PDA

View Full Version : And just when you least expect it, something bad happens...

Greg W
19-04-2005, 12:31:27
...which puts everything into perspective. And I thought I had it bad.

There's a bloke at work, name's Don(ald). About 9 months ago he was in a bad car accident. I forget whose fault it was. He needed 6 months off work, and then had to be slowly eased back into driving. He was a bit of a mess during the whole period, and had basically just gotten back to near full health.

Then today, he's turning a corner near the end of a run, and he runs over a pedestrian. To the point where the pedestrian is now in hospital in a critical condition. Details are rather sketchy, however he was turning right at an intersection which was "no right turn - buses excepted". I know the intersection - it's a pain in the arse, cos you have to let all the through traffic through before you can turn, and usually by then you are on a red light while opposing traffic gets a new green right turn arrow.

Worst case scenario, he's up for manslaughter. At the least I dare say he's up for culpable driving causing grievous bodily harm. And no matter what happens, I dare say he'll be pretty fucked up for a while. If the guy lives and sues, he could lose everything he has. Including his job, as the Government won't employ people with criminal records.

I tell you what though, it really put my problems into perspective. No matter what happens to me, I won't potentially have to face having killed someone. Poor bastard.

Provost Harrison
19-04-2005, 12:34:58
Oh crap...that is bad. This is sometimes my issue with certain punitive actions against motorists - the borderline between willful negligence or sheer accident/oversight. The intent is the important aspect in the crime and punishment...

Greg W
19-04-2005, 12:39:37
Jeese, and now I read Drekkus' thread. :cry:

Provost Harrison
19-04-2005, 12:41:58
Yeah...well we all have our problems regardless of the magnitude, all we can do is try to overcome them...

Funko
19-04-2005, 12:43:40
That is bad. :(

I hope the injured guy pulls through. If not I imagine the guilt would be horrendous.

PH: If he did something wrong that caused a death, well that's why it's manslaughter not murder with the corresponding lower sentence. It depends on the exact details of the situation though, if it's a total accident and he didn't do anthing wrong he won't be punished...

Provost Harrison
19-04-2005, 12:49:18
Yeah, that's the theory but it doesn't seem to work out like that though...it's the point where revenge seems to kick in rather than punishment if someone has killed someone on the road through a lapse of concentration for example. If they were drunk or speeding then the matter is different, that is willful neglect...it gets very blurry...

Greg W
19-04-2005, 13:00:51
Originally posted by Funko
It depends on the exact details of the situation though, if it's a total accident and he didn't do anthing wrong he won't be punished... As I said, details are sketchy. However, in this country, if you hit a pedestrian, unless they literally stepped out in front of you, you're pretty much at fault.

Apparently Don told a mutual friend that he never saw the bloke.

I honestly can't see how he'll get out of it, though I sure hope he does.

protein
19-04-2005, 13:28:57
oh man. poor guy.

is this international depressing news day?

Cruddy
19-04-2005, 13:33:18
Lousy situation. Not knowing what's going to happen must be hard to bear.

Just as he's got better.

Tizzy
19-04-2005, 13:33:45
Seems to be.

:(

Gary
19-04-2005, 14:23:32
:(

BigGameHunter
19-04-2005, 23:26:58
Uhhh....I got a promotion!

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
19-04-2005, 23:27:54
Damn. Just when it was looking up... :D

BigGameHunter
19-04-2005, 23:36:36
That's kind of how I took it...one of those "here's a shitload of pressure and a new title, combined with a pretty insulting bonus in pay. Enjoy!" kind of things.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
19-04-2005, 23:42:59
Oh hey, just like my month to month experiences at work... except without the new title. And no pay rise at all. Stupid staff reshuffling...

Japher
19-04-2005, 23:46:45
first my boss gets mad at me because he can't promote me? (I'm confused too)
then a new pope
then Drekkus' news
then I get told I don't have a new job, and I don't get a reason
then this poor sod starts to make me happy
then BGH gets promoted

what a sheity day... Dominos is right; Tuesdays suck

Tizzy
20-04-2005, 08:48:51
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
That's kind of how I took it...one of those "here's a shitload of pressure and a new title, combined with a pretty insulting bonus in pay. Enjoy!" kind of things.

About the same as me too. Although I did have a dream last night the pay rise was pretty decent, maybe it's a premonition.

Funko
20-04-2005, 11:17:39
I'm glad your pay rise meeting wasn't yesterday....

Greg W
20-04-2005, 11:31:29
Oh, the only bad thing that did happen today was that we learned that the guy that had been run over had passed away. Doh for Don.

Tizzy
20-04-2005, 11:38:49
Poor Don

Gary
20-04-2005, 13:00:45
Poor pedestrian

Greg W
20-04-2005, 13:03:14
Indeed. On both counts.