PDA

View Full Version : US and UK Universities still suck

Asher
20-04-2005, 19:25:52
for computer science.

The results of the annual ACM programming competition.

1,582 universities from 71 countries on six continents compete.

http://icpc.baylor.edu/icpc/Finals/Standings.html

The top US school is in 17th...

MOBIUS
20-04-2005, 19:31:36
Remind me which uni you went to for computer science...?:cute:

Asher
20-04-2005, 19:32:37
University of Calgary, they made it to the finals for like the 10th straight year. They're mentioned on the page.

Asher
20-04-2005, 19:36:11
I'm also investigating a possible transfer to Waterloo for my last year (starting in September). My BF goes there, my brother goes there, my dad went there, and I've got connections with IBM now, which heavily sponsors CS there.

Asher
20-04-2005, 19:37:17
Either way, next year I'm trying out for the team, since it's only open to 4th-years.

mr.G
20-04-2005, 19:37:48
Asher....... uhhm, nothing.

MOBIUS
20-04-2005, 20:36:12
Originally posted by Asher
University of Calgary, they made it to the finals for like the 10th straight year. They're mentioned on the page.

"Honourable mention" that's like a euphemism for coming worse than 29th...:D

MOBIUS
20-04-2005, 20:37:15
I'm also investigating a possible transfer to Waterloo for my last year (starting in September). My BF goes there, my brother goes there, my dad went there, and I've got connections with IBM now, which heavily sponsors CS there.

Wow, I never knew you were Belgian!:eek:

Lazarus and the Gimp
20-04-2005, 20:46:45
He's not. He's just cruising at the station.

Asher
20-04-2005, 20:47:45
Originally posted by MOBIUS
"Honourable mention" that's like a euphemism for coming worse than 29th...:D
Out of 1,582? That's damn good.

Especially considering the Chinese teams train/practice all year for it, while the Canadian teams are assembled a month before the competition and have a weekend of training/practice.

And the University of Waterloo is in Ontario, Canada.

MOBIUS
20-04-2005, 20:56:07
Out of 1,582? That's damn good.

Considering there are 38 "honourable mentions" Calgary could have placed as far down as oh, let me see... 67th!:)

And the University of Waterloo is in Ontario, Canada.

100-0 or PHd, whichever you'd prefer...:p

Asher
20-04-2005, 20:58:38
It can't be a PHd because it wasn't a joke, and it's not a 100-0 because you are British and Waterloo is a small town in Canada not many people have heard about.

Do I call offsides at this attempt?

As for being 67th -- you're wrong, you tard. Look at the page carefully and do the math.

Clearly, UK universities do suck. Presuming you graduated from one.

Asher
20-04-2005, 21:01:51
By the way, we were 31st out of 1,582.

What percentile is that...

http://icpc.baylor.edu/icpc/Finals/Scoreboard/index.html

HelloKitty
20-04-2005, 21:23:56
Hmm looking through that list and seeing things like

72 George Mason University

just seems to tell me that the real US colleges don't take this as seriously as the rest of the international community.

There is no way a college like GMU should ever be on a win list. They are ranked below the communitty college in their area.

Asher
20-04-2005, 21:34:25
The quality of a school's computer science department does not usually correlate with the school's "overall" excellence. Computer Science is a new field and somewhat different from the usual subjects.

And the real US colleges do take it seriously...this is the first time in a long time than MIT wasn't in the top 5, or Caltech in the top 10.

IBM also regularly hires almost all of the winners, or at least offers them jobs. The teams from Waterloo and Calgary usually end up in the lab here doing research after they graduate, and IBM pays for their Masters and PhDs.

mr.G
20-04-2005, 21:41:02
dooooooooooooooooooooo
di
dooooooooooooooooooooo

HelloKitty
20-04-2005, 21:42:09
All of GMUs departments are made up of almost all Community college students. If you take classes at NOVA you get auto accepted to GMU regarless of grades etc (assuming youa re passing).

Way back when I applied to undergrad I had taken classes at the Comm College instead of Senior HS and GMU was still sending me forms telling me to register for classes and sign up for dorm space over a year after I had been at MWC. And I had never interviewed, accepted, etc anything at GMU.

Asher
20-04-2005, 21:48:27
Obviously they have some world-class students there, in any case...

miester gandartak
20-04-2005, 21:52:40
I'm not sure it is so obvious Asher. HK's point stands.

Asher
20-04-2005, 22:00:50
She didn't have a point.

Drogue
20-04-2005, 22:06:28
For CompSci, damn straight. As my brother was advised "if you can do maths and want to go into programming, do maths. If you can't, do computer science". They're not the best recognised degrees here, mainly because our universities are crap at it.

MOBIUS
20-04-2005, 22:12:00
It can't be a PHd because it wasn't a joke, and it's not a 100-0 because you are British and Waterloo is a small town in Canada not many people have heard about.[b]

Firstly it must be a joke having a place called Waterloo in Canada, secondly being British we're great at geography so I already knew it was next to Toronto, so definitely either a PHd or 100-0...:p

[b]As for being 67th -- you're wrong, you tard. Look at the page carefully and do the math.

I did say 'could have placed...'

Seems like you're a bit 'tardy' with your understanding there - do you need me to explain that play on words BTW?:D

Seems like you should reset your reading comprehension circuits before you try out for the team next year...:clueless:

Asher
20-04-2005, 22:16:06
Firstly it must be a joke having a place called Waterloo in Canada, secondly being British we're great at geography so I already knew it was next to Toronto, so definitely either a PHd or 100-0...:p
It's not next to Toronto...

Waterloo is near Paris, Berlin (which has since renamed), Hamburg, London and Cambridge.

I did say 'could have placed...'

Seems like you're a bit 'tardy' with your understanding there - do you need me to explain that play on words BTW?:D

Seems like you should reset your reading comprehension circuits before you try out for the team next year...:clueless:
You still don't get it, ace.

It's possible to be placed quite a bit lower than 67th place. Look at the page more carefully.

My reading comprehension is fine, your analytical skills are lacking. Which makes perfect sense now, why UK unis are not really represented in the finals. It's a cultural trait.

mr.G
20-04-2005, 22:17:27
Asher ....... uhhm, nothing.

MOBIUS
20-04-2005, 22:58:38
It's not next to Toronto...

Waterloo is near Paris, Berlin (which has since renamed), Hamburg, London and Cambridge.

It's a dormitory town of Toronto IIRC, can't be further than 50 miles away - which by Canadian standards is practically a suburb, you insufferable pedant you...!:lol:

Immortal Wombat
20-04-2005, 23:16:30
All you can conclude from that one contest is that the two British universities which took part suck. Neither Sussex nor Cardiff are known for their CS courses. NW Europe Results (http://icpc.baylor.edu/past/icpc2004/RegReport/icpc.baylor.edu/regionals/ViewRegionalStandingsdb98.html?ContestID=656).

Provost Harrison
20-04-2005, 23:17:51
So some geeks did some computer programming? What do we care?

Cruddy
21-04-2005, 00:32:22
My reading comprehension is fine, your analytical skills are lacking. Which makes perfect sense now, why UK unis are not really represented in the finals. It's a cultural trait.

An alternative explanation - UK students are too busy cramming in an education in the time slots to go in for penis waving competitions.

Who wants to work for IBM anyway? What the fuck do they know about software?

Asher
21-04-2005, 00:36:01
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
All you can conclude from that one contest is that the two British universities which took part suck. Neither Sussex nor Cardiff are known for their CS courses. NW Europe Results (http://icpc.baylor.edu/past/icpc2004/RegReport/icpc.baylor.edu/regionals/ViewRegionalStandingsdb98.html?ContestID=656).
Which UK universities are known for their CS courses? And why wouldn't they compete?

Asher
21-04-2005, 00:38:44
Originally posted by Cruddy
An alternative explanation - UK students are too busy cramming in an education in the time slots to go in for penis waving competitions.
If that was the case, how come I know of no famous UK computer scientists? Where is the UK technology industry? For instance, what major companies are based out of there?

IBM develops Lotus Notes there, which explains why Lotus Notes is the biggest piece of shit I've ever used.

Who wants to work for IBM anyway? What the fuck do they know about software?
Can't tell if this is a joke or not.

The second largest software organization in the world (behind Microsoft) is IBM's Software Group.

Asher
21-04-2005, 00:40:46
It's a dormitory town of Toronto IIRC, can't be further than 50 miles away - which by Canadian standards is practically a suburb, you insufferable pedant you...!:lol:
You have to drive past an hour and a half of farmland to get there. That's not right next to Toronto, nor a suburb.

Cruddy
21-04-2005, 00:42:39
If that was the case, how come I know of no famous UK computer scientists? Where is the UK technology industry? For instance, what major companies are based out of there?

Brain drain. All the decent academics fuck off from the UK because the pay is shit.

APART from... the games industry.

IBM develops Lotus Notes there, which explains why Lotus Notes is the biggest piece of shit I've ever used.

Can't tell if this is a joke or not.

? You don't like their software but...

[B
The second largest software organization in the world (behind Microsoft) is IBM's Software Group. [/B]

And their output is where, exactly?

Asher
21-04-2005, 00:44:29
I hate Lotus with a passion. Worst acquision IBM ever made, and then they continued to let the Brits develop it, making it even more crappy.

What do you mean where is their output? IBM is the largest middleware provider as of this quarter.

Their software isn't usually consumer-facing, it's middleware and server-side stuff that consumers should never have to see.

Cruddy
21-04-2005, 00:46:29
Their software isn't usually consumer-facing, it's middleware and server-side stuff that consumers should never have to see.

Isn't that how Ross Perot made his bucks? Realised IBM were crap at software and set out to carve up the market?

Thanks for telling me though. Always wondered what all those employees did all day, apart from writing a chess program or two.

MOBIUS
21-04-2005, 00:55:40
You have to drive past an hour and a half of farmland to get there. That's not right next to Toronto, nor a suburb.

I know DH said your car was shit, but does it really take over an hour and a half to drive what looks like 60 miles on the map...:lol: :lol: :lol:

So it is right next to Toronto and it is practically a suburb (sarcasm you twat) cos I bet a huge proportion of the people that live there commute to Toronto...:)

zmama
21-04-2005, 01:02:01
It probably does...almost gridlock going that way from Toronto

Asher
21-04-2005, 01:08:34
I know DH said your car was shit, but does it really take over an hour and a half to drive what looks like 60 miles on the map...:lol: :lol: :lol:

So it is right next to Toronto and it is practically a suburb (sarcasm you twat) cos I bet a huge proportion of the people that live there commute to Toronto...:)
Oh you have to be kidding me, the commute would be 3+ hours in rushhour...

It is not right next to Toronto, and you are being a twat.

I make the trip in one hour sunday nights 'cause I go 160km/h.

It's an hour and a half at the speed limit.

Asher
21-04-2005, 01:11:45
Isn't that how Ross Perot made his bucks? Realised IBM were crap at software and set out to carve up the market?

Thanks for telling me though. Always wondered what all those employees did all day, apart from writing a chess program or two.
Ross Perot made his money in a lot of ways.

IBM's Software Group (SWG as it's called) is one of the fastest growing in the company, 2nd only to "services" (which they're making a big push on). IBM has acquired something like 24 software companies in the past two years, also.

IBM's software is incredibly complex and usually pioneering, but consumers know little to nothing about it. A lot of it is even hard to explain, like Tivoli Provisioning Software or almost any of the "Rational" brand software.

Then there's the "specialized" software branch -- IBM software engineers write highly specialized apps for some markets, like life sciences (computational chemistry) and even crash simulators. These are usually contract-based jobs.

IBM employs 100,000 people in its SWG, it's huge. They also have much higher standards that companies like Microsoft -- Microsoft makes toys in comparison.

Immortal Wombat
21-04-2005, 01:16:29
Which UK universities are known for their CS courses? And why wouldn't they compete?
Dunno. Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, Bristol, Manchester, Birmingham, maybe. I have no idea why they didn't compete.

I assume you mean contemporary famous computer scientist. I only really know about Cambridge, since I ended up (partially) doing CS here almost by accident. Most of the course, and most of the research, is very theoretical compared to other CS courses. If nobody is becoming famous writing fantastically successful commercial software, it might be because they're doing research into natural languages, AI, semantics, or whatever. I don't know.

Provost Harrison
21-04-2005, 01:22:41

Sounds even worse, sounds like the back of beyond!

Drogue
21-04-2005, 01:44:07
Times reckons the top 5 is:

1 Cambridge
=2 Imperial College
=2 York
4 Oxford
5 Edinburgh

Probably crap, since Oxford's is absolute shite, but Cambridge and Imperial are usually great at this sort of thing.

Why don't they compete? No-one knows about it in the UK. It's a US founded competition that's well regarded in East Asia and Eastern Europe, whart's in it for a UK university to take part?

You'll notice, looking at the multiple teams and the names Cardiff and Sussex entered that it was a simply "hey, fancy entering a team" to a few mates. It's just not a big deal here.

MOBIUS
21-04-2005, 01:54:50
Did we enter a team?

Immortal Wombat
21-04-2005, 01:57:00
If by 'we' you mean Cardiff, then yes you did. The "Cardiff Dragons". Failed to achieve the top 16 in the region.

Provost Harrison
21-04-2005, 01:57:08
I've noticed that on the poly version it is just US universities that suck :D

Greg W
21-04-2005, 02:05:55
Hey, if UNSW can rate an honourable mention, then Asher has absolutely nothing to brag about. :D

We should all know, all he really comes here for is to brag about how good everything he's involved in is, from b/fs to work to uni to cars...

Oh, and to point out how shit everyone else is in comparison.

Provost Harrison
21-04-2005, 02:10:44
Yeah, he's very arrogant like that...plus everyone knows he's also speaking out of his arse...

Asher
21-04-2005, 02:26:44
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
I've noticed that on the poly version it is just US universities that suck :D
I tailor my trolls to their audience, and IW is right in that no UK unis really participated. So I corrected in V2.0 of the troll.

Asher
21-04-2005, 02:27:40
Originally posted by Greg W
Hey, if UNSW can rate an honourable mention, then Asher has absolutely nothing to brag about. :D

We should all know, all he really comes here for is to brag about how good everything he's involved in is, from b/fs to work to uni to cars...

Oh, and to point out how shit everyone else is in comparison.
Not everyone, just Aussies that don't know no one forces them to read my threads.

Greg W
21-04-2005, 02:31:30
Oh, it's always entertaining reading how wonderful you think you are. Gives me a good laugh. :)

Asher
21-04-2005, 02:36:11
If you look at the original post, the point was that US Universities suck more today for tech.

I wasn't the one who brought up how well my school placed.

MOBIUS
21-04-2005, 02:40:36
Yeah, he's very arrogant like that...plus everyone knows he's also speaking out of his arse...

Yeah like how it takes 3+hrs to travel about 60 miles in rush hour and then say no one does it - although if no one did it it wouldn't take so long...:clueless:

Next you'll be saying there's no train link from Waterloo to Toronto!:lol:

Is Canada a 3rd World Country?

MOBIUS
21-04-2005, 02:47:50
Holy Shit - it is a 3rd World Country!

Proof once again that North America sucks at public transport!:lol:

Asher
21-04-2005, 03:09:18
Yeah like how it takes 3+hrs to travel about 60 miles in rush hour and then say no one does it - although if no one did it it wouldn't take so long...:clueless:

Next you'll be saying there's no train link from Waterloo to Toronto!:lol:

Is Canada a 3rd World Country?
I can't tell if you're making a bad joke, or if you're honestly this stupid.

Either way, that was a terrible post.

Cruddy
21-04-2005, 03:31:25
So then Asher, exactly when are you going to Shanghai for your postgrad?

Or maybe you'll accept less than the best and go to Moscow or St Petersberg instead.

As if.

Asher
21-04-2005, 03:35:45
Too expensive.

I'll do my post-grad at Waterloo and get IBM to pay for it. ;)

Cruddy
21-04-2005, 03:36:22
And you don't speak Chinese or Russian.

Asher
21-04-2005, 03:44:06
I don't need to, all the important ones speak English.

Cruddy
21-04-2005, 03:49:47
:lol:

You think those places TEACH in English?

Get real.

Asher
21-04-2005, 03:53:27
I know the grads of those schools I work with speak English.

Cruddy
21-04-2005, 04:01:51
They're not likely to come to Canada if they can't, are they?

Asher
21-04-2005, 04:05:26
As I said, the important ones speak English.

Cruddy
21-04-2005, 04:08:07
And apparently go to Canada for their post grad...

...something wrong with the logic here, surely?

Asher
21-04-2005, 04:10:53
Who cares where they get their post grad if they speak English when I need to deal with them?

HelloKitty
21-04-2005, 04:13:21
God damn. Another thread where people got Poly all over it.

Cruddy
21-04-2005, 04:17:57
Hah! If someone was pouring scorn and spleen in your direction, you wouldn't sit and take it, would you?

Oerdin
21-04-2005, 05:20:51
If you look at the original post, the point was that US Universities suck more today for tech.

They just don't use this event you seem to love so much. I'm not sure why but it is very hard to say someone is losing when they're playing a totally different game.

Asher
21-04-2005, 05:25:30
They do use this event, all the top schools send their teams, and it's funded by a huge megacorporation that has ties with almost all of those schools as well.

Saying they "don't use the event" seems like a convenient way to dismiss the obvious. Maybe the US education system's lackluster performance is catching up with them.

Oerdin
21-04-2005, 05:36:24
Or maybe they're just not as in to this event as you are? Maybe they spend the money on actual things which effect more students.

Asher
21-04-2005, 05:50:42
Errr...you don't get it, they get shit for doing this. IBM gives the school a bunch of expensive IBM systems if they are finalists. All their expenses are still covered by IBM also.

It costs them nothing to participate, they get the prestige, and they get some systems if they win. There is no reason they would not send their best systems for even a simple day (it's even held on the weekend...) for the contest. Hell, the best students will want to go for the challenge, for the publicity, and for the experience.

In short, no, I don't think it's just that they don't care. They go and they send very bright guys, they just aren't keeping up with the rest of the world.

Asher
21-04-2005, 05:58:16
The other contributing factor is the exploding popularity of the contest. It's grown by a factor of 5 in terms of the number of participants since IBM began sponsoring it in 1997.

Much of these newer Chinese universities competing that are taking lots of the top spots are competing for the first or second time, which is pushing the US universities further and further down.

The Canadian universities on that list hold a pretty consistent position, however...

ozscott75
21-04-2005, 06:58:08
Asher, why do you hate freedom?

Cruddy
21-04-2005, 07:18:32
Maybe when they include the regional finals in 2006, the results might not be skewed?

I enjoyed looking at the problems though.

notyoueither
21-04-2005, 08:03:32
You all missed the boat. If you really wanted to dig Asher, you'd have pointed out that the UofA finished with better than an honourable mention, which is all the UofC could muster.

HelloKitty
21-04-2005, 08:16:41
I think that was coming up after we watched him dig himself into the this is the most important thing in the world hole so he couldn't say that his school doesn't care.

notyoueither
21-04-2005, 08:17:46
Oh. Well, carry on then.

OldWarrior_42
21-04-2005, 08:31:14
God, I wish I was Asher.

I'm on medication, btw. :D

Funko
21-04-2005, 09:41:37
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

I was going to ask how many actually took part.

Sussex and Cardiff? :lol:

Provost Harrison
21-04-2005, 11:56:09
Originally posted by OldWarrior_42
God, I wish I was Asher.

I'm on medication, btw. :D

I think if I wanted to be Asher, I'd be on medication too ;)

zmama
21-04-2005, 12:00:07
Hah! If someone was pouring scorn and spleen in your direction, you wouldn't sit and take it, would you?

Here we not only take it...we enjoy it. :)
Those who can't laugh at themselves have a harder time here.

Funko
21-04-2005, 12:05:45
And those who can't laugh at themselves can always laugh at Asher.

Provost Harrison
21-04-2005, 12:15:50
Originally posted by zmama
Here we not only take it...we enjoy it. :)
Those who can't laugh at themselves have a harder time here.

Just one point though...you can't technically pour spleen can you...it's not a fluid, it's an internal organ :D

Funko
21-04-2005, 12:17:56
Originally posted by Funko
And those who can't laugh at themselves can always laugh at Asher.

This is a paradox.

zmama
21-04-2005, 12:22:33
Just one point though...you can't technically pour spleen can you...it's not a fluid, it's an internal organ :D

I suppose if you put it in a blender you could pour it

Asher
21-04-2005, 14:53:58
Originally posted by notyoueither
You all missed the boat. If you really wanted to dig Asher, you'd have pointed out that the UofA finished with better than an honourable mention, which is all the UofC could muster.
For the first time ever, I congratulate them on finishing 2 spots higher out of 1,582 competing universities... ;)

Asher
21-04-2005, 14:55:15
Originally posted by HelloKitty
I think that was coming up after we watched him dig himself into the this is the most important thing in the world hole so he couldn't say that his school doesn't care.
It is something that is looked at in the industry both industry recruiters and academia alike. It's more or less the computer science olympics held every year.

Funko
21-04-2005, 15:39:11
They should call it nerdfest.

Lazarus and the Gimp
21-04-2005, 17:17:22
If that was the case, how come I know of no famous UK computer scientists?

Funnily enough, I can only name one computer scientist- Alan Turing. Have you heard of him?

Spartak
21-04-2005, 17:20:38
Just so Asher knows - The only Russian univeristies that teach in English are a couple fo regional (and crap) medical schools. All the top flight universities teach in Russian and foreign students all have to learn Russian before they can study.

Funko
21-04-2005, 17:25:29
I've also heard of Charles Babbage?

Spartak
21-04-2005, 17:30:38
Didn't he invent the computer and isn't even canadian?

The Norks
21-04-2005, 17:53:49
I cant believe this thread is still at the top.

what have you people been doing ALL DAY??

The Norks
21-04-2005, 17:54:38
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Funnily enough, I can only name one computer scientist- Alan Turing. Have you heard of him?

Is he the guy with the famous shroud?

Asher
21-04-2005, 18:06:32
*looks at his watch*

That took surprisingly long, and I'm surprised that it took you to bring him up. I would have thought the comp geeks in here would've caught that at first.

Yes, Babbage and Turing are both British and are widely considered the fathers of computer science.

Neither of them studied computer science at university. ;)

Lazarus and the Gimp
21-04-2005, 19:26:11
So if you want to be a pioneering household name in Comp Sci, you shouldn't study it? That's something it has in common with art, in that case.

Asher
21-04-2005, 19:35:28
That doesn't follow from my statement, unless you're on some kind of drug.

CompSci wasn't a subject in school back then.

When the point is the quality of instruction of universities in computer science, it's not really helpful to point to people around decades (or centuries) before that discipline actually existed in universities.

The Norks
21-04-2005, 22:26:43
blah blah bla blablablalalalalalalalallala

asher must be right
asher must be right
asher must be right
asher must be right
asher must be right
asher must be rightasher must be rightaasher must be right
asher must be right
asher asher asher
asher
asher asher
asher

Immortal Wombat
21-04-2005, 23:25:09
*looks at his watch*

That took surprisingly long, and I'm surprised that it took you to bring him up. I would have thought the comp geeks in here would've caught that at first.

I assumed that you couldn't be stupid enough not to have heard of them, and noted that you must have meant contemporary ones.

Provost Harrison
21-04-2005, 23:25:59
Yeah, I thought of Turing too but thought it was pointless to mention him also...

MOBIUS
22-04-2005, 00:53:43
So did I - but apparently Asher thinks we have to state the obvious...

About the only think obvious on this thread is that Asher has been pwned. Again.:smoke:

Asher
22-04-2005, 04:04:23
pwned by someone without the intellect to understand pwnage would be embarrassing, if it happens.

Fortunately, all we have is twats like you arguing that Waterloo is a suburb of Toronto.

Cruddy
22-04-2005, 05:34:24
Programming efficiency isn't necessarily what an employer's looking for though.

What they SEEM to want are useless tossers that miss their deadlines and push up production costs that get passed on directly to the consumer.

At least, in the US and UK.

And the reason I didn't post any famous Brit (or American scientists) is that I'd cane you.

You post 10 really famous Canadian comp sci's - and I'll post 20 US or UK ones, fair? ;)

Asher
22-04-2005, 05:38:08
Contemporary only, and Canada vs UK.

I'll name 1 Canadian, you name 2 UK. ;)

I'll start: James Gosling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gosling)

Cruddy
22-04-2005, 05:57:27
Well, that's just typical of you to shift the goalposts at the last minute.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2000/nov00/11-06hoare.asp

http://research.microsoft.com/%7Eadg/

Cruddy
22-04-2005, 05:59:55
http://www.answers.com/topic/michael-barnsley

http://www.ideas21.co.uk/55

Cruddy
22-04-2005, 06:02:30
2 for the price of one;-

http://www.itv.com/news/world_114216.html

Asher
22-04-2005, 06:05:12
The Microsoft one counts, the others do not.

Cruddy
22-04-2005, 06:11:59
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6515991.html

Cruddy
22-04-2005, 06:12:56
The Microsoft one counts, the others do not.

C'mon. Find me some equivalent Canadians who do such pioneering work.

Or are you running?

Darkstar
22-04-2005, 07:47:19

OWN FUCKING GOAL!

If you cannot think of one famous UK comp scientists, then you should take a few seconds to think about it. It should come to you.

Unless you are talking comtemporary? And there's several there. I don't recall any significant ground breaking Canadian computer scientist, but I don't normally pay attention to the nationality of scientists. So maybe I know of them, and just didn't know they were Canadian?

Darkstar
22-04-2005, 08:00:30
So if you want to be a pioneering household name in Comp Sci, you shouldn't study it? That's something it has in common with art, in that case.

That's very true. Programming is art. Art that, when performed, sometimes does a useful thing.

Darkstar
22-04-2005, 08:02:45
pwned by someone without the intellect to understand pwnage would be embarrassing, if it happens.

Fortunately, all we have is twats like you arguing that Waterloo is a suburb of Toronto.

Ash, you get owned so often, your BF should get you a leash to make sure someone doesn't accidentally carry you away.

And for real cities, 60 miles is just a suburb. You cannot expect real cosmopolitian city dwellers to understand that in your redneck world, 60 miles is the otherside of the world.

MOBIUS
22-04-2005, 12:32:27

I love the way you argue, so literal...

Makes using sarcasm against you all the more satisfying.

PWNED!:p

Funko
22-04-2005, 12:33:25
Waterloo is a station.

fp
22-04-2005, 13:55:52
No it's a song.

Beta1
22-04-2005, 14:04:45
My, my, at Waterloo Napoleon did surrender
Oh yeah, and I have met my destiny in quite a similar way
The history book on the shelf
Is always repeating itself

Waterloo - I was defeated, you won the war
Waterloo - Promise to love you for ever more
Waterloo - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Waterloo - Knowing my fate is to be with you
Waterloo - Finally facing my Waterloo

My, my, I tried to hold you back but you were stronger
Oh yeah, and now it seems my only chance is giving up the fight
And how could I ever refuse
I feel like I win when I lose

Waterloo - I was defeated, you won the war
Waterloo - Promise to love you for ever more

So how could I ever refuse
I feel like I win when I lose -

MDA
22-04-2005, 14:20:53
Read the thread title, then ask yourself... why bother arguing?

zmama
22-04-2005, 15:31:53
Read??

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-04-2005, 17:19:05
Lamest thread EVAH!

Dyl Ulenspiegel
22-04-2005, 17:50:03
What Muppet is Asher?

Oerdin
22-04-2005, 17:51:37
One that makes lame threads? And is gay. :p

Japher
22-04-2005, 17:53:06
Scooter?

Oerdin
22-04-2005, 17:57:59
Burt & Ernie are more then just friends according to the Christian Coalition.

MDA
22-04-2005, 18:47:14
and Cookie Monster is making our children obese... :rolleyes:

Japher
22-04-2005, 18:51:33
Fat is the new thin!