages is fabulous.

I think Cronenberg should have made a film of that- it's clear that Cronenstein has 'issues' with the cinematic portrayal of male-male sexuality, if his versions of 'Naked Lunch' and 'Crash' are anything to go by.

However his films 'Shiver' and 'Rabid' indicate to me he might have made a good version of 'Highrise'.

sleeping_satsuma
30-04-2005, 13:12:39
A plutocracy is rulership by the rich.

hmmm.... I should have just looked it up and then I wouldn't look so dumb right now

:)