PDA

View Full Version : A Velvet's Goldmine

Fergus & The Brazen Car
25-04-2005, 14:40:13
As I was browsing in a desultory fashion in W.H. Smith's yesterday, I happened to notice that Record Collector had a feature on a very lucky Canadian who had picked up an acetate of the first Velvet Underground album in a garage sale in New York.

After picking myself up off the ground, and wiping the froth from my flapping lips, I thought 'lucky bastard', then 'where does he live ?' then 'how do I get away with murder ?'

Not only is it an acetate of the first V.U. album, it's also a version with markedly different track takes to the one released.

It's estimated that it could fetch upwards of $ 40 000 dollars should he sell it.

Of course, I'm overjoyed for him.

:mad:

Funko
25-04-2005, 14:41:36
Lucky bastard indeed.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
25-04-2005, 14:50:20
Originally posted by Funko
Lucky bastard indeed.

What I want to know is- where are the people who would put out Velvets' acetates over here ?

Even the charity shops have wised up to the vintage and collectable c.d. & vinyl market. Except of course they all think that a Five Star single is valuable- perhaps if you were desperately short of a cutting tool and tied up as voracious hyaenas were approaching, yes, but otherwise...

Apparently Barnardo's have put out an appeal for donations of old vinyl. One of the most sought after original vinyl releases (according to them) being 'Sgt. Pepper's'.

Funko
25-04-2005, 14:52:15
:lol:

Walrus Feeder
25-04-2005, 23:48:45
http://us.ent4.yimg.com/tv.yahoo.com/images/he/photo/tv_pix/nbc/third_watch_cast_photos/skipp_sudduth/third.jpg
Mike from Muf at his day job?