PDA

View Full Version : PVR heaven!

Nav
13-04-2005, 18:00:14
I bought a new gadget last week. A Topfield TF5800 PVR (Personal Video Recorder).

It comes with a 160gb hardrivve and two digital tuners. (can record upto 88 hours)

It can record two channels at the same time (and depending on what channels you are recording on, watch a third). You can watch recordings before they've finished as well.

Also can do timeshifting so you can rewind up to an hour of live tv...

I've had it for about a week and I don't know how I coped without it before....

found a more indepth review here...
http://www.ivorysky.com/index.php/2005/04/05/p166/Topfield-TF5800-PVR-Review.html

protein
13-04-2005, 18:12:53
Can you fast forward through RSPCA adverts? :cry:

Nav
13-04-2005, 18:15:53
Always good to start a programme on ITV, C4 etc 10-15 mins behind so you can skip over those pesky ads. ;)

Also Good for those annoying 30min film news breaks on ITV.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
13-04-2005, 20:49:52
Friend of mine back home has a Topfield. He says he doesn't know how he lived without it too. He can also rip programs from the machine to his PC. They're large, but with the proper encoding tool you can get them small and store them on a DVD relatively compactly. Better than a VCR, definitely.

Cruddy
13-04-2005, 21:52:07
People that can't cope without TV?

Sad, sad people.

Nav
14-04-2005, 21:17:24
er Did I actually say that? No I don't think so. :rolleyes:

You can also program your own customisations which is quite cool. Unfortunately it's in C++ or something so I will have to stick with downloading what other (sad, sad) people write..

However I doubt im ever going to have the time to watch all the stuff I have / will be recording!

Darkstar
15-04-2005, 07:59:33
Going to have to hurry if you are in the US and want to be able to copy your shows to PC hard drives. Starting July 1, the "Broadcast Flag" goes into effect. It's this stupid little flag that all new DVR hardware sold in the US have to spot, and not allow COPYING to any hard-drive. And PCs aren't supposed to show anything with its Broadcast Flag set, but I haven't heard of any manu or microsoft stating they'd even bother looking for it.

Anyways... big media doesn't want you recording your shows, and it especially doesn't want you copying and sharing it. Why? Advertising! If you aren't sitting in front of the boob tube when they think you are, they cannot "charge" appropriately. So, they are screaming and hollering and crying about it. And trying every lawsuit they can think of against any DVR capable manufacture. Been fun reading how they waste their money and the cases get dismissed, but one day, that might change. Once they can show how their children are being harmed by them not getting big bucks because people are "time shifting" and "sharing" what they've recorded, so they have 0 metrics on who watched what.

Of course, their solution is to put a chip in your head that monitors what you watches constantly, through your eyes, and sends that back to them, hundreds of times a day. Then, you can do whatever you want, as they'll just monitor every living human being and charge advertisers as appropriate. Seriously. That's their suggested solution. Don't think its going to happen. Just a crazy feeling of mine...

Gary
15-04-2005, 08:56:23
I watch too much TV already. That and PC/Internet and apparently no willpower, are the banes of my life (apart from everything else that is).

Implanted microchips ? Not going to happen ... yet. And when it does it'll be by government decree, not TV mogul desire (unless they get the ear of the politicians to disguise the full reasons for passing the law, that is.)

Funko
15-04-2005, 09:04:50
How much does that cost Nav?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
15-04-2005, 11:47:05
Big Media is in decline. Slwo decline, maybe, but it seems they don't know they're dead yet.

What use is a broadcast flag to keep their content off the Internet, when the Next Big Thing is content on demand streamed over them you guesed it, Internet? :D

TV is eventually going to move into a more podcasting-type space. Advertising may have to move to a voluntary based system, where consumers choose ads they WANT to watch, rather than have them forcefed. Of course, this may necessitate paying the consumners to watch specific ads, so the reward that is lacking now would be there as an enticement.

Nav
15-04-2005, 19:47:54
300. You can only really get it from Turbosat who are the offical UK distributor as well..
http://www.turbosat.com/acatalog/Topfield.html

oh and that site mentions 'Amazing games'. Well they're not, the games on our mobiles are way better! ;)

Darkstar
17-04-2005, 02:42:33
VoD is supposed to have the broadcast flag, so that you cannot copy it.

In fact, the MPAA just successfully sued a DVD Burner maker because their hardware ignored the existance of the "Broadcast Flag". So they are expanding it to be no copying, anywhere. A simple flag to stop all reproduction.

Gee, can't imagine how big the market is going to get for getting a mod chip that lets your hardware ignore that stupid bit of data. But the market is going to be big, if they manage to get the broadcast flag made into law elsewhere.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
17-04-2005, 03:05:49
I do believe they can do nothing about hardware manufactured overseas, and there's bound to be at least one manufacturer, even if it ends up being China :)

They might be able to do something about restricting imports, or retaliate against distributors. But there's technically nothing they can do about it if you get someone living in antoher country to air mail you the latest burner and software that is 'broadcast flag free'.

Darkstar
17-04-2005, 03:15:36
I'm not really worried. I remember how easily that people got around "don't copy" flags back on the old Atari and Macs. It's trivial to get around. And people will bother to get around it. So the whole thing is ultimately just a waste of time.