PDA

View Full Version : Bastard fucking twats...

Provost Harrison
13-04-2005, 17:57:31
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/4439441.stm

70mph is a ridiculous speed limit for a motorway anyway, it should be higher. The problem is where people don't leave enough distance to the car in front and who don't check when changing lanes (yeah, I'm talking to you bitch on the A2 the other day!). The speed limit should be higher but they should be more vigilant for people doing stupid things...

No one does 70mph anyway except old grannies, and is certainly not applicable to present day motorways.

More damn moneymaking...

Caligastia
13-04-2005, 18:03:59
You're complaining about 70?! In the US it's usually 55 or 65!

MOBIUS
13-04-2005, 18:04:28
Bastard cunting sons and daughters of syphilitic whores!!!:mad:

It takes long enough driving to London from Cardiff at the best of times!:shoot:

Won't be long before the floodgates open and other authorities are emboldened by this move!

MOBIUS
13-04-2005, 18:06:22
Originally posted by Caligastia

Don't even let me begin about US driving practices!:shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

At least Arizona was enlightened speedwise with a limit of 75 IIRC.

Provost Harrison
13-04-2005, 18:07:02
Yeah, that is my worry MOBIUS...I've heard about the one on Victoria Embankment where it is a 20 for no readily apparent reason and they put those speed cameras on that measure your speed between cameras rather than at fixed points like Gatso's. It's like a licence to print money!

And Cali, more fool the US, you should do something about that! Look at autobahns in Germany!

MOBIUS
13-04-2005, 18:09:36
How else are you expected to get around such a big country and not speed? I only got caught once and I got let off...:p

Provost Harrison
13-04-2005, 18:10:40
Yeah, I once got stopped on the M18 for doing quite some speed, but he just told me not to do it again and drove off...

MOBIUS
13-04-2005, 18:10:52
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
I've heard about the one on Victoria Embankment where it is a 20 for no readily apparent reason and they put those speed cameras on that measure your speed between cameras rather than at fixed points like Gatso's.

I'm feeling a Victor Meldrew moment coming on!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Asher
13-04-2005, 18:12:59
What a whiner!

Provost Harrison
13-04-2005, 18:18:22
I think the word you are looking for is "winner" Asher :p

Asher
13-04-2005, 18:22:20
The sad thing is, that's the funniest joke you've ever made.

Provost Harrison
13-04-2005, 18:24:00
You've obviously not seen many of my jokes. As people tell me, I am far more funny in person too ;)

The Shaker
13-04-2005, 18:26:43
Yeah, that is my worry MOBIUS...I've heard about the one on Victoria Embankment where it is a 20 for no readily apparent reason and they put those speed cameras on that measure your speed between cameras rather than at fixed points like Gatso's. It's like a licence to print money!

DAMN THEM!

Next you'll be getting wanted criminals invited to 'parties' where they've won a holiday , but it turns out that it's been arranged by the police.

Yep stupid people abound in our society.

The limits are there, the cameras are there,
basic sums mean camera + speeding = penalty.

If the limits are too low and it can be justified raising the limits, then surely this mass of foaming at the mouth rampaging madmen should campaign for raising of limits, rather than spending all their time screaming and shouting about getting caught doing something they know will get them a penalty if they get caught doing it.

The cameras ensure people abide by the laws.
One of the points oin having a police force is to enforce the laws.
However, as a society we define the laws.
If the law is wrong change it, but once it is changed it still needs to be enforced.

The Shaker
13-04-2005, 18:27:50
plus I don't have a car so I don't care :)

MOBIUS
13-04-2005, 18:28:56
Yeah well the moment you get a car you'll change your tune pretty quick...;)

The Shaker
13-04-2005, 18:29:41
yup :)

Provost Harrison
13-04-2005, 18:30:29
A sense of proportion Shaker, that speed limit was set when the horse and carriage was on the go (I exaggerate but the point still stands - a long time ago) and just isn't applicable to today. Motorways are the safest roads around so whereas speed limit restrictions are largely legitimate in built-up areas motorways are a completely different matter as they are only populated by motorists. And the only danger is people not following other safety rules of the road, the speed isn't a particular issue. And besides, how much do you drive? ;)

Caligastia
13-04-2005, 18:35:23
What is a normal speed limit on the motorways in England anyway?

MOBIUS
13-04-2005, 18:36:07
I agree.

There are plenty of roads I know of where speed limits should be as low as 20. I hate having someone up my arse in town when I'm doing 30.

But the speed limits on the motorways and many dual carriageways are simply ludicrous - and there isn't really any set pattern either.

As for windy country lanes with blind corners and dips - well isn't the speed limit 60 for those!:lol:

Caligastia
13-04-2005, 18:36:18
Originally posted by MOBIUS
Don't even let me begin about US driving practices!:shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

At least Arizona was enlightened speedwise with a limit of 75 IIRC.

You must have really been suffering when you were in NZ then...with our ridiculous limit of 100Kph

Provost Harrison
13-04-2005, 18:36:20
70mph (110km/h)

Provost Harrison
13-04-2005, 18:37:20
Originally posted by MOBIUS
As for windy country lanes with blind corners and dips - well isn't the speed limit 60 for those!:lol:

Exactly, I've come across single carriageways like that where if you actually tried to do that speed you'd end up in a ditch pretty damn quickly...

MOBIUS
13-04-2005, 18:38:43
What is a normal speed limit on the motorways in England anyway?

70. But you really have to be a blind arthritic pensioner to be sticking to that...

I'd say average car drivers do at least 80 and people like me do whatever they can get away with...;)

MOBIUS
13-04-2005, 18:41:20
Exactly, I've come across single carriageways like that where if you actually tried to do that speed you'd end up in a ditch pretty damn quickly...

When I did my Advanced Driving course out past your way there were roads where you could only drive 10-20mph safely - 60 my arse!:clueless:

The Shaker
13-04-2005, 18:42:01
A sense of proportion Shaker, that speed limit was set when the horse and carriage was on the go (I exaggerate but the point still stands - a long time ago) and just isn't applicable to today. Motorways are the safest roads around so whereas speed limit restrictions are largely legitimate in built-up areas motorways are a completely different matter as they are only populated by motorists. And the only danger is people not following other safety rules of the road, the speed isn't a particular issue. And besides, how much do you drive? ;)

Which cars do you mean.
My old Mini started burning at 70mph.
Certainly it was never able to get out of the way of the maniacs driving up to my pooper at 120mph.

Anyway like I said, you should be campaigning to get the speed limit raised, not get the cameras removed. After all it wouldn't matter if the limit gets raised to 250mph would it, you aint likely to get caught doig that :)

"240 people died or were seriously hurt on the M4 in Wiltshire last year"

So if that's one of the safest roads....

Now my impression is that crashing at 70mph is as terminal for your health as crashing at 85mph so cameras won't make much different here, but get all hazy about the difference between this good driving and bad driving lark. The faster you go, the less chance you (and everyone around you) have to react to changing circumstances.
In my experience most people, if they had an invisible driving instructer monitoring their driving, would find that they would fail the driving test straight off. I know for one i gave in on the 'stupid' never cossing your hands way of turning the steering wheel almost as soon as i got on the road.

But yes, I agree that speed cameras on motorways are stupid ideas, there are plenty of town areas where they are needed more, like down our high street here for example.

Provost Harrison
13-04-2005, 18:44:49
I don't quite understand the relevence of what you are prattling on about, but as I have said, the problem is with people who do not leave an appropriate distance between themselves and the car in front, not the speed, which no one follows anyway...

MOBIUS
13-04-2005, 18:47:31
Maybe we should all move to Germany...:gasmaske:

The Shaker
13-04-2005, 18:50:04
don't forget that your approprate distance varies depending on your speed ;)

Provost Harrison
13-04-2005, 18:51:20
Originally posted by The Shaker
don't forget that your approprate distance varies depending on your speed ;)

Hence the 2 second rule :p

MDA
13-04-2005, 18:53:24
The jeep I used to drive started resonating about 70 mph - smoothed back out again as you approached 75. Good times.

People are tailgating jerks here, that's why the limits are so low. It also saves lives.

Although, with government paying for health care, I guess high speed accidents that kill people are better than lower speed ones that only maim them. :p

The Shaker
13-04-2005, 18:53:50
Trouble with me is i'm a gabbler.

onetwothreefourfiveisix :)

The Shaker
13-04-2005, 18:55:36
Originally posted by MDA
The jeep I used to drive started resonating about 70 mph - smoothed back out again as you approached 75. Good times.

People are tailgating jerks here, that's why the limits are so low. It also saves lives.

Although, with government paying for health care, I guess high speed accidents that kill people are better than lower speed ones that only maim them. :p

I got up to 80 in it, but the burning wouldn't go away.
The shuddering is also encouraging.

Also there was terrified shrieking from the passengers (this being a rather old car there were no seatbelts in the back either).
Not many people asked me for lifts around that period.

Provost Harrison
13-04-2005, 18:55:55
I like that logic MDA ;)

Well modern cars are fine...mine will do 80-90 without batting an eyelid...

MOBIUS
13-04-2005, 18:59:56
Originally posted by MDA

Yeah. But the thing that infuriated me the most was that 'moving blockade' that people seem to do in the US where the car in the fast lane is travelling at EXACTLY THE SAME SPEED as the car in the slow lane!:clueless: :clueless: :clueless:

Provost Harrison
13-04-2005, 19:04:58
Now that pisses me off no end...and the infamous 'elephant race' as the Germans call it...

MDA
13-04-2005, 19:05:19
Haulers will sometimes do that to stop a *really* fast moving car. Regular drivers do it because they're on the phone, reading a paperback or newspaper, doing makeup or hairstyling, and just in general have no regard for good manners or other human beings.

Some of those same people will bend over backwards to help you if they meet you in person. Driving provides the same psychological "anonymity" the internet does, but I'll let Darkstar tell you about that.

MOBIUS
13-04-2005, 19:13:00
Well whatever it is, I reckon I encountered it there more times in that single holiday than I have done in all the rest of my 15 years of driving. No exaggeration.

Really!:shoot:

Provost Harrison
13-04-2005, 20:26:56
Originally posted by Asher
The sad thing is, that's the funniest joke you've ever made.

Now my funniest joke ever is this:

Q: Why do the Borg make rubbish electronics?

A: Because resistance is futile...

BOOM BOOM!

MOBIUS
13-04-2005, 20:28:44
:lol:

MDA
13-04-2005, 20:34:37
Ohm I! That was awful.

Oerdin
14-04-2005, 01:05:23

In which states? It hasn't been the double nickle for at least the last decade and in California freeways are 65mph in city core, 70mph in suburbs, and 75mph in rural areas. There were talking about bumping everything up another 10mph but the insurance companies all banded together to block it.

It appears the insurance companies want people to get more tickets because it allows them to raise rates and make more money.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
14-04-2005, 03:01:38
It's not 75 is this rural area. 65 all the way from San Fransisco down to at least San Luis Obispo, and probably all the way down to LA along 101. There are stretches around San Juan Bautista and Prunetucky that are 55 because of the blind curves, cross traffic and general stupidity.

Not, you get on I-5, and you can get 75mph in some areas, but that's only because the thing is dead straight and 6 lanes across.

Funko
14-04-2005, 09:43:40
240 deaths?! I knew it was a lot.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
14-04-2005, 10:18:17
130 km/h, but you usally have to go 150 to avoid having braindead germans in your trunk.

Drekkus
14-04-2005, 11:08:55
Ah, the only raison d'etre for germany is the autobahn. Driving 180 km/h on the right lane with cars whizzing by on your left.