PDA

View Full Version : Pollute your ears 5: Americana

Lazarus and the Gimp
24-04-2005, 19:50:18
Right- you know the drill by now. Just indicate if you want a copy of this CD sent to you, and PM your address (if I don't already have it). This should guarantee you a copy, but traditionally I always forget to send out one or two.

Alternatively, if you'd rather download them- just go looking for these tracks and play them in the order set out below for the PYE 5 experience.

Paul Westerberg- It's a wonderful lie
Mississippi John Hurt- Make me a pallet on your floor
Uncle Tupelo- Graveyard shift
Tarnation- Game of broken hearts
The Gun Club- Ghost on the highway
Golden Smog- Until you came along
True West- Ain't no hangman
Bruce Springsteen- State Trooper
Joanna Newsom- Bridges and balloons
Vic Chesnutt- Threads
Cat Power- Colors and the kids
Morphine- In spite of me
Pete Yorn- Strange condition
The Replacements- Here comes a regular
Thin White Rope- Sack full of silver
Marah- Barstool boys
The Walkabouts- Forgiveness song

Scabrous Birdseed
24-04-2005, 21:20:26
I want one.

I say this despite losing your last one... somewhere before I had a chance to review it. I'll understand if you don't send me one really.

Lazarus and the Gimp
24-04-2005, 23:12:12
With the exception of RC, no bugger reviewed the last one. You're welcome to a copy.

Greg W
25-04-2005, 01:26:57
I'll be in that. PM arriving soon.

Eklektikos
26-04-2005, 16:26:02
I'd like a copy, please.

Funko
28-04-2005, 16:09:58
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
With the exception of RC, no bugger reviewed the last one. You're welcome to a copy.

I also mislaid mine before I could which was annoying 'cause I really liked it. :( :o

Can I have one of these too? Have you got my new address?

Lazarus and the Gimp
03-05-2005, 17:02:06
Last call- I start burning very soon. Scabby- I need your address, please.

Scabrous Birdseed
03-05-2005, 17:20:29
Johan Palme
Historiegränd 24 D
SE-907 34 Umeå
SWEDEN

Bugger that E-mail bollocks.

Lazarus and the Gimp
03-05-2005, 17:23:55
Where's the romance and mystery in that address? It reads like the pharmaceutical content of a sunscreen.

Scabrous Birdseed
03-05-2005, 17:34:08
Historiegränd literally means "History Alley". That's slightly mysterious in a second-rate sentimental novel kinda way isn't it?

Lurker the Second
03-05-2005, 18:22:49
Is this offer transatlantic?

Fergus & The Brazen Car
04-05-2005, 16:07:27
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
Historiegränd literally means "History Alley". That's slightly mysterious in a second-rate sentimental novel kinda way isn't it?

It reads like a kind of totalitarian tribute to tawdry learning: Literature Square, Economics Cul De Sac, Computing Hard Drive.....

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-05-2005, 16:40:29
Originally posted by Lurker the Second
Is this offer transatlantic?

And trans-Pacific. If I can get one to Greg, I can get one to you.

Scabrous Birdseed
04-05-2005, 16:59:40
Originally posted by Fergus & The Brazen Car
It reads like a kind of totalitarian tribute to tawdry learning: Literature Square, Economics Cul De Sac, Computing Hard Drive.....

Hey, we're right next to a univeristy. The neighbouring streets are Scholarship Grant Alley and Masters Degree Road, with Natural Sciences Thoroughfare crossing.

Er, street naming comissions in the sixties did get a bit carried away.

Scabrous Birdseed
04-05-2005, 17:01:50
The main exit from the area, BTW, is Graduation Way.

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-05-2005, 17:09:34
Great! Have you got a "Student Riot Boulevard" and "Outbreak of herpes Lane"?

Scabrous Birdseed
04-05-2005, 17:14:38
No, but there are some great pun roads near the hospital, especially Ålderstigen which means both "Age Path" and "Of a very high age".

HARR HARR HARR :gasmaske:

Lazarus and the Gimp
07-05-2005, 08:57:18
The UK ones are in the post- the overseas ones go out when I can reach the post office- probably early next week.

Debaser
07-05-2005, 09:47:32
Mine just arrived. That's very efficiant Laz, less than an hour...

Lazarus and the Gimp
11-05-2005, 10:53:20
They're all off now. More info follows-

Mid-90's solo track from the former Replacements frontman, which is yet another demonstration of his brilliantly misanthropic/sympathetic lyrical touch. The Replacements were one of the first bands to fuse American folk/Country elements with punk aggression- paving the way for the alt-country bands that followed.

This is a relic of pre-Delta Blues black music. Mississippi John Hurt was one of the last surviving minstrel-era singers- it's a much gentler style than Delta Blues with an intricate finger-picking style on the guitar. This is a live recording from 1962, a few years before Hurt's death. Though he was in his late seventies on this recording, he's still in great shape with voice and guitar as good as ever. All of Hurt's recordings are magical, and he's my favourite Delta-era artist.

Though they're now revered as the founders of alt-Country, Uncle Tupelo were far punkier in their early years. This is a belter of a blue-collar contry-punk track with clear Replacements influences.

From their mid 90's debut album. Tarnation steered clear of alt-Country and instead drew their influences from "High Country", particularly Patsy Cline- though stripped of schmaltz.

They later became lumped in with Goth, but the Gun Club were an arse-kicking swamp blues outfit. This is one of the best tracks from their searing debut album from 1979. The production is murky, and Jeffrey Lee Pierce's voice is wayward as ever- but what energy! Pierce died tragically young in 1997 from a stroke, and never received the fame he deserved due to years of poor health.

Classic singalong Americana from a "supergroup" made up of members of Uncle Tupelo (Jeff Tweedy), The Jayhawks and Soul asylum. They only did one album in 1998, and it's worth tracking down.

An acoustic Outlaw ballad from 1984, on the "Drifters" album. Outlaw Country produced loads of clunkers, but some real classics too. This is one of the good ones.

If you don't own "Nebraska", Springsteen's 1982 acoustic album, buy it now. Even if you think you hate Springsteen- I guarantee it'll confound your expectations. Probably the greatest American album of the 1980's. This track owes as much to Suicide as it does to Hank Williams, and (ye gods) that howl at the end....

Best debut album of 2004? My choice was "The milk-eyed mender" by 23-year old harpist Newsom. If you can cope with her bizarre voice (which I like) you'll probably love this quirky naive fantasia.

Vic Chesnutt- Threads

The greatest artist to emerge from Athens, Georgia (so fuck you, REM). This is the wheelchair-bound Vic Chessnutt- a prolific recorder of spikey and poetic surreal folk songs. "Threads" is not a typical track- he's usually more acerbic than plaintive, but it's a favourite of mine. From his 5th album "About to choke" from 1996.

From the eerie "Moon Pix" album, made just before she really became well-known. I'd rate it as her best album- it's certainly her most left-field.

Morphine- In spite of me

One of my all-time favourite songs, from the early 90's. Morphine were a highly unorthodox band, built around a two-stringed slide bass and baritone saxophone rather than more conventional rock instruments. This track, however, uses a haunting mandolin backing, and was used in the soundtrack to the film "Spanking the monkey".

Ryan Adams is huge. Pete Yorn isn't. The world is an inexplicable place. Enjoy this killer track from Yorn's debut album.

Absolutely the best track for making grown men cry, and possibly the greatest moment for the Rplacements. Have a quiet sob into your beer to this one.

"Desert Rock" was a genre founded by two bands- Giant Sand and Thin White Rope. These days it's more likely to be associated with stoner rock from Kyuss, but the original genre was a far more eerie and harsh sound. Thin White Rope were the great lost guitar band of the 1980's, prone to ferocious feedback-drenched epics. This is a low-key moment from their penultimate 1990 album, "Sackfull of Silver".

Marah- Barstool boys

5% Springsteen. 50% Replacements. 100% brilliant. from their debut, "The kids in Philly".

We've gone a whole CD with almost no Country-style domestic strife songs, so let's redress the balance. The Walkabouts have been churning out albums since the mid-80's, and they're all great. This is from 1996, recorded with the Prague Symphony orchestra's string section.

Funko
11-05-2005, 10:53:34
Hmmm. I haven't seen one.

Lazarus and the Gimp
11-05-2005, 10:54:10
As ever, it's the feedback from recipients that makes these exercises worthwhile. Let me know what you think.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-05-2005, 12:41:59
Originally posted by Funko
Hmmm. I haven't seen one.

Yours got posted at the same time as the other UK ones.

Funko
12-05-2005, 12:49:59
That is very odd then!

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-05-2005, 12:57:57
Still at number 23?

Funko
12-05-2005, 12:59:56
Yep. I knew you had my new address 'cause the last one came here.

It might well be in the mailbox and my housemate missed it or some numpty put it in the wrong box. I'll check later.

Funko
13-05-2005, 09:06:42
It was sitting in the mailbox.

Lazy housemate! (we only have one mailbox key...)

Scabrous Birdseed
13-05-2005, 18:37:32
Got my CD today. Unfortunately it arrived together with the latest copy of Private Eye and the Electro compilation I've been waiting for like a whole week, so I don't expect to be able to give it a serious listen tonight. Maybe in the morning.

Scabrous Birdseed
14-05-2005, 13:06:12
Well, I gave it a quick listen-through and I liked almost all of it, so you have to have done something wrong.

Review forthcoming in a few days/weeks.

Debaser
14-05-2005, 17:36:59
You've really lost your edge since you started hanging round with girls and stuff.

Funko
16-05-2005, 09:26:47
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
Well, I gave it a quick listen-through and I liked almost all of it, so you have to have done something wrong.

Review forthcoming in a few days/weeks.

Yeah, I really liked it too. Also copied the files to my hard drive so I'll have them to review even if the CD goes walkies. :D

Greg W
16-05-2005, 12:09:48
FYI mine arrived today. Haven't managed to listen to it yet.

Funko
20-05-2005, 14:05:54

This is really good. It's easy to be very boring with such simple arrangements but he does it really well.

Postman Pat, Postman Pat - ok that's not really fair is it. I find it a bit mumbly and confused.

This reminds me of a lot of different things that I like... I guess this is alt-country?

Quite a pretty song but doesn't really grab me.

This is excellent. It seems to be somewhere between art punk and country. Nice.

Unfortunately this seems to remind me of The Beautiful South for some reason and that totally spoils it for me.

I seem to like every alternate song so far and that means I should like this one which I do! It's a very happy sounding vocal for such a sad theme.

Ah, a break to the pattern. This is good. :) Pretty depressing but that's my kind of guitar work.

This is probably my favourite song on the CD. It's great. Reminds me of Bjork

Vic Chesnutt- Threads

This one is really good too. Has a kind of mystical feel.

Very sad.

Morphine- In spite of me

I am not feeling much inspired to write much more than "I like this" I don't like this at the moment but I like this.

I reckon I've heard this before somewhere, well heard this guy anyway. I have a feeling my little brother might have put something of his on a tape he made me... not sure. Actually I should give my brother a copy of this CD thinking about it he'd really like it.

Hey, it's knocking on heavens door! Different words though.

I find this one a bit dull.

Marah- Barstool boys

Sounds like he's a very dangerous driver! This one doesn't do a huge amount for me either.

I quite like the song but it goes on a bit too long without changing enough.

All in all considering I generally strongly dislike most country music it's a pretty successful compilation I think.

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-06-2005, 08:10:00
Have these all arrived now?

Scabrous Birdseed
05-06-2005, 10:12:36
Yes - thanks. I also found PYE4 the other day while cleaning. Review of this coming up soon.