PDA

View Full Version : I hate students #45367

Martini
26-04-2005, 21:10:59
Sadly none of them died of alcohol poisoning to my knowledge.

Was a very different mix to our usualy crowd though, with appalling music to suit. But yes, students really are a sub-species. Case in point:

At around 1230 one of the many additional bouncers approached me (as one of only 3 girls working that night) as he needed a female....yeah, not like that. Some poor first year had been sexually assaulted in the middle of the dancefloor, literally 10-15 feet from the bar. No one had done a fucking thing to stop it. Either that or they were too pissed out of their skulls to notice.

She was covered in bite marks for fucks sake, as well as some other pretty tell-tale marks. What the hell could I do? Nothing. Except wait with her until a taxi came. She was way too drunk to know who the guy was - though she said it was more than one - and she was in such a state she juist wanted to get out of there.

Ok, so this is a little serious for CG I know, but I am appalled beyond words. Obviously this stuff happens all the time but....not like this. Or at least it shouldnt. I swear I'll never complain about the punks and goths that are in every weekend, at least they don't actually behave like animals.

Asher
26-04-2005, 21:28:33
Was she attacked by lesbians?

HelloKitty can get rough.

Cruddy
26-04-2005, 21:30:43
That's fucking terrible. :( I guess all you could do - if the clubs got it - is ask her to come back when sober and go through the CCTV to identify the attacker.

Mind you, teeth marks are pretty good for ID.

I hope the bastard gets a prison term for it.

It really sucks when you're the shoulder to cry on and there's next to nothing you can do.

And yes, I much prefer company of goths and rockers to "normal" people.

JM^3
26-04-2005, 21:34:04
fuck

that is seriously messed up

I can't beleive people would do such terrible things

Jon Miller

Martini
26-04-2005, 21:37:51
You may have a point about the CCTV - I've been told we have tonnes of it. However, due to last night being some dumb student bar crawl, *everyone* (male and female) was wearing identical white teeshirts with orange writing on :rolleyes:

Also...no idea who this girl is, didn't even catch her name. No way of knowing how she is now let alone contacting her to ask her to come back :(

It's awful, she can only have been a year or so younger than me but somehow I was the responsible adult. No one ever told me barmaids had to deal with this crap :(

I had a huge go at the bouncers at the end of the night - i mean, they hang around like fat ganster rejects on every staricase, against every wall etc, yet they missed this poor kid suffering something that'll probably haunt her for the rest of her life? What the fuck they are there for I'll never know.

Cruddy
26-04-2005, 22:21:44
Check up on Health and Safety Act sometime. I'm pretty sure that girl could sue the arse off the club.

Pity she's so "educated" she doesn't know that.

Martini
26-04-2005, 22:29:08
I really wish I knew who she was - I'd tell her to do just that.

I used to love the Krazyhouse but...eugh, not now. The thought of working there again makes me feel sick, especially as no one else there seemed to think it was a big deal.

Another all-nighter on Saturday :rolleyes: It certainly won't be 'service with a smile' - if it goes like this that place and I are going to have to be permanently seperated due to 'irreconcilable differences'.

God, I never knew it was possible to be this angry. I think I possibly hate my employers more than stupid wanking arsehole students that exploit the environment they provide. Wow, so much bile.

MRT144
26-04-2005, 22:44:14
students dont equal rapists

Cruddy
26-04-2005, 22:44:32
I think - maybe - you're more pissed off with the apathy when it happened.

Part of a good place to work is having good backup - if one piles in, you all pile in.

Which didn't seem to happen here.

I don't know. I wasn't there so I can't know for sure how bad it was.

But I think most posters know it can get pretty damn hairy when alcohol is involved.

JM^3
26-04-2005, 22:44:59
stuff like this makes me think that things have to change

Jon Miller

Cruddy
26-04-2005, 22:48:54
Originally posted by MRT144
students dont equal rapists

No they don't. But pissed up louts getting violent isn't exactly unknown in the student crowd.

zmama
26-04-2005, 22:50:20
I'm agast the police weren't called right away! Should be bar policy for any assault

Greg W
27-04-2005, 00:45:24
So sorry to hear that Martini. Seems like they're all treating it as a student prank, rather than the crime it is. As a suggestion, go down the local police station, and tell them exactly what happened.

Asher
27-04-2005, 01:41:05
Originally posted by Cruddy
No they don't. But pissed up louts getting violent isn't exactly unknown in the student crowd.
To be fair, this is known to be true of Europeans in general.

Every time there's a Soccer/Football match, the world wonders where civilization went.

protein
27-04-2005, 01:50:54
Weird. All the violence we see on tv here comes from your side of the pond.

Asher
27-04-2005, 01:57:36
Like the infamous hockey-fan riots?

Or the Canadian Republican Army?

Greg W
27-04-2005, 02:05:13
Asher. Seriously, if you don't have anything good to say in a thread like this, just do the world a favour and fuck off and die somewhere.

protein
27-04-2005, 02:06:42
Originally posted by protein
your side of the pond.

I didn't say Canada.

You are right though. Football brings out the worst in people. Not all of us like it. I hate it for that reason infact. It's like war.

I like to think this forum brings out the worst in you. You can't be such a prick in real life.

Asher
27-04-2005, 02:09:13
So people generalizing drunken violence in students gets your feelings hurt when it is aptly comparable to generalizing drunken violence in your countrymen...

It's not my intent to be a prick, it just seems that way when the same argument gets spun back at you.

Asher
27-04-2005, 02:10:10
Originally posted by Greg W
Asher. Seriously, if you don't have anything good to say in a thread like this, just do the world a favour and fuck off and die somewhere.
Likewise?

Greg W
27-04-2005, 02:17:35
If that were the case, sure. Otherwise, see above post.

protein
27-04-2005, 02:27:08
Originally posted by Asher
So people generalizing drunken violence in students gets your feelings hurt when it is aptly comparable to generalizing drunken violence in your countrymen...

It's not my intent to be a prick, it just seems that way when the same argument gets spun back at you.
I've been mixing with students for years. I've worked in student bars, promoted student events and even ran a promotions magazine aimed at students. I currently live in a student neighbourhood.

I can say that on the whole, when regular students are drunk they are complete fucking twats. I think it's something to do with them being away from mummy and daddy's authority and having lots of booze money. I also think they are trying to find their way in life so they are generally pissed up arrogant, violent, sexual predators. They still think they know it all and easily get excited by situations.

I get woken every night by drunken students knocking over bins, singing, or snapping wing mirrors off cars and at least once a month I get some sort of student knobhead knocking on my door and then realising it a) isn't their house, b) isn't their friend's house and c) it's not the kebab shop.

I have to agree with Martini, the rock/indie/goth ones are all fine. Cool even. It's the middle of the road students that suck.

Anyway, why would it hurt your feelings? You're not a student are you? Even if you are, you're not an average stupid follow the crowd type student.

Asher
27-04-2005, 02:31:02
As someone who has been repeatedly harassed by drunken old men, online and off, I have to say that I disagree that it's part of being a student.

Maybe it's a British thing.

Students get silly and a bit stupid when drunk, but so does everyone else.

In any case, from what I've seen on TV (;) ), I find it amazing in general that a Brit has the balls to stereotype drunken violence to anyone but a Brit.

protein
27-04-2005, 02:51:19
I have the balls to go on and on about how embarrassed I am about British football culture. Why wouldn't I have the balls to go on about student culture?

Funko
27-04-2005, 09:35:35
Why argue with him? He's never lived here, there's no reason to assume things are the same here as they there. He has no idea what he's talking about.

We do clearly have a big social drinking problem that crosses a whole range of different bits of society, even when I was a student I thought lots of them were wankers, but with all these things (Football, students, people who work at prudential and go out after work to Branigans etc.) most of them are ok, but the bad ones are so bad....

Anyway this is a shit thing to happen Martini. :(

Oerdin
27-04-2005, 09:42:01
Every cab keeps a rrecord of pick ups and drop offs so if you want to know who she is and where she lives all you have to do is call the cab company.

JM^3
27-04-2005, 09:43:08
shit thing to happen to someone

Martini is just the only one (apparently) who has not gotten caloused to it all

something should be done...

Jon Miller
(and some people dont' beleive the statistic that 1 in 4 women are 'raped' during their life)

lightblue
27-04-2005, 10:00:53
Most violence I see here are the fen people coming into town on friday/saturday, most students just get wasted.

Oerdin
27-04-2005, 10:12:22
Social drinking is a problem every where but in Britain it seems to be a bit more deeply rooted in the culture then in other places. Lord knows our students can be drunken shit heads who break wing mirrors and get rowdy but sexual attacks are never cool and I wouldn't blame it on someone being a student and would instead blame it on someone being a criminal. Criminals who commit sexual assualts come from all walks of life.

Oerdin
27-04-2005, 10:24:21
I may come off as a racist for saying this but that is not my intent. The culture here in California seems to be very laid back where people try to avoid violence and confrontation a bit more then in the rest of the country. I guess it is all part of the "what ever man" surfer dude culture but the attitude seems to have worked itself into the general culture.

The big exception seems to be recent immigrants especially from Latin America where people have a more "macho" culture if you know what I mean. More priority is placed upon saving face and acting tough by that group though such an attitude seems to go away over time as immigrants get assimilated into the general culture.

I'm not saying violence among the native population doesn't occur (one look at the gangs of south-central LA or Oakland tell you the natives can be bastards as well) but the rate of violence seems to be some what lower among natives. I guess it is just a cultural thing.

Cruddy
27-04-2005, 10:29:47
Cultural repression has a part to play - it's a demanding place to live, the UK, where saying the word "fuck" to a field of sheep (nobody else around) is technically breaking the law.

If the sheep aren't there, it's still breaking the law.

It used to be going into the field in the first place was breaking the law. That at least has now changed.

Nills Lagerbaak
27-04-2005, 11:00:43
Hmm, reminds me of an incident in SE London not too long ago. Whilst on the dance floor some girl turns round and claws my face. She knocks my glasses on the floor and continues to try and claw my eyes out. Of course no-one helps, so I eventually grab her wrists and shes like "go on, hit me, go on, I won't stop till you hit me!" So I try to calm her down and when that doesn't work I slap her. Then she's completely placid. Wierd. Anyway, I decide to leave and get home look in the mirror, blood is running down my face and big gouges have been taken out of my flesy a few milimeters from my eyes. She must have had 2 cm long nails with a lot of flesh uner them!

God know is she was a student or not, but if I had been thinking I should have called the police and got her loocked up, but then it doesn't look too cool if a bloke does that does it? Bitch

Fergus & The Brazen Car
27-04-2005, 11:15:33
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak

God know is she was a student or not, but if I had been thinking I should have called the police and got her loocked up, but then it doesn't look too cool if a bloke does that does it? Bitch

Assault is assault- even if she were drunk, or under the influence of another mind altering substance, she's fortunate that you didn't over-react.

Equality rubs both ways: no free passes for women hitting men, no free passes for abusive men either.

A spell in a police station or commitment under the Mental Health Act might have been an object lesson for her.

Nills Lagerbaak
27-04-2005, 11:34:17
Yeah definitely. At the time I didn't think it was worth that much fuss, when I got home and saw the damage (and potential damage), I thought I should have done something about it. Crazy, I don't think I'll be going back there in a hurry!

Kitsuki
27-04-2005, 11:39:31
Absolutely appalled that happened to the poor girl, but I must say I tend to feel that students are far better behaved that other people their own age who have not made it to university... Perhaps that's just because of the places I hang out in, but I think students are far better behaved than the average ned.

Hope the poor girl is ok though, that's the main thing.

JM^3
27-04-2005, 11:40:17
I think that she is not OK

that is the whole point..

JM

Kitsuki
27-04-2005, 11:42:25
Erk, just re-read that - I assumed because it was in the middle of the dance floor they hadnt gone *that* far. That's awful.

protein
27-04-2005, 11:45:41
I remember that. I remember my blood boiling and going into a weird automatic friend-protect mode.

Yeah, in Britan it's seen as increadibly cool to drink lots and lots and lots. I would call it macho but it's boys and girls. The bars and drinks companies are allowed to do all sorts of promotions and there are often pretty girls handing out free shots and free bottles of the latest alcopop. There are lots of two for one offers and lots of free shot with your beer type promotions.

I tend to avoid those types of bars if I can but anywhere there's drink there's a drink company trying to get you to drink more than you need.

mr.G
27-04-2005, 11:53:04
Originally posted by protein
Yeah, in Britan it's seen as increadibly cool to drink lots and lots and lots.
I think it's weather related, rain makes you thirsty or depressed. Hell Drekkus and that weird little dutch guy were pissed at the last meeting, in holland they never drink.

Darkstar
05-05-2005, 09:13:02
How are you doing Martini? That's a rough thing to have to sit through. It's not like you can do anything except keep sitting with them. Did you do anything? Quit? Stew and keep quiet? Contract with Venom to kill off all the other staff? Report it? Still mulling it over?

I think the point is that this group was at the end of a crawl. So they were much drunker and stupider then usual. Add that with group mob mind, and it can get very nasty, very quickly, for a collection of people that would never do anything like that sober or even drunk but apart.

Immortal Wombat
05-05-2005, 14:27:23
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/4509465.stm

Asher
05-05-2005, 15:50:04
Gangrape of a guy, by guys?

Martini
05-05-2005, 15:57:54
Just to keep you all up-to-date.....

I am still working there. Yes, I am a disgrace. But I am also extremely poor, so there.

After much investigation the manager informed me any 'incidents' on that night were the responsibility of the organisers of the pub crawl, who supposedly had all their own security staff. Don't quite believe them on this, but not much I can do.

Went to one of these funny little places dotted around the city quaintly called 'The Cop Shop' to try and get some informal advice. They're drop in type things for reporting petty crime, getting security advice etcetc. Fat lot of good they were. I wouldn't say where I worked as, well, I don't want to lose my job. They were v arsey about the whole thing and basically said this stuff happens all the time at this particular event. They weren't interested.

However....on the advice of the person whose floor I am currently inhabiting, I went to the student union and told them about it. At first they were v hesitant to even speak to me as I am not a student, but (as he had told me) they are vvv against this bar crawl (called Carnage, amusingly enough) so any complaint that could possibly be held against it was good news for them.

I very much doubt anything will happen; and I do feel a bit of a killjoy - its just the kind of event I would normally take part in if I wasn't having to work - but at least it would appear someone has taken me semi seriously. If only to meet their own agenda.

lightblue
05-05-2005, 15:59:01
Well some kinda of (serious) sexual assault. Public school boys no doubt.

EDIT: To asher's post. Was scared I'd get the x-fear treatment :p

Immortal Wombat
05-05-2005, 16:40:10
X-fear-fear :shoot:

sleeping_satsuma
06-05-2005, 00:14:14
can I just point out that it has nothing to do with this party being composed of students. STudents are always blamed for everything in the towns they inhabit, and while drinking has become something of a student pastime, you only see the students who are out on the piss, you don't see the ones who are home studying, or working in bars or whatever, and there are plenty of abstainers. They're an easy target in other words.

I was talking to someone about date rape today, and we both agreed that alcohol does no one any favours. We both knew women who had deliberately and falsely accused men of rape after waking up with a hangover of regret, and we both knew men who had been falsely accused becaus ethe woman had woken up and realised she didnt like what she'd done. Equally, I think that while women have the right not to be violated, if you get yourself in such a state you can't identify an attacker, you may have to look at your lifestyle and assess whether you are putting yourself in harm's way. Women have a responsibility to protect themselves, but the alcohol culture means women do stupid things that leave them open to attack. I'm not excusing the men who attack on that basis, but I do think a lot of personal crimes are committed with one or the other party under the influence and its no surprise that alcohol makes some people do violent or indecent things.

Britain does have a general drink problem, but so do a lot of Northern countries. I think clubs and student unions, not to mention the government should start taking measures to curb this kind of alcoholic mania. Its certainly a complex problem though. Some studies think that Celts and Scandinavians are more prone to alcoholism so we're pretty fucked really :)