PDA

View Full Version : OK, I've seen them around, occassionally, but never had owt to do with them

Gary
21-04-2005, 07:53:54
HELP !!!!!!

What the hell do you do to read a 3" CD ?!?!?

I bought myself one of those "flash memory drives", which came in the post yesterday. Just got it out of the packet, and what do I find ? The CD has been shrunk to a daft size.

What the heck I am I supposed to do to read the thing ? Get at the drivers, and read the manual that's supposed ot be on it ?

Gary
21-04-2005, 09:12:34
Getting very sick of mail order. One would have hoped Amazon Marketplace would be ok.

Just discovered a web address for the flash drive, found on the packaging, doesn't seem to exist. So much for getting the drivers off the Net.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I'm getting the feeling if I opened the damn case it would probably be empty, knowing my luck. It's light enough !

TauCeti@Japan
21-04-2005, 09:15:28
Same thing happened to me when I bought one, but it works fine without installing any drivers. And you do not really need a manual for these things.

TauCeti@Japan
21-04-2005, 09:16:35
(Corsair Flash Voyager on XP and Mac OS X, btw.)

Gary
21-04-2005, 09:38:05
Thanks for the confidence booster.

As it happens, I've just tried it in USB port at front of work PC, but it neither came up automatically as a new drive (would it need a reboot ? Hate doing that as it means closing everything down), or else it wouldn't go in properly (it didn't seem to want to push on securely).

I'll have to try it back home lunchtime I guess.

One weird thing, Amazon claims it is a Bytestor, but the packaging says invo8. Nothing's ever straightforward.

Funko
21-04-2005, 09:50:37
Small CDs should work in a normal CD player.

Gary
21-04-2005, 09:53:44
Ah, immediate panic over. Risked cutting open the bag with the extension lead in it (which I wouldn't have wanted to do if I found I needed to return it). It connects to the USB port properly, and the PC has found the device.

I think the drive itself is just too fat to get into the available slot.

Pity the PC says I'd need to reboot to use it properly though.

And the inital question is still valid. Does one need to go out and buy a special mini drive just to read those things ? :eek: Maybe I need to poll my friends to see if any has one already.

Funko
21-04-2005, 09:54:10
Originally posted by Funko
Small CDs should work in a normal CD player.

Gary
21-04-2005, 09:55:59
Originally posted by Funko
Small CDs should work in a normal CD player. :D

Yes, in desperation I was daft enough to try that before I left for work this morning. First time there wasn't a sound from the drive, nor any recognition of the disk. Second time there was some nasty rubbing sounds, but there was still a denial of any disk being there.

Gary
21-04-2005, 09:58:38
Maybe one needs a special tray to keep the disk in place in the centre ? Ok I'll trust you :nervous: and try it in the work one and see if that copes.

Gary
21-04-2005, 10:02:07
Well blow me down, it actually seemed to have worked here !!!! But there again I did notice that this drive tray had a raised circle about 3" dia on it. Guess that must be missing from the home one.

Cheers

Funko
21-04-2005, 10:07:13
Yeah... very odd, I thought all CD players had that.

Gary
21-04-2005, 10:25:51
TauCeti was absolutely correct though. Only Win 98 needs drivers.

This thing seems to be working fine (despite the change of manufacturer from that claimed, and the lack of logo on the case. I'm hoping it's a simple re-badge (or no-badge in this case) and not a cheap rip-off. Time will tell I guess.

Well I've learnt something today, and I can't say that every day :)

fp
21-04-2005, 13:44:19
Originally posted by Gary
But there again I did notice that this drive tray had a raised circle about 3" dia on it. Guess that must be missing from the home one.

Cheers

Yeah you would need one of those. Like Funko, I thought they all had them.

Deacon
21-04-2005, 23:13:21
Small CDs work with trays, but not with slot-load drives. Most trays I've seen have the smaller circle indented into them.